Prometheus - Ridley Scott's Alien 'prequel' *SPOILERS*

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Re: Prometheus - Ridley Scott's Alien 'prequel' *SPOILERS*

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

I sure as shit am not paying hard cold bucks to see this.
No Cunting Elves
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

there's nothing you need to see on the big screen

I'm mostly offended by this movie for reasons that relate to my status as prometheus scholar, and I feel like I'd hate this even if I'd never seen/loved prometheus, but I can't be sure. my girlfriend is convinced that I'd LOVE it if it weren't for the prometheus connections, so...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
good: intro w/ weyland, gay fassbender stuff, danny mcbride being tolerable, any seimetz & that backburster scene, that scene where daniels is on the cargo ship being flung around and using the crane to grab the beast (even if unrealistic), the extended version of the prologue/crossing stuff that I was already completely in love with, kurt cobain "follow me" reveal a la larry fishburne in predators, franco dying immediately, the silly ending setting up a potentially fun sequel (probably straight to Netflix at this rate...), the idea of the david's curio cave

bad: killing shaw like that, completely insulting/nonsensical "science" david does to connect the dots to alien because apparently people are that stupid, shiny CGI creatures & lack of practical effects, even goofier tone-arc than theatrical cut of prometheus, launching yet more shit out of an airlock / recycling the end of alien 3, horseshit deceptive LV-426 musical cue, people slipping on blood twice, that spaceballs tribute birth scene where the fully formed tinye beast comes out, dr. manhattan being cool with inspecting the egg, "man of faith" shit going absolutely nowhere, nothing to think about, no tension, buh

weird: that solar flare setting things in motion. is that the first time a truly random event has driven things in these movies? left a bad taste in my mouth...
I heard there would be another movie set in between prometheus and covenant, which is pretty silly: there should be THREE movies between them...
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
RY4N
Unquestionable Presence

Post by RY4N »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
right after david saves the covenant crew from the velociraptor, i mean monkey xenomorph; there's a long shot of the xeno-ape just running across the courtyard full of charred remains. The way it looked was so goofy and out of place i knew immediately that i was in for a rough middle and end
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
It did look like there were a couple of shots of the xenomorph in the cargo area where it looked like practical effects/guy in a suit and it looked really good. Bad thing is the movie had jumped the shark by then...
spacehamster wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 3:07 pm
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I'll also say that having thought about it now, I'm okay with this as an origin story. Genetically engineered by a psychotic robot for the sole purpose of wiping out the human race, i.e. Daddy Issues, the Creature Feature? Fine, whatever. Could've been worse.
Yeah, and I'm okay with it being a bridge to hopefully a better movie. I must say, not only do I like Prometheus, I can appreciate it so much more now...it's so much fucking better :lol: Someone needs to get Ridley Scott some better writers, I mean when you wish the movie was written by Damon Lindelof instead, damn.

Covenant SHOULD have mostly been
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
David experimenting on Shaw (I don't mind her being dead but at least delve into this some more, one of the only aspects of the movie that excited me), Engineer shit (ANYTHING) and more David in general without that worthless Covenant crew getting in the way. Of course that loser with the rifle was going to shoot that alien away from David :roll:
but yeah the condensed life cycles bugged me too.
Last edited by Ray on Tue May 23, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

ryan13: ahaha yeah - I thought the first act was pretty solid but then...

R4Y: wholeheartedly agree
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

edited for full quick rant
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

worst fucking vern
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

solid mini rant
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I agree that the david-as-frankenstein thing is kind of OK on paper

it's more of a dare I say semiotic transgression, vis a vis prometheus

prometheus frames things in terms of infinite regression: engineers made humans made androids and they're all sentient and nobody is safe. we don't know who made the engineers and we don't know who the androids might make, and that's important to establishing the expansive feel. the goo is concentrated devouring chaos, the anti-life, the raw stuff of nihil-beasts, and everyone is vulnerable*. it doesn't fit into this framework in a meaningful way; it's an interloper and usurper, violently and selfishly entropic

covenant presents a closed circle: humans make androids that make aliens that kill humans ... this roshambo stuff is cute but doesn't serve the Cosmic Horror cause as well as the vastness of the promethean framework does. it's too damn tidy. it makes me feel claustrophobic, and not in the "trapped in a room with an alien" way.

*I'll admit that there's a weakness here: androids are not explicitly shown to be prey of the goo-output/alien - but we assume they will be due to bishop's fate. covenant rewrites things when david fearlessly interacts with the neomorph, which annoyingly collapses things into that tripartite ouroboros
Last edited by Necrometer on Tue May 23, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RY4N
Unquestionable Presence

Post by RY4N »

predator made the engineers!
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

ahahaha <3
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Ray wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 6:54 pm
Covenant SHOULD have mostly been
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Of course I'm fine with all of this stuff being abandoned because Prometheus is a dogshit movie and everything it added to the franchise lore was retarded and misguided, but it does seem an awful lot like Scott just went "fuck it" and started over from scratch again. Wiping out the Engineers in a five-second flashback scene being the best example. It's actually kind of hilarious.
As for better writers, let's face it, Ridley Scott's ego is going to ruin all of this. I don't know if it was here that someone already pointed this out, but he clearly overestimates the degree to which this franchise is his idea (same with Blade Runner), and nobody's going to tell him otherwise because he's Ridley Scott and he can do whatever he damn well pleases. He's going to run it all into the ground. The truth is, for as influential as this thing has been, it was basically dead after Aliens and it should've stayed that way. Even though I'm one of the five people who liked Alien 3.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

I just saw it, the Kermode review was pretty accurate.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

breaking meme-grade review:

Prometheus rewards you for thinking
Covenant punishes you for thinking

also:
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/34388 ... -covenant/
:tup:
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Gee guys let's take this helmet off!?!!
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

AT LEAST THERE WERE HELMETS

and I was talking about the audience, not the scientist characters (who are free to be just as stupid as truckers tyvm)
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Necrometer wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:33 am breaking meme-grade review:

Prometheus rewards you for thinking
Covenant punishes you for thinking

also:
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/34388 ... -covenant/
As a spectacle - the movie looked fantastic, the Kermode comment on Scott as a world builder is Very true, but there was so much wrong - so much
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I just remembered the
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
alien POV cam!!! that was laaaaaaaaaaaaaaame, and the goofy snapchat filter they added was certainly not helping things...
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Necrometer wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:48 am I just remembered the
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
alien POV cam!!! that was laaaaaaaaaaaaaaame, and the goofy snapchat filter they added was certainly not helping things...
Yes, that was not necessary at all
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

http://www.audienceseverywhere.net/davi ... -covenant/ :fonz:

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
If you're inclined (and i dont blame you) to lean on the idea these prequel movies shouldnt exist at all then maybe the link isn't worth reading. Insofar as theres anything to be gained at following the threads that prometheus started i think this movie has, at the very least, the second or third best possible idea on where/why/how it should go and it made the whole thing worthwhile to me. whether its a good movie or not is almost beside the point. It has to be watched charitably just like prometheus was. There's probably maybe kinda 30+ minutes or so of 'good movie' in the whole thing. Anyway, i love that this franchise has always had these AI figures in them that had moments of agency and alien beauty but were always kinda sidelined by the scope of the plot or whathaveyou. In alien 3 (my favorite) the scene with an obliterated bishop having a conversation with ripley is one of the most beautiful scenes in the entire franchise. With prometheus and now this i think we have two movies that are way way more about AI characters than ever. David emerging as the central driving force was a bit of an actual surprise for me and even adds more meaning to his role in prometheus! He's like a long long long gestating and chest bursting surprise emerging from the bloody and stupid corpse of this idiotic fucking property :betternotstartanyshit: I'm actually inclined to laugh at all the terrible shit in this movie as much as you guys but I loved the David stuff in total. Not so much his goofball reveal but the completely insane chest bursting scene where the creature mimicked David was so unambiguously out of control I cannot help but love it. Thats how i've been feeling. That shit was kinda genius guys. The kissing and the fluting and the rhetoric :brokenheart: Also there's always been that movie logic thing where the AI's in the movie weren't really ever in danger except for Bishop at the end of Aliens and you could argue it was a result of a kind of female competition thing between the queen and ripley, You broke my eggs i'll break your friend type a deal. They fucking distort and reappropriate everything they touch including human structures when they make nests and yet not AI?

Also, like, for real.. nothing will be worse than Resurrection going forward. Nothing will be worse than that. Maybe thats two mondays removed monday morning quarterbacking but I dont care. If there's another movie after this one I will bet my life it will succeed or fail based on a completely superior set of criteria than what it takes to appreciate that movie. In terms of ideas, the best you can say about it is that it stole some cool stuff from the comics.

I had way more dumb random musings that kept popping up about this still but a lot of them got lost to the void because i got laid directly after the movie and its been a migraine headache in my life ever since.
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

I didn't really know this way a thing but also I mistakenly saw it in one of these DOLBY branded theatres with completely over the top seats and sound and screen, which in the end, once i got over the utter embarrassment i felt by its bullshit advertising itself to you before the movie even starts? PUNY HUMAN FEEL MY ENTERTAINMENT POWA AND BE AWED BOOOOOOOOOOOM, it was actually amazing.. :lol:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

also
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
i am probably now more than ever %100 against this type of snarky literalism? and these guys do make me laugh but i thought this was totally embarrassing. and hey we all do it to some extent but i dont understand moviegoers search for logic in places where there isn't anything but an ambiguous suspension of logic from the outset? where did the fucking criteria begin? which movie has the original perfect story logic to start with that we're going to draw from?

answering some movie logic questions can be done just as baselessly and creatively as the questioning itself! yo whats up with the gestation period in this stupid movie how comes its not the same as the others? hey maybe the gestation period of these creatures may have slowed down over time due to some survival adaptation in the various places it was seeded into. If it just burst out the moment it could grow maybe that meant it was more vulnerable than if it had time to hide and catch its hosts friends off guard? Since were seeing these mutations happen in the moment we never get to see them over the course of several gestation cycles away from the original host and how or why they get to adapt! or, whoa who cares :lol:

yes its dumb to see things happen in a movie and then change their mind in the middle of the same movie but we're also talking about a biomechanical insect person with concentrated acid for blood that can live in the vacuum of space. i..

as a game, somehow watch that video and type out all their questions and i will eventually attempt to answer them all with my powers of iditocy
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

:barf
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
i will also admit that i have had my standards for these types of movies hilariously eroded over time to the point that i can probably somehow enjoy anything. but in my defense, though i'd seen alien and aliens by the sixth grade, i saw alien 3 in the theatre and that was the one that truly belonged to me. i did not knowe it was 'bad' for years and years! iit was my movie moment of disobedience against my creator and any standard of decency.. my paradise lost?

as bad as the cgi looked in places i feel like this had more scattered moments where the creature had some kind of imposing physical heft to it. it was also huge ! and fleeting though it was it imparted the sensation they did in the second movie where they're just so fucking pissed at us :lol: why??? why are they so godamn angry at us??? :lol: i actually laughed so much in this movie..
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
ridley scott as rapidly aging and demented steward slash creator of a monster franchise concept that parallels the david arc nicely imho..

i didn't build this mess but by jove im going to break it in ways its creators would cower at :lol:

i am the sorta builder and sorta destroyer of worlds!! :ax: :ax: :ax: :ax:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

FVBTVS wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 11:20 ampowers of iditocy

i was waiting for this - almost pm'd you
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

helmets helmets helmets why don't they wear their helmets! that sure helped cain! wait..

TEAM CARE COORDINATOR