A noise guy named BLACK BLOC is coming over to my house

Music posts are a bannable offense.
MeatGrease
[citation needed]

Re: A noise guy named BLACK BLOC is coming over to my house

Post by MeatGrease »

Hey Bored, you should get this thread going again:
http://reeelapse.com/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... &start=175
Warning: this post may contain plagiarized text or language, some which may be above the poster's reading level.
canon.docre
Olde Timer

Post by canon.docre »

Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:
Hmm, the second two clips do not impress me. So the second one is a manipulation on the granularity of a tone. And the third one is mostly pure static.

This is what I'm getting at, it's too easy an artistic statement to push a button and make static. When you abandon rhythm, melody, and harmony, you are engaging with music as an artistic idea.
As Merzbow has commented, and I'm paraphrasing from my somewhat damaged memory banks, he makes noise because he "likes how it sounds." I simply enjoy taking in this kind of overbearing wall of sound. Somehow when The Rita (or other harsh noise acts) does this stuff, it makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck, and I get the same kind of physical reward that I do hearing other music that I like, its pleasing to me, it makes me feel good, it puts a smile on my face, etc. At that point I don't care if it can be categorized as music, or art, or whatever. I just like it, and I like listening to it. So while I've abandoned the argument of "is noise music? should we value it in the same way that we value music?" I assign it the same value, because as a listener, I get as much out of it. Its kind of fun for me because since becoming a musician, music has lost some of its "magic" for me that it held when I was young, but I can't break noise down and analyze it in the same way that I do when I'm watching a band and getting annoyed because their drummer can't keep his blasts locked down 100%.
[XHATEXBRIGADEX] because your a polotical faggot
MeatGrease
[citation needed]

Post by MeatGrease »

I think as a live performance it's pretty much worthless, but listening to a recording alone without the human association it can be a lot more artistically significant than other forms of music in that it becomes a landscape limited only by your imagination. A lot of it is bullshit but you wouldn't know it if you liked it. It doesn't say much for the people making this music, but the impression it leaves you speaks for its validity.
Warning: this post may contain plagiarized text or language, some which may be above the poster's reading level.
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Kurt Russell's Beard »

canon.docre wrote:
Hmm, the second two clips do not impress me. So the second one is a manipulation on the granularity of a tone. And the third one is mostly pure static.

This is what I'm getting at, it's too easy an artistic statement to push a button and make static. When you abandon rhythm, melody, and harmony, you are engaging with music as an artistic idea.
As Merzbow has commented, and I'm paraphrasing from my somewhat damaged memory banks, he makes noise because he "likes how it sounds." I simply enjoy taking in this kind of overbearing wall of sound. Somehow when The Rita (or other harsh noise acts) does this stuff, it makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck, and I get the same kind of physical reward that I do hearing other music that I like, its pleasing to me, it makes me feel good, it puts a smile on my face, etc. At that point I don't care if it can be categorized as music, or art, or whatever. I just like it, and I like listening to it. So while I've abandoned the argument of "is noise music? should we value it in the same way that we value music?" I assign it the same value, because as a listener, I get as much out of it. Its kind of fun for me because since becoming a musician, music has lost some of its "magic" for me that it held when I was young, but I can't break noise down and analyze it in the same way that I do when I'm watching a band and getting annoyed because their drummer can't keep his blasts locked down 100%.
And that's totally valid and special. I have music that does that for me too. Except it's hard to use that experience in arguments since importing the subjective joy experience (removed from the cultural mesh that assigns aesthetics) into an objective realm is like arguing a different question entirely. I forget which fucktard here used the "special snowflake of personal opinion" on art, I think it was simmfucco, but it's a different type of argument and incompatible with the understanding of a cultural definition of art through myriad of movements, opinions, dominant gatekeepers, iconoclasts, etc. To wit, (since I'm seeing this tonight at the SF symphony, along with a Ligeti piece, fuck yeah!), we have compelling understanding of why Beethoven's 9th is important to the extent that it is assigned greater weight of art. Those who argue against this in favor of some aesthetic relativism are not actually arguing the terms correctly. Those who listen to rainforest samples and claim to find greater enjoyment in that, or noise, or bird song, or whatever, are not wrong, they're just engaged in a different argument. It's tempting to bristle at the indignation of this suggestion, but the fluidity and impermanence of "art" means that nothing is invalid, given a long enough temporal scale. And shouldn't personal enjoyment be enough, actually overpower any need to legitimize one's own joy within a framework that is really just a measurement of cultural assignments?

What I'm saying is, well, shit, Pisscubes just said it and I didn't see it. Fuck.
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

altars of radness
Olde Timer

Post by altars of radness »

F. Murray Sandyclam wrote:I prefer to think in terms of individual artists and their own histories...and then the way those personal histories interact, change each other or form some kind of "culture" in relation to consumers.
Great fucking point, and almost NEVER brought up with music. I see this in lit crit sometimes, but never music.
With "interaction" are you guys thinking about contemporaries influencing each other through their work, through actually spending time together or both? I think in the past, that kind of camaraderie was a little more common -- in free jazz circles, in the Black Flag era of hardcore, Bowie/Iggy/Lou Reed -- and those examples involved people who were at the creative cusp of something new. They weren't just helping each other make new music, they were helping each other understand what they were even doing. In any artistic area, I think when a new movement springs up, the vanguard makes an effort to reach out to each other. There just hasn't been something like that in music recently. Maybe late 80s/early 90s death metal?

I think one difference between musicians and writers in this aspect is a practical one: it's always been easier for two or three writers to meet and share ideas than it is for bands (although that could be true for horn players). It was a lot more practical for Gore Vidal to fly to Tangiers to hang out with Paul Bowles than it would be for Fugazi to pack up their shit and go to the Netherlands to jam with The Ex.

I also think that musicians are a lot more competitive than writers.
Erik13 wrote:Does anyone have pics of Ron shirtless?
http://teenagedesires.bandcamp.com
http://mockduck.bandcamp.com
Cascade Whore
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Location: A sterilized but unpressed gift from a nose-holding charity which passes out clothing to slum drunks

Post by Cascade Whore »

I got about as much enjoyment out of this as watching paint dry. Clips of Sicknesses solo work are fun to watch as he seems to have honest tension forming just from lurching over his pedals and changing the sounds as opposed to performance artist noise like Cock ESP, or Masonna throwing himself around onstage, ect.

This though........I'd rather watch Vomir stand in one spot for 20 minutes with a plastic bag on his head.
Wank night's cancelled
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

i really can't stand the laptop noise craze.

but i find vomir's schtick even more nauseating.
Cascade Whore
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Location: A sterilized but unpressed gift from a nose-holding charity which passes out clothing to slum drunks

Post by Cascade Whore »

BUNGVOX wrote:i really can't stand the laptop noise craze.

I love the clips where they passout bags for audience members, with precut eye and nose holes(I thought the whole idea behind the plastic bag gimmick was sensory deprivation except for the noise) and people kind of headbanging with premade plastic bags on their heads :lol:
Wank night's cancelled
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

i must say that i enjoyed vomir for the fact that he wrote a manifesto which described his art and what it was he was trying to accomplish.

i also appreciate the fact that he has stuck to his manifesto and has not evolved one iota.

however.....you hear one vomir release you've heard em all.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

fallbacktostone wrote:
:fonz: good job dude
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

this thread totally got boring after page 2...

"this guy makes noise that sounds like noise..."

shut the fuck up....
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

CALL ME A FAGGOT
Unrest

Post by CALL ME A FAGGOT »

I have to admit, there is something of a sophomoric quality to being a noise artist. I recall doing a noise project with a friend back in my (small, rather isolated) hometown in the midwest, and we thought we were just absolutely brilliant and so fucking avantegarde. We were out there doing a thing that nobody else was doing, and the local scene showered us with praise. Then I moved east for university and realized that it was a thing that every other dumbshit hipster was doing. I still like collecting noise tapes and 7"s from the dollar bin at the record store, though.
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

soiled depends wrote:this thread totally got boring after page 2...

"this guy makes noise that sounds like noise..."

shut the fuck up....
i make noise that soubds like noyze.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Febtus, fuck off.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

canon.docre wrote: The Rita

the rita and myself have a collaboration project called incision. we got another release coming out soon. we keeps it brutal.

http://www.discogs.com/Incision-You-Don ... se/1027779
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Geeheeb wrote:Febtus, fuck off.

(•_•)
<) )╯Haters
/ \

\(•_•)
( (> Gonna
/ \

(•_•)
<) )> Hate
/ \
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

THATS IT, IM BACK TO READING EVERYONE'S PRIVATE MESSAGES
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
andy vomit
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Post by andy vomit »

not trying to hate on either act, but as boring as vomir is, i found skonhet to be worse (to watch)

i was at this gig, he wore his hoodie/hat/facemask all day (in 100 degree houston, TX heat, no less), set up his gear, turned it on, and stood there looking at it. a few minutes in he adjusted a knob on a pedal. then he looked at his gear some more. then it was over. i watched the whole thing just to see if something interesting might happen. it didn't.
"erections: mother nature's thumbs up."

the vomit arsonist - death industrial / power electronics
danvers state recordings - noise & pe label
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

andy vomit wrote:

not trying to hate on either act, but as boring as vomir is, i found skonhet to be worse (to watch)

i was at this gig, he wore his hoodie/hat/facemask all day (in 100 degree houston, TX heat, no less), set up his gear, turned it on, and stood there looking at it. a few minutes in he adjusted a knob on a pedal. then he looked at his gear some more. then it was over. i watched the whole thing just to see if something interesting might happen. it didn't.
it's almost insane the level of dedication some of these dudes have at doing nothing.
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

FVBTVS wrote:
fallbacktostone wrote:
:fonz: good job dude
Zerohero wrote:shooting cum on that hot chick that is my altar.
doubleblumpkin wrote:Guess who's riding a pig through the jungle 8)
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Ill body
/
Ill will
kevin hash
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by kevin hash »

I still make noise and i don't care who likes it or what they think of it. Nowadays i just put out less of it and try to make sure that when i listen to it i can identify it as me. Don't care about recreating it live. When i do play live that's something entirely different that i make written preparation for i.e. diagrams and instructions. Noise rules. Suck my pissy cock.

https://m.soundcloud.com/chuck-roast-1/i-miss-you-susan
TROLL WORLD ORDER 4 LIFE

:invcross: BUNGVOX got powerbombed off the stage because he wasn't T.W.O 4 LIFE brother. :invcross:

my hound dog's dump still hot - zerohero