A noise guy named BLACK BLOC is coming over to my house

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Re: A noise guy named BLACK BLOC is coming over to my house

Post by Kurt Russell's Beard »

Idget Child wrote:a lot of 20th Century composers find themselves in their own worlds while many American performance halls and orchestras continue to be memorial services for the long dead.
Very true. Idea music is iconoclastic because by dint of its newness it stands in opposition to the status quo. But then as it's embraced and codified it becomes the status quo. Look at what the dodecaphonic movement did, it made tonic composers hide!

I'm impressed with noise guys who know their equipment and can shape the experience. In effect the gear becomes an instrument. Nothing wrong with building a crazy instrument. (Lou Harrison.) You inch toward the concrete and electronics movement a la Stockhausen that way, but let's not kid ourselves, most noise kiddies aren't doing this. I'd also argue that learning the idiosyncrasies of a piece of gear and manipulating it is a far cry from studying instruments and composition. But I can respect it.
canon.docre
Olde Timer

Post by canon.docre »

anyone who looks down their nose at noise and plays in a grindcore band needs to seriously re-evaluate the significance of their 'art.' I suppose I'm spoiled, what with Noisefest happening every year here, and its certainly easy to see who is just fucking around, and who is spending a lot of time crafting their sound. Anyone who watches say, a Griefer performance, and understands music, but refuses to acknowledge the time and care put into rehearsal, could they please explain how is this more "valid" than shitting out guess-and-test 3 chord "songs".
[XHATEXBRIGADEX] because your a polotical faggot
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

I will never take noise seriously because of people like Robert.
Toilet Fleet wrote:dogs are shit tbqh
oh wow youre loyal, you know who else was loyal, fuckin goebbels
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

Cryptoplasty wrote:I will never take noise seriously because of people like Robert.
I would vote to have the entire National Endowment for the Arts directed towards funding Deadly Orifice exclusively, even if it meant completely dissolving the Navy or whatever.
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

E.E 3.0
i never knew u existed

Post by E.E 3.0 »

fallbacktostone wrote:Image
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

canon.docre wrote:anyone who looks down their nose at noise and plays in a electronica band needs to seriously re-evaluate the significance of their 'art.' I suppose I'm spoiled, what with Noisefest happening every year here, and its certainly easy to see who is just fucking around, and who is spending a lot of time crafting their sound. Anyone who watches say, a Griefer performance, and understands music, but refuses to acknowledge the time and care put into rehearsal, could they please explain how is this more "valid" than shitting out guess-and-test 3 chord "songs".
1. I haven't seen/heard probably a tenth of the noise you've heard. If there are some exceptions you'd recommend, I'll give them a whirl. Educate me. I'll open my mind to it, I promise. I'm not some little dickhead and you all know I love to admit when I'm wrong.
2. I do not consider grind "art." I consider it more of an entertainment, certainly not the weight of art that I think you're implying. That said, I consider most noise to be an even lesser form of entertainment, ha.
3. Where do I find the Griefer documentary? Steer me, dude.
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

E.E 3.0 wrote:
fallbacktostone wrote:Image
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

james wrote:Now that you guys are arguing about art and craft and stuff, I've also remembered a bit Robert said once... I think it was, "Talent is for jews, music is for kikes... noise comes from a thing called crack rock and AIDS. Don't let any sweater jew tell you different." It was something very similar to that, anyway. Words that stir the soul.
Restating for ultimate truth. Weird to see this thread pop up again!
Last edited by james on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storm shadow
Machine Gun Etiquette

Post by storm shadow »

Foot Foot wrote:a lot of the Japanese stuff is pretty awesome cause it's more focused on brutality and organic weirdness rather than pretending you're George Bataille.
As Zeno Marx used to say,

BINGO!

But I generally think the idea that any difficult or unusual music has to necessarily be humorless is pretty pernicious. Obviously everyone rightly hates bands that try to be funny, but the hard part is striking a balance where you're neither Weird Al nor some art student with spaghetti sauce in her vagina. What's the name of that grind band where all the songs are about Hawaii and luaus? That's the right idea if you ask me...

Less of this:

More of this:

james wrote:portable auschwitz
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

F. Murray Sandyclam wrote:Are you saying that it's really your sister that should be posting here?
She goes outside and does things. Wouldn't work.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

riley-o wrote:WHAT THE FUCK EVER HAPPENED WITH THIS
EBA:2a03.exe wrote:I fucking freaked out about Gravedale High a little earlier this year. I have about an EP worth of music written (almost completed even) about monster high school issues, and staying in school if you're a mummy, and getting like werewolf scholarships.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

riley-o wrote:
riley-o wrote:WHAT THE FUCK EVER HAPPENED WITH THIS
EBA:2a03.exe wrote:I fucking freaked out about Gravedale High a little earlier this year. I have about an EP worth of music written (almost completed even) about monster high school issues, and staying in school if you're a mummy, and getting like werewolf scholarships.
Wow I forgot about that. I can't even fucking begin to explain that whole situation.

http://www.myspace.com/ghoulschoolbte

some stuff is still up on here, no music though - I recorded a bunch of stuff, but the guy who was going to do vocals moved to Texas. There's more to it than that but it's hard to explain.

A Musical Entity Dedicated to the Secondary Education of Nuclear Persons

GHOUL SCHOOL is an iconic American monster rock band formed in Amherst, Massachusetts in 1984. Originally named The Beatles prior to legal issues, the band disbanded in 1997 until reuniting in 2005, signing to Bomb Threat Entertainment.

The band is largely credited as the primary influence of the Positive Monster Rock movement. Their lyrical and conceptual themes revolve almost entirely around promoting academic excellence amongst young nuclear persons and occult culture in general. They are widely remembered as the centerpiece of the 1992 "Souls for Goals" campaign, in which students meeting the requirements for several occult-related scholarships could enter to win a variety of prizes, the most famous of which was the soul of Benedict Arnold imprisoned within a bonsai tree.

Although rumors of a nationwide tour and an organized military assault on the city of Baltimore continue to circulate, the band remains secretive concerning their next move and the release of a yet-untitled album (their first in nearly ten years). Although specific details may remain vague for several months, longtime fans rest assured that GHOUL SCHOOL are back, and eager as ever to promote WHOLESALE SUPERNATURAL TERROR while serving as a positive influence on young people.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

Obviously NONE of that is true. Basically the idea was to make a record label (which was just me and photoshop and myspace) and invent an entire fictitious history for it. The idea was that I'd make up ideas for fake bands with crazy retarded fictitious bios and write a bunch of shitty music for each one. Then I'd get my freinds who are all musicians to come play bits and pose for pictures in masks and whatnot.

The dream was to have like two or three people play the roles of a half dozen bands, who would all be insane comic book characters, and then have them play out weird dramas and feuds like in professional wrestling, through these strange songs.

There were problems and most of it went undone. A shit ton of work was wasted. A lot of it's still on myspace though, and I have a lot sitting on old hard drives.
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

james wrote:Obviously NONE of that is true. Basically the idea was to make a record label (which was just me and photoshop and myspace) and invent an entire fictitious history for it. The idea was that I'd make up ideas for fake bands with crazy retarded fictitious bios and write a bunch of shitty music for each one. Then I'd get my freinds who are all musicians to come play bits and pose for pictures in masks and whatnot.

The dream was to have like two or three people play the roles of a half dozen bands, who would all be insane comic book characters, and then have them play out weird dramas and feuds like in professional wrestling, through these strange songs.

There were problems and most of it went undone. A shit ton of work was wasted. A lot of it's still on myspace though, and I have a lot sitting on old hard drives.
That is fucking rad.
altars of radness
Olde Timer

Post by altars of radness »

badgevvrecker wrote:noise is vital for taking the piss out of the self-importance most artists feel.
It's not that at all. A lot of the people playing noise are the most self-addicted pricks out there. If you want to take the piss, become a heckler. If you want to shake things up, you have to do more than sound like 30-year old Merzbow records.

The Sickness stuff I've heard has been alright. It's dynamic and brutally percussive and more of a sonic assault than any kind of pseudo-intellectual/pseudo-spiritual sham.

KRB, my buddy Kelly Churko does some fairly musical noise. He's done some really nice collaboration work with Guilty Connector as Lethal Firetrap. (He's also the guitarist/songwriter for AKBK, who were a killer grind band.)
Erik13 wrote:Does anyone have pics of Ron shirtless?
http://teenagedesires.bandcamp.com
http://mockduck.bandcamp.com
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

james wrote:The band is largely credited as the primary influence of the Positive Monster Rock movement.
This is my favourite part of anything in weeks.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

boston is totally pmr
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:That is fucking rad.
:tup:

Thank you!

It will all happen in some way someday. I'm not even beginning to scratch the surface of the whole story here. Best part: my well-meaning but less-than-precocious left hand man goes out on his own and spends a bunch of money to register bombthreatforms.com for two years. Complete big package deal with a bunch of space and everything. Doesn't consult any of the rest of us. Not only were we not using the name 'bomb threat' by the time it happened, his intention had been to set up a Bomb Threat forum. He didn't know the difference between the two words...
Cascade Whore
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Location: A sterilized but unpressed gift from a nose-holding charity which passes out clothing to slum drunks

Post by Cascade Whore »

storm shadow wrote: What's the name of that grind band where all the songs are about Hawaii and luaus?

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DauL43R_ ... re=related<
Wank night's cancelled
canon.docre
Olde Timer

Post by canon.docre »

Kurt Russell's Beard wrote: 1. I haven't seen/heard probably a tenth of the noise you've heard. If there are some exceptions you'd recommend, I'll give them a whirl. Educate me. I'll open my mind to it, I promise. I'm not some little dickhead and you all know I love to admit when I'm wrong.
2. I do not consider grind "art." I consider it more of an entertainment, certainly not the weight of art that I think you're implying. That said, I consider most noise to be an even lesser form of entertainment, ha.
3. Where do I find the Griefer documentary? Steer me, dude.
1. Regional favorites include Griefer, The Rita and Sistrenatus. Both are fucking stellar. Griefer has been leaning to some kind of percussive loops generated on the fly with contact-mic'd stuff, normally turning found objects into 'instruments' makes me overlook an act, but his shit lately is just fucking amazing. Sistrenatus is more dark ambient than noise, certainly not 'harsh noise.' Haunting stuff, though. I hate posting a myspace, but here we are .. http://www.myspace.com/sistrenatus

Griefer!!

The Rita

Honrable mention to Blue Sabbath Black Cheer even though they're not from around here. They just sound fucking demented. >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiOvUpXP ... re=related<

2. There is no accounting for taste. My original statement stands, anyone who ranks grindcore itself above anything else as far as value or worth, in any context, needs to give their head a shake. This comes from someone who is obsessed with grindcore. Now, ranking value or worth of bands within the genre of grindcore, I could get drunk and argue about that all night.

3. See above, although that barely does him justice.
[XHATEXBRIGADEX] because your a polotical faggot
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Thanks for taking the time to gather all that stuff for me, cxd. Listening to the first one now, which I like a lot (except for the piss poor transition at 3:59!).

If any other rad noise stuffs come to mind, shoot it all over my chin.

I will say that hearing this Griefer gent is making me want to revise some of my earlier posts. There is composition here, consideration with instrumentation and range, there's a lot going on. I can't dismiss this guy like the flopabout "freestyling" harsh noise dilfucks.

Hmm, the second two clips do not impress me. So the second one is a manipulation on the granularity of a tone. And the third one is mostly pure static. I worked at the center for Art and New Media MFA grad program at UCSC for five years and saw a lot of this. It's tired and laughable at this point.

This is what I'm getting at, it's too easy an artistic statement to push a button and make static. When you abandon rhythm, melody, and harmony, you are engaging with music as an artistic idea. And this idea has been staged way too much. So as art, it has little to say now. And as music, it has nothing to say (depending on the type of noise).

It's not really appropriate to compare noise and grind. Do you see that? They're attempting two different things. One is still trying to be music, messy, fast rock n roll. The other is engaging in something other than music.

If they ARE saying "this IS music" then they have to justify why and not just rest on the laurels of all the 20th century pioneers. Xenakis and Grisey and Dumitrescu have their grand schticks and positions. And sure, the "everyday" as music has been established, we've all read Cage's "Silence," but only in the barest of abstract acceptance is this really true. At the end of the day, harsh noise can be said to be music, but it has none of the real qualities of music that any culture on earth would recognize or value. Its only real claim and value is as idea art. Dude, I've studied spectralist compositions with David Cope. I'm familiar with "noise as music" and all that goes along with it. But take away all those ideas and history and academia and I have an art school twit bashing on a mixer and laptop.

It's very odd for me to try and even compare grind and noise. But I CAN assign weight here, and I can do so citing main texts on aesthetics and music, at least make an intelligent argument. I understand you think it's an incorrect position.

I do like that first clip though. Pretty fucking cool.
badgevvrecker
I know you are but what am I?

Post by badgevvrecker »

altars of radness wrote: If you want to shake things up, you have to do more than sound like 30-year old Merzbow records.
totally true
badgevvrecker
I know you are but what am I?

Post by badgevvrecker »

F. Murray Sandyclam wrote:
Pisscubes wrote:there needs to be at least a MODICUM of craft in what someone does
One would hope so.
have you seen the packaging? sorry guys, i just hear echoes of the arguments against punk rockers, grind bands, and dadaism.
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

F. Murray Sandyclam wrote:I prefer to think in terms of individual artists and their own histories...and then the way those personal histories interact, change each other or form some kind of "culture" in relation to consumers.
Great fucking point, and almost NEVER brought up with music. I see this in lit crit sometimes, but never music. And I think it's important for a bunch of reasons, I want to list them but have to actually do work now, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo