Sci Fi Speed Dating

Music posts are a bannable offense.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Re: Sci Fi Speed Dating

Post by james »

huh I didn't see anything here that inspired any hatred or disgust whatsoever, how strange

I liked every person featured in these videos (as they were presented anyway), empathized with them... left hoping that their lives work out as best as possible?
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

it's not hate or disgust - it's pity and embarrassment

I'm generally irritated with the underlying defeatist attitude - it's definitely something in common with the juggalos so I am not too shocked that you and I do not see eye to eye on this one

people should just be whoever they want to; extending this other-class unity social crutch beyond high school is socially stunting, I think
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
jen said destroy
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jen said destroy »

Blair wrote:What I hate about these fucks is that they failcave themselves into some sort of geek culture ghetto of body fat, geek culture garb, and thinkgeek accessories, when there was a time that if you were into science fiction, comics or rpgs, you may have been a little bit weird or awkward, but still a normal functioning adult whereas these manchildren are trying to claim that they represent science fiction, gaming, etc.

It's like they just gave up on being an adult.

I like to think that I'm a normal functioning adult who happens to be into comics and science fiction. It's tricky these days because now there's that "nerds are hot" trend, which is mostly people wearing fake glasses and pop culture mashup tshirts. Also this fucking amateur doesn't frame his prints. I dare not tape my personalized and signed items to the wall!
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

Smegma wrote:Is that

MOONBLOOD
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

do people seriously ever wear fake glasses
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

james wrote:huh I didn't see anything here that inspired any hatred or disgust whatsoever, how strange

I liked every person featured in these videos (as they were presented anyway), empathized with them... left hoping that their lives work out as best as possible?
I share your sentiments, but Necrometer explained my position better than I ever could. It's also that I'm old and grumpy and secretly a bleeding heart so my reaction to those sort of displays is that of some conservative middle aged dad, i.e. Natas. "Jesus Christ son! It's okay to like whatever you like but for fucks sake, pull your head out of your ass, be at least some sort of half-assed grown up, don't drape yourself in geek culture subculture regalia, and maybe you'll have some luck meeting a girl."

It's perfect comedy fodder, but it's also frustrating and sad seeing these people handicap themselves, compounded by their eager willingness to make their humiliation a public spectacle on a global scale.
Zerohero wrote:shooting cum on that hot chick that is my altar.
doubleblumpkin wrote:Guess who's riding a pig through the jungle 8)
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

jen said destroy wrote:I like to think that I'm a normal functioning adult who happens to be into comics and science fiction. It's tricky these days because now there's that "nerds are hot" trend, which is mostly people wearing fake glasses and pop culture mashup tshirts. Also this fucking amateur doesn't frame his prints. I dare not tape my personalized and signed items to the wall!
I think it's perfectly normal, and cool, for an adult to be into comics and science fiction. Ultimately anything that people enjoy is equally cool/lame, and I used to be a crusty, I play video games, I play Dungeons & Dragons, I'm in a black metal band, and I collect records, so it's not that I'm in any position to claim that their interests are worthless, but it's the casting of their identities into this geek-chic voidabyss where these people drape themselves in the failcave and take it with them everywhere they go that I find disturbing.

I think it's perfectly normal for an adult to be into comics and science fiction, but to manufacture an identity out of it? People are people, they're individuals, not bronys or geeks.

On further reflection, there are elements of conspicuous consumerism I find distasteful as well.
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

fallbacktostone wrote:
Smegma wrote:Is that

MOONBLOOD
I'm imagining a hospital mixup scenario where a werewolf's black metal warrior spawn got put in Nicolas Cage's baby's incubator and vice-versa.
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

Bob cuntz is actually some sort of "Obama is destroying freedom" whiner nowadays.
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

i think it was actually stallone's son who was named MOONBLOOD
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

Yes. Cage had the son named Kal-El, although I don't believe that that is the grim wintermoon svperstar pictured above.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

james wrote:Yes. Cage had the son named Kal-El, although I don't believe that that is the grim wintermoon svperstar pictured above.
yeah that's his son Weston up there, I think Kal-El is much younger
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

If you haven't had any face to face interactions with other humans for so long that you honestly don't realize making Chewbacca noises for longer than maybe half a second is unacceptable in any context, it's probably better to lock yourself up at home and never leave the house again.

Jesus, that fucking guy.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

Chad wrote:Idget child might be the worst poster here though...
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

Necrometer wrote:copstache, promise me that the next time you see your cousin you'll give him a pep-talk or maybe a wedgie

he needs something
hahaha i'm not sure if that's a burn on me or not

i'm in kind of a weird position in the geek world. some of you probably already know i used to work at a company that catered to the geek crowd. the funny thing is that almost everybody who worked there, me included, were what you could probably consider totally normal people that have super geeky tastes. i look at the people in these videos and see archetypes i'm familiar with, but can't associate myself with. i can keep up with them easily on a geek level but on a social level it makes me sad

i'm really not trying to have a superiority complex over this but i mean this is one of those situations where you can have your cake and eat it too. you can absolutely revel in geek culture and still be successful in life. your tastes may define your personality but they don't define your life. failcaves are not an eventuality.

i just realized that i'm not at MAGFest today because i volunteered to chip in some overtime this weekend to my awesome job

man this is the snobbiest post i've ever made. maybe i can balance it out by admitting i'm wearing this right now

if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Broken Into Pieces
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Broken Into Pieces »

james wrote:do people seriously ever wear fake glasses
seems like half the glasses-wearers in Korea have either empty frames or non-prescription lenses

the dude who played drums in my old band is short-sighted... so he wears contact lenses... and then wears non-prescription glasses over them :fp:
Image Image
Xbox 360: Pabo Byungshin
¡Viva los Rudos!
oskorei noise industries
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

copstache wrote:hahaha i'm not sure if that's a burn on me or not
I did my best to distance it from an apparent burn; I hope it doesn't sting you any more than those initial Fantano comparisons did for me Image

I could relate pretty well to the rest of your post (and not just because of all the condescention!)... there's something in me that cares very much about a lot of these shitty geeky mythologies out there, but all that interest would feel cheaper or insincere if I were to socially frame it the way these geek-daters would.

I know the show is selecting for the most clueless goofballs, and the aspergers needs and Geek mores dovetail all too nicely. At the same time, I don't doubt that I could attend such a speed dating and come away with a huge crush or some successful relationship. And the inverse is probably true for the normaler segment of the straight females attending.
jen said destroy
Don't mess with my shit.

I feel like I have to keep defending this thing since I was a participant and honestly if I'm single again at the next NYCC I'd probably give it another try. It was well organized and Ryan was a legit nice guy when the cameras were off. He was aware that some guys can be straight up creeps whether or not they are nerds and kept a watchful eye on us. I don't think I need to make it clear that most of the people featured are going to be the more eccentric/attention grabbing for the right (or wrong) reasons. It should also be noted that cons are the only places that some of these people might pump up their enthusiasm for these things and dress up because when in Rome....at least that was the case for me.

Also, I understand that these people aren't going to be successful at dating women while acting like pathetic self-depracatiing manchildren who haven't found that balance that a lot of the rest of us have. There are women like that too which is the point of that whole circus. I hate dating.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

You don't have to defend it. Like I just edited above, I would have loved to attend such a thing.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

same here. we should have a reee outing to sci-fi speed dating. except it would probably just be us making fun of the bargers in attendance
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote:You don't have to defend it. Like I just edited above, I would have loved to attend such a thing.
Same here. Some of these guys give me douche chills, but I'd totally participate.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I know, I know. Shut up.
Last edited by spacehamster on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

spacehamster wrote:
Necrometer wrote:You don't have to defend it. Like I just edited above, I would have loved to attend such a thing.
Same here. Some of these guys give me douche chills, but I'd totally participate.
I know, I know. Shut up.
as dudes, we somewhat have the advantage that, in my experience, the balance of failcave to normal geek girls is of a higher quality than the dudes.
Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

jen said destroy wrote: Also, I understand that these people aren't going to be successful at dating women while acting like pathetic self-depracatiing manchildren who haven't found that balance that a lot of the rest of us have. There are women like that too which is the point of that whole circus. I hate dating.
I want to believe that I would have a stoic poker face for this and I know you have recommended that I get involved with this, but I think I would rather show up and act like some stereotypical NJ clubber mook who just happens to know a thing or two about The Venture Bros.
Chad wrote:Idget child might be the worst poster here though...
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Idget Child wrote:stereotypical NJ clubber mook who just happens to know a thing or two about The Venture Bros.
:lol:

copstache wrote:the balance of failcave to normal geek girls is of a higher quality than the dudes.
I think the failcavers are replaced by the female opportunists who are working the system

I don't intend to promote the (anti-)stereotype that all "geek girls" are putting it on for attention or anything... but that evil faction does exist
jen said destroy
Don't mess with my shit.

Idget Child wrote:
jen said destroy wrote: Also, I understand that these people aren't going to be successful at dating women while acting like pathetic self-depracatiing manchildren who haven't found that balance that a lot of the rest of us have. There are women like that too which is the point of that whole circus. I hate dating.
I want to believe that I would have a stoic poker face for this and I know you have recommended that I get involved with this, but I think I would rather show up and act like some stereotypical NJ clubber mook who just happens to know a thing or two about The Venture Bros.
I would've picked you, pikachu or you would've gotten kicked out like the mook with the jets jersey did.