How can there still be ontological debate about time?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Re: How can there still be ontological debate about time?

Post by THE KILL »

Necrometer wrote:
THE KILL wrote:Quantum physics postulates essential chance in quantum events eg when you check whether a particle is where you think it is.
does it really say that, or maybe does it say there are some things we are infinitely bad at predicting?
Again I'd like to point out that I'm a physics laymen, but yeah, the underlying pattern here is total blind chance, which means that in our universe, things can happen without anything causing them (which, for me, as a philosopher, is a total mindfuck; one thing I had always based my thinking on was the principle that everything has to be caused by something else).
According to the Heisenberg indeterminacy principle, particles don't even have a certain position in space until we look - it's not that a particle has a definite position and moves in a defined direction at a certain speed and we're just using tools which are too blunt to detect both at the same time. The sum of position and spin of a particle can never exceed a certain value. Quantum physics are fucking insane: the mathematics of reality are not deterministic, but based on probabilities and brutal total randomness.
Hope I made at least some sense here...
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

james wrote:
THE KILL wrote:there are no real choices and above all that there's no chance.
a lot of people think this and it bugs me the fuck out
smack every single one of them in their stupid face and tell them that getting pissed off doesn't make any sense if they really believe in the nonsense they spout. I guarantee they will turn out to be too stupid anyway to point out that it can't be helped for the same reason you hit them...
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

That's a fine write-up but it doesn't convince me that there are actually multiple possible outcomes vs. us just lacking precise predictive power. There could be a shadow dimension that makes everything make sense, but we can't access it.

I think we are in a totally deterministic universe, but since we can never see what's coming it feels just as "free" as it would if it actually were, so it's fine as far as getting out of bed in the morning is concerned
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Well from a philosophical standpoint the answer to the question whether the universe is really deterministic is still essential: after all, you can't sentence somebody to death for murder if the murderer didn't make a real decision. Again, you could say that you can't help sentencing sb to death if the universe is deterministic; the problem here is that for a discussion to make sense we have to assume that not everything is deterministic. Which doesn't mean that the universe is not deterministic, of course, just that it's a wonky problem... But Ross, are you honestly convinced that everything you and everybody else does and thinks and every fart that ever creeped out of people's asses etc. is predetermined, including the insight that everything is deterministic? Just being curious. I realize I might have worded the above post too harshly but I''ve been in a pretty shitty mood lately due to work related stress.
But, and I hate to be the bringer of bad news here, nowaday's physics disagree with you re: a deterministic universe, it seems to be universally accepted that reality is based on probabilities and chance (I once read a pretty convincing explanation of why this has to be so, but I don't remember it, sorry).
Anyway you should definitely get into quantum mechanics, just the double slit experiment and its implications will totally blow your mind.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Now that I think about it, the reason for why physicists are sure that reality is not deterministic can be found in the double slit experiment. The wave function collapses as soon as we "check" exactly which hole the particle went through (rather, we force reality to roll the dice and decide which hole it went through) and we get to see a different pattern on our screen. Can't be explained if you assume everything is deterministic or at least it's a good application of Occam's razor.
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

deterministic
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

:lol:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Introvert
7th Church of the Apocalyptic Lawnmower

Post by Introvert »

What time is it?
Friendly Goatus wrote:and stop being a dick to your cat
smooth
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by smooth »

You all better learn from the alien Bashar.

The Talmud wrote:Menahoth 43b-44a. A Jewish man is obligated to say the following prayer every day: Thank you God for not making me a gentile, a woman or a slave.
smooth
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by smooth »

Chad wrote:moments, feelings, instantaneous things exist...in a mind-bogglingly cold void. it is clear to me that time is an illusion, and that surges of Truth we feel here are sparks of a blinding blissful eternity, cracking through to us in a plane of demons, lies, history, and body-shells.

calling us to timelessness, to eternity, to death and away...far, far away from this life.

it's why we love God and girls and drugs and alcohol
I can relate to this... because I've done too much DMT.
The Talmud wrote:Menahoth 43b-44a. A Jewish man is obligated to say the following prayer every day: Thank you God for not making me a gentile, a woman or a slave.
smooth
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by smooth »

THE KILL wrote:Well from a philosophical standpoint the answer to the question whether the universe is really deterministic is still essential: after all, you can't sentence somebody to death for murder if the murderer didn't make a real decision. Again, you could say that you can't help sentencing sb to death if the universe is deterministic; the problem here is that for a discussion to make sense we have to assume that not everything is deterministic. Which doesn't mean that the universe is not deterministic, of course, just that it's a wonky problem...
So say you have a coin. One side has determinism on it and the other has indeterminism. The chances of landing by chance are the same as being predestined to do so. 8)
Wormholegenerator
The 7000 Club

Post by Wormholegenerator »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Well from a philosophical standpoint the answer to the question whether the universe is really deterministic is still essential: after all, you can't sentence somebody to death for murder if the murderer didn't make a real decision. Again, you could say that you can't help sentencing sb to death if the universe is deterministic; the problem here is that for a discussion to make sense we have to assume that not everything is deterministic. Which doesn't mean that the universe is not deterministic, of course, just that it's a wonky problem... But Ross, are you honestly convinced that everything you and everybody else does and thinks and every fart that ever creeped out of people's asses etc. is predetermined, including the insight that everything is deterministic? Just being curious. I realize I might have worded the above post too harshly but I''ve been in a pretty shitty mood lately due to work related stress.
But, and I hate to be the bringer of bad news here, nowaday's physics disagree with you re: a deterministic universe, it seems to be universally accepted that reality is based on probabilities and chance (I once read a pretty convincing explanation of why this has to be so, but I don't remember it, sorry).
You can definitely justify punishment/corrections for a harm-causing agent who lacks "true" agency. The social functions of prevention and rehabilitation and the illusion of justice still apply, don't they? Even if we are all fundamentally just cogs in the physical machine, it doesn't mean we won't try and maintain social order. Things might get interesting if you wanted to invoke theology, but you'll have to find a god-fearing determinist to enjoy that philosophical beat down.

If you have any more info about quantum mechanics negating determinism in a way that goes beyond the first order, obvious stuff, I'd love to read it. I think a lot of people think "holy shit that's just a probability function!!!! the present could be literally anything so the future could be even MORE anything", while I interpret the apparent probability function as the tool we use while we are stumped about what's actually going on... it isn't reality. nothing in science describes reality with total precision and accuracy. best way to think about science: all models are wrong; good models are useful

math is the only mode of thought capable of operating with the firm perfection that so many people incorrectly think undergirds science
THE KILL wrote:Anyway you should definitely get into quantum mechanics, just the double slit experiment and its implications will totally blow your mind.
I have been familiar with the double slit and other quantum weirdness for years - I have definitely taken it seriously when putting together my best pragmatic model of the universe. I'm simply comfortable with the possibility that a lot of that stuff is beyond us and may remain so for a long time, maybe forever.

maybe ironically for your argument, new data suggest that the double slit isn't so incompatible with determinism after all:
http://www.quantamagazine.org/20140624- ... m-reality/

And more direct pilot wave double-slit stuff:
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/gue ... ally-show/

really good posts... as always, I'd be happy to be shown to be full of shit
Introvert
7th Church of the Apocalyptic Lawnmower

Post by Introvert »

Pisscubes wrote:
Introvert wrote:What time is it?
FACIST
Damnit! I knew it....

Seriously....what time is it?
Friendly Goatus wrote:and stop being a dick to your cat
Black Jacques
Sweet Lord _______

Post by Black Jacques »

The cat spaghettification pic isn't getting enough appreciation here guys.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Too much to reply individually to here right now, but you raise a lot of very interesting points. Thanks a bunch for posting the articles, I definitely feel humbled after reading about an apparently valid deterministic alternative theory to the Copenhagen interpretation. According to everything I had read, the Copenhagen interpretation, along with the multiple universes interpretation, seemed to be by far the most dominant theory. Felt like a real fool until I read "The old, deterministic alternative is not mentioned in most textbooks; most people in the field haven’t heard of it."
:yerma:

Interestingly, this part makes the article read like a PR piece on Expelled:
"Sheldon Goldstein, a professor of mathematics, physics and philosophy at Rutgers University and a supporter of pilot-wave theory, blames the 'preposterous' neglect of the theory on 'decades of indoctrination.' At this stage, Goldstein and several others noted, researchers risk their careers by questioning quantum orthodoxy."
It certainly seems very pro-pilot wave, but it fails to mention this: "[De Broglie] presented the pilot wave theory at the 1927 Solvay Conference.[7] However, Wolfgang Pauli raised an objection to it at the conference, saying that it did not deal properly with the case of inelastic scattering. De Broglie was not able to find a response to this objection, and he and Born abandoned the pilot-wave approach." - I would love to find out how the newer de Broglie–Bohm theory deals with this problem.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
quoting Wikipedia :fp:
Just a couple more spontaneous thoughts on the pilot wave theory article:
- I don't understand how pilot wave theory explains the fact that the act of measuring changes the patterns in the double slit experiment.
- Another thing my puny mind wasn't prepared to understand: particles are said to consist of a guiding pilot wave and a concrete particle itself which always takes one specific path. Only the guiding wave can go through both slits at the same time, so how is the question which specific path a particle actually takes resolved?
- The article doesn't say whether pilot wave theory deals with essential chance we believe to be witnessing in radioactive decay.

Necrometer wrote:You can definitely justify punishment/corrections for a harm-causing agent who lacks "true" agency. The social functions of prevention and rehabilitation and the illusion of justice still apply, don't they? Even if we are all fundamentally just cogs in the physical machine, it doesn't mean we won't try and maintain social order.
I'd argue that all of these thoughts have to at least assume that the universe is not deterministic to make some sort of sense as we understand it.
Even if we accept punishment as a way of exerting a positive influence on social order (a futile thought IMHO and one that would not give me any solace if I had to live in a deterministic universe), determinism and the idea of justice as punishment for a real free decision somebody made are incompatible. A punishment would simply not be just if at the same time we assumed that the punishable act was not an essentially free one. Again, doesn't prove anything at all, just saying that such a position (accepting both at th esame time) is inconsistent. I'm old school enough to think of those kinds of positions as highly problematic, but I'm also aware that many systems have some kind of inconsistency in them.

Necrometer wrote: I interpret the apparent probability function as the tool we use while we are stumped about what's actually going on... it isn't reality. nothing in science describes reality with total precision and accuracy. best way to think about science: all models are wrong; good models are useful

math is the only mode of thought capable of operating with the firm perfection that so many people incorrectly think undergirds science
As far as I understand it the underlying mathematics of quantum physics seem to work ridiculously well, question is which interpretation of them is more true. Does this question even make sense if we equate "true" with "describes the universe better"? Fucking hell I'd so love to live for a couple more hundred years...
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Good stuff! I'm traveling and smartphone only for a few days so I gotta hold off before I can respond... :pizza: for now
Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

The Real MPD wrote:
deterministic
Quoted by some halfhead who never read a physics or philosophy book in his life.

THE KILL wrote: Interestingly, this part makes the article read like a PR piece on Expelled:
"Sheldon Goldstein, a professor of mathematics, physics and philosophy at Rutgers University and a supporter of pilot-wave theory, blames the 'preposterous' neglect of the theory on 'decades of indoctrination.' At this stage, Goldstein and several others noted, researchers risk their careers by questioning quantum orthodoxy."
It certainly seems very pro-pilot wave, but it fails to mention this: "[De Broglie] presented the pilot wave theory at the 1927 Solvay Conference.[7] However, Wolfgang Pauli raised an objection to it at the conference, saying that it did not deal properly with the case of inelastic scattering. De Broglie was not able to find a response to this objection, and he and Born abandoned the pilot-wave approach." - I would love to find out how the newer de Broglie–Bohm theory deals with this problem.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
quoting Wikipedia :fp:
Just a couple more spontaneous thoughts on the pilot wave theory article:
- I don't understand how pilot wave theory explains the fact that the act of measuring changes the patterns in the double slit experiment.
- Another thing my puny mind wasn't prepared to understand: particles are said to consist of a guiding pilot wave and a concrete particle itself which always takes one specific path. Only the guiding wave can go through both slits at the same time, so how is the question which specific path a particle actually takes resolved?
- The article doesn't say whether pilot wave theory deals with essential chance we believe to be witnessing in radioactive decay.
The Pilot Wave Theory bugs me out a little bit (quantum shit; nothing new here) and I don't really see any resolution in a theory that includes some speculative "unobserved" result that gets grouped in with all of the plausible and observable outcomes. I would imagine that the path that the particle takes in the double-slit experiment is just determined by the initial characteristics of the particle and however the wave function is configured at that time rather than an arbitrary one on the observer's part. Maybe changes in the measurements boil down to the results, but that is so much easier said than done because the interference pattern will just kinda fall apart then and there.

I'm a lot less comfortable with even approaching the radioactive decay example but what I gather is that the "essential chance" is really a collection of possibilities that manifest themselves in possible configurations. Probably bullshit, though, because I really have no means of expanding on that right now.
Chad wrote:Idget child might be the worst poster here though...
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Idget Child wrote:
The Real MPD wrote:
deterministic
Quoted by some halfhead who never read a physics or philosophy book in his life.
but, i've seen like every episode of Futurama though.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

:tup2:
Chad wrote:Idget child might be the worst poster here though...
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Necrometer wrote: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:03 pmThat's a fine write-up but it doesn't convince me that there are actually multiple possible outcomes vs. us just lacking precise predictive power. There could be a shadow dimension that makes everything make sense, but we can't access it.

I think we are in a totally deterministic universe...
OK physics dudes I've stumbled across the double slit experiment and finally revisited this whole issue. So Bell's Theorem forbids "hidden variables" like the ones I was advocating for to make sense of the weird outcome of the double slit and related experiments. But Bell goes on to define one case where his theorem need not apply:
There is a way to escape the inference of superluminal speeds and spooky action at a distance. But it involves absolute determinism in the universe, the complete absence of free will. Suppose the world is super-deterministic, with not just inanimate nature running on behind-the-scenes clockwork, but with our behavior, including our belief that we are free to choose to do one experiment rather than another, absolutely predetermined, including the 'decision' by the experimenter to carry out one set of measurements rather than another, the difficulty disappears. There is no need for a faster-than-light signal to tell particle A what measurement has been carried out on particle B, because the universe, including particle A, already 'knows' what that measurement, and its outcome, will be.
And I guess this is in line with what I have been intuitively feeling. Everything is woven together, time is something we perceive but doesn't have meaning (regarding causality) beyond being a coordinate along which stuff can happen. I take great comfort in reading this. People actually write it off because it would mean free will didn't exist. What an atrocious call to make when you're trying to puzzle out the nature of the universe...
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

FVBTVS wrote: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:59 pm
The Real MPD wrote: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:54 pm
deterministic
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

No way am I getting Vern'd like that! (but yes also :lol: forever at that)
Necrometer wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:56 pm
Necrometer wrote: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:03 pmThat's a fine write-up but it doesn't convince me that there are actually multiple possible outcomes vs. us just lacking precise predictive power. There could be a shadow dimension that makes everything make sense, but we can't access it.

I think we are in a totally deterministic universe...
OK physics dudes I've stumbled across the double slit experiment and finally revisited this whole issue. So Bell's Theorem forbids "hidden variables" like the ones I was advocating for to make sense of the weird outcome of the double slit and related experiments. But Bell goes on to define one case where his theorem need not apply:
There is a way to escape the inference of superluminal speeds and spooky action at a distance. But it involves absolute determinism in the universe, the complete absence of free will. Suppose the world is super-deterministic, with not just inanimate nature running on behind-the-scenes clockwork, but with our behavior, including our belief that we are free to choose to do one experiment rather than another, absolutely predetermined, including the 'decision' by the experimenter to carry out one set of measurements rather than another, the difficulty disappears. There is no need for a faster-than-light signal to tell particle A what measurement has been carried out on particle B, because the universe, including particle A, already 'knows' what that measurement, and its outcome, will be.
And I guess this is in line with what I have been intuitively feeling. Everything is woven together, time is something we perceive but doesn't have meaning (regarding causality) beyond being a coordinate along which stuff can happen. I take great comfort in reading this. People actually write it off because it would mean free will didn't exist. What an atrocious call to make when you're trying to puzzle out the nature of the universe...
one more thing:
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cr ... 99t-hooft/#
I'm in a giddy haze of fulfillment right now - I fucking hated the zany quantum fuzz
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Nice! Hm, I hadn't thought about the spooky action at a distance and how it might be explained by assuming a deterministic universe. Food for thought...

edit: "Not only is everything you do preordained, the universe reaches into your brain and stops you from doing an experiment that would reveal its true nature. The universe is not just set up in advance. It is set up in advance to fool you."
...admittedly sounds bleak as fuck, but if it's true, wouldn't this also mean that the assumption that everything is predetermined is also off limits? How far does this barrier reach - obviously, we aren't forbidden from assuming we're being fooled?