So...Preacher.

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

So...Preacher.

Post by Warpsmasher »

Despite all the changes, I basically enjoyed it and feel happy to have it back. Makes no bones about revamping/TV-ing it up, that much is clear right away. Jesse's hair is terrible and he looks too italian and short. I don't mind black Tulip. Turning Deblanc and Fiore into US Marshalls/the twins from Breaking Bad, whatever, not a big deal. The AMC house style has it's requirements, I suppose. They got every face completely wrong, but I sure won't complain about W. Earl Brown as Sheriff Root. Not too thrilled at the prospect of a whole fucking season in podunk texas though.
Cassidy seems enjoyable enough. He's the best thing about it so far.
Wife had no trouble getting right into it, and she remembers how much I loved the comics. Tried telling a couple of co-workers who like Walking Dead & Breaking Bad about it, but didn't get too far. It's a tough sell, and I still can't believe it even got greenlit. I have doubts that it will last more than 2 seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if the network execs hate it and want it to fail, and only went ahead because it's Sam Catlin. Putting it up against Game of Thrones seems pretty suicidal, and skipping a week right after the first episode could also slow the takeoff. I kind of want it to be successful just because it's such a fucking longshot that it will ever come close to Walking Dead or Breaking Bad, but that is what they seem to want out of it.

Probably only a matter of time before James Franco and Jonah Hill make appearances (the sexual investigators?)
Micheal Rooker for the part of Jody, pretty please...
Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

Re: So...Preacher.

Post by Warpsmasher »

Apparently you poser cunts would rather spend the whole fucking week shlobbing hodorcock...

Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

Black Tulip is :mastoman:

Yeah, overall I dug it. The fight scenes rule. Preacher dude is good too. Definitely in for next week.
No Cunting Elves
Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

Post by Warpsmasher »

ep2 isn't until the next sunday (june 5). I just realized that because this is an AMC show, it's most likely going to have mid-season finales/breaks. That's probably a good thing for this, helps keep the story arcs tight.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i watched it on sunday. i think i'll let it stack up a ways before i re-engage with it. the tone of it seemed alright. a little grim dark but thats ok. i read those books 10+ years ago and they were cool but i don't remember enough about them to have any personal stakes in how this plays out. seth rogen should be a pile of ash that the breeze takes away though..

if they make inbred retard jesus i'll eat my shoe
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Fuck...I'm Dave
git help.

Post by Fuck...I'm Dave »

I dug the first episode, i've never read the comics so I don't know anything about it but the show is pretty weird so I'll keep watching.
Foot Foot
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by Foot Foot »

Honky Kong 64 wrote:Black Tulip is :mastoman:
word.

show seems alright. as for the comics, i never got further than the first volume. it's cool and all, but never felt like digging deeper.
Eight Bit Alien
HATE RIDING BIKE...PULL ME.

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

I am conflicted about this television series.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I quit after the first volume of Preacher the first time too because it seemed sorta.. Fuck I dunno what it seemed, I just wasn't that into it. I couldn't get interested in his dumb hick family or this vampire dude or whatever.

I went back and read them all a couple years ago though and absolutely loved it after that first volume. I've talked to a lot of people who had the same experience.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Eight Bit Alien

Brah I read the first six issues of preacher and put it down because
1. Stupid haircuts and
2. I thought comic books were for fags at that point in time.

Picked it up like a year later and

well now look at me
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Great commentary as always Jim
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Iron Goldie
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Post by Iron Goldie »

Watched it a few days ago. A solid mediocre/10. It's been some time since I've read the comics I've got, but I remember quite a bit differently. Granted, they're not making any bones about the changes, but I just don't like a lot of the changes they made (and no, I have no problem with the race changed Tulip, before any of you stupid cunts assume or ask). The opening with the preacher exploding was fun though, I'll admit.

I'll give it another couple of episodes and see if it warms up to me at all. But for right now, I'm mostly uninspired.
Eight Bit Alien

riley-o wrote:Great commentary as always Jim
I'm going to mail you a VHS copy of Wild Wild West every day for three years, and then drive to your house, and then beat you to death with a recoiless ball peen hammer.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Never read the comics and I liked it. Violent, over the top and a fairly unique feel for a comic book adaptation. I'm in for the long haul as long as it doesn't turn out like The Walking Dead.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

Post by Warpsmasher »

SAINTE OV KILLAHZ :invcross:
Eight Bit Alien

So I've been intelligent enough never to try to describe Preacher to Lady Jame. I mean like, I know that there's nothing less compelling than seeing a grown man pace wildly across the length of an apartment, losing control over the pitch of his voice, rising into an excited nasal narrative about the nature of male friendships and forgiveness both of oneself and of the world, and irish vampirism.

All I'm saying is that she doesn't know the story or characters at all. And so far shes just justifiably pointed out that this thing is almost random in who and what it shows - I really, really wonder what the plan is with the Saint. Every character and scene really, it's a bit of an editing clusterfuck. Why show SOK so briefly, in a way that rouses so little curiosity? Just one scene with Odin? What's here to get the uninitiated invested?

And man it really looks like this whole season is just going to be Jesse using magic to help people in town one at a time.

Definitely ain't mad, taking this as it's own independent entity - STILL want to see Jesse as A MAN though.

WHO WILL BE HIS SPIRIT GUIDE???????????
Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

Post by Warpsmasher »

Eight Bit Alien wrote:STILL want to see Jesse as A MAN though.
Yeah, Tulip fucking with him is kind of amusing, and hopefully his current idealism thing will end up as something to be looked back on and laughed at eventually.

I don't want to feel sorry for Arseface. He's supposed to be ridiculous beyond pity. Humorously pathetic, not sadly.

The Saint stuff should gradually increase, hopefully up to a whole episode at some point. Glad they're not waiting to do his origin story as a spinoff...though other spinoff series are a definite possibility (One Man's War, Blood & Whiskey, etc).
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

It hasn't been on here yet, which is weird cuase our Pay TV normally flocks to AMC stuff - Outcast was on straight away.

Is Cassidy in it yet?
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Yeah. He's great too
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Cool - Long weekend here in Oz, I will download what's out to date.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
Warpsmasher
DO THE DEW!

Post by Warpsmasher »

Won't be surprised now if this (along with Deadpool and Suicide Squad) eventually leads to Hitman.
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

its fun and I plan on sticking it out til the end of the season but I don't think ill care when it gets cancelled.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

The only bit I've loved 100% so far has been the Saint origin teaser.

I just keep wanting Jesse to vaporise the church and be done with the small town and move on.
Eight Bit Alien

Warpsmasher wrote:Won't be surprised now if this (along with Deadpool and Suicide Squad) eventually leads to Hitman.
Hitman would be tough because it's def 100% WB, I doubt anyone somehow got the licensing rights to that at some point - and I can't really see Hitman on the CW crossing over with Supergirl every week. It's kinda funny because all the current CW cape shows name-drop Big Belly Burger constantly, which as far as remember is not only an Ennis original, but also a Hitman original.

A Hitman show outside of Gotham and with no Batman is doable though. You wouldn't miss much - you could replace Etrigan with a generic demon for that arc, etc.

Although damn I would love to see that one issue with Hitman waxing patriotic to Clark done on camera ;_; I

actually have that issue signed by John MCrea. I think it's McCrea, I seriously can't read the signature so it could be Garth Ennis. Or it could just be some juggalo with a paint marker defaced my issue. It came shipped from the UK in packaging of some weird meat product that we don't have in America. Like it was Weebox Chubb Rolls or zomething
Eight Bit Alien

:putin
doomeddisciple wrote: just keep wanting Jesse to vaporise the church and be done with the small town and move on.
:tup: :tup: :tup: