Guitar/Rocksmith Shred

Music posts are a bannable offense.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Guitar/Rocksmith Shred

Post by doomeddisciple »

Re: Pickups - I play Rocksmith with my two standard tuned guitars - one is a Gibson SG with a Stock pickup. The other is an Explorer with a set of Dissident Aggressor Lace pickups in - neither handle the AIC bend issue great.

I think there is a general issue with some tuning/note selection. There are parts in all the songs where I swear I'm nailing it and it says missed and I have fucked around with the calibrations a lot.

Re: theory stuff - so I'm an 80's kid and learned mostly by ear and some average school music classes. I don't have a strong fundamental base. RS is not overly prescriptive in teaching - I have been applying what it teaches to what I know.

For me, opening up the scale or mode positions and showing them all over the neck and playing and learning them in the different positions has led to a lot of 'ohhhh THATS how that works' moments.

An example of practically applying the stuff is that one of my bands drop d ( well c to be texhnical) tunes - so my 'home base' position for soloing is in the D or 10th fret position.

Expanding the modes and scale types around that position has given me a lot more to work with in terms of options for solos or melody lines.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
elephants gerald
One Of Many Accounts

Re: Guitar/Rocksmith Shred

Post by elephants gerald »

sick
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

is there a rocksmith for drums?
Image Certified Poster
Cascade Whore
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Location: A sterilized but unpressed gift from a nose-holding charity which passes out clothing to slum drunks

Post by Cascade Whore »

featherboa wrote:is there a rocksmith for drums?
Try practicing you lazy fuck.
Wank night's cancelled
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

thanks for this thread - I'll definitely chime in if/when I get my shit together and fire up rocksmith
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

187k on Aces High - #1 on Rhythym
2.6 mil -#7 on War Ensemble
On PS3 - I leant my PS4 to my nephew so I will get back to you on my PS4 scores
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Just hit my 50th >100% on lead.

For the first time feel like I'm actually learning the songs instead of just playing what's on the screen. Sort of weird to say that when the vast majority of my playing this game has been playing songs, but it finally feels like I'm playing the song I'm hearing. I dunno. Hard to explain.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

I know exactly what you're saying - that's why I like to go master mode to put the learning to the test - then I find the bits I haven't really absorbed yet and go back to learn those riffs/licks.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Thanks heaps for talking this up boys. I have had 2 weeks off and 3 more to go with the new baby and kinda been over not jamming and stuff - just had a big session and now have learned the mixolydian shape is the the Lydian mode two frets up from the root - which makes perfect sense when you think about the modes but it wouldn't have occurred to me unless I was getting some blisters on my fingers playing this.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

riley-o wrote:Just hit my 50th >100% on lead.
ffff.... is that with Master mode on, or are you hitting 100% accuracy on each one? impressive regardless. I turned off Master mode a while back for some reason and now I can never match my top scores >_< I turned it back on last week but it's not kicking in for most songs.
doomeddisciple wrote:2.6 mil -#7 on War Ensemble
:shock: I'm at work so I can't post the pic, but I practiced this a bunch last weekend and just baaaarely beat your score on the PS4 version (I think you had 1.1 million?). but with my amp it still sounds super sloppy... I noticed the game didn't give a shit if I was hitting the E string while playing the accent notes on the A string and it kept my streak/multiplier going regardless of the slop, so it's kind of a fake score and I'm sure your actual playing destroys mine. way better at the track than I was before, but still not a thrash king.... yet.

One thing that's interesting/frustrating about score attack on Hard is that even when I can get 90%ish on a tough song in freeplay or whatever the normal game is called, I'm constantly failing out of score attack because of a few tough licks here and there. I swear sometimes you can only miss like a single note before failing the phrase... other times I'm missing notes constantly and don't fail the phrase.

all of which is to say I'm not gonna show up on the leaderboard for Hendrix stuff any time soon because I can't even beat the damn songs. ranking on Round and Round is my current goal but I keep failing at the VERY end :x
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

how can you get >100%? can you hit 1000%?

are these actually necessary for the game?
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

:o novelty strings not required.

you can get >100% by correctly playing notes in master mode, which is when notes disappear from the screen and you just play from memory. I think the multiplier for master mode notes is 1.1x, so you could hypothetically get 110%.

I haven't figured out exactly what triggers it, but generally it's when you've played a certain part of a song very well (like close to 100%) multiple times. the game divides songs into phrases, which generally is like intro riff, verse riff a, verse riff b, chorus riff, etc., so sometimes you'll drop in and out of master for a few seconds at a time, and other times it could be the entire song. like in War Ensemble, I get a solid 5 seconds of master mode time during the chugged E flat chord before the solo... and that's it :|

and like DD said, you can also go directly into a standalone master mode where all the notes are gone. normally when master mode kicks on, if you start to suck, the notes will start to reappear, confirming your suckiness and shaming you.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Yeah Spooky it's in master mode. I've only ever gotten a pure 100% a small handful of times; it feels like even the easier songs it still frequently doesn't recognize a chord or you fuck up a strum somewhere.

Ross -- It gives you up to a 10% (I think that's the maximum) bump in percentage, but that's if all the notes are fully disappeared. So the most you can give is 110%, just like in sports. The amount of a bump it gives you is based on how faded the notes are and how much of the song is in master mode; you can have just a small portion of the song in a very lightly faded master mode, which gives you a very negligible bump in percentage.

Round and Round is another song that's surprising in how fun it is to play.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

:tup: thanks duders
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

riley-o wrote:Yeah Spooky it's in master mode. I've only ever gotten a pure 100% a small handful of times; it feels like even the easier songs it still frequently doesn't recognize a chord or you fuck up a strum somewhere
This happens all the time. One of the BAD things about playing the game for points is that sometimes you have to kinda play chords or notes that are muted in the original track open to ensure that the game tracks them.

The riff immediately prior and following the solo of aces high is a good example of this.

I always try clear hard on score attack so I can go to the master mode once I have my head around the structure.

Had a good crack at Bohemian Rhaphsody this morning - the 'Wayne's World' riff is satisfying lol
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

can u slow down a section or just loop it if it's particularly tough?
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Necrometer wrote:can u slow down a section or just loop it if it's particularly tough?
Yep, riff repeater - you can slow it down and it auto speeds up as you play it accurately
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

this game sounds truly amazing
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

It really is dude, particularly if you want to learn a song inside out.

Doomed, muted parts very rarely fuck with me. It's almost always chords, particularly thirds, or anything in lower tunings. Bends are also suuuuuper picky -- I feel like I'm actually safer drastically overbending a note than I am trying to get it perfect. One funny thing about the game is that for a handful of songs I'll get a better score playing it purposely wrong than playing it properly. That's rare though, more of an amusing light annoyance.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

riley-o wrote:It really is dude, particularly if you want to learn a song inside out.

Doomed, muted parts very rarely fuck with me. It's almost always chords, particularly thirds, or anything in lower tunings. Bends are also suuuuuper picky -- I feel like I'm actually safer drastically overbending a note than I am trying to get it perfect. One funny thing about the game is that for a handful of songs I'll get a better score playing it purposely wrong than playing it properly. That's rare though, more of an amusing light annoyance.
Chords fuck me the most / especially annoying is campfire chords when they don't work - that's like one thing I *know*

I play really exaggerated bends too to ensure success - but the Alice In Chains bend kills me!
Colonel Klink
...to the other side!

Post by Colonel Klink »

doomeddisciple wrote:Thanks heaps for talking this up boys. I have had 2 weeks off and 3 more to go with the new baby and kinda been over not jamming and stuff - just had a big session and now have learned the mixolydian shape is the the Lydian mode two frets up from the root - which makes perfect sense when you think about the modes but it wouldn't have occurred to me unless I was getting some blisters on my fingers playing this.
Congrats on the new edition mate . Hope all are well . Love to catch up when you get some time .
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Thanks Klinky, she's a beauty. I have til Jan 30 off, I would say the Witchskull Holy Serpent show on the 27th but I think I'll be at the coast
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Just had another go on PS4, 2nd with 2.27 mil on War Ensemble
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I've been playing hard score attack and failed War Ensemble twice :lol:

I think that's my least played of the Slayer songs though and I haven't played it in quite a while, so I'm not taking it too hard. I'll put in some practice on it and put up a respectable score eventually. I got 1.2 on South of Heaven on my first shot; I feel like I can probably go master on that one pretty soon.

I was really disinterested in playing this mode as I hate it when it cuts you off in the middle of a song with three strikes, but I think that should only really happen if you don't know the song well enough, which is actually fair. I've been having a lot of fun playing it now and it's making me clean up a few areas where I'll let sloppiness slide because I HATE going from a 47x multiplier to a 25x :x :x
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Damn. This all sounds real neat. Instead of playing Rockband/Guitar Hero Simon Says I should have looked into this. I might have actually picked up something useful. Well, too late for me, the whole play an instrument thing has passed. Good luck, dudes.