Any of you into airbrushing? need your advice

Music posts are a bannable offense.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Any of you into airbrushing? need your advice

Post by THE KILL »

I'm into model making and I'm sick of buying expensive as fuck spray cans (Army Painter's spray primers are great but each can costs ten or more EUrobucks). I was planning to buy a cheap beginner's airbrush, something along these lines:

Can I expect to get decent results at such a low price? Basically I just want to paint surfaces like rocks, forest floor or trees, nothing fancy. Thanks!
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Re: Any of you into airbrushing? need your advice

Post by THE KILL »

what the fuck is up with the board not showing any links?

anyway, for anyone who gives a shit, go to amazon.de and search for Ganzton 19B Mini Airbrush Compressor. thanks.
the awesome Assassin
Sweet Lord _______

Post by the awesome Assassin »

I only paint full size vans...
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

So what kind of gear do you use?
the awesome Assassin
Sweet Lord _______

Post by the awesome Assassin »

Only the most expensive because I'm a fucking baller...
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

as loathe as I am to drive traffic from here to r____t ... /r/minipainting will more effectively answer all your questions
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The short answer is, fuck that compressor. You want one with an air tank, even as a complete beginner. These small compressors are constantly noisy, can't produce steady pressure, and they typically turn off after like 40 minutes. Do a search for "189 Kompressor" on Amazon.de and you'll find the one I've been using for about two years with zero issues. Airbrushing isn't too difficult if all you're looking to do is basecoating larger areas (I actually think it's easier than spraycans because you have more control), but if you're just starting out, you don't want to be fighting your equipment.

I do a lot of this stuff, so feel free to ask here or PM me, but tbqh what you need to do is watch some Youtube tutorials. There's tons of stuff out there and I've basically learned almost every model kittening technique I know from Youtube. Also how to build and maintain mountain bikes and any number of other stuff.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Thanks guys, especially Spacehamster. Obviously, I'm too lazy to do much research on airbrushing on my own. I'm naive enough to trust Amazon reviews and that thing seemed decent... also, I'm a cheap bastard...
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

THE KILL wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:25 pm Obviously, I'm too lazy to do much research on airbrushing on my own.
You're going to need to do some of that, though. The learning curve is pretty steep at the start, even if you just want to prime stuff, and by far the best way to learn is watching people do it on Youtube. I can explain it to you, but it won't make much sense unless you see it.

As far as expenses go, keep in mind it's a one-time investment. In the long run you'll save a lot of money because you don't need to buy stupid expensive spraycans anymore. I recommend Vallejo Surface Primer for airbrushing, by the way. People will say they're too fragile because they're water-based acrylics, but I've never found that to be a problem and I'd be much more concerned about lacquer thinners destroying the plastic. But it kind of depends what kinds of kits you're working with. Bandai plastic is notoriously sensitive to thinners.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Also, don't get advice from miniature painters. There are a lot of weird foibles about airbrushing in that scene for some reason, like "you can't paint on top of clearcoats" or "airbrushing is cheating".
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

KOMPRESSOR DOES NOT DANCE Image
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

spacehamster wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:15 am Also, don't get advice from miniature painters. There are a lot of weird foibles about airbrushing in that scene for some reason, like "you can't paint on top of clearcoats" or "airbrushing is cheating".
ha I've never heard either of these... the boardgame shop guys I hang out with all like to paint their minis with an airbrush n(or rather have this one guy do it for them. Everybody's grateful they don't have to prime their minis by hand). You can do such amazing things with a spraygun, even when working on tiny details, it would be stupid not to use it on the basis of "it's cheating", especially since you first have to learn how to do these tricks. I've never had a problem with acrylics being too soft/ not scratch-resistent enough, I paint all of my stuff with it, especially landscapes. If you put a couple of coats of varnish on it, it'll be ok.

This is what I want to paint next:

As for the rest, I see I'll have to do some reading up on airbrushing. Miniature modelling is a fantastic hobby, but it sucks you in and before you know it, you learn how to use a router, how to solder, spray paint, find rather specific shit in the woods, and a million other things.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

THE KILL wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:42 pm stupid not to use it on the basis of "it's cheating", especially since you first have to learn how to do these tricks.
I think it's mostly people who think airbrushes are some sort of magic "make awesome gradients" button because they've never used one and don't realize they're just a tool like any other that you have to learn how to use and that has limitations. It's really just silly.
I've never had a problem with acrylics being too soft/ not scratch-resistent enough
I also build a lot of Gundam kits and similar stuff with moving parts, that's where paint scratching off is an issue. With dioramas and other stuff you basically never touch, it doesn't matter. I use all water-based stuff for my WH minis as well.

This is what I want to paint next:
Miniature modelling is a fantastic hobby, but it sucks you in and before you know it, you learn how to use a router, how to solder, spray paint, find rather specific shit in the woods, and a million other things.
Yeah, same here. It's kind of crazy how addictive it becomes. Anyway, that skeleton tree dio looks pretty damn great. :tup2:
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Cheers man! I might get back to your offer of explaining things to me in greater detail as soon as I hit the first wall, but now I'm excited to find out more about techniques and equipment!

Anyway, I'll make a modelling thread (as soon as the wife is back with my digicam), I'd love to see some of the stuff you did!