James answers your coronavirus questions thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Re: James answers your coronavirus questions thread

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

Good on you man

Im waiting to see what happens economically before i make any goddamn decision at all

Ill probably give it to my mom too, or as i like to call her, my jew mortgage bank
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
kevin hash
Better at internetting than you.

Post by kevin hash »

I'm going to buy a guitar.

Fuck it.
TROLL WORLD ORDER 4 LIFE

:invcross: BUNGVOX got powerbombed off the stage because he wasn't T.W.O 4 LIFE brother. :invcross:

my hound dog's dump still hot - zerohero
Glub
Certified False.

Post by Glub »

Since I haven't seen this focused on much what with everything else that's going on: those of you with student loans won't have to make a payment until September and no interest will accrue in the interim.
MeatGrease wrote:
I became fully redpilled by the summer of 2015 but was already holding back as early as 2014. Before that I was a anarcho punk.

Ideally, society should be organized via a warrior-priest aristocracy.

I can trace my ancestry all the way back to historic germanic tribal chieftains in fact.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

first few minutes is a fun little nowadays covid montage
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

https://vimeo.com/399733860
Dr. David Price of Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York City shares information in a Mar. 22 Zoom call with family and friends on empowering and protecting families during the COVID-19 pandemic.
it is long but i found it incredibly well articulated and informative. :tup2:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

I always thought school spirit was hurr durr shit but I'm so immensely proud of my school for this; I know a few people that teach at Grainger and they have been putting in insane amounts of time on this and parallel projects

https://rapidvent.grainger.illinois.edu/
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

amazing. i was just having a conversation about this thing i have that just inflates a car tire and i wondered how closely the technology is to a ventilator
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

Gotta wonder how much medical equipment could be made infinitely simpler if iNtElLeCtUaL pRoPeRtY rIgHtS weren't such a huge concern
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

fvbtvs that vimeo is awesome - thank you
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

granted it was a week ago which is basivally 16 years in the Dread Times but still
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

part of me couldn't stop thinking "cosmic irony mandates that this man is no longer alive"

glad to hear him say that even imperfect masks are better than nothing

I saw some infuriating tweet along the lines of "homemade masks are the pulling out of covid protection" and all the scientists and doctors were high-fiving each other over the brilliant condescension while I just silently rage-responded in my head "you mean that, while not ideal, they're actually quite effective, and a shitload better than doing nothing at all"

(real world annual failure rate of condoms is 18%, withdrawal is 22%)

getting all seethy just thinking about it again
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

oh, and he was stumped on how to DIY sanitizer/disinfectant - I think 80% alcohol (ethanol or isopropanol aka isopropyl/rubbing alcohol) 20% water will work. you can put that in a spray bottle. article below says to add other stuff to make it into purell-style goo but I don't think that does anything for its efficacy

happy to hear any suggestions/corrections on this front, ofc

https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-make-hand-sanitizer/
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

from what i've gathered, any non-alcohol additive to DIY hand sanitizer only enhances effects besides germicide.

Lubricating and protecting the skin, etc. Not negligible, but maybe unimportant - especially for atomized/spray type application.

I'm starting to run a little low on isoprophyl, though...

MAYBE I SHOULD START DRINKING HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

Like 40% interested (drew plans, didn't get materials) in making a UV box to disinfect groceries; confident on everything but the electricity go brrrr stuff but hey, no better time to dabble in electricity and irradiating food I guess
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I left a bag of bread & two red onions in my sunroom for a day - pretty sure that sterilized 'em good!
MAYBE I SHOULD START DRINKING HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
:lol: a quick gargle will brighten that smile!

can't remember if I told you about this lovely circling back, but I asked my dentist('s assistant) if anything can be done about tonsil stones, other than pushing them out, and she said "you can gargle with hydrogen peroxide" !!! only way it could've been more perfect is if she'd tacked on "...it's a wiccan folk remedy"
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

teh tech ingredients maniac hasn't made it into your feed yet?

https://youtu.be/kLWBG_fbJR0

youtubes not self-inflating anymore?
Image Certified Poster
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

never saw that guy before!

addendum in case I caused confusion: if you have something called "rubbing alcohol" that's probably already diluted to the correct/lethal concentration - good to go
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

So here's my routine for supplies from the outside world

1. Lay plastic sheet on table
2. Put rag in plastic bag and fill with alcohol
3. Go get stuff
4. put stuff on plastic sheet
5. Rub everything with alcohol-soaked rag
6. Take off infected clothes and set aside, wash hands
7. Wait for alcohol to evaporate
8. Throw plastic sheet away outside, wash hands again, sanitize doorknobs and stuff
9. Check cnn and pray to dracula for forgiveness
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

it's crazy making
Image Certified Poster
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

james I approve of your protocol, assuming that your alcohol has at least some water in it (paradoxically, pure ethanol or isopropanol is not as good at shredding pathogens)

I'm not sure if non-scientists can even readily obtain 100% alcohol, so maybe you're set
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Yeah its otc isopropyl, only 70% alcohol to begin with.

Thx4sprt
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

email from instacart
For Our Customers
We’ve rolled out a number of recent changes to your Instacart experience to provide you with a safer and more convenient experience including:

“Leave at My Door Delivery” is now the default setting for all Instacart deliveries across the U.S. and Canada. We believe it’s important for you and your personal shopper to have more control over your delivery experience, and we’re proud to have been the first on-demand delivery company in North America to make this available as part of our COVID-19 preparedness.

“Contactless Alcohol Delivery” is now live and, for the first time, most Instacart alcohol deliveries in the U.S. will no longer require a physical signature, unless required by your state or a retail partner. Shoppers are now only required to scan a customer’s ID for age verification, which can be done from a safe distance.
:cheers:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

What I am doing:

Shoes stay at work. I use the "clean hand /dirty hand" method which you might be familiar with in "sterile" technique (ha!) like foley catheter insertion, or I guess wet and dry battering for deep frying? This means when I'm in a dirty environment like the hospital hallway I use only one hand for doors and stuff and I make sure I consider it dirty until I can wash it. This means I can use my phone with the other hand.

I'm still working in education, not yet called back to the bedside to take care of patients. There are a lot of surgical nurses who are out of work (we are not doing anything other than emergent surgery) who are "in front" of me in line to work the bedside because I still have work to do here.

I was washing my phone in the sink multiple times a day but that killed it, so I'm using etoh wipes with a shitty old backup phone.

Hospital scrub top comes off before I put my jacket on to ride home, pants come off at the front door and go to a dedicated bin. I wash my hands immediately then shower. I worry about it getting on to a pillow from my hair. That is only a hopsital precaution, I don't worry about my hair coming home from the store.

Mail and packages get sprayed with a bleach solution (1/3 cup per gallon), and we don't open them until the solution dries in about 10 minutes. I also am concerned about packages that had been open in the last three days. If it took less than 72 hours from the time it was packaged to my doorstep, I let the 72 hours also elapse before opening it.

I spray this same no-rinse concentration of bleach solution on doorknobs that can tolerate it. Light degrades bleach, so don't put it in a clear bottle, and hide it away.

Other surfaces that can't take bleach or are a lightbulb get cleaned with soapy water. @Ross please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that soap solubilizes the membrane of the virus allowing it to dissolve, but without friction this doesn't happen as well. I think that etoh also dessicates the virus, though the friction from rubbing with hand sanitizers does the same thing as soap, but maybe not as well? Think of these SARS-CoV-2 virii as fatty or greasy nanoparticles that you need to dissolve. So just spraying soap on something isn't going to work as well as scrubbing.

Groceries that I don't need to use right away or don't have to go into the fridge get set aside for 72 hours. If I can't wash it (like a cardboard box) it gets set aside too.

Groceries that I DO need to use or refrigerate get washed in soapy water. Produce comes out of the bag, gets washed, and into a new bag. Stuff gets set out to dry.

I wear a certain jacket for grocery shopping that comes off and goes into a paper bag once I come out of stores. I kind of treat it like an isolation gown.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Toilet Fleet
need...miss...want...

Post by Toilet Fleet »

Obviously not Ross but can confirm that introduction of friction or any amount of energy (and it needn't be much, a lipid envelope in the context of soapy and moving water as in handwashing will not remain intact) is vastly more effective. And it really is a relatively minor infusion of energy that makes a sizable difference: heat of an autoclave, good for six log thermal inactivation; heat of an autoclave plus vacuum pressure, basically nothing survives.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

keep on washing keep on hoping
keep on washing
maybe, COVID