if you can't find wonder

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

if you can't find wonder

Post by Chad »

I want you to know that astrophysicists are increasingly skeptical about the idea of another planet like this one existing

it's the inverse of the Fermi thing...

posit: this actually existing... and try to reduce the math back down to normal makes no sense to them

there is actually no reason for any of this and no real explanation

is horrifying
Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Re: if you can't find wonder

Post by Chad »

it's an endless, unfathomable, literally TIMELESS abyss

then

us

it makes a person want to know everyone
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Ill body
/
Ill will
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

There's absolutely no reason to believe that there's life anywhere else, we have no fucking idea how life occurred here, and people are quite possibly the only thing that will ever know that the universe is even happening at all. I think that misanthropy needs to be stamped out ruthlessly, and anthropocentrism should be encouraged at all times unless new information presents itself.

I sometimes sit around and wonder if I'm a fucking retard for not understanding the Fermi paradox thing. How could you speculate about the likelihood of something, or ponder it's absence, if you know NONE of the math? It's all bullshit... it centers around this bizarre fucking assumption that Spock MUST exist. I don't even understand how we got to that place with so few people questioning the basic framework... it makes me think that I must be the crazy one, since most of these people are pretty fucking smart.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

I couldn't be more with you

the literal galaxy brain astronomers who came up with that shit are smart but they're not biologists, so they think it's fine to say "sure 1% chance that life will spring out of the dirt, why not?"

science version of lucille bluth's $10 banana

ALL THIS SAID there's a non-zero chance that we find some evidence of life on mars. but I'd bet everything that they're our distant cousins. people will flip out, which is fine on its own, but it also makes me insane because nobody gives a shit about rampant extinction taking place here on earth. organisms that are just as alien (e.g. totally unknown) to us! aaaaaaaaghhhh
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

<3 you are the man as always, RW
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

And yeah biodiversity should be a sacred fucking value, prioritized above almost everything else. I have no idea how to walk back the more harmful components of industrialization, but it's one criticisms that the hippies had fucking nailed. It's fucking weird when I hear people speaking about it, because it's always emphasized in relation to human benefits... like pls don't bulldoze the rain-forest, because there might be a secret frog in there that could cure Alzheimer's. Or we could be tugging on some part of the food chain that props up the production of corn... economic arguments too, in most cases. It's a bit disheartening... don't most people value the existence of all this stuff in a funny self-evident way?
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

Post by Necrophilic Mallard »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:07 pm And yeah biodiversity should be a sacred fucking value...
don't most people value the existence of all this stuff in a funny self-evident way?
No, because of God's will.

Been watching a shit load Kurzgesagt during the pandemic.
They have a bunch of videos on the Fermi paradox and a bunch of other cool stuff.

But as for the unfathomable expanse of the universe, this dude does an awesome job:
Fact #7
From an empirical viewpoint, the problem with Free Will (and causality) is reconciling determinism and freedom to make sense of morality.