DAW recommendations?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Re: DAW recommendations?

Post by Spooky Apparition »

I have a Line 6 UX1 w/Pod Farm also. there are some awesome tones, which surprised me for bundled software. I also like using Pod Farm in Ableton to apply effects to drum samples.

as for recording programs, I mess around with Ableton Live Lite, Reaper 64bit and Riffworks 4 (which were all included with the Line 6 except Reaper). Riffworks is a really simple program but decent enough for getting ideas recorded quickly. Reaper is a much larger program but still intuitive, while Ableton can be goddamn confusing (to a novice like myself) but the customization options are endless.

the problem is that apparently hardware companies like M-Audio, Line 6 and Lexicon won't release official Windows 7 drivers. My Line 6 has volume issues when used in Ableton and isn't even recognized by Reaper, so be aware of that.
Last edited by Spooky Apparition on Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

Another note: If you are using the POD X3, you can record directly from the unit via USB. The reliability is kind of spotty though, especially on the mac. It's a good stop-gap solution, but you'll eventually need an external sound card if you go that route.
ImageImageImage
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

Masochrism wrote:Copstache - do you use Guitar Rig at all? I recently picked up Komplete 6 and haven't used it yet. curious how you like it.
It's not bad but it's not amazing. Some really good effects but the modeling just feels flat to me. It will do but i'd say amplitube is better.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
danox3
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by danox3 »

I just started sequencing with Cubase, pretty easy to record with, doesn't handle loops too well, but I use Acid for that.
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Spooky Apparition wrote:My Line 6 has volume issues when used in Ableton and isn't even recognized by Reaper, so be aware of that.
You can use Podfarm as a standalone program to alter your guitar sound before it even hits Reaper. Yeah, if you use Podfarm as a plug-in Reaper will give you issues...there's a way around that too, though:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=28013

Edit: oh (Ross and I were just talking about this), there's a new version of Amplitube out now and Guitar Rig 4 came out...

I was playing around with GR4 a few weeks ago. It worked fine for me.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

Iirc Ross was able to get some pretty good guitar tones out of amplitube. I always found it a little on the mushy sounding side but there's so many variables with software who knows what the deal is.

I bought an awful lot of gear and software over the last few months. Maybe I'll actually put the effort into recording something again. And maybe finish up some of the stuff that's been sitting at 80% done for two years.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Fields of Shit
Keep it thick...

Post by Fields of Shit »

I'm a newbie to recording and have gotten interested in it since I've taken a break from playing in bands. I've just started using Reaper and for some reason I can't select instruments on the MIDI VSTi nor can I hear any playback sound after I put notes in. Also programs I've used before (cheap ones Magix and Music Creator 5) wouldn't let me save MIDI alongside recorded guitar, I would open a song to work on it more and it didn't save what I had written, so I had to do everything in one take. Is this cause that the program was defective?

Also on Reaper I'm not able to export to mp3. I downloaded the encoder and put it in the Reaper plugin file but it still doesn't work.
Look at that lighthouse. That's the ultimate expression of phallocentric technocracy violating Mother Sky.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

Bored, Esq. wrote:You can use Podfarm as a standalone program to alter your guitar sound before it even hits Reaper. Yeah, if you use Podfarm as a plug-in Reaper will give you issues...there's a way around that too, though:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=28013

Edit: oh (Ross and I were just talking about this), there's a new version of Amplitube out now and Guitar Rig 4 came out...

I was playing around with GR4 a few weeks ago. It worked fine for me.
cool, I'll try that out. I should tried to just leave Podfarm open and not load it as a VST, but I think when I tried that method with RiffWorks it gave me a super fuzzy and shitty sound. I'm only a few weeks into this stuff though so trial and error is probably the solution, along with actually reading manuals.
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

Fields of Shit wrote:I'm a newbie to recording and have gotten interested in it since I've taken a break from playing in bands. I've just started using Reaper and for some reason I can't select instruments on the MIDI VSTi nor can I hear any playback sound after I put notes in. Also programs I've used before (cheap ones Magix and Music Creator 5) wouldn't let me save MIDI alongside recorded guitar, I would open a song to work on it more and it didn't save what I had written, so I had to do everything in one take. Is this cause that the program was defective?

Also on Reaper I'm not able to export to mp3. I downloaded the encoder and put it in the Reaper plugin file but it still doesn't work.
Go here and ask all your questions:

http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31
Masochrism
I hate your life.

Post by Masochrism »

danox3 wrote:I just started sequencing with Cubase, pretty easy to record with, doesn't handle loops too well, but I use Acid for that.
interesting, i find Looping in cubase to be so...simple, and I would say it handles loops well, but maybe thats because i've been doing that stuff for 4 years for work.

a point to note is that there is A NEW RENOISE VERSION!!!
http://www.renoise.com/indepth/renoise- ... goes-gold/

allsome
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

you use renoise too?
:highfive:

i love that program with all my heart. i can't imagine sequencing in anything else. i had the 2.5 beta, it fucking rules. the pattern editor is so goddamn sweet. also apparently sidechaining is now in there. good to know if i ever do electro house :drooly:
Masochrism
I hate your life.

Post by Masochrism »

oh yeah man! now that i'm into it I also can't believe i used anything else before.
Masochrism
I hate your life.

Post by Masochrism »

okay WHAT THE FUCK let us help you...

do you just not read any of this shit anymore? and if you did read it how come you didn't tell us you did the new tutorial?

jesus...

all of your videos are really helpful dude. especially if you are just starting out.