p badass rube goldberg machine video

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

p badass rube goldberg machine video

Post by Necrometer »

would be NWIOT but I need some fucking answers: how did they do the A/V sync for the part just past 1:20 where tempo is dropped for the melody played on the glasses? the guy sorta nods his head to keep time... but with what? I'm guessing his anacrusis of three sung syllables was used as a practical 3-count for someone on set to hit "play" for the second segment of the song, starting with the first beat of the next measure...
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
TheDrunkTankJudge
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Re: p badass rube goldberg machine video

Post by TheDrunkTankJudge »

They make some interesting videos, too bad their music is boring. Plus they screwed over a Rochester native so nix on them...
R.I.P. Trebuchet
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

Been seein' this around Internet but hadn't watched it yet. Maybe your answers are in ehre

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/0 ... t_the.html

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/0 ... be_go.html
kale
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

thx!
enGreener: There seems like there is a lot of mechanisms in this machine that could throw off the timing by a fraction of a second here and there. Was this a problem when incorporating the elements that made noises to go along with the song?
DB: Timing was critical, as you can imagine. We spent a lot of time practicing and measuring things with stop watches. Mostly with a "Hot Wheels" stop watch that came with a toy set we bought. In reality we had to be within one percent or so. The video can be sped up or slowed down by as much without any visual artifacts. Although there are a couple of times where it's just barely noticeable.[/b]

Brett Doar: There was really only one part where the audio dropped out and the machine played part of the song, and that was the guitar/glass thing (built and designed by Brady Spindel). But the band also had to be lip synching, so yes it was important to have the machine be synched up to the song. The audio playback was broken up into sections, to make sure that when we got to a certain point in the machine, the corresponding part of the song was playing, so that stuff could match up. Even without that though, especially on the top floor, parts of the machine had to be timed internally. One member of our team, Dick Whitney, built up some laser gates for timing (naturally housed in an altoids tin), but we realized that we could just go by feel. For instance, leading up to Brady's glasses, the little lego car was just rolling down that ramp too fast, and for some reason it was just too tricky to be messing around with slope. We used this sticky foam to make speed bumps and it was just like "I dunno play the song and see if it's going slow enough. still too fast add another bump". I think we were all expecting timing issues to be in the milli/micro second range, but it turned out that we didn't really need to deal with more than 1/2 - 1/4 second kinda concerns.
I don't think that really answered it though!
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
caldwell.the.great
San Dimas High school football rules!

Post by caldwell.the.great »

my two questions are right in the middle of the video

1) how does the silver ball start rolling?
2) after the TV is smashed, what gets the globe rolling?
Necrometer wrote:fucking scientists
"you can't eat a sandwich with a clenched fist."
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
http://laughtrack.wordpress.com