Has anyone been keeping up with these Johnny Cash releases?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Has anyone been keeping up with these Johnny Cash releases?

Post by neckbeard »

It's just him and a guitar and his old person voice. I heard part of a song only. I"m going to download it now. bbl
kale
Charles Schulzerie
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Re: Has anyone been keeping up with these Johnny Cash releases?

Post by Charles Schulzerie »

The last thing I listened to was American V. I heard the new album was in the same recording session though so I assume it's just as good.
noah thirteen wrote:
Friendly Goatus wrote:I didn't have any tortillas before I took the ambien, Noah. I'm a sharp cookie. I know things.
Just imagine a giant cookie buying tortillas on a shit load of ambien.....
smellmyfinger
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by smellmyfinger »

Any of the later recordings are worthwhile, "A Hundred Highway" is great and the few tunes from the new one are great as well, really powerful stuff. You won't be disappointed.
This is like talking to an internet ghost who doesn't even realize he's a ghost yet and keeps trying to talk to those around him. If you try to put a shirt on so people can recognize you I WILL PUNCH THE SHIRT INTO OBLIVION thus rendering you still a ghost. FUCK YOU, smellmyfinger
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

all johnny cash is good. those later albums are among his greatest works.
caldwell.the.great
San Dimas High school football rules!

Post by caldwell.the.great »

I like a lot of the American Recordings stuff... But I think the earlier ones are a bit better. I agree with 'cubes that the first might be one of the best things he ever recorded
Necrometer wrote:fucking scientists
"you can't eat a sandwich with a clenched fist."
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
http://laughtrack.wordpress.com
baconrebellion
Zombie Apocalypse

Post by baconrebellion »

All of the American releases are solid to fantastic. A man with total thematic and musical integrity. His voice, the older and more fragile it got, just added to the grizzled pathos of his (and other songwriters) words

OH WAIT....

This is the reeelapse board, so I guess that means I have buddy holly glasses, a beard and skinny jeans now, right?
Sineadrepresent
Face of Collapse

Post by Sineadrepresent »

The first four american recordings are completely essential and the fifth has some unmissable tracks also even though it has a bit of leftovers air about it.

My major problem with VI is really petty but here it is...

"American V: A hundred Highways" doesn't really contain any bad tunes as such, but in comparison to its predecessors in the American series it is notably weaker in consistency. It's saving grace for me is the final track, a re-recording of "I'm free from the chain gang now", which one had been led to believe was the closer on the FINAL cash studio record, and I'll be goddamned if that wasn't the perfect tune to go out on. With the inclusion of this additional posthumous release we have "Aloha oe" as a career closer and that just doesn't cut it for me. VI has some fine songs on it, but is even spottier than V and is devoid any vital elements that would need to be heard outside the scope of a good rarities boxset somewhere down the line.

This thread may very well kickstart a big Cash phase, it's been a while, but if VI would have been a worthy addition to the series then I would've been on one already.

Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

bump
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Charles Schulzerie
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Post by Charles Schulzerie »

noah thirteen wrote:PS that movie was so gay they made about him...... I really disliked him as a person through the entire thing........
I really enjoyed it. I thought he was just enough shitbag to where I didn't hate him so much that I hate his music now. If anything, it gave his music more of a personal feeling.
noah thirteen wrote:
Friendly Goatus wrote:I didn't have any tortillas before I took the ambien, Noah. I'm a sharp cookie. I know things.
Just imagine a giant cookie buying tortillas on a shit load of ambien.....
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

noah thirteen wrote:I don't know why I felt the need to come into this thread and be so negative...... I hope you enjoy the record and find it a fun and rewarding listen!!!
it was just a feeling you had......go with it.