The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Post by Spooky Apparition »

my ladyfriend likes Dragon Age so much that she's already promised to buy Awakening plus any more expansions that come out 8) from watching her play (like 150 hours at this point) I realized that DA is a fucking HARD game to platinum. I think you need 3 complete playthroughs just for the level 20 trophies, ugh.
Hypnagogia
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Hypnagogia »

Wang Mandu wrote:
The Bill wrote:What's the general census on it's rival Prototype?
Prototype has faster, crazier action and cooler weapons. Infamous has a better presentation and a slightly better plot. Both games have bland, gruff voiced heroes and terrible side characters. I'd rate them about even, probably 6-7/10. Blood and gore = Prototype, superhero = Infamous.
Doesn't Prototype rely on the fighting game combat system of button mashing to string combos together?

I was stoked for Prototype, but when they never offered a demo, I waited, read reviews, and ended up w/ Infamous instead.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Mallard's a workin
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

Prototype was a really gory, fun game. I loved it. The fighting system was more button combinations for special moves rather than button mashing, and there are a TON special moves. I especially loved the one that throws like a hundred tendrils all around you covering an entire city intersection, impaling enemies and civilians alike. Gliding around the city, hopping from building to building, running down the street throwing traffic to either side in your wake... man, I just wish it was longer and had an extra city to run around in or something. The city available is pretty big but I just wanted MORE. I think the reviews didn't do it justice.
frost
(ಥ﹏ಥ)

Post by frost »

fucking prototype gets tedious after the first 5 hours of buttonmashing your way through hordes of unlimited enemies...
DEAD THREAD, LOCKED
-Admin'd
ungodlywarlock
Keep Farting...stinks...

Post by ungodlywarlock »

Wang Mandu wrote:
The Bill wrote:What's the general census on it's rival Prototype?
Prototype has faster, crazier action and cooler weapons. Infamous has a better presentation and a slightly better plot. Both games have bland, gruff voiced heroes and terrible side characters. I'd rate them about even, probably 6-7/10. Blood and gore = Prototype, superhero = Infamous.
Yeah, I'd say both of them scored about evenly because there are things that Prototype does way better on with some things and Infamous does better with on other things.

For my tastes, I personally enjoy Prototype more. I just felt more badass in general. And I think the enemies in Infamous are really boring as are the stupid "comic book cutscenes".
BroMan
Hetero as hell...

Post by BroMan »

Welp I have the go ahead to spend my first paycheck on GOW3. Whats funny is when I did the trade-ins for that big offer at Gamestop it was tie between Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, or Prototype. If you guys would have mentioned all this shit about Prototype I would have picked it up back then! GAH for shitty timing lol
PSN- BroMan43
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Hypnagogia wrote:Doesn't Prototype rely on the fighting game combat system of button mashing to string combos together?
Oh, so you're not going to pick up God of War III then?
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

Post by Necrophilic Mallard »

Wang Mandu wrote:
Hypnagogia wrote:Doesn't Prototype rely on the fighting game combat system of button mashing to string combos together?
Oh, so you're not going to pick up God of War III then?
I played the 1st one...it was ok fun, just not my type of game.

this made it more enjoyable:
Fact #7
From an empirical viewpoint, the problem with Free Will (and causality) is reconciling determinism and freedom to make sense of morality.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

Comrade Slinky wrote:Picked up the Awakening expansion, 45 dollars seems awfully steep. After that, the game and the add ons...pricey business.
Also wasn't expecting to lose my old party... :cry:
Songs of Love and Hate
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Songs of Love and Hate »

Anyone play Metro 2033 yet?
Steam - Sterile Prophet

PSN - Sterileprophet

http://withrpgelements.blogspot.com/
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Comrade Slinky wrote:
Comrade Slinky wrote:Picked up the Awakening expansion, 45 dollars seems awfully steep. After that, the game and the add ons...pricey business.
The price seems fair as I'll bet the length is pretty good. Don't mind losing the old party because the new characters look fun. I'm more worried about all of this "DLC not transferring over" crap . I'm sure some PC nerd/genius has or will be releasing a hotfix shortly. I better have a storage chest in Awakening.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

Songs of Love and Hate wrote:Anyone play Metro 2033 yet?
i played about an hour (pc). it's pretty good. despite what trailers might have indicated it's nothing like STALKER. it's really linear (so far anyway) and interactivity with your surroundings seems pretty low. so far it's a very scripted, but effectively atmospheric game. it's got some really impressive light effects if you care about that kind of thing/ have a good system.

i hope it opens up a little more later on but even if it doesn't, i really like the vibe it gives off.

word of warning though, despite the pc-centric graphical detail, it's obvious that they designed it to be multi-platform. in a weird way, you might actually be better off using a wired xbox controller on the pc version to get the best of both worlds. the controls feel a little... squishy, and there's no quicksave.

all of which doesn't matter TOO much because it's not a twitch game anyway.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

Wang Mandu wrote:
Comrade Slinky wrote:
The price seems fair as I'll bet the length is pretty good. Don't mind losing the old party because the new characters look fun. I'm more worried about all of this "DLC not transferring over" crap . I'm sure some PC nerd/genius has or will be releasing a hotfix shortly. I better have a storage chest in Awakening.
You get a storage chest right away. As for what transferred over, seems to be a mess. Had a lot of my gear, but was wearing a non-stat robe and helm? Might have to boot up my old character to see what got lost in the wash, may be more than a few things.
Songs of Love and Hate
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Songs of Love and Hate »

copstache wrote:
Songs of Love and Hate wrote:Anyone play Metro 2033 yet?
i played about an hour (pc). it's pretty good. despite what trailers might have indicated it's nothing like STALKER. it's really linear (so far anyway) and interactivity with your surroundings seems pretty low. so far it's a very scripted, but effectively atmospheric game. it's got some really impressive light effects if you care about that kind of thing/ have a good system.

i hope it opens up a little more later on but even if it doesn't, i really like the vibe it gives off.

word of warning though, despite the pc-centric graphical detail, it's obvious that they designed it to be multi-platform. in a weird way, you might actually be better off using a wired xbox controller on the pc version to get the best of both worlds. the controls feel a little... squishy, and there's no quicksave.

all of which doesn't matter TOO much because it's not a twitch game anyway.

I can't even get the game to run. It loaded up one time and I set up my graphic settings. Then I had to restart for them to take effect then it hangs at the THQ screen and crashes. I deleted and redownloaded from Steam but it still doesnt work. It was strange because after the redownload it didnt go through the install process again. I don't know I don't feel like dealing with this shit right now.
Steam - Sterile Prophet

PSN - Sterileprophet

http://withrpgelements.blogspot.com/
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

The Masses: So, The Bill, what game did you end up playing with your once in a lifetime free time on a Tuesday? :awesome:

The Bill: Nothing, I got home, fell asleep, and woke up when my wife got home.

The Masses: :tdown:
ungodlywarlock
Keep Farting...stinks...

Post by ungodlywarlock »

I know it's apparently like the shortest and easiest game in the world, but I'm still slowly working my way through Dante's Inferno.
I think I am actually kind of starting to hate the game itself.

Scenery and environment details? 10 out of fucking 10.
Gameplay? FUCK YOU SO BAD!

I really hate that they let you fight a couple of guys with your awesome scythe and then it's puzzle after stupid puzzle. And the puzzles aren't hard to figure out, they are just seemingly tuned so badly that you die from the smallest miscalculation on a jump. Restart...do it over, restart, do it over, restart, do it over. And then you accidentally fall in some lava after getting through it and it starts you all over again. This isn't fucking Megaman here, this is artificially trying to extend the length of the game and it sucks. Seriously, I just wanna kill some guys.

Still love all the Wayne Barlowe demon designs, but their level designers should be shot.

Definitely looking forward to finishing this and grabbing GOW3 to make up for it.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

ungodlywarlock wrote: they are just seemingly tuned so badly that you die from the smallest miscalculation on a jump. Restart...do it over, restart, do it over, restart, do it over.
Thank you, this was my first impression of the game when I played it that one time. If God of War III is super awesome and I'd want to replay it, I may just tell Inferno to fuck off.
Green Chamber
Nespithe

Post by Green Chamber »

Fucking wild game! Anyone play this who also played The World Ends With You? The similarities are puzzling me...
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

I played about an hour of each. Both seemed pretty cool. Devil Survivor looks like it has more depth but TWEWY looked more polished and original. I think fans of the persona games would love Devil Survivor. That would make sense since it's pretty much a persona game anyways... but yeah, the storylines are pretty similar. Those JSKWFOWBIJRPG's (Japanese School Kids Who Fight Other Worldly Beings In Japan Role Playing Games) are probably pretty popular over there.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

hypercard!

good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Post by 43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W »

Looks like I have to get a third DS now... Fuckers.

http://g4tv.com/videos/44831/Nintendo_D ... n_Preview/
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

hahaha that fighting game looks so retarded.. yet.. awesome?
Scarlet Bro Hansen
I like to smell things.

Post by Scarlet Bro Hansen »

I was going to post this in the "classic games" thread but I can't find it.

Holyshit, this was on the MASTER system? :drool: I've never even heard of it. looks amazing for an 8 bit game

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKJqyvz- ... re=related<
james wrote:im not downloading LeakyRapes
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Post by 43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W »

Scarlet Bro Hansen wrote:I was going to post this in the "classic games" thread but I can't find it.

Holyshit, this was on the MASTER system? :drool: I've never even heard of it. looks amazing for an 8 bit game

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKJqyvz- ... re=related<

Blow and shoot stuff up games.
Scarlet Bro Hansen
I like to smell things.

Post by Scarlet Bro Hansen »

43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W wrote:
Scarlet Bro Hansen wrote:
Blow and shoot stuff up games.

......And?
james wrote:im not downloading LeakyRapes