help: PC / External HD problem

Music posts are a bannable offense.
pooptastik
Too Many Sads Too Many Regrets

help: PC / External HD problem

Post by pooptastik »

i just got a new computer and my Seagate Expansion Desktop Hard Drive, 1.0TB 7200RPM keeps turning off each time i plug it in. But when i plug it to my older computer it functions. i have another External HD which is a push button and the computer registers it whenever i turn it on. i think it may have something to do with the Firewall or Security of the new Computer? im sorry for being dumb.
Gookstorm
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Re: help: PC / External HD problem

Post by Gookstorm »

Firewall doesn't affect this, but actually in some corporate versions of Vista or Windows 7, they disable external hard drives and flash drives from being used. Then again, you said another older one still works, so that isn't it either.

Does the newer 1.0TB drive need a power plug along with the connection to the computer? You've been plugging that in, too, right? But what do you mean by "turn off"? Does it spin up and when you plug it in, the fucker shuts off?
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote:
Gookstorm wrote:Koreans hate Americans too much to ever fuck them, silly roundeyes.
obviously you never been to kunsan, osan, or seoul.
Teufel
Olde Timer

Post by Teufel »

Could just be the USB port you're plugging into isn't powered, have you tried plugging in another USB device into that port?
Teufel's Tomb » Facebook » Last.FM
Junie Browning wrote:Do you know who I am? I will kill you and rape your family!
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

Here's a quickfix

1. Open the door
2. Get on the floor
3. Everybody walk the dinosaur
pooptastik

Post by pooptastik »

Gookstorm wrote:Firewall doesn't affect this, but actually in some corporate versions of Vista or Windows 7, they disable external hard drives and flash drives from being used. Then again, you said another older one still works, so that isn't it either.

Does the newer 1.0TB drive need a power plug along with the connection to the computer? You've been plugging that in, too, right? But what do you mean by "turn off"? Does it spin up and when you plug it in, the fucker shuts off?
it only has an AC Adapter. Whenever I plug it, the computer makes the "bing" sound, the ExHD lights up and I could hear the disc within spin but it shuts off after a few seconds.
Teufel wrote:Could just be the USB port you're plugging into isn't powered, have you tried plugging in another USB device into that port?
yeah I've tried every USB port I have available...should I try unplugging the ones for my mouse and keyboards?
takeasneededforpain
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by takeasneededforpain »

Have you tried Computer Management > Disk management, and assigning a drive letter?
Eat shit and live...
pooptastik

Post by pooptastik »

takeasneededforpain wrote:Have you tried Computer Management > Disk management, and assigning a drive letter?
no not yet but i'll do that when I come back!

thank you guys for responding.
pooptastik

Post by pooptastik »

takeasneededforpain wrote:Have you tried Computer Management > Disk management, and assigning a drive letter?
how do I assign a drive letter?

currently its plugged in and its registered