who here owns the least physical music?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Re: who here owns the least physical music?

Post by DeadWalrus »

amos galore wrote:My car only has a turn-table.
i've seen those, for reels

i play everything in my car off of a 16gb thumb drive because my car stereo fucking slays
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

And dudes if the chick is already in your room/place, she's going to fuck you either way. A girl saw my stack of HEAVY METAL magazine and still went ahead with it. So let's get real.
Last edited by Necrometer on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Tony Twist
Elitist Prick

Post by Tony Twist »

amos galore wrote:
Necrometer wrote:
DeadWalrus wrote:
E.E 3.0 wrote:anyone can paint too
haha yeah paint me a perfect copy of this in less than 10 minutes for less than a dollar:
Hey brainiac, CD-Rs are not a "perfect copy", they don't have the same quality of art on them, and they won't play in my car's old-ass CD player. Sup.
My car only has a turn-table.

amos galore
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by amos galore »

DeadWalrus wrote:
amos galore wrote:My car only has a turn-table.
i've seen those, for reels

i play everything in my car off of a 16gb thumb drive because my car stereo fucking slays
fucking hipsters
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

Necrometer wrote:Right... an inkjet-printed CD-R is an exact copy... fuck me...
you are trying very very hard to just not get it
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

DeadWalrus wrote:
Necrometer wrote:Right... an inkjet-printed CD-R is an exact copy... fuck me...
you are trying very very hard to just not get it
Not really! Who the fuck has the ability to print/assemble CD booklets in their home? That shit is awesome, moreso than the disc itself in the digital era.
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Post by 43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W »

Gookstorm wrote:You can appreciate art, literature, and music without being a goddamn packrat. Physical space becomes a luxury at a point, too.

I might have terabytes upon terabytes of digital media, but it takes up something about the size of a case of beer and gives me more room and, more importantly, umm.... mind space.

I have about 3,500 CD's in one case that is against my wall. It sticks out maybe 6 inches from the wall, about 6 feet long. Doesn't hardly take any room up at all.
Bored, Esq.

Post by Bored, Esq. »

I don't own a lot of metal CDs anymore. I got rid of everything I didn't consider a total classic for the ages or something that would always inspire me/emotionally mean something to me. So most of them are old albums.

Outside of those I have a lot of classical stuff and CDs from the entire history of rock...again, only really great stuff that I know I'll always love. I have many different versions of my favorite classical works...for example the Bach cello sonatas. I have many other CDs from other genres of music...some of these are simply collector's items now. But these were all mercilessly gone through and all lesser works taken out...

I sold my entire vinyl and tape collection back in about 1993, I think. I got a lot of money for it but I sometimes regret it. I like vinyl a lot but I wouldn't buy something on vinyl if it was also on CD. Most of the music these days isn't impressive enough for me to even buy it on CD, let alone vinyl. I get a lot of CDs through trades but I sell 99% of them.

I'm not a big fan of the mp3 format for close listening, even at 320. Luckily if I'm on the move I can rip things/play in FLAC now, so that's cool. Even when I'm testing stuff out I try to get it in FLAC or 320. I usually listen to an album for a week or so and then erase it. The stuff that accumulates over time that I really enjoy I buy. I know I'm going to like it for a long time. I usually try to buy stuff directly from the band or musician. I almost never buy stuff from labels or distros or whatever. Besides...I like talking to other musicians.

I keep mp3s of stuff that I simply can't get any other way. I love that mp3s allow me to listen to so much music and check out so much new stuff...but ultimately only about 15% of it is really worth my time, maybe less. I'm not a fan of mp3 sound quality. When I'm not out and about or listening to new stuff in mp3 format I have a CD player by my bed with really nice headphones and that's how I listen to things...or in my reading chair with a glass of whiskey. I really like to sink into things and not be distracted. I listen to a lot of music at night.

For a while there I preferred the portability/convenience of mp3s...but now I feel old and I want to go back to having physical things around me that I love, RE: my library.

I've never paid for mp3s, I never will.
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

Necrometer wrote:Not really! Who the fuck has the ability to print/assemble CD booklets in their home? That shit is awesome, moreso than the disc itself in the digital era.
there is literally nothing amazing about printing out a cd booklet and stapling it

http://www.atozaudio.com/html/blankcdinsert.html

5 seconds on google, $.30 each

every goddamned one man bedroom band prints these up. they are without any worth whatsoever. the record industry looooooves cds because they are a nickel's worth of material they can (could) charge $20 for.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

OK, so the difference between diamonds and cubic zarconia - that's legit and not a retarded social construct imposed by cocksuckers?
doubleblumpkin
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by doubleblumpkin »

E.E 3.0 wrote:people trying to convince themselves that LPs are anything but novelty anymore is cute
I enjoy your album much more on LP because I can sit on my couch and be a part of the atmosphere of the music and look at any artwork in large format and experience the music. If I'm going to listen to music "on the go" I don't want to have to deal with changing discs and skipping cds, I'll listen digitally. Some people like not having to flip discs, but that's really the only advantage I can see to cds, besides the pure mass of moving thing.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Dad wrote:Pizza nigga
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Turd Murder wrote:There's something about looking at your racks of cd's (or swaying stacks, if you're not the tidy type) and shelves full of vinyl that just says, 'jesus buttloving christ I need to buy more more more.' Call me crass consumer, call me socially retarded hoarder, but I look forward to those quiet, introspective moments when I can lay on the floor in front of my stereo and select titles at random and just get facefucked by music.
Agreed. I miss having my collection but I still thoroughly enjoy popping in a new album, putting on the headphones and forgetting about everything. I used to do this a lot more, need to fix that.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

noah thirteen wrote:
Smegma wrote:I think all of you "ditch the physical medium and go digital only" are the lowest fucking kikes of all time.
Here's something you an I can really agree on..... thread being checked only for foe'ing purposes from fucking cockfucks......
In.
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

You Killed Jesus wrote:I've been to Vancouver over this last year
you were in vancouver and didn't call to go for a drink ?

no, that's fine, i understand... you were probably busy... it's okay...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
:cry: :cry: :cry:
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

Necrometer wrote:OK, so the difference between diamonds and cubic zarconia - that's legit and not a retarded social construct imposed by cocksuckers?
don't get me started
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

I'm with Gookstorm. I try to support the things I like without having a bunch of more or less worthless shit. I pretty much only buy movies that I am going to share with other people regularly (the last few were Thee Films [the Burroughs experimental films] and the Jodorowsky box set). Cds are worthless to me.
fvkk
You Killed Jesus
Keep it thick...

Post by You Killed Jesus »

riley-o wrote:
You Killed Jesus wrote:I've been to Vancouver over this last year
you were in vancouver and didn't call to go for a drink ?

no, that's fine, i understand... you were probably busy... it's okay...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Sorry bro, gonna be there this spring so we can hang out and stuff then :rhug: :lhug:
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

DeadWalrus wrote:
Necrometer wrote:OK, so the difference between diamonds and cubic zarconia - that's legit and not a retarded social construct imposed by cocksuckers?
don't get me started
Indulge me!
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

Necrometer wrote:Indulge me!
in short, diamonds are also essentially worthless, or more accurately vastly over-inflated in value since they can be manufactured to be nearly indistinguishable from natural diamonds and can be produced flawlessly. that's actually one of the methods to determine if it is manufactured and, ironically, it's what is most sought after in natural stones. also, natural diamonds are over-mined, but prices are kept high by a combination of artificial scarcity and marketing (two months salary! she's worth it, right fellas?). then there's the wars and exploitation... so basically FUCK DIAMONDS cubic zirconia supremacy.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

right; diamond's are nature's vinyl
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

Necrometer wrote:right; diamond's are nature's vinyl
hmmmm, i find your metaphor uncompelling as i have yet to ethnically cleanse a population to acquire more vinyl.
BroMan
Hetero as hell...

Post by BroMan »

I own about 6 to 8 CD's that I bought myself and like 2 burned ones. I DO however have a cd from when I was a kid, The Beavis & Butthead Experiance and it still works!
PSN- BroMan43
Barcass Grinder
I hate my life.

Post by Barcass Grinder »

Bored, Esq. wrote:I like vinyl a lot but I wouldn't buy something on vinyl if it was also on CD....

The [mp3s] that accumulate over time that I really enjoy, I buy....

I keep mp3s of stuff that I simply can't get any other way...

I've never paid for mp3s, I never will.
Agreed on all these points.
blastocystosis
O.G. Interwebber

Post by blastocystosis »

Jofa.
Brian P.
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Brian P. »

Sorry Ross, I know threads are important, serious business but I'm not counting all that shit.
Music is the pleasure the mind gets by counting subconsciously.