who here owns the least physical music?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Re: who here owns the least physical music?

Post by milkmandan »

I only listen to lo-fi bedroom blackmetal in the purest of audio formats

ImageImageImage
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

A little booklet with some shit I haven't read since high school is not worth $12. Records are at least a more tactile experience; you don't just put on a 7" and then do whatever for a few hours. I have much easier time buying books than music or movies, but I still feel like a moron doing so.
fvkk
Charles Schulzerie
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Post by Charles Schulzerie »

noah thirteen wrote:
DeadWalrus wrote:
noah thirteen wrote:Throughout this thread you've pretty much earned more :drooly: s than anyone I have ever seen.......
tell me why physically owning a cd is better than an mp3
Uncompressed sound quality? Artwork? Liner notes? Supporting the artist/label? What the fuck are you going on about?
Stop trying to argue with him. I don't think he's going to get it.

As for me, I own a handful of CDs, LPs and EPs. I would probably own more if I had a real job and weren't fucking poor. Most of my music comes from my brother which he physically owns and I now have on my hard drive.
noah thirteen wrote:
Friendly Goatus wrote:I didn't have any tortillas before I took the ambien, Noah. I'm a sharp cookie. I know things.
Just imagine a giant cookie buying tortillas on a shit load of ambien.....
Charles Schulzerie
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Post by Charles Schulzerie »

father of lies wrote:A little booklet with some shit I haven't read since high school is not worth $12. Records are at least a more tactile experience; you don't just put on a 7" and then do whatever for a few hours. I have much easier time buying books than music or movies, but I still feel like a moron doing so.
Don't you enjoy reveling in that shit from high school every so often? Whenever I do put on one of my CDs or records, I'm usually looking through the inserts the whole time. It adds something to the music. It makes it more...personal. For me, at least.
noah thirteen wrote:
Friendly Goatus wrote:I didn't have any tortillas before I took the ambien, Noah. I'm a sharp cookie. I know things.
Just imagine a giant cookie buying tortillas on a shit load of ambien.....
Mike Green

Post by Mike Green »

DeadWalrus wrote:
noah thirteen wrote:Throughout this thread you've pretty much earned more :drooly: s than anyone I have ever seen.......
tell me why physically owning a cd is better than an mp3
neckbeard wrote:I'm half with you, but I'm not sure why you're defending vinyl. It's just as useless.

if all you care about the musical content, you are right. if you care about "physically owning the music" it's the only medium that makes any sense at all

Owning a cd is better than an mp3 because you're getting everything the artist intended for you to hear as well as see.

I went through my records a few weeks ago. It made me feel all nostalgic. Like, hey I remember where I got this, what show or store I was at and who I was there with.

Right now I am listening to wounded kings. I was probably on the shitter browsing for new bands on my Iphone and I came across these guys. Once I finished wiping the doodoo from my ass I probably got on soulseek.

I see your side though, too. Mp3's are more portable. Fuck man. I don't really care about this shit. I'm just really stoned. I need a cig. later.
Last edited by Mike Green on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

I own a shitload of cd's that I keep mostly boxed away. I own vinyl too. Some albums I opt for CDs and some I opt for vinyl. It depends on the band. And I have a shitload of mp3s for convenience sake. All kinds of bitrates too because I just don't give a fuck.
No Cunting Elves
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

i havent read any of this but when i look at the amount of shit i have in boxes i just get sick to my stomach when i realize how much cash i've spent on music over the years
Dann O)))
wolves evolve...

Post by Dann O))) »

Not me....although I buy less and less each year. I like to go back and buy older stuff for cheap on Ebay, stuff that never turns up on the net.
Vagectomy
I like to smell things.

Post by Vagectomy »

Dann O))) wrote: on Ebay, stuff that never turns up on the net.
:what:
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

let me just put it this way.....

ill never own the least physical music.

owning the actual thing is part of the experience.
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

I am with you on that, and I think the kids today are worse off without the means of discovery we all grew up with, but DW, Gookstorm, and fallbacktostone (and I!) are right. This is just stuff. Cool stuff, sure, and buying that stuff helps support things you care about, fine. It's still just a bunch of crap that feeds collectors' needs. What are you folks going to do in a few years when storage space and bandwidth are higher?
fvkk
neckbeard
Foaming at the mouth.

Post by neckbeard »

I better subscribe to a bunch of newspapers so I don't download more news than I can read.
kale
Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

Gookstorm wrote:
Idget Child wrote:The main issue that's being overlooked here is that burned CD-Rs are constructed differently than pro-CDs
No, that's not an issue at all here. I think you've overthought this one out and assumed a awareness level of the original comment. It has to do with means of manufacture for a congruent / identical product. For most people, an mp3 is functionally equivalent to a CD and far more convenient, so it wins. For a tiny minority, they value the properties associated with physical media as much, if not higher, than the actual music itself.
I agree with you (as I generally do on here) concerning how most people will see mp3s as being equivalent to the physical copy, but I went ahead with the deterioration of CD-Rs only because there was a bit of emphasis being placed on the reproducibility of CDs. I just wanted to emphasize on CD-Rs and home-printed artwork as being nothing more than ersatz.

I won't argue against the addiction that some people have to acquiring physical music because I have seen what has happened to friends of mine who work at record stores.
Chad wrote:Idget child might be the worst poster here though...
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

i guess i'd refine my post by saying i also wish had been more vigilant and strident with cycling shit out that i knew for a fact i'd never listen to. the appeal of owning plastic jewel cases has just rotted away for me but an intimate or personalized lp pressing or cassette i'm still down for.

i dont even want to think about this tbqh
Hypnagogia
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Hypnagogia »

milkmandan wrote:I only listen to lo-fi bedroom blackmetal in the purest of audio formats

VINYUHL
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Mallard's a workin
This Means War
The Brutality Continues...

Post by This Means War »

Turd Murder wrote:There's something about looking at your racks of cd's (or swaying stacks, if you're not the tidy type) and shelves full of vinyl that just says, 'jesus buttloving christ I need to buy more more more.' Call me crass consumer, call me socially retarded hoarder, but I look forward to those quiet, introspective moments when I can lay on the floor in front of my stereo and select titles at random and just get facefucked by music.
This. :tup:
hard paranormal dong wrote: one of these days im going to upload my fist onto the internet, i just hope one day you accidentally download it.
eyehatethehumanrace
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by eyehatethehumanrace »

I used to be digital only until I wised up and started collecting. I have a small collection, somewhere around 400 cds and 80 vinyls.
Brian P.
How's them beans, ma?

Post by Brian P. »

Necrometer wrote: think you would have to have 1 or 0 CDs to win this thread...
:tup: good thing I'm at peace with thread failure.
Music is the pleasure the mind gets by counting subconsciously.
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

This Means War wrote:
Turd Murder wrote:There's something about looking at your racks of cd's (or swaying stacks, if you're not the tidy type) and shelves full of vinyl that just says, 'jesus buttloving christ I need to buy more more more.' Call me crass consumer, call me socially retarded hoarder, but I look forward to those quiet, introspective moments when I can lay on the floor in front of my stereo and select titles at random and just get facefucked by music.
This. :tup:
real talk.
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

I own about 300 CDs, but none of them are less that 6 or 7 years old. They are all in a box in my basement. All my music is on my computer in MP3 format. Yup, I am a faggot obsessive downloading maniac, and proud of it. Don't care about MP3 quality as long as it's at least at 192.

Although I disagree 100% with Noah in this thread, I understand why people are like that. Music means a lot to me, but not enough to need to own physical copies, or needing to have everything with pristine sound quality. I couldn't care less about packaging, artwork....even lyrics. I am more than happy with filling my 160gig Ipod with most of my music collection, throwing it on shuffle, and making what could be concidered an ADD party mix.
Toilet Fleet wrote:dogs are shit tbqh
oh wow youre loyal, you know who else was loyal, fuckin goebbels
pleasuretokill
Olde Timer

Post by pleasuretokill »

Went all digital about 5 years ago. Used to have about 800 or so cds... moving them sucked. Digital is just too convenient, to play, to store... everything. I have everything backed up onto 18-20 DVDs now. I own about 20 cds now and about 30-35 Vinyl... mostly collectors items that I will not part with.
"Did your parents put and Atari 2600 in a gold box and wrap it with Genesis paper to fuck with you?" - Pieclun
"theres a new Camo stronger than black ice, its better tasting than all the rest. its 12.5% and tastes sorta like cream soda mixed with piss. i like it!" - ghost boner
Gookstorm
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Gookstorm »

noah thirteen wrote:I'll also add that it's not particularly impressive to me when someone owns thousands upon thousands of records..... as if that's something to be bragging about!
It becomes a matter of economical means at a point and what the purpose of access to the music is for. Ever see Elton John's collection? He has about 100,000+ CDs in a room that looks like a library. Of course he doesn't have the time to listen to them all.

But the worst part of having such a large collection is that you must organize it or it just sits wasting space, you can't take it with you everywhere, and you're probably holding onto stuff that's already useless due to bitrot (it affects more than CD-Rs - see what happened to a bunch of Bruce Springsteen CDs). This all takes away from enjoying the music in itself. The point of a bigass collection to me is just as self-absorbed and egomaniacal as having a bigass house.

Digital means more time to enjoy the music, more opportunities to enjoy the music, and a higher guarantee that you'll be able to continue to enjoy the music in the future. Artificially controlling supply via vinyl-only releases and such is lame to me because you don't care about the music as much as the culture behind the music. Go write a sociology book then instead if you have so much shit to say? I'll read the book once it's out as an e-book then so I don't have to hold onto 50 boxes of dead trees.

Almost all of my productivity gains in life have been from dissociating information from the media it's on. There are pros and cons to this, and I think that the cons can be easily made up through means that will continue to exist even if physical media became banned (as an extreme case). This is why I have few reservations about going all-digital.
ThE GodDamN BattletweeteR wrote:
Gookstorm wrote:Koreans hate Americans too much to ever fuck them, silly roundeyes.
obviously you never been to kunsan, osan, or seoul.
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

I spend all of my free time agonizing and obsessing over music, putting mountains of thought into each individual purchase to assure that I have only the most absolutely pristine and purest of music collections. It only makes sense that my collection be on the finest of plastics, cradled lovingly in generic jewel cases, the liner notes illegible, the artwork microscopic. I am noah thirteen.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

DeadWalrus wrote:I spend all of my free time agonizing and obsessing over music, putting mountains of thought into each individual purchase to assure that I have only the most absolutely pristine and purest of music collections. It only makes sense that my collection be on the finest of plastics, cradled lovingly in a generic jewel case, the liner notes illegible, the artwork microscopic. I am noah thirteen.
Hey man remember when I tricked you into discrediting your own vinyl analogy by getting you to rant about the fake value of diamonds? That was awesome!
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

Necrometer wrote:Hey man remember when I tricked you into discrediting your own vinyl analogy by getting you to rant about the fake value of diamonds? That was awesome!
hey man remember when that analogy had absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the discussion? that was hella sick!