who here owns the least physical music?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W
Nespithe

Re: who here owns the least physical music?

Post by 43°29′28″N 83°23′49″W »

I'd love to have a huge dimaond collection. So I could sell it to buy more CD's.
hooked on sonics
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Post by hooked on sonics »

i have like 20-30 favorite bands who i own the most of the discography and like another 30-40 'satellite bands' with one or two records. About 400, maybe closer to 500 cds total since i got into acid mothers temple, the necks and autechre recently ha.

that's not counting the 200 cds under my bed bought blind when i was a kid pre internet... just never sold them.

i don't have lots of vinyl, less than 100

so i'm all about focusing on things that i want to have forever, things i get a lot out of

i also have most of the stuff i want that i know of, everything i want at this point is rare/old/oop
Last edited by hooked on sonics on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hooked on sonics
Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-ka

Post by hooked on sonics »

double
delmuerte
The boss of you.

Post by delmuerte »

I think this thread can only be answered by the fact that I have tons of DATs, DVDs, ADATs, and even reels of old bands that I had something to do with. You lose, I win. Fuck ovv. Thread locked.
doubleblumpkin
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by doubleblumpkin »

You didn't really lock the thread, don't front Leon
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Dad wrote:Pizza nigga
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

DeadWalrus wrote:
Necrometer wrote:Hey man remember when I tricked you into discrediting your own vinyl analogy by getting you to rant about the fake value of diamonds? That was awesome!
hey man remember when that analogy had absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the discussion? that was hella sick!
Actually no, I don't remember the future or other universes. In this universe up until at least now, the analogy was totally awesome because CZ is totally nature's CDR, the thing that's easy to make and delivers the goods but is deemed worthless because snobby fucktards deem it "not scarce enough".
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

I'm slowly pouring everything I have into my Ipod. I'm sick of dozens of jewel cases flying though my car, getting crushed. Side note: I just got an fm transmitter, so I have a slight hiss in the background with every track I play. It sounds so analogue!
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
caldwell.the.great
San Dimas High school football rules!

Post by caldwell.the.great »

i know people that like music a lot and don't sound like an asshole.
Necrometer wrote:fucking scientists
"you can't eat a sandwich with a clenched fist."
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
http://laughtrack.wordpress.com
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

Necrometer wrote:Actually no, I don't remember the future or other universes. In this universe up until at least now, the analogy was totally awesome because CZ is totally nature's CDR, the thing that's easy to make and delivers the goods but is deemed worthless because snobby fucktards deem it "not scarce enough".
yes, exactly

diamond:CD::cubic zirconia:CD-R

in other words, there is no intrinsic value in something that can be reproduced so easily except to frothing music nerds who insist that there is something functionally and aesthetically different between the two bits of plastic

and look, i'll just go ahead and break this down since this board is incapable of understanding irony: "owning music" is for nerds. end of story. CD's, LP's, cassettes, whatever, they are all bullshit collectibles at this point, no different than a band shirt or beer coozie. they are completely unnecessary as media. i was mocking the smegma's and noah's (not them specifically, they just came to mind first) for acting like true music fans, the one's who actually really really care about the music because they spend a ton of money on little bits of plastic and then justify it with "butbutbut liner notes maaaaaan". it's all pretty fucking dumb, but i do it too, so whatever. i like records because if i am going to buy the collectible merchandise, i'd like it to be the super-coolest most hipsterest merchandise i can get
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

caldwell.the.great wrote:i know people that like music a lot and don't sound like an asshole.
how novel !
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

caldwell.the.great wrote:i know people that like music a lot and don't sound like an asshole.
i bet they don't spend a lot of time on the internet
caldwell.the.great

riley-o wrote:
how novel !
there are even a few of them here!!!
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
caldwell.the.great

DeadWalrus wrote:
i bet they don't spend a lot of time on the internet
naw man. i think a lot of people here are pretty cool and very knowledgeable about music, even people that i think have otherwise annoying online personas. but when discussions like these pop up, online or elsewhere, people can't help but sound like assholes no matter what their argument is. i've watched cool dudes turn into blabbering vaginas in the blink of a Yacopsae song.
Last edited by caldwell.the.great on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

caldwell.the.great wrote:
riley-o wrote:
how novel !
there are even a few of them here!!!
well i don't believe that for a second...
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
DeadWalrus
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DeadWalrus »

caldwell.the.great wrote:naw man. i think a lot of people here are pretty cool and very knowledgeable about music, even people that i think have otherwise annoying online personas. but when discussions like these pop up, online or elsewhere, people can't help but sound like assholes no matter what their argument is. i've watched cool dudes turn into blabbering vaginas in the blink of a Yocapsae song.
yeah, i hear ya

i know i come off like a huge douche but it's almost uncontrollable. it ain't something i do irl
eyehatethehumanrace
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by eyehatethehumanrace »

noah thirteen wrote:
DeadWalrus wrote:I spend all of my free time agonizing and obsessing over music, putting mountains of thought into each individual purchase to assure that I have only the most absolutely pristine and purest of music collections. It only makes sense that my collection be on the finest of plastics, cradled lovingly in generic jewel cases, the liner notes illegible, the artwork microscopic. I am noah thirteen.
Shut the fuck up.....
sorry, Noah, I have to admit that make me chuckle a bit.
monsterod
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by monsterod »

I have plenty of cds, mp3s, records, and a few tapes. I think I have an 8-track sitting in a trunk somewhere. Who cares either way?

:immediateresponsetothurberpost:
turn these off meatman.
skin & bones
Soul of the Martyr

Post by skin & bones »

i don't consider myself part of what i call "the myspace generation" (born in the late 80's, early 90's) so yes, i definitely have a good bit of physical music. i haven't counted lately, but it's 500-600 cds and 1 vinyl, haha. the thought of giving up all that artwork, lyrics, messages from the bands, superior sound quality, and neat packaging, makes me sick. if you're not listening to tool's 10,000 days while looking at their 3-D artwork through the built in glasses, and if you're not listening to POS's never better while re-arranging the transparent and opaque paper and plastic slips to create your own personal cover art, then in my opinion, we're not listening to the same album.

yet, i am buying more and more mp3 downloads, mostly when they're super cheap, because i completely understand the benefits of them. amazon has plenty of different mp3 albums for just $5, different ones every month. that allows me to get some new music - stuff i may never have gotten around to buying on cd - while still supporting the artist. and stealing music? completely out of the question.
!
Iron Goldie
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Post by Iron Goldie »

I have a pretty good amount of physical music I think. Around 700 to maybe 800 cds, maybe 50 or so vinyl, and maybe 20 tapes. I also have a lot of mp3s, I won't lie. I've never paid for an mp3 though (lol WAREZ). If I currently had more money I'd be buying physical copies to replace my mp3s, but sadly I'm poor...
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

bandcamp purchaes go 100% to artists today

so for all you spotify PARASITES, time to pay up

also worth revisiting the decade-old question - who has gone 100% digital (no physical music) ?

edit: my war with DEADWALRUS starts on page 2 and just keeps going :lol:
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

probably have about 50 lps and a little book of cds and thats it. i sold off my collection a few times when i was poor and every now and then will buy something. i primarily use google play music which has almost everything i want to listen to so that works out pretty good. you can even cache your music and listen to it offline for times im camping or something and cant get service. rules pretty good
formerly ghost boner
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

I probably have about 500-600 CDs.. 100 tapes and a small amount of vinyl. I rarely buy new shit. Most anything new I get from trades/give aways when doing a release with a micro label. Last time I bought any music was probably when Hastings went out of business. I bought about ten CDs from Pooptastic Paulo but that was a few years ago now.
Ill body
/
Ill will
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

i have none
well there are two boxes in the rafters
40 cds that get to exist by association
because i can't throw out el mundo frio or steve's first bands' cd
gave my vinyl to becki for safe keeping
Last edited by featherboa on Fri May 01, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Certified Poster
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

dddd
Image Certified Poster