The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by doomeddisciple »

I have had to go away and do a fair bit of work this week so I have only incrementally made it up to the Dragon Slayer/Executioner fight.

My Chaos fireball takes Dragon dude down in about 3 hits and executioner then kicks my butt with the electric hammer. I've only had 4 cracks at them, I'm sure I will get through.

I intend to go down to the great hollow and do the second hyrdra next so I can get the light spell.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

ungodlywarlock wrote:Killed Quelaag and the Iron Golem last night. Quelaag was an easy one-shot, but I was sort of shocked how much trouble I was having with that fucking golem. He was easy, but I was having a really hard ass time paying attention to my walking space and I kept getting knocked off the edge or (full disclosure) kept falling off myself.

ARGH!

But all worth it, because Anor Londo is amazing looking.
tonight the iron golem killed me 11 times in a row :oops: the last time i had him down to about 1/20th of his health and i rolled off the edge. then i caved and summoned someone to help me and beat him in about 20 seconds. i'm not proud of myself, but goddamn anor londo is cool. that helped me forget my shame.

also, i don't get how anor londo has such a smooth frame rate compared to something like blighttown. it seems waaay more complex and the game's performance is almost perfect. weird.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

TheDOAD wrote: And how do i get more than 12 shots per Bonfire and or refil that shit on the fly?
More than 12? You should be able to go to 10 at a kindled bonfire at the beginning. If you have 12, you got two bonus ones from standing close to a bonfire when another player lit it in their game. To get more than 10:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
You have to kill Pinwheel in the Catacombs (easy boss, but tough level with no unlockable shortcuts that I'm aware of) to acquire the rite of kindling. This lets you kindle the bonfires more than once, adding 5 Estus each time.
Have to agree with everybody about Anor Londo, it's fucking amazing looking, although I've had some framerate issues there as well. Nowhere near as bad as Blighttown, though.

So anyway, yesterday I decided Gravelord Nito can go fuck himself for the time being and went back to hell, I mean the Demon Ruins. For some reason I managed to kill the Centipede Demon on my own after about five tries, but needed help for the Demon Firesage. Looking back, it seems like Centipede Demon was the much harder boss, but, well, yeah. Summoned some guy whose Int was jacked up so high that he literally killed him with two or three casts of whatever type of Soul Arrow he was using. I'm about level 70, I think that means he couldn't have been higher than 80 - dude must've just poured everything into Int.

Then I decided to go and get me one of them Crystal Ring Shields. Word to the wise: the first modification option with the word "Crystal" in it that you see in the menu at the Giant Blacksmith is NOT what you're looking for... and you can't revert a Crystal shield to +10, meaning if you fuck this up because it's 1 am and you're half asleep, you have to grind about another 40,000 souls to pay for the Titanite to upgrade another shield to +10. Derp derp derp. I can see why the Wiki recommends it for just about every bossfight, though. It's ranged and apparently the damage is double whatever the damage output of your right-hand weapon is, which means it's currently displaying just something over 1000 if I use it against the Undead Soldiers in the Firelink Shrine. Too slow to really be viable against enemies that move around a lot, but for the big, slow and fat variety it should work extremely well.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Oh, also, Iron Golem melee strategy:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Lure him to the walkway where you come in to the arena. Stand between his feet and attack his legs. Don't target him, it just makes the camera whip around, disorienting you and causing you to fall off. If you do enough damage in quick succession, you can stagger him and he'll actually fall off and die. I'm not 100% sure what caused him to fall off, but that's what I did.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

pretty sure doad was talking about how to get more spells at the bonfire or how to refill spells away from the bonfire

which afaik is not possible
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

riley-o wrote:pretty sure doad was talking about how to get more spells at the bonfire or how to refill spells away from the bonfire

which afaik is not possible
Oh. Hence the 12. Derrderr.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the number of casts stacks if you have multiple copies of the same spell.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Magick Sam wrote:endless fucking mosquitoes
I don't know if I've said this yet, but if I have one nitpick that really pisses me off, it's this. Infitely respawning enemies? Really?

There's a few other things to do with enemy types and behavior, but I'll finish the game first. Three bosses to go until endgame. I'm thinking powerbaming this weekend. Although I'm not sure if I shouldn't try to get at least some of the upgrade trophies before I start NG+ where it's probably going to be harder to get around and farm.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

So the big thing with Gravelord Nito for me was realizing that he stops doing his unblockable assrape spike move if you get close to him. Ultimately I just needed to clear out a few of he skeletons, then circle around him at mid-range and hit him with the Crystal Ring Shield.

I also finally drained New Londo today. Literally on my last Transient Curse, and when that ran out, of course it turned out that there was one last ghost I hadn't killed yet, so that one chased me all over the map while I was looking for that fucking lever. But I made it.

Oh, also, I was attacked by an NPC just before the first of the narrow bridges in New Londo. Looked like one of those things where something you do causes an NPC to turn hollow and hostile, but I didn't recognize him and so far I don't notice anyone missing. Nothing on the Wiki about this either.
ungodlywarlock
Keep Farting...stinks...

Post by ungodlywarlock »

spacehamster wrote:
Magick Sam wrote:endless fucking mosquitoes
I don't know if I've said this yet, but if I have one nitpick that really pisses me off, it's this. Infitely respawning enemies? Really?

There's a few other things to do with enemy types and behavior, but I'll finish the game first. Three bosses to go until endgame. I'm thinking powerbaming this weekend. Although I'm not sure if I shouldn't try to get at least some of the upgrade trophies before I start NG+ where it's probably going to be harder to get around and farm.
It's especially frustrating because people like to drop their little dragon remains on the ground down near that bonfire. So if you want some pvp, it's pretty much the worst place to do it, because they always train the damn mosquitoes to you. Of course, they have also usually slogged through swamp and are poisoned as well, so they are at a disadvantage, but still.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

I think after being blessed by dumb luck in the Nito fight - I found myself cornered by him with some staligmites stopping his swings from damaging me in a glitch and his big ass blocking the skeletons from gangbanging me - 4 chaos and 4 great fireballs = no nito.

Then the giant lava centipede thing I hammered with Soul Spearsreally easily.

Then I forgot I hadn't done the 4 kings yet.

Holy kickin' my ass they suck.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

I have ascended to dark souls manhood and just linked the flame. I think my balls just dropped.
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

I'M A SHOOTING STAR LEAPING THROUGH THE SKY LIKE A TIGER DEFYING THE LAWS OF GRAVITY
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
DON'T
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
STOP
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
ME
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
NOW
just beat this again with Queen

Sir Schwartz and Lady Schwartzevere rule this kingdom

Uncharted 3 tomorrow and more not playing Batman
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Did you beat it again with a different character or on a NG+?
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

doomeddisciple wrote:Did you beat it again with a different character or on a NG+?
Well it looks like the gender changed and this ain't fable 2...
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

Patch incoming (Note: List looks poorly translated):

http://www.preparetodie.com/forums/view ... 18&t=17137
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

at least now you can see how many souls you need to level up that was the biggest WTF WHY
jakebonz@work
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jakebonz@work »

Yeah, they had it in Demon's Souls. Wonder why on earth they took it out of this one.
ungodlywarlock
Keep Farting...stinks...

Post by ungodlywarlock »

Beat Ornstein and Smough.
Man, they were hard for me. I did have to summon Soltaire, though. I don't regret it in the least bit. Those guys are dicks.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

ungodlywarlock wrote:Beat Ornstein and Smough.
Man, they were hard for me. I did have to summon Soltaire, though. I don't regret it in the least bit. Those guys are dicks.
I had help for that fight too. Because ugh.

Currently ploughing through Lost Izalith. Then I really "only" have the Four Kings left before the endgame, but like I said earlier, I may actually fuck around and get a few of the upgrade trophies first.

Also, I seriously had to give myself two days off from this game, I couldn't take it anymore. I had a much longer break during my first DS playthrough, though, so I guess that doesn't really have to mean anything.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

I didn't play as a human very often so I didn't get an opportunity to have help with that fight, actually scratch that. This board helped me cause grinding out enough souls to have uber fireballs before that fight was what got me the w.

I never went to painted land in the my first playthrough. I found the painting a couple of times, before and after getting the lordvessel, but nothing happened when I approached it.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

doomeddisciple wrote:I didn't play as a human very often so I didn't get an opportunity to have help with that fight, actually scratch that. This board helped me cause grinding out enough souls to have uber fireballs before that fight was what got me the w.

I never went to painted land in the my first playthrough. I found the painting a couple of times, before and after getting the lordvessel, but nothing happened when I approached it.
Apparently you need...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
...the peculiar doll (it sometimes pops up in the load screens), which you get by getting the crow to take you back to the tutorial level. I haven't tried this myself, though. I'm gonna go over the list of what you can get from Snuggly before I go back there.
ungodlywarlock
Keep Farting...stinks...

Post by ungodlywarlock »

doomeddisciple wrote:I didn't play as a human very often so I didn't get an opportunity to have help with that fight, actually scratch that. This board helped me cause grinding out enough souls to have uber fireballs before that fight was what got me the w.

Yeah, I actually have my pyro ascended to +5 and they still gave me trouble. I just wasn't quick enough on the toes to make much progress and Ornstein kept dodging all my fireballs, so I went with a Iron Flesh strat and just let both of them beat on me for the first round and burned Ornstein down. But then after that, I was so slow that Smough smashed/charged me good.

Having Soltaire tank them made it a ton easier, because at least then they weren't both nailing me.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

ungodlywarlock wrote:

Yeah, I actually have my pyro ascended to +5 and they still gave me trouble. I just wasn't quick enough on the toes to make much progress and Ornstein kept dodging all my fireballs, so I went with a Iron Flesh strat and just let both of them beat on me for the first round and burned Ornstein down. But then after that, I was so slow that Smough smashed/charged me good.

Having Soltaire tank them made it a ton easier, because at least then they weren't both nailing me.

I wish I had that.

I died multiple times due to mis-timing my pyro trying to get Ornstein to walk onto them...
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

So either I missed something, or Bed of Chaos really was a pretty stupid "bossfight". Figuring out the puzzle is one thing, and I don't mind getting killed a couple of times while I trial-and-error that shit, but if I know exactly where to sprint to and just have to do it three times because every now and then the game decides that just now would be a good time to launch a largely unpredictable swipe at me that it has never done before and that's why I have to run through the level yet again... no. Really, just no.

But it's done now. Four Kings, I'm coming for your asses.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

spacehamster wrote:So either I missed something, or Bed of Chaos really was a pretty stupid "bossfight". Figuring out the puzzle is one thing, and I don't mind getting killed a couple of times while I trial-and-error that shit, but if I know exactly where to sprint to and just have to do it three times because every now and then the game decides that just now would be a good time to launch a largely unpredictable swipe at me that it has never done before and that's why I have to run through the level yet again... no. Really, just no.

But it's done now. Four Kings, I'm coming for your asses.
That was dumb, but at least you didn't have to re-do the chaos orbs on the side each time.