Liturgy gets destroyed...

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Re: Liturgy gets destroyed...

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

Nope, I just know I can't read that shit.
ghost boner wrote:our cousins should fuck
postaddiction
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by postaddiction »

fuckin buenoallthetime
:lj:
gustavprom
Hella Evil & Shit

Post by gustavprom »

Necrometer wrote:
Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:Can someone explain this burst beat to me?
it's just a blast wherein the tempo ramps up/down gradually - I don't think they tend to vary it more than maybe 30 bpm during a given cohesive sement of music
so a technique a skilled free jazz/improv drummer may have employed for decades
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

hey man I just work here

HHH himself said, back in '09:
“Transcendental Black Metal,” a lecture by Hunter Hunt-Hendrix, the young singer and guitarist of the Brooklyn band Liturgy, gave the Nordic black-metal tradition a stern challenge, and amounted to an artistic manifesto for his own band. He discussed how America represents “dignity, freedom, renewal and hybridization,” and suggested that these qualities could be represented in a new form of black metal. He proposed a new rhythm to replace the blast beat: the “burst beat,” by which rhythm can contract and expand in time, as in free jazz. He cited Aaron Copland’s “Appalachian Spring” and Ornette Coleman’s “Skies of America” as philosophical models, with their “joyful experience of the continuity of existence.” He talked of “life and hypertrophy” replacing “death and atrophy,” and in his own way he was as nonnegotiable as Ovskum: “Our affirmation is a refusal to deny.”
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
gustavprom
Hella Evil & Shit

Post by gustavprom »

sounds like this dumbass never heard western canadian war metal then...
Ogre of Disgust
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by Ogre of Disgust »

n00bDaddy > HHH

POST SUCKS
From Blintzes to Crepes
Elitist Prick

Post by From Blintzes to Crepes »

You guys know who else quotes Marcus Aurelius?

Thurber.
Friendly Goatus wrote:I want to shout obscenities into her vagina and then whisper apologies into her butthole
monsterod wrote:I'm gonna skin my dick to this when I'm sober enough to cum.
Gunther wrote:shut up redneck
VueeeuVueeeeuV
DO NOT WANT.

Post by VueeeuVueeeeuV »

gustavprom wrote: so a technique a skilled free jazz/improv drummer may have employed for decades
As if any black metal fan would lower themselves to listen to negro music.

I've really grown to love these guys. They're exactly the same as every other black metal band, just as pompous, just as ridiculous. The only difference being they look like they have had sex with ladies who are under 400 pounds. Sort of like the scrawny thrash kids of the eighties where kinda scuzzy, but in the mid 2000s the kids that aped that style where sexual gods because they could actually fit into skinny jeans when the rest of the "metal community" was spilling over the band of their sweatpants.

These people are clowns, in the absolute best sense of the word. They tweaked some humorless fuckers by being even more humorless and pretentious and had the nerve to get laid at the same time! While poor Absu would be happy for a spot in terrorizor or whatever the hell metal publications exist, these guys where in the fucking New Yorker! All that hard work that went into serious black metal and they all, every single fucking one, got upstaged by some brooklyn hipsters! HA! Its not fair! HA! Black metal... the ultimate in "proud elitism" just got clowned by some bourgeois kids. Listen to the tears! Listen to the indignation! Listen and laugh!

I have never once heard their music, I frankly suspect its not about the music at all!
Exterminate. EXTERMINATE!
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Kurt Russell's Beard »

VueeeuVueeeeuV wrote:
gustavprom wrote: so a technique a skilled free jazz/improv drummer may have employed for decades
As if any black metal fan would lower themselves to listen to negro music.

I've really grown to love these guys. They're exactly the same as every other black metal band, just as pompous, just as ridiculous. The only difference being they look like they have had sex with ladies who are under 400 pounds. Sort of like the scrawny thrash kids of the eighties where kinda scuzzy, but in the mid 2000s the kids that aped that style where sexual gods because they could actually fit into skinny jeans when the rest of the "metal community" was spilling over the band of their sweatpants.

These people are clowns, in the absolute best sense of the word. They tweaked some humorless fuckers by being even more humorless and pretentious and had the nerve to get laid at the same time! While poor Absu would be happy for a spot in terrorizor or whatever the hell metal publications exist, these guys where in the fucking New Yorker! All that hard work that went into serious black metal and they all, every single fucking one, got upstaged by some brooklyn hipsters! HA! Its not fair! HA! Black metal... the ultimate in "proud elitism" just got clowned by some bourgeois kids. Listen to the tears! Listen to the indignation! Listen and laugh!

I have never once heard their music, I frankly suspect its not about the music at all!
You're totally right.

But I'm pretty sure this guy fucks whomever he wishes...
VueeeuVueeeeuV
DO NOT WANT.

Post by VueeeuVueeeeuV »

Not only does he fuck anyone he wants, when he fucks them he fucks everyone who has ever and will ever live at the same time.
Exterminate. EXTERMINATE!
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

I want to see HHH locked in a cage with Caller of the Storms...
Zerohero wrote:shooting cum on that hot chick that is my altar.
doubleblumpkin wrote:Guess who's riding a pig through the jungle 8)
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

I read that dude's manifesto last night. I think I'd read some of it before and laughed at it. Maybe it was my mood last night but I didn't hate it, I found it interesting, in that sort of way when your mood allows space for people to try new things, or at least jabber on or whatever. Sure I think he's over-intellectualizing and trying to make his music super important, and it's almost like you can't do that yourself, someone else has to come along and find it worthy. But didn't that HHH guy study philosophy at university, isn't he just writing in the mode he's accustomed to for papers and shit? I guess when I'm super tolerant and see it that way, I'm not offended. He's trying to be like Badiou or one of his heroes. No skin off my back. So after reading it and being interested (I had scotch and pot last night) I then found some of the music on youtube and was disappointed to hear his vocals sounding like complete shit. And I couldn't hear this burst beat he describes. It just sounded like the drummer was switching from quarter to tuplet time and variations of that, and I assumed that was this "rupture" technique he described, but who the fuck knows. When you think about it, black metal has it's own unspoken manifesto and people usually sign on to that or they don't and they leave black metal alone. I like black metal but I'm not invested in it, as far as my identity or passion goes, so the fact that HHH is twisting the original tropes and being presumptuous doesn't really offend me.

Does all this mean I now suck cocks? I feel it does, but I can't taste the cocks so for me it's like they're not in my mouth.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I've sorta defended this guy & the music from a similar angle... I think? I'm OK with him thinking about music and its connection with philosophy that way, but shoving it down everyone's throats so smugly is just fucking terrible. Tons of artist have thought just as hard, and composed internal manifestos. Then when you encounter the music, hopefully it all comes through / pays off / gives the audience a next-level experience. When this fuck shows his potentially hand so blatantly and prematurely, he's not only kicked out of the saloon but hopefully run over by a carriage soon after.
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Necrometer wrote:I've sorta defended this guy & the music from a similar angle... I think? I'm OK with him thinking about music and its connection with philosophy that way, but shoving it down everyone's throats so smugly is just fucking terrible. Tons of artist have thought just as hard, and composed internal manifestos. Then when you encounter the music, hopefully it all comes through / pays off / gives the audience a next-level experience. When this fuck shows his potentially hand so blatantly and prematurely, he's not only kicked out of the saloon but hopefully run over by a carriage soon after.
I can agree with that. I think his heroes, who are philosophers, are creating written works that are the things in themselves, they are treatises, where as he's trying to create music, art, and doing critique on it, so it really isn't the same thing. Not sure if that makes sense. It did a second ago.

And if his music was better, I'd probably sign on and think his ideas were sort of cool. Then the taste of cock would be all in the back of my throat.
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Oh, and scanning the book the manifesto was in, I came across your quote, Umesh. Is that author going to collect all those interviews into a book or something? On the USBM scene? Heard anything?
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:And if his music was better, I'd probably sign on and think his ideas were sort of cool.
That's the thing: I think that for non-hipster listeners, his music has a better chance to be accepted as cool without this PhD-level hypestorm preceding it. I definitely hear things differently depending on whether it's been prefaced with "this is the best thing ever". See also: my eternal hate for The Beatles.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

i think everyone can just agree that the music is fucking garbage. no amount of pretension will change that.
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Maybe he should have released that paper under a pseudonym. Or paid one of his teachers to put his or her name on it. Then act all coy about it in interviews and reluctantly admit that it's totally correct. Then refuse to do interviews shortly after and be a fake recluse. I'd probably eat that shit up with a spoon. Hmm, which makes me a little shallow but totally human.

I'm imagining it also with rad music. I don't think it's total garbage as is, but it's not in the territory of good.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

ahahaha, grad school needs mandatory classes in trolling :cheers:
Bored013 wrote:
a world of no wrote:i think everyone can just agree that the music is fucking garbage. no amount of pretension will change that.
That's definitely the main point for me.
goddamnit bored you've defended aspects of the music, and I know that shit's been in your playlist posts...
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

that certainly doesn't mean he wouldn't think it was garbage. i've given garbage a chance. i'm sure most of us have. some things grow. this shit doesn't.
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

You guys are missing out on one of the subtle nuances of hilarity in the HHH saga...

- He runs his cocksucker on about inventing the burst beat, which is organic like breathing and economics, and how he needed to get a living drummer to play it as he couldn't program the burst beat..

- In the Scion interview the only other member of the band who gets stoked and engaged is the drummer who goes on about the trancendental nature of their playing.

- Fantano fills his shorts with jizz about how the drummer is locked in with the music in such a vital, organic fashion
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
- For whatever reason the drummer gets 86'd and HHH does a Liturgy tour with drum machines.
MANIFESTO!!!
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

First show in Norway? Corpsepaint?

Perfect.
mithrandir
It's my lucky day!

Post by mithrandir »

I don't hate Liturgy the way everyone else does, but when I see stuff like this I think perhaps its best that BM went away for a while...
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

Ohhh... looks like HHH dyed his hair DARK; has he reversed his repudiation of the Haptic Void?