Sci Fi Speed Dating

Music posts are a bannable offense.
jen said destroy
Don't mess with my shit.

Sci Fi Speed Dating

Post by jen said destroy »

I realized I'm about a month late in reporting my experience with this, but work is kinda crazy and I forget to come here sometimes. I hung out with Paulo recently and realized I haven't really told anyone how it went besides the folks I was with at comic con. So, I had pre-registered online and had a slot at noon on Friday. I got there a little late and was apparently the last one to arrive. It was a little intimidating because the first thing I saw was the long line of guys outside the speed dating room. As I got my number tag, I also had to sign a waiver for TLC who would be filming the session for Geek Love. I had a couple of costumes lined up for that weekend and was dressed up like Triana from Venture Bros. that day (If I end up being on tv, look for the scared looking Latina Triana.)

I got on the ladies' line and then they had us all go in at once. There were about 30 pairs of chairs facing each other. Girls sit like lazy good for nothings. Guys had to go around the room in a zig zag as they shifted to the next seat every two minutes. I guess the atmosphere was what you would expect at this sort of thing. A mix of socially awkward people and weirdos really, really, really into stuff (me). We got a 4 page score card to keep track of our dates and note which people we liked. Here are some memborable ones:

2 - The Captain. He was nice and really mousy. It was a good warm-up because got to talk about comic books. He later turned into wtf creepy dude when I ran into him elsewhere later that day and he asked to take a photo because he liked my costume. He doesn't watch Venture Bros.

5 - Phantom of the Opera. This one was mainly into fantasy novels and we talked about Game of Thrones. He was probably the most awkward to talk to because it was really obvious how nervous he was, but mostly because a mask was covering half his face.

8 - The Dirty Brony. Probably the star of the show. He was definitely unshowered and hadn't brushed his long, thinning hair in weeks. He was wearing a Transformers t-shirt and stained sweatpants. He also identified himself as a brony and we explained to me why My Little Pony rules. I had a hard time looking at him in the face because he had a lazy eye and I wasn't sure which one to look at.

17 - Dark Knight Latin Lover Dude. This guy was really into Batman and got excited when I told him I was into Batman, as well. He kept leaning close and trying these Latin lover tricks. It got a little uncomfortable.

7 - Tween Homestuck. This "guy" was either really 14 years old or actually a woman. There was something definitely off about this person, but we were able to talk about stuff. S/he was dressed for some web comic I never read, so I mostly just asked questions about it.

14 - Dethklok Metal Dude. He was the only one who recognized my Triana costume, so that was cool. He was also the only one I talked about music, which was also a plus.

20 - Jimmy Olsen. Cameras were in my face during this date because TLC were focusing on him for the show. He was very good looking and obviously into Superman. We mostly talked about our tattoos, but didn't really have much to talk about other than that.

19 -Skyrim/Batman. I'm really into the new Conan that Brian Wood is writing, so my first reaction was that this guy was dressed at Conan because it's a little similar (he wasn't wearing the helmet). It was pretty easy talking to this one.

Everyone else I talked to were gamers and so there wasn't much to talk about since I don't really play video games. After about 2 hours of single nerd overload, we had to go to opposite sides of the room and leave our real names and contact info on the sheets belonging to the dates we liked. The men did the same. At the end, you collect your sheet and see if you got a perfect match. I got about 14 different numbers. There were a few perfect matches, but I ended up staying with Skyrim/Batman. He seemed like he had other interests besides all the nerd stuff and that was the balance I was looking. We've been on one date since and texted a couple of times, but I just wasn't feeling it afterwards. I was definitely wrong about the balance when I learned that he is actually a sort of professional cosplay/booth babe. The guy is super muscular and enters competitions wearing a bunch of spandex. It was also like pulling teeth trying to make conversation during our date. Oh well. I probably should have gone with Dethklok guy. He was cuddle fat and I probably wouldn't have to be around him in spandex.

I didn't have any expectations and had a good time. I thought about doing another session the next day, but it takes up a huge chunk of time and there was loads I wanted to see. If any of you single nerds end up at a sci/fi/comic convention and they're there, I recommend it. They're very organized and super friendly.
\m/Johnny\m/
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Re: Sci Fi Speed Dating

Post by \m/Johnny\m/ »

That was one of the more depressing things I've read here.
elephants gerald wrote:
- GLENN DANZIG "literally a rotating cast of gigantic wigged infants," claims former tour manager
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

Always look at the bridge of the nose for lazy eyes.
ghost boner wrote:our cousins should fuck
Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

BOUT TIME.

Actually read. I'm disappointed that King Hippo wasn't in the speed dating running but I want to meet the dirty brony.
Chad wrote:Idget child might be the worst poster here though...
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

haha awesome thread, thanks for posting it. I feel like I've gotten less socially awkward as I age and reading these things always makes me cringe but also cheer for them to get their shit together and stay a nerd but not be a fucking loser.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
\m/Johnny\m/
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by \m/Johnny\m/ »

\m/Johnny\m/ wrote:That was one of the more depressing things I've read here.
Seriously. It was like watching a fat guy masturbate into a cup, and throw it into the trash.
elephants gerald wrote:
- GLENN DANZIG "literally a rotating cast of gigantic wigged infants," claims former tour manager
the awesome Assassin
Sweet Lord _______

Post by the awesome Assassin »

electronicham wrote:I wish there were pictures to go along with Jen's story
I don't... I've seen too much horror.
jen said destroy
Don't mess with my shit.

riley-o wrote:haha awesome thread, thanks for posting it. I feel like I've gotten less socially awkward as I age and reading these things always makes me cringe but also cheer for them to get their shit together and stay a nerd but not be a fucking loser.
Thanks. I definitely have no problems striking up conversation with people and I was mostly there to just meet some like-minded dudes. It was a good balance between people who can speak comfortably and classic dark room dwellers.
jen said destroy
Don't mess with my shit.

Me too, but they made us put our phones away. :nopizza:
jen said destroy
Don't mess with my shit.

I FB stalked Skyrim guy:

I wouldn't know how to find the other guys because they only gave me first names and numbers (not sharing that).
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

\m/Johnny\m/ wrote:
\m/Johnny\m/ wrote:That was one of the more depressing things I've read here.
Seriously. It was like watching a fat guy masturbate into a cup, and throw it into the trash.
you're nearing another timeout it seems.
Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

Does he have stumpy arms or is this some sort of photographic voodoo?

Or am I just being a dick?
Chad wrote:Idget child might be the worst poster here though...
jen said destroy
Don't mess with my shit.

He was cosplaying as Latino Lumpy Space Princess.
the awesome Assassin
Sweet Lord _______

Post by the awesome Assassin »

jen said destroy wrote:

Me too, but they made us put our phones away. :nopizza:
Next time use a camera...
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

WHAT ABOUT THE ELIGIBLE JEWISH DOCTOR??
Gunther
Forum Administrator

Post by Gunther »

i hope the dirty brony makes it to tv.
Black Jacques wrote:Gordon Lightfoot looks like he was freubds with ghengus John.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

ahaha that report is perfect! you're totally going to get laid ... or maybe not, if Skyrim guy was the main lead

what did the brony have to say in defense of MLP? the thinning hair and lazy eye fit a caricature that I knew was true but pretended couldn't exist

and isn't liking Dethklok a lot sort of worse than not liking music at all?
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

Will post in here when sober.
ThePhillyExperiment
ultimate EVIL

Post by ThePhillyExperiment »

jen said destroy wrote: 8 - The Dirty Brony. Probably the star of the show. He was definitely unshowered and hadn't brushed his long, thinning hair in weeks. He was wearing a Transformers t-shirt and stained sweatpants. He also identified himself as a brony and we explained to me why My Little Pony rules. I had a hard time looking at him in the face because he had a lazy eye and I wasn't sure which one to look at.
This is a very insightful and inspirational dialog on this subject.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48353
brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

so not one kunt got stuffed and there are no stories about suckin a juicy prick.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
thread fuckin sucks
Last edited by soiled depends on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

worsethanuseless
skinjob

Post by worsethanuseless »

riley-o wrote:haha awesome thread, thanks for posting it.
Is this an ongoing activity? Would read again.
"iq tests should be mandatory for registering for this board." -Thurber
Nerve Altar
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO wrote:Will post in here when sober.
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

B- thread but would read again
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

Sci Fi Speed Dating

Zerohero wrote:shooting cum on that hot chick that is my altar.
doubleblumpkin wrote:Guess who's riding a pig through the jungle 8)
father of lies
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by father of lies »

ahaha fucking My Little Pony
fvkk