Black holes might be intelligent

Music posts are a bannable offense.
badgevvrecker
I know you are but what am I?

Re: Black holes might be intelligent

Post by badgevvrecker »

F. Murray Sandyclam wrote:Yes, by all means...let's turn the entire galaxy into one giant trailer park.

Human beings are a cursed species and don't deserve to leave this shithole planet.

other places dont deserve to be without us.
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

F. Murray Sandyclam wrote:Yes, by all means...let's turn the entire galaxy into one giant trailer park.

Human beings are a cursed species and don't deserve to leave this shithole planet.
...defeatist Calvinist attitude.

The useless chaff can be left behind in front of their televisions when the true Homo sapiens leaves a trail of flaming footprints up into the stars.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
“We sit on the verge of a transformative time. Never have we lived longer, eaten better, worked less, or possessed more things. We are more advanced than any species that has ever walked this Earth. And now, with our truly Promethean urge unleashed, we stand on the precipice of scientific marvels that will catapult us into the next millenium.
Despite all this, evidence suggests that most of you have never been more pessimistic about our future. You fear tomorrow. “One Billion: the Optimum Population of humanity” is the narrow vision of a dying man. Preserve everything… do whatever it takes to hang on a little longer. Its the speech of a coward.
The future of man is not one billion of us fighting over limited resources on a soon-to-be-dead planet, but one trillion humans spanning an entire galaxy. The future of man is not here… it is out there.
Because it is our new horizon, it is what’s next… There is a fire called discovery burning within me; and I won’t go back in the cave for anyone.”

-Reed Richards, Fantastic Four #579
Zerohero wrote:shooting cum on that hot chick that is my altar.
doubleblumpkin wrote:Guess who's riding a pig through the jungle 8)
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

:wank:

uphill battles in space
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
MeatGrease
[citation needed]

Post by MeatGrease »

F. Murray Sandyclam wrote:
Blair wrote:Calvinist
Hahaha...did you just learn this word in school today or something? ;)
???
Warning: this post may contain plagiarized text or language, some which may be above the poster's reading level.
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

I do remember high school Umesh....
Edit: plus, there's no way I would choose to take a class regarding such a topic.
Last edited by Blair on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Arsonist
Throbbing Black Werebeast

Post by The Arsonist »

Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

:invcross: :invcross: :invcross: :invcross: :invcross: :invcross: :invcross: :invcross: :invcross:
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

Image Certified Poster
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

Thanks for posting that!
:tup2: :pizza:

Also:
Student Internship/Co-Op

PRI’s vision is to mine near-Earth asteroids for raw materials, ranging from water to precious metals through the rapid development of innovative and cost-effective exploration technologies. Resource extraction from asteroids will deliver multiple benefits to humanity and grow to be valued at tens of billions of dollars annually. The effort will tap into the high concentration of precious materials found on asteroids and will provide a foundation for further space exploration and a sustainable supply of raw materials to the ever-growing population on Earth. It may sound like science fiction, but it’s just science!

Planetary Resources, Inc (PRI), The Asteroid Mining Company, is seeking qualified and enthusiastic candidates for paid cooperative education positions to assist in the development of new systems and technologies for the commercial robotic exploration of near Earth asteroids in our Bellevue, WA location. Applicants should have an interest in space systems design and application and should expect a hands-on, intense and dynamic work environment.
PRI is currently reviewing candidates for a start of employment in January, 2013.

Qualified candidates should possess the following characteristics:

Current academic enrollment as Junior or Senior in one of the following disciplines:
- Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, or Computer Systems Engineering
- Engineering Physics, Engineering Mechanics
- Computer Science
GPA of 3.2 or higher
Previous work experience, research, and and/or student team project involvement related to your field of study
Excellent demonstrated technical communication and teaming skills (provide examples)
Ability to commit to a January – August 2013 work period. DO NOT APPLY if you are only available during the summer time frame, we may have a posting for "summer only" in the future.

Applicants must be eligible for employment within the United States of America.

Planetary Resources is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.

PRI provides a unique and intimate work environment where you can make an immediate impact on product development and the fulfillment of primary company objectives. Join us in changing the way we explore the solar system
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

The Scale of the Universe 2

http://htwins.net/scale2/
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

Real talk, poseurs:

http://phys.org/news/2012-11-quantum-ar ... metry.html

Time's quantum arrow has a preferred direction: BaBar experiment confirms time asymmetry
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
(Phys.org)—Time marches relentlessly forward for you and me; watch a movie in reverse, and you'll quickly see something is amiss. But from the point of view of a single, isolated particle, the passage of time looks the same in either direction. For instance, a movie of two particles scattering off of each other would look just as sensible in reverse – a concept known as time reversal symmetry.

Now the BaBar experiment at the Department of Energy's (DOE) SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory has made the first direct observation of a long-theorized exception to this rule.

Digging through nearly 10 years of data from billions of particle collisions, researchers found that certain particle types change into one another much more often in one way than they do in the other, a violation of time reversal symmetry and confirmation that some subatomic processes have a preferred direction of time.

Reported this week in the journal Physical Review Letters, the results are impressively robust, with a 1 in 10 tredecillion (1043) or 14-sigma level of certainty – far more than needed to declare a discovery.

"It was exciting to design an experimental analysis that enabled us to observe, directly and unambiguously, the asymmetrical nature of time," said BaBar collaborator Fernando Martínez-Vidal, associate professor at the University of Valencia and member of the Instituto de Fisica Corpuscular (IFIC), who led the investigation. "This is a sophisticated analysis, the kind of experimental work that can only be done when an experiment is mature."

BaBar, which collected data at SLAC from 1999 to 2008, was designed to tease out subtle differences in the behavior of matter and antimatter that might help account for the preponderance of matter in the universe. It produced almost 500 million pairs of particles called B mesons and their antimatter counterparts B-bar mesons for study. BaBar scientists found that B mesons and B-bar mesons do, indeed, behave differently in ways that violate so-called CP symmetry, which incorporates the symmetries of charge (positive versus negative) and parity (which can be thought of as left-handedness versus right-handedness). This discovery of CP violation contributed to the 2008 Nobel Prize in Physics.

CP symmetry is linked with time reversal symmetry through the CPT (charge-parity-time) Theorem, which states that the three symmetries must remain in balance for any given particle system. If one of the symmetries is out of whack, at least one of the others must be, too.

So the BaBar data, with its evidence of CP symmetry violation already in hand, was a good place to look for violation of time reversal symmetry that would serve to balance CPT as a whole.

BaBar's new time violation analysis was based on a concept proposed in 1999. Researchers examined a chain of particle transformations in which B mesons flipped between two different states called B-zero and B-even. Taking advantage of the quantum entanglement of the B mesons, which enables information about the first decaying particle to be used to determine the state of its partner at the time of the decay, they were able to find that these transformations happened six times more often in one direction than the other.

"This is a fresh way to understand data we had already used to measure CP violation," said BaBar physics coordinator Abner Soffer, associate professor at Tel Aviv University. "By looking at it slightly differently we were able to undeniably see time violation as well. What's nice is that the effect was there the whole time, but nobody had thought about it the right way before."

Time violation had previously been seen in particles called neutral kaons by the CPLEAR experiment at CERN, but that measurement was not direct because of the inability to distinguish T violation from CP violation, and the interpretation of those results drew some criticism. It's hard to set up laboratory conditions that can see time reversal violation, Martínez-Vidal explained. But BaBar provided just the right conditions for a clear, direct measurement.

"In the past, a true test of time reversal symmetry with unstable particles was considered to be impossible," said BaBar associate José Bernabéu, a professor at the University of Valencia and IFIC, and one of the originators of the analysis concept. "It's spectacular that the solution came from the same entanglement phenomenon used for quantum communication and computing."

Michael Roney, BaBar spokesperson and professor at the University of Victoria in Canada, said "BaBar's data has been extremely fruitful and continues to produce important results, such as this unique and unambiguous test of quantum field theory. As we continue to work on almost 100 measurements from BaBar that investigate the fundamental nature of time and matter, we're gratified to have further validated this underlying theory."

More information: J. P. Lees et al. (BaBar collaboration), Physical Review Letters, Volume 109, Issue 21 (2012). prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v109/i21/e211801
ATTN: Smegma - "CP Violation"
Chad wrote:Idget child might be the worst poster here though...
caldwell.the.great
San Dimas High school football rules!

Post by caldwell.the.great »

I'm going to re-read that in the morning. And then I'm going to search for a Carl Sagan-esque explanation.
Necrometer wrote:fucking scientists
"you can't eat a sandwich with a clenched fist."
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
http://laughtrack.wordpress.com
Jerrod
git help.

Post by Jerrod »

Sagan is my homie.
soiled depends
I'm always posting. At all times.

Post by soiled depends »

Nice to see an interesting and thoughtful news report followed up by some weak ass dumbfuck tattoo pic.
does your employer know that you are a cold hearted animal murderer in addition to being an insatiable pervert?-meatgrease
only a fundamentally insecure asshole would relish in the death of domesticated cats-chad

Jerrod
git help.

Post by Jerrod »

soiled depends wrote:Nice to see an interesting and thoughtful news report followed up by some weak ass dumbfuck tattoo pic.
You wouldn't have complained if I had posted pictures of food.
Gay for Cock
Olde Timer

Post by Gay for Cock »

Because SD is fat! bwhahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahah hahahaha oh....
"It is the maze that dreams. And I am lost."
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

:invcross:
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

fallbacktostone wrote:

:invcross:
doubleblumpkin
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by doubleblumpkin »

caldwell.the.great wrote:I'm going to re-read that in the morning. And then I'm going to search for a Carl Sagan-esque explanation.
Click on the link

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Dad wrote:Pizza nigga
caldwell.the.great
San Dimas High school football rules!

Post by caldwell.the.great »

this sort of fits here

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/0 ... 04666.html
Absolute Zero? Scientists Push Atoms Colder, To Record-Setting 'Negative Temperature' Realm

To comprehend the negative temperatures scientists have now devised, one might think of temperature as existing on a scale that is actually a loop, not linear. Positive temperatures make up one part of the loop, while negative temperatures make up the other part. When temperatures go either below zero or above infinity on the positive region of this scale, they end up in negative territory. [What's That? Your Basic Physics Questions Answered]

With positive temperatures, atoms more likely occupy low-energy states than high-energy states, a pattern known as Boltzmann distribution in physics. When an object is heated, its atoms can reach higher energy levels.

At absolute zero, atoms would occupy the lowest energy state. At an infinite temperature, atoms would occupy all energy states. Negative temperatures then are the opposite of positive temperatures — atoms more likely occupy high-energy states than low-energy states.

"The inverted Boltzmann distribution is the hallmark of negative absolute temperature, and this is what we have achieved," said researcher Ulrich Schneider, a physicist at the University of Munich in Germany. "Yet the gas is not colder than zero kelvin, but hotter. It is even hotter than at any positive temperature — the temperature scale simply does not end at infinity, but jumps to negative values instead."

As one might expect, objects with negative temperatures behave in very odd ways. For instance, energy typically flows from objects with a higher positive temperature to ones with a lower positive temperature — that is, hotter objects heat up cooler objects, and colder objects cool down hotter ones, until they reach a common temperature. However, energy will always flow from objects with negative temperature to ones with positive temperatures. In this sense, objects with negative temperatures are always hotter than ones with positive temperatures.
Necrometer wrote:fucking scientists
"you can't eat a sandwich with a clenched fist."
"I wish it was programmed to feel pain....I'd like to teach Watson a lesson in street knowledge....."
http://laughtrack.wordpress.com
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50434185/ns ... PEPIWfVorh
Astronomers have discovered the largest known structure in the universe, a clump of active galactic cores that stretches 4 billion light-years from end to end.

The structure is a large quasar group (LQG), a collection of extremely luminous galactic nuclei powered by supermassive central black holes. This particular group is so large that it challenges modern cosmological theory, researchers said.

"While it is difficult to fathom the scale of this LQG, we can say quite definitely it is the largest structure ever seen in the entire universe," lead author Roger Clowes, of the University of Central Lancashire in England, said in a statement. "This is hugely exciting, not least because it runs counter to our current understanding of the scale of the universe."

Quasars are the brightest objects in the universe. For decades, astronomers have known that they tend to assemble in huge groups, some of which are more than 600 million light-years wide.

But the record-breaking quasar group, which Clowes and his team spotted in data gathered by the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, is on another scale altogether. The newfound LQC is composed of 73 quasars and spans about 1.6 billion light-years in most directions, though it is 4 billion light-years across at its widest point.

To put that mind-boggling size into perspective, the disk of the Milky Way galaxy — home of Earth's solar system — is about 100,000 light-years wide. And the Milky Way is separated from its nearest galactic neighbor, Andromeda, by about 2.5 million light-years.

The newly discovered LQC is so enormous, in fact, that theory predicts it shouldn't exist, researchers said. The quasar group appears to violate a widely accepted assumption known as the cosmological principle, which holds that the universe is essentially homogeneous when viewed at a sufficiently large scale.
Advertise | AdChoices

Calculations suggest that structures larger than about 1.2 billion light-years should not exist, researchers said.

"Our team has been looking at similar cases which add further weight to this challenge, and we will be continuing to investigate these fascinating phenomena," Clowes said.

The new study was published Friday in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

so what's this about?

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/We_ha ... 6_999.html

I hope I'm alive to see them attempt to stop it
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

Death is inevitable, even for the universe:

Subatomic calculations indicate finite lifespan for universe

by Irene Klotz

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/ ... RR20130218
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Scientists are still sorting out the details of last year's discovery of the Higgs boson particle, but add up the numbers and it's not looking good for the future of the universe, scientists said Monday.

"If you use all the physics that we know now and you do what you think is a straightforward calculation, it's bad news," Joseph Lykken, a theoretical physicist with the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Illinois, told reporters.

Lykeen spoke before presenting his research at the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Boston.

"It may be that the universe we live in is inherently unstable and at some point billions of years from now it's all going to get wiped out," said Lykken, who is also on the science team at Europe's Large Hadron Collider, or LHC, the world's largest and highest-energy particle accelerator.

Physicists last year announced they had discovered what appears to be a long-sought subatomic particle called the Higgs boson, which is believed to give matter its mass.

Work to study the Higgs' related particles, necessary for confirmation, is ongoing.

If confirmed, the discovery would help resolve a key puzzle about how the universe came into existence some 13.7 billion years ago - and perhaps how it will end.

"This calculation tells you that many tens of billions of years from now, there'll be a catastrophe," Lykken said.

"A little bubble of what you might think of as an ‘alternative' universe will appear somewhere and then it will expand out and destroy us," Lykken said, adding that the event will unfold at the speed of light.

Scientists had grappled with the idea of the universe's long-term stability before the Higgs discovery, but stepped up calculations once its mass began settling in at around 126 billion electron volts - a critical number it turns out for figuring out the fate of the universe.

The calculation requires knowing the mass of the Higgs to within one percent, as well as the precise mass of other related subatomic particles.

"You change any of these parameters to the Standard Model (of particle physics) by a tiny bit and you get a different end of the universe," Lyyken said.

Earth will likely be long gone before any Higgs boson particles set off an apocalyptic assault on the universe. Physicists expect the sun to burn out in 4.5 billion years or so, and expand, likely engulfing Earth in the process.
Maybe something more promising will show up on arXiv.
Chad wrote:Idget child might be the worst poster here though...