The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by riley-o »

like i give a fuck

HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
DR. THRAXX
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DR. THRAXX »

U buy that Riley?

Those are nicely made sticks. I hate American sticks and buttons, but those are really solid.
$$$$$ RaP GaME WiLL RaHMeR $$$$$
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

seeing that "run" button brings back so many bad memories

i suck at fighters
CoconutBackwards1
One Of Many Accounts

Post by CoconutBackwards1 »

guardianoftheblind wrote:hey man i'm one of the biggest dumbasses the board has ever seen, i just get sick of people always being dicks.
:tup:

Serious problem with that on this board.
The only question that I thought was hard was do I like Kirk, or do I like Picard?
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

fuck both of you xasthur fans
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

Spooky Apparition wrote:
Friendly Goatus wrote:Yeah I'm thinking about picking it up next week. Either Sleeping Dogs or Darksiders 2. Hard choice... both look excellent.

i'm in the middle of a similar dilemma.

well... actually the exact same dilemma. haven't bought a game since WaterBuffalo's dogma in may (which is fucking awesome btw) and probably won't buy another until dishonored and i need SOMETHING to distract myself/give me an excuse to drink in the dark for dozens of hours

sleeping dogs seems like it might be a little too GTA-ish for me, but i never played darksiders 1 and don't want to stumble into 2 like an ignorant dickhead, you know? tough call

wang, which one do you like more so far?

please don't say "both" or "only the PC versions"

don't really get the GTA thing it's basically if Max Payne 3 had Arkham City's fight system

so far I have seen things borrowed from MP, AC, Uncharted, GTA. Most similarities in that order as well.

Beautiful game, great voice acting, super violent. Just what I wanted.

There are a few glaring problems with the mechanics and some frustrating camera controls but none of that is so bad that it takes away from the experience.

From someone who has played Darksiders and read all the shit that II does bad, I'd highly recommend Sleeping Dogs
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

I need steam friends.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

8)
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Spooky Apparition wrote:sleeping dogs seems like it might be a little too GTA-ish for me, but i never played darksiders 1 and don't want to stumble into 2 like an ignorant dickhead, you know? tough call

wang, which one do you like more so far?

please don't say "both" or "only the PC versions"
I do have to say, the studio did an excellent job with the PC version. :awesome:

Haven't played Darksiders II yet because I'm slowly making my way through the first one (I hope there's no shooting in the sequel because it really sucks in the first one). What The Bill said, too.

As for Sleeping Dogs, it is GTA-ish but if you threw in Arkham Asylum styled combat. Hong Kong is a much fresher setting than other sandbox games and it's nice playing a character who actually has good motivations. The cars don't control like GTA IV at all...more of a video game feel to their movement, the story is pretty good so far, action highjacking a car is fun (jumping out of your car onto the roof of another), there's cockfights (!), and the combat is satisfying....lots of moves to unlock and the environmental kills add some variety. It seems to have a lot of content but not so much it'll overstay its welcome. I'm at 7 or 8 hours playtime with less than a third of the story finished. I'm guessing 25 to 30+ hours depending on how much I mess around.

There's no "Hey cousin! Let's go see titties!" annoyances or "I don't want to kill anymore. Let's go rob a bank." stupidity. People only call you if they've got a mission and so far the missions have continually gotten better. It's nice because all the collectibles improve the main character's stats (mainly "Face" which unlocks certain tiers of cars and clothes) or give you cash / items and later on in the game after you level up a bit, every collectible will show up on your map. I never doing racing missions in sandbox games but here they improve your Face level a lot so I actually do them. If you like Hong Kong action movies, you should definitely play it. The shooting tutorial is probably the most clever tutorial I've played in a long time, really well done.

The pre-order bonuses kind of suck and the DLC so far looks forgettable. I got a Swat team mission where you just ride in a car and shoot criminals chasing you. No real transition or dialogue during the chase so it seems kind of half finished. Also got a GSP outfit pack and it seems kind of worthless.

Edit: Oh yeah, there's a button for ramming cars while driving and it's awesome.

Edit 2: And fuck reviews that complain about controls, they just suck at the game. The controls, especially in combat, are pretty fluid and work well. The camera can be a bit wonky but that's just about every game.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

seriously though what happened to travis? is he okay you think?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Since I've beaten a fair amount of games this summer I decided to restock up by getting the PS3 HD versions of the PS2 Ratchet & Clank, and Jakk & Daxter collects as I've never played them but heard they were two of the PS2's best series.
badgevvrecker
I know you are but what am I?

Post by badgevvrecker »

just scored a vic-20 with a bunch of games, in boxes, for helping a friend move. also some 2600 stuff, including boxed copies of the 2 less rare Swordquest games.

Anybody wanna buy all 3 Swordquest games, 2 of which are in their original packaging?
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

sell them to the AVGN
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

fallbacktostone wrote:seriously though what happened to travis? is he okay you think?
The only thing I ever see from him is notifications on steam that he's playing a game. He seems to have abandoned every other Internet thing he used to have
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Here's a fantastic live action Sleeping Dogs fight video. Produced by Square-Enix. Very well done. Better than a lot of fight scenes in modern full length movies. A++++

Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Are you playing it, Goatus?
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

guys I don't mean to alarm you but this looks FUCKING AWESOME

fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

totally agree. i wish i'd played the second one when it was appropriate to do so. i thought the original announce trailer with the villain repeating the meaning of insanity a bunch of times was one of the stronger trailers in a long while.

i probably wont get to play it but if it delivers i'll have missed out on somethign awesome.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Wang Mandu wrote:Are you playing it, Goatus?
not yet, but it looks great
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Far Cry 2 was so close to being a great game. If only they would have fixed the respawning checkpoints, made siding with factions more important, made stealth a viable option and developed the merc buddies more.
Friendly Goatus wrote:not yet, but it looks great
It is. Little things here and there are annoying but overall, it's a great game.
blastocystosis
O.G. Interwebber

Post by blastocystosis »

riley-o wrote:like i give a fuck

Mortal Kombat sticks all day.

The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

:tup:

playstation movie required :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:
delmuerte
The boss of you.

Post by delmuerte »

Playing Sleeping Dogs right now. It's fun, but the controls are definitely shitty. I dunno how many times I've died because I was spinning in circles trying to duck behind a counter or whatever. The story is pretty good, and the racing is great, but the regular fighting controls kinda suck shit. I have a shitload of combos at my disposal, but they work about 40% of the time.

Far Cry 2 was weird, but looking forward to the third installation. I've got a softspot for this game, for sure.

Waiting on Borderlands 2 and Dishonored.
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

I've been converted to the Wang idea that if you think the controls are bad you just suck at the game because I've gotten a good grasp on it now and I'm a total assassin in combat, taking on 12 people at once is super easy and a fucking blast to take out. about 8 hours in and I love it more and more as I progress

Story is awesome. It's hands down the best driving and racing in any open world game. Drifting is done perfectly and the ramming aspect is a really good touch. Still I am having the most fun in combat, the combos are fun to pull off and the environment aspects are always amusing.

I came in rolling my eyes at the release of Sleeping Dogs because I was assuming it was going to be a 3rd rate Yakuza kind of game and I really don't like those games at all, but it has been a nice surprise and I'd say I am enjoying my time with it more than Max Payne and its the best game I've played in over a year that wasn't Dark Souls