The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by Ghost Dad »

Looks like I gotta GRIND for a bit to get the ol' weapons up to snuff before I can kill em. Guess I'll go beat up Lautrec.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Dude, pyromancy. Dude.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Finally killed smough, Half of mega ornstein's health. Who'da thought the crossbow would be useful?

Does anyone know if you can get out of anor londo and back to the firelink shrine without having to go though the bosses first?
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

....knowing that would have saved me a lot of grief...thanks.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

figured there'd be a bit of update talk in here
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Pisscubes wrote:I just watched a japanese kid beat this game in about a half hour.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you're are sissies.
Testers doing speed runs can get fucked.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

i think life would need to put out a grow a set of testicles patch first
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

i'd rather be a premature ejaculator than too scared to have sex at all
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

that's a whole lot of shit-talk from the stands, nancy.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

i've made no secret of my lack of love for demon's souls. i think it's pretty good, but not amazing. i'm not sure what exactly is so different about them but dark souls just clicked with me so much more.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

I loved and finished both and feel like my inner electronic manhood proven, if I was a two pump chump or not, it worked.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I won't really be happy until I have the goddamn Dark Souls platinum too.

That reminds me, does anyone know if jakebonz is still platinuming every version of DkS? He's been curiously absent from this thread.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

seems like when he's online lately he's playing MW3 ? :?

i dunno. i plan to platinum this but i really needed a break from it for a while first. who knows if this is going to be one of those impossible to plat due to online requirements games in a few months though
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

riley-o wrote: who knows if this is going to be one of those impossible to plat due to online requirements games in a few months though
You can get the Souvenirs of Reprisal offline, it just means you need at least five playthroughs for that one miracle, which is kind of ridiculous. Plus without online, you have to jack up your faith to some completely ridiculous number to be allowed to join the sunlight covenant. But iirc there isn't anything that absolutely can't be done without the online.

Plus there were still plenty of people playing Demon's Souls long after it came out. I actually finished another playthrough the day before DkS came out, and you couldn't take five steps without being summoned after putting down a blue sign. I'm not too worried.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

i was pretty sure you had to get to a certain level in one of the covenants to get one of the spells, and the only way to get past the first level was to kill people online. i don't really remember the details so i'm fine if i'm wrong but let's not forget killing people online is absolutely impossible
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Not that I'm aware of, and I just double checked again. You need 10 Souvenirs of Reprisal to level up in Blade of the Darkmoon, and one way to get those is by invading, but you also get one everytime you go after Lautrec, and if you play it right (which I haven't so far), you can also get a pendant from Rhea of Thorolund and then trade it for another SoR with the crow.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

riley-o wrote: but let's not forget killing people online is absolutely impossible
Oh, it's possible. And It's absolutely infuriating.

Is there any benefit to forging a chaos blade aside from killing "good" NPCs?
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

just got to the boss in anor londo. fat fuck and rapist over here..

i barely even got a chance to feel them out.

:wank:
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

:lol:

a friend of mine just emailed me a couple of days ago asking me to come over and beat them for him

he's on xbox so i told him to go fuck himself

fired up demon's souls tonight, going to beat it just so it stops staring at me
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

i had this coming too because i absolutely tooled sens fortress and all of anor lando in like a day without even breaking a sweat. sens fortress boss was astonishingly gay and stomped him first try.

wait

except for that first mimic chest in sens fortress that made me quit for a while.

now this though. i feel like i'm in another fucking time zone than these xasthur fans.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Pisscubes wrote:
riley-o wrote:a friend of mine just emailed me a couple of days ago asking me to come over and beat them for him
A failure of a man...
oh yeah dude i dropped like 40 pathetics into his permanent file right there
Last edited by riley-o on Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Time for my weekly confession that I've never beaten Ornstein and Smough without help. I honestly don't understand how this bossfight is even possible unless you're just completely OP.

I think I finally have the motivation to go back and platinum this thing now. Went back and did Sif and the Demon Firesage (who for some reason gave me all kinds of trouble the first time) without dying. Then decided to go down to the Tomb of the Giants and got slaughtered so horribly that I ragequit. I don't even understand why. I think I just still get careless and impatient sometimes and the game mercilessly punishes me for it.

Also, tentative final verdict on Demon's Souls vs Dark Souls - all things considered, I think I like the two games about equally. Dark Souls has far more variety in its creatures, environments and bosses and manages to apply the same cryptic narrative style to far more side plots and NPCs and actually make all of that more interesting. On the other hand, due to its size, it also loses some of the consistency of artistic vision that was really what I loved most about Demon's Souls - there's more spells and weapons just for the sake of there being more, creatures pop up in levels where it makes no sense, the same creature can sometimes respawn and sometimes not, and worst of all, bosses are re-used as regular enemies later in the game. Oh, and infinitely respawning mosquitoes? Really?

These would be retarded complaints to raise at pretty much any other game, but in terms of consistency and insanely well thought out construction both of its world and its gameplay and how the two interacted, Demon's Souls set a standard that I do think Dark Souls should be held to, and it doesn't live up to it. It just makes up for it in a lot of other areas, and not just sheer size.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Riley could hire himself out to platinum trophy games for suckas.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

i definitely do not like the implication that i would whore out and sully the majesty of the platinum trophy here
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Implications aside, you COULD, not would, but COULD do it - Merry xmas ya platinum bugger you.