The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
chimcham
Soul of the Martyr

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by chimcham »

just beat dark souls yesterday. compared to demon's souls I think it is much easier but the level design is better. i pretty much tanked gwyn (i was at level 92, havels armor, +5 black knigh sword) whereas i finally gave up and had to do the arrow trick with old king allant. the only boss i really had trouble with was the stray demon but i came back about 20 levels later and smoked him. i did summon someone to take on ornstein or smough, but i had gotten pretty close to beating them on my first try. good game. i give the edge to dark souls just because the level design is so awesome. don't know if i'm up for NG+ right away...
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Pisscubes wrote:
riley-o wrote:i definitely do not like the implication that i would whore out and sully the majesty of the platinum trophy here
, Riley.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

chimcham wrote:don't know if i'm up for NG+ right away...
That's another thing that bugs me about it. I don't know what it is, but the compulsion to go right back in and play through it all again just wasn't nearly as strong as with Demon's Souls. I think part of it is just because I was already drawing up checklists for what I had to do for the platinum, and that sucked some of the fun out of it. But it's also because a lot of the game's appeal is in the exploration, and once you've seen everything, well, that's kinda gone.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

i accidentally got sucked into this painting in anor londo, i haven't lit the bonfire yet and i'm wondering if i just kill myself can i get out? i didn't mean to end up here and i was just running from all the shit on the way to dickbag and fuckface just to see how long it takes..
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

I believe you still start at the beginning of the painted world even if no bonfire is lit

you'll just have to commit the hour or so it takes to get through it, if you know where you are going you could probably get out in 10 minutes and then go back whenever you want but I'm guessing you don't so just enjoy it because the painted world looks rad
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

Some decent stuff in there and the boss isn't bad.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Painted World bossfight spoiler/hint to get out quickly:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
When she asks you not to fight her, you can actually decide not to and get out. So if you just want to bail for now, that's what I would do. You can always go back later and kill her.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

So did anyone else have trouble with their save file before the final boss FREEZING THE FUCKING CONSOLE? Because that's what happened to me. Oh well, I'm completely shitting on this game as a sorcerer now.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Ghost Dad wrote:completely shitting on this game as a sorcerer now.
Really? Postyerbuild, dude. People are kind of going around saying sorcery's been neutered to the point of uselessness, especially compared to pyromancy. I'd be interested to see what you've come up with.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

As of right now: level 61.
vitality-17
Attunement-19
end-15
str-12
Dex-13
res-12
int-38
faith- 14
Equiptment- sorcerers catalyst, +5 fire spear, spider shield, +5 magic composite bow
+2 crimson. robe and waistcloth, mask of the sealer and wanderer manchette. Ring of steel and bellowing dragoncrest ring.
Edit- +10 pyromancy occasionally
Magic- soul arrow, great and heavy great, soul spear, and fire orb.

Most of the enemies have been taking crazy damage from the soul arrows and the fire spear. As long as you stay moving and parry (which I'm pretty decent at), this class rips.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Mine's at 40 int right now, I should probably try some of these spells again and see what happens.

Speaking of which, I wonder if there's stat capping again in this one. I didn't get a higher damage bonus anymore on my Magic weapon going from 40 to 41 int, so I'm guessing it's somewhere around that. The pyromancy punch still got an increased bonus, though.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

finally beat this. i'm glad one of the patches made it impossible to parry gwyn, otherwise he might have been a little too easy. dark wood grain ring helped out a ton and made retreating to heal no problem at all. i also seemed to be able to avoid some of his attacks while rolling even if they clearly hit me.

took me 103 hours overall, level 72. that includes a ton of farming and upgrading though. i think at this point i just need slabs to max the remaining four or five weapon types, and then make sure i do some NPC questlines correct in order to get some other rare stuff. i'm considering not buying any other games until i platinum this (unless NG+ is way harder than i'm expecting, in which case i'll punk out).

but christ what a bad ending. i know the game has a minimalistic story, etc., blah blah blah, but the opening cinema was great. i guess there were no more demons to show at the end, but come on... come on.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

ffffffffffffffffffffff

"Japanese developer From Software is prepping DLC for its critically acclaimed RPG Dark Souls. That's according to EGM, which says it could be released in the first quarter of 2012.

It points out that From Software trademarked 'Yami no Mori' last year, which translates to 'Forest of Darkness'. Sounds like the kind of place that would fit perfectly into the Dark Souls universe."
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Finally, I am able to play this game. Chose the Thief because that Master Ring sounds handy but the starting weapon is balls. Might try out the Warrior or some other tank. I kind of want to stay nimble and quick instead of plodding around. The Pyromancer is a good starting class?

I already died in what I'm assuming is the Prologue. My skills are so rusty. :lol:
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

:tup:

I was wondering if there's a class like the Royal in Demon's Souls, one that has a clear advantage in starting abilities. I'll mess around with a few more classes before I pick one and continue with the game. That starting knife with the Thief has no reach at all. Kind of sucks.

Dark Souls' music is so good.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

TAKE THE MASTER KEY NOT THE STUPID RING
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

riley-o wrote:MASTER KEY
I'm floored every time somebody complains about not taking it.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Tied for The Witcher 2 as my belated game of the year for 2011.

One thing I love about these games is suffering through some bullshit (The Depths and getting cursed) and then stepping into the area before fighting the Gaping Dragon. The only sounds are your footsteps, it's dark but you can see this great wide open space in the distance, and you know you'll be fighting a gigantic monster in that wide open space. :moreawesome: Gaming doesn't get better than that.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

when i die i want you guys to know that i felt really connected to you because of our shared experiences in this thread with this game :rhug: :lhug:
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

riley-o wrote:when i die i want you guys to know that i felt really connected to you because of our shared experiences in this thread with this game :rhug: :lhug:
:awesome:

The 'Souls experience: this is it.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

After some time reflecting on both games (neither of which I've beaten yet) I think I'd have to say Dark Souls is more dear to me than Skyrim. I really need to start playing again and finally beat it after I finish Mass Effect 3.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Took the ring for my tank build, in order to get into that witch covenant. Regretting not having that god damned key already.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

i'm sure no one but me cares, but this guy's videos are cool as shit:

pieces together the narrative implied by all the spell/weapon descriptions, dialogue in dark souls. sometimes speculative, sometimes deductive, but pretty interesting

but i mostly posted this because i'm about to jump back in. this game is transcendent
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

did anyone else figure out the havel/seath connection when playing the game? it makes sense now, but it never occurred to me before
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Awwwww yeah. Time to sell off my PS3 copy. So glad I didn't come close to finishing the game.