(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by The Schwartz »

Hahahaha awesome man
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Back in 7th grade I knew a guy who said he knew a guy who made it all the way to the Godzilla bossfight in Revenge of Shinobi before he figured out he could double jump.

This is what I'm reminded of here.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

warrior or knight, I almost prefer a battle axe to a sword myself though
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

use them pretty much only to summon phantoms to help you beat bosses other than that they really don't do much

except for titanite farming, when you are human they drop more regularly
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

this is really bugging me so I'll just say as soon as you get a hold of what you are trying to do you should stop reading the walkthrough until you are stuck to the point where you absolutely need it
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

yeah i absolutely agree with that. walkthroughs are for when you're already in the problem and can't figure it out, not to know everything in advance.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

the other thing you do with humanity is use it at a bonfire to "kindle" it, which will give you five more estus flasks for each kindling when you rest at that bonfire

kindling the main bonfires a couple times is a very good idea
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

ok man but if i hear so much as one comment about the game's difficulty being overhyped or how this is easier than you expected i swear to christ and all the holiness of the linked bonfires
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Just make sure you don't read walkthroughs so far in advance that it ruins the exploration for you. If there's one thing that Dark Souls does miles better than the first game, it's the way the world is constructed and the sense of discovery that comes from that. If you just read walkthroughs that tell you where to go and in what order to get what equipment, you completely take away that strength of the game.

Of course that also means you never know if there's a giant monster around the next corner that's going to squash you like a bug, and I guess that can be frustrating when it happens, but still. At least the first time you go somewhere, don't spoil it for yourself.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote: Mostly what I'm using them for is to know where the fuck to go-- the best order of the worlds to tackle.
Well, do what you like, but that's kinda exactly what I meant you shouldn't do. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but if you basically have a list of what to do when, everything becomes a chore, and rather than having fun and exploring the game's awesome world, you're working your way through a to-do list. I know you don't need me to sit here and tell you whether you're having fun or not, I just think you're missing out if you don't at least try to go in blind at first. And it has nothing to do with increased penis size stemming from refusal to use walkthroughs, I just think it's more fun that way, mostly because it'll scare your pants off half the time.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Pisscubes wrote:
Anyone else go on a suicide run for the crimson armor right at the beginning? Seems like a good idea...
YES. I did this for my first character, and ended up using that armor for the entire game. I'd recommend doing this for astora's straight sword and the shield next to it in the valley of the drakes.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Geoff, did you beat Witcher 2 already?
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Pisscubes wrote:I'm taking off a couple weeks from movie makin' and not doing jack shit after work but relaxing and playing video games.
fuck yeah. :pizza: :beer: :beer: :beer: :pizza: :rhug: :lhug:
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

so where are you at right now approximately? have you gotten to the capra demon yet? that was my first truly :x :x :x dark souls moment

going to be eating some fried chicken and playing (demon's) souls tonight as well 8)
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Spooky Apparition wrote:
Ghost Dad wrote:My save file became corrupted at the bonfire right before Gywn. Why on earth should I put the effort into trying to finish this game again?
that blows :? did you quit directly to the dashboard/xmb (which i guess can cause that) or did it just corrupt for no apparent reason?

but if you do restart, you'll be surprised at how much easier stuff is, especially if you just level up vitality and strength and overpower most of the enemies
just saw this. Yeah, though I've burnt myself in the past by shutting off the console during auto-saves, this corruption occurred for no reason. You're right though, the game is way easier the 2nd time around. As soon as I got though Sen's, that is.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Well, I can't have Geoff of all people playing this and not me. Not saying I'm getting to it right away, but I'm saying ordered off Amazon.

360 version because I hate you all!
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

Pisscubes wrote:
riley-o wrote:
Pisscubes wrote:I'm taking off a couple weeks from movie makin' and not doing jack shit after work but relaxing and playing video games.
fuck yeah. :pizza: :beer: :beer: :beer: :pizza: :rhug: :lhug:
:lhug:

It's sad how excited I am for this-- like I'm going on vacation or something. Yeah, I said I'd take a little time off after finishing my thesis movie before jumping back into my other movie with both feet. I'm going to be an unproductive piece of shit for a while and it's going to be awesome. Tonight: Fried chicken and Dark Souls.
I'm jealous; since I gassed my last final I've been finding to disappear down the video game rabbit hole, but between work, my band being inexplicably busy this year, and the senior I'm helping out I've had almost no free time.

My Shepard is fucking around listening to space disco in his cabin instead of kicking ass :(

I messaged Riley about a show and he was all "I've got video game commitments"; fucking lucky bastard!
Zerohero wrote:shooting cum on that hot chick that is my altar.
doubleblumpkin wrote:Guess who's riding a pig through the jungle 8)
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

just use the bonfire that's like 5 seconds away from the gwyndolin fight. not a big deal at all
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

if you get past the archers...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
you'll get another bonfire right after that part. like 10 seconds after them. plus eventually you'll open up the big door at the top of the stairs to the cathedral which lets you go from that bonfire by gwyndolin right to O&S
also if you need humanity, put down your white sign and try to get summoned to help someone beat O&S. you'll get 1 humanity whenever you do that
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

it's definitely a tough area to jump back into. i remember getting really close to quitting at the archer part, especially since you have to kill those fucking giant knights every time. there are some vids on youtube that have good tips for beating the archers though, might be worth checking out
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Spooky Apparition wrote:you have to kill those fucking giant knights every time.
you really don't, you can just run right through all those poseurs right to the archer area
The Schwartz
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by The Schwartz »

riley-o wrote:
Spooky Apparition wrote:you have to kill those fucking giant knights every time.
you really don't, you can just run right through all those poseurs right to the archer area
I can confirm you can do this without technically running
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

yeah theres no way i'd fight those giants and white gargoyle dudes every time i had to get through to the archers
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

unless you're a master ninja roller i strongly suggest technically running
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

i will be expanding on this technical running concept in the future, fair warning..