The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by Kurt Russell's Beard »

Depends on genre.

It feels like most FPS these days clock in at around 10 - 13 hours.

Keep in mind that the speed runs of original NES games can be done in 15 - 30 minutes. It just took us forever to memorize the patterns and get to the end.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

Kurt Russell's Beard wrote:Keep in mind that the speed runs of original NES games can be done in 15 - 30 minutes. It just took us forever to memorize the patterns and get to the end.
<- retrogamer prime
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
Kurt Russell's Beard
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Kurt Russell's Beard »

I have so much respect for you super speed run ninjas.
right over there
Hetero as hell...

Post by right over there »

james wrote:you guys finish games incredibly quickly

doesn't that seem strange? Is there any real average playtime for games these days? Depends too heavily on the genre I guess... would a fair aggregate be 40 hours?
yeah, this is what amazes me as well. my least favorite games are console action games - short and way overpriced.

i see these console games that are literally ten hours long for $40. compare that to a game like might and magic vi that was $5 on GOG and took me 200+ hours to beat.

i just don't understand it!!!
monsterod wrote:can it get any hotter or nower?
The Real MPD wrote:i'm not interested in this right now.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i bought xcom in 1994 and played it for almost 18 years.. :tup:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

FVBTVS wrote:i bought xcom in 1994 and played it for almost 18 years.. :tup:
Yeah, DOOM is my version of that statement.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

right over there wrote:yeah, this is what amazes me as well. my least favorite games are console action games - short and way overpriced.

i see these console games that are literally ten hours long for $40. compare that to a game like might and magic vi that was $5 on GOG and took me 200+ hours to beat.

i just don't understand it!!!
It's highly dependent on genre as KRB pointed out. Obviously multiplayer is a huge component of action gaming these days.

I beat Metroid: Other M in about 11 hours and I would absolutely say that it was worth $60, because it was a wonderful experience. Shadow of the Colossus is around that long too and people generally consider that to be one of the best games of all time. Both of those titles are exemplary works of craftsmanship and careful plotting - they could have been longer, but didn't need to be, and so they weren't. Good work defines its own parameters.

Many RPGs are far longer than they need to be - I enjoy completely losing myself in software sometimes, and so it generally doesn't bother me because I set out to experience the game with the intention of exploiting it to the fullest, leaving nothing undone. I think though that the overwhelming majority of them aren't brave enough to be the precise length which would be required to support the story.

I haven't played Might and Magic 6. I'm sure I have it on a disc somewhere. Might have to check that out.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

FVBTVS wrote:i bought xcom in 1994 and played it for almost 18 years.. :tup:
Yeah, I could play X-Com or one of the Disgaea titles for desert island amounts of time. That's standout ozymandias type software though, I expect 99.9% of everything in the world to fall short of that mark without feeling even remotely upset about it.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

games are just like anything else. sometimes $100 for an incredible meal is completely worth it because of the expertise involved in its preparation, and sometimes fast food for $5 is what hits the spot.

when it comes to games, a $2 mobile game might be really enjoyable, but it probably doesn't compare to the level of detail and polish applied to a well-crafted $60 AAA game with voice acting, a budget in the tens of millions, etc. on the other hand, it's also easier to pick up and play for a short period of time and be completely satisfied with what are most likely simple yet addictive gameplay mechanics.

perhaps the one good thing about being a gamer now compared to the days of bulletin boards and shareware versus $70 SNES games is there's a game for every situation and mood, and they're actually good (fuck you blakestone).
right over there
Hetero as hell...

Post by right over there »

Spooky Apparition wrote:games are just like anything else. sometimes $100 for an incredible meal is completely worth it because of the expertise involved in its preparation, and sometimes fast food for $5 is what hits the spot.
in your analogy, the taste of the food is really the only variable - if you're saying you'd pay more for a meal that doesn't taste any better just because it was expertly prepared than again, i don't understand it at all. unless you're impressing a girl you want to fuck, then i'm cool.

obviously what makes a game "expertly prepared" is the amount of enjoyment you can get out of it, and, once again, to me there is no contest between even a transcendentally amazing eleven hour game and one that i enjoy enough to play for hundreds of hours.

and that's my only point; i can't imagine how good a game would have to be for me to think eleven hours of anything is worth $60.

but that's because we're in the age of GOG.com providing five or six gigantic games for the same price. i paid $45 for gabriel knight ii when it came out and that was well worth the price...
monsterod wrote:can it get any hotter or nower?
The Real MPD wrote:i'm not interested in this right now.
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

Anyone here into the Monster Hunter series? The new one for Wii U looks pretty damn cool. I'm just worried I might not be willing to sink 9,000 hours into the game.
ImageImageImage
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I was just going to play for 15 minutes, but ended up sinking over an hour into Serious Sam: Second Encounter HD. When that game is on, it's almost like a SNES game and it's awesome. When it's off, it feels like same old same old from the first game. As an added bonus, I've forgotten most things about it, including the new weapons and enemies. So, I'm sort of playing it for the first time in an Alzheimer's kind of way.
The Bill wrote:MOH: Warfighter has what it takes to out awful Aliens: Colonial Marines?
Kurt Russell's Beard wrote: It's bad but not that bad.
Comrade Slinky wrote:don't no stop
FVBTVS wrote::betternotstartanyshit:
Friday's challenge accepted. I'm going to fight a war.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

Very excited for this:

Loved Bastion.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

:fonz:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Wang Mandu wrote:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
PSHAW!!! Like RE6 is even close to licking Aliens: Colonial Marines toes. Now, if you said you bought Splatter House.

guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

I heard this game was a wreck but this is hilarious.
ghost boner wrote:our cousins should fuck
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Anyone Steam bros want Resident Evil 5 (which looks and runs great on PC)? PM me if interested and will send it your way.

Just saw Bioshock: Infinite's budget is $200 million. 100 for development and another 100 for marketing. Good lawd that game will be lucky to break even.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Wang Mandu wrote:Just saw Bioshock: Infinite's budget is $200 million. 100 for development and another 100 for marketing.
da fuk?? no wonder they're going apeshit with all the promotional offers for pre-order. game better fucking be amazing.
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

a world of no wrote:
Wang Mandu wrote:Just saw Bioshock: Infinite's budget is $200 million. 100 for development and another 100 for marketing.
da fuk?? no wonder they're going apeshit with all the promotional offers for pre-order. game better fucking be amazing.
I'm sure those figures are bullshit. No way they're allocating to the marketing budget ~3.5million copies of the game. If so, they still have to sell double that to break even. I call shenanigans.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Developers, like Rockstar, have bragged in the past that games make more than films at the box office, so why not fund games like Hollywood does? 2K Games is doing just that by throwing nearly $200 million at BioShock Infinite, according to The New York Times which cited unnamed analysts. Not since Grand Theft Auto IV -- allegedly $100M and produced by 2K's owners Take-Two -- has so much money been thrown at a project

Around $100M was spent on Infinite's production and as much as another $100 will be spent on marketing. Remember when we were all gobsmacked that Gears of War cost $10 million? While game budgets have gone up, BioShock Infinite is pushing to the top of the list of most expensive productions. Shenmue ($94M in today's economy) says hi!
Could be bullshit but they're pushing the PC version hard like streven said...$42 per copy sold via Steam isn't anything to sneeze at. The original one sold over a million copies on PC alone and that's with GFWL and being a relatively shitty port. Also, they have a much bigger console install base now than in 2007-2008. Coming out at a good time, too. Add on that $20 Season Pass that weaklings like I and Comrade Slinky already purchased and they just might make a profit. I'm rooting for the game.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

milkmandan wrote:Anyone here into the Monster Hunter series? The new one for Wii U looks pretty damn cool. I'm just worried I might not be willing to sink 9,000 hours into the game.
I believe Zombiehead was way into Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii before he sold out and started hanging out with girls. I started playing it but probably gave it about 20 minutes before moving on to something else. They're supposed to be great games - absolutely ferociously frighteningly popular in Japan.

I think there's a bit of a Dragon Quest/Pokemon issue with this franchise here in the West, where it's not as fun to experience because nobody else around you is really likely to be very invested in it. For what it's worth, MH Tri is free to play in the US - no monthly subscriptions or whatever. It even let me run my pirated copy of the ISO without any issues hahah.
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

Wang Mandu wrote:
Developers, like Rockstar, have bragged in the past that games make more than films at the box office, so why not fund games like Hollywood does? 2K Games is doing just that by throwing nearly $200 million at BioShock Infinite, according to The New York Times which cited unnamed analysts. Not since Grand Theft Auto IV -- allegedly $100M and produced by 2K's owners Take-Two -- has so much money been thrown at a project

Around $100M was spent on Infinite's production and as much as another $100 will be spent on marketing. Remember when we were all gobsmacked that Gears of War cost $10 million? While game budgets have gone up, BioShock Infinite is pushing to the top of the list of most expensive productions. Shenmue ($94M in today's economy) says hi!
Could be bullshit but they're pushing the PC version hard like streven said...$42 per copy sold via Steam isn't anything to sneeze at. The original one sold over a million copies on PC alone and that's with GFWL and being a relatively shitty port. Also, they have a much bigger console install base now than in 2007-2008. Coming out at a good time, too. Add on that $20 Season Pass that weaklings like I and Comrade Slinky already purchased and they just might make a profit. I'm rooting for the game.

Oh I want this game to make hand over fist because I love the series. I just think these numbers are bullshit, at best embellished by insiders to create more hype for the game (which it doesn't even need).

I mean I see it advertised on the sides of buses but I was that for New Vegas. I just don't see it being advertised more than usual. I've yet to see a tv ad.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

:rhug:

Guys like Ken Levine are great for the industry. IGN posted their review and it is 9.4 consoles / 9.5 PC
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I've seen a bunch of teevee ads for Bioshock Infinite.
Wang Mandu wrote:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
You're fucking dead to me.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES