The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Krieg
from the moon

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by Krieg »

Damn it, with and this Bioshock talking I am now regretting not playing Bioshock 2, and I bought it at almost full price just to put it aside, what a Jofa I am. Should I play the second one first or should I be a spacehamster and just jump to the brand new one? Decisions ...
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

does 2 have anything much to do with 3? i couldn't get more than an hour or so into it. just felt wrong for some reason. definitely getting 3 though when i have the time to actually get sucked into a game and play it non-stop.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

riley-o wrote:
Wang Mandu wrote:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
You're fucking dead to me.
I told you guys I needed help. The Left 4 Dead crossover and splitscreen co-op was too much to resist.

Infinite has been in development for like 5~6 years. Full teams like that cost money so I could see how the budget could get that bloated. They also scrapped the multiplayer and that is money down the drain right there.

It is a standalone game and story afaik, streven.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Pisscubes wrote:It's nice down here in RE6, Wang.

It's very nice.

We all float down here in RE6 and when you're here... YOU'LL FLOAT TOO!!!!
I think the added camera options, better shadows and framerate, and much, much higher resolution will make the game worth it for me. After playing Metal Gear Rising, I am kind of looking forward to how awful and stupidly ridiculous the story is going to be. Hopefully, if this sells well Capcom will port Dragon's Dogma to PC and I almost feel obligated to support a late port with a day 1 price of $40, free DLC season pass, and a free game to give away. If it launched at $60, I probably would have scoffed.

Of course, this just could be the shame talking. At least it isn't MOH: Warfighter.
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

Krieg wrote:Damn it, with and this Bioshock talking I am now regretting not playing Bioshock 2, and I bought it at almost full price just to put it aside, what a Jofa I am. Should I play the second one first or should I be a spacehamster and just jump to the brand new one? Decisions ...
There wasn't much story continuity with part 2 apart from the setting. I can't imagine it's in anyway linked to the new one. It felt more like a really big DLC episode of GTA: a new character and story, but in the same place.
ghost boner wrote:our cousins should fuck
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Don't think of it as Bioshock 2. Think of it as Tall Tales from Rapture: A Bioshock Story. With this change the game itself improves and you don't have to worry about Infinite nor it tainting original Bioshock.
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

I still remember downloading the Bioshock demo when I got bored with Halo 3. My initial thought was"why the fuck am I going into this chair? Is this demo seriously just me sitting down and watching what this game will be? What is...hooooooly shiiiiiiit :drooly: :drooly: :drooly: "
ghost boner wrote:our cousins should fuck
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

:what:

riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I always thought it was "tales of daring," not "tales of derring" :|
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Means the exact same thing, but derring is more swashbuckling.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Finished Tomb Raider today. 12 hours at 70% completion. It's really kind of strange to me how the most common complaint about the game, if anyone had any, is that it's "not clear what the core mechanic is." I like the fact that you're never doing the same thing for particularly long, and everything works. The puzzles are good, the combat is tight, the climbing is fun and actually has a sense of danger despite being just as linear as in the Uncharted games.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I was about ready to start howling when the samurai zombies showed up, and a few of the longer shooter sections in the second half had me worried the game would deteriorate into a cover shooter, but...
...it actually sticks to its guns all the way through, with puzzles and climbing sections until the end. Story's okay too, except for what I mentioned in the spoiler. They really have created a good videogame character here. Hope they don't fuck it up with the next one.

8/10
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

does TR have a clock/timer that i'm missing, or at the end or something? i'm curious how long i've played. i'm like 50% complete, so i figured i'm getting fairly close to the end since i haven't done a ton of exploring/collecting stuff. i saw some people complaining they beat the game in like 6 hours, which seems nuts to me
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Spooky Apparition wrote:does TR have a clock/timer that i'm missing, or at the end or something?
No, I'm going by the Steam timer. I don't think there's anything in-game, at least not in the PC version. I did a fair bit of looking around and all of the tombs I could find, so I'm sure it can be finished in much less than 12 hours, but I don't see why you would. Exploration's fun in this game.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

yeah, i really like the exploration and don't get why anyone would just rush from point A to point B in this game. whenever i get to a new area, i like the sort of overwhelming feeling of knowing there are so many places to go and look around. that's something i thought they captured well from the earlier TR games, even if there aren't as many puzzles in this one.

also, there have been a couple of souls-esque moments where i've been impressed at how the big hubs are connected to different parts of the island or where you can see spots where you were much earlier in the game, etc. really solid level design overall... there's a real sense of place.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Spooky Apparition wrote: also, there have been a couple of souls-esque moments where i've been impressed at how the big hubs are connected to different parts of the island or where you can see spots where you were much earlier in the game, etc. really solid level design overall... there's a real sense of place.
Yeah, it's well done, but honestly, the fact that it's all in the same location is one of the aspects I'm not too crazy about. It got a bit samey after a while. That, and the music's kinda crappy.

In other news, I wanted to play the new GoW game, and now my PS3 needs to download a system update first. Fucking Sony. This better be different with the next Playstation.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

The Bill wrote::what:

Hell yeah! I loved the original game when I was a kid. Such a classic, fun platformer.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

code veronica was the game that made me not play any games for about 4 years

well, maybe it wasn't THE game that did it, but i remember being so incredibly let down by every aspect of RE:CV when it was released on the dreamcast that it discouraged me from playing anything for a long time. remember the ridiculous enemies with huge arms? the even worse-than-usual camera angles? i even hate the memory of that game :?
Broken Into Pieces
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Broken Into Pieces »

Code Veronica is the one Resident Evil game I've played that I just couldn't get into at all. I bailed on it at a pretty fucking early stage.
Image Image
Xbox 360: Pabo Byungshin
¡Viva los Rudos!
oskorei noise industries
right over there
Hetero as hell...

Post by right over there »

just finished planescape: torment for the first time.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
i loved the game -one of the most original game worlds and story progression i've encountered.

my favorite thing about the game was gaining experience through dialog. being rewarded for following the story closely and talking to everyone about everything isn't something i've seen in other rpgs.

another thing i liked a lot was how there was basically zero non-story related combat. that was sort of a double-edged sword though, because i made it all the way to fighting trias with almost no combat skills and it felt sort of weird having a "boss" battle all of a sudden.

there were a few things i didn't like about the game. my biggest complaint is that your journal is updated based on when you receive information rather than arranging new discoveries by subject - it would have been so rewarding to finish the game with a (relatively) cohesive and complete story of who you were and what happened to you. as it was, there was sometimes ten plus hours of game time between learning new things about my story, and that made it a lot harder to piece together. i actually had to look it up on wiki because i'd forgotten how certain elements tied together.

the only other problem i had was the ending of the game. i respect the designers for not holding my hand and spoon-feeding me the answers to the game's mysteries, but i think they went too far in the other direction. there really wasn't any new information gained in the fortress of regrets - if you think about it, you really gain the most important information before you even enter. that made the final stage of the game a big disappointment compared to, say, visiting the sensory stones and gaining a huge amount of insight into who you were.

overall, i'd give it about a 90%. i'm already thinking about playing it again to see what i missed the first time.

next up in the rpg category is either icewind dale or might and magic vii...
monsterod wrote:can it get any hotter or nower?
The Real MPD wrote:i'm not interested in this right now.
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

sorry to keep the RE6 talk going, but i borrowed it from a friend

someone quickly summarize why it's so maligned?
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

right over there wrote:just finished planescape: torment for the first time.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inx ... ref=search

Kickstart the next one! Glad you liked it as it is one of my all time favorites. I need to play it again soon because I am slightly less retarded now than I was when I played it.

Gotb, the demo was truly awful and some complaints like camera issues and qtes have been patched out?
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

ok, so let's say those issues have been dealt with, is the game still a 3 or 4, like it was getting?
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

wait, why am i reading several reviews (from sites i trust) that are giving RE6 fairly good to great reviews?

you guys need to explain yourselves
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

guardianoftheblind wrote: you guys need to explain yourselves
My impression of the demo:

1) Leon part: plays ok, has an actual "horror" feel to it, but graphics look like five years ago.
2) Chris part: nearly unplayable. No idea what's going on 80% of the time. Better graphics than Leon part, though.
3) other part (I forget who): slightly less unplayable than Chris part, but still mostly just screaming and frustration at not knowing what's going on.

Basically, it seemed like three unfinished games of which two needed at least another half a year of work on the controls and playtesting to maybe deserve being called a semi-passable 3rd person shooter. I had fun for maybe 30 seconds because that one chick looked sorta sexy in that slutty librarian outfit.

In somewhat news, I'm about an hour into GoW Ascension and thoroughly unimpressed so far. I've lost count of the number of times the camera is so far away from everything that I have no idea what's going on and just mash buttons until it looks like everyone's dead. I also really hate how you can't dodge-cancel out of attacks anymore. Some of the other new stuff they've done with the weapons and controls is good, but that really pisses me off.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

i plan to get re6 when i have the time. love the series. no fucks.