The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

riley-o wrote:Totally buying it on PS3 (or PS4 if things go the way they sometimes go). I've suffered long enough
DON'T. I cannot repeat this enough DO NOT PLAY DIABLO 3. If you loved D2 this game is an unrepentant beating of everything you loved of the series and plain common sense. I have almost 800 hours on it (probably a lot from just leaving the game on tbqh probably more like 300 or so). It's such a disappointment after you play through the fun combat yet atrocious awful fucking story once. It's taken them almost a year to unfuck the game to the point of "eh.". And everything they did to make the game better was blatantly stolen from D2 and a total reversal of what they said they didn't want to do.
ghost boner wrote:our cousins should fuck
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

nevermind that the entire appeal to games like that for me are

- loot drops
- doing crazy/interesting things with skill trees

and D3 fucked up both of those things. the loot system in that game is like playing a slot machine that costs $1 to play but always pays out $1.01. there's no joy of winning big, of getting an item that makes you super overpowered for a few levels before you're scrambling again to find something good. you're never at risk of ever having the odds tipped a little too far in your favor. there's no fun to the loot. and the auction house only exasperated the whole thing

the skill trees were super boring. titan quest ruined my life for a few months because of the depth of the skill trees you could explore. D3 presents you with a fireball. oh, now two fireballs. oh hey, an area of effect fireball.

the combat was fun but how people derived enjoyment after 1-2 playthroughs is baffling to me
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

copstache wrote:retronauts is so good though, and the mackie/barnholt/parrish combo is a home run. shit. i'm probably going to throw $50 their way. they've given me half a decade of happiness

edit: it's actually been 7 years :shock:
Oh, I'm a huge fan! I have almost every episode saved on my external. Honestly the one thing that genuinely bothered me about 1up closing was Retronauts going out - the rest of the site had pretty much faded as far as I was concerned. I'm very glad it won't be dying anytime soon!
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

copstache wrote:nevermind that the entire appeal to games like that for me are

- loot drops
- doing crazy/interesting things with skill trees

and D3 fucked up both of those things. the loot system in that game is like playing a slot machine that costs $1 to play but always pays out $1.01. there's no joy of winning big, of getting an item that makes you super overpowered for a few levels before you're scrambling again to find something good. you're never at risk of ever having the odds tipped a little too far in your favor. there's no fun to the loot. and the auction house only exasperated the whole thing

the skill trees were super boring. titan quest ruined my life for a few months because of the depth of the skill trees you could explore. D3 presents you with a fireball. oh, now two fireballs. oh hey, an area of effect fireball.

the combat was fun but how people derived enjoyment after 1-2 playthroughs is baffling to me
Not to mention the only mechanism Blizzard has implemented to fix the broken skill system has been to increase the damage of underutilized skills. They know the skills and runes are fucked and have no way to fix it. Yet, there are only 2-3 viable builds for any class at the moment. There's no point in using other more interesting builds because no skills synergize and the entire game and its itemization is built around getting the highest stats possible.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

EXACTLY. in titan quest you actually picked two classes and could build your skills from a combination of all those trees combined. you could do some absolutely absurd synergies and it was incredible.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Wolfey
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by Wolfey »

It's like no one knows there's a better game you can play, and it doesn't cost you a fucking thing.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

wolfey if you try to get me to play Mafia Wars one more fucking time I swear...
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

pc fucks only
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

path of fucking exile for goddamn motherfucking shits sake.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

copstache wrote:getting an item that makes you super overpowered for a few levels before you're scrambling again to find something good
OH FUCK that's EXACTLY it

:mastoman: :mastoman: :mastoman: :mastoman: :mastoman: :mastoman: :mastoman: :mastoman: :mastoman: :mastoman:
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

Yeah...that never happens except from buying in the auction house :(
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

a world of no wrote:path of fucking exile for goddamn motherfucking shits sake.
yep

never played D3 but it sounds like Path of Exile is what D3 should have been. Of course it's not as pretty without all those blizzard bux behind it, but who cares. game rules
BroMan
Hetero as hell...

Post by BroMan »

TheDOAD wrote:
spacehamster wrote:Did anyone actually finish Hitman Absolution? I started it up again today and it's finally fun again. And man, is this game pretty.

you just reminded me that i bought this. Maybe this will be my next game after Bioshock. But i also feel like i could use a change of pace from shooting things
Yup I beat it. Some levels are a little too easy to get silent assassin on while others screw you up because of the lame ass blend meter. If only they let you shut that off after beating the game! That and add more contracts to it. After beating it and playing random missions people have made it gets stale. I'd like some new scenery, even an old school map done up with the new engine. After spending $90 on it I'm getting pissed at their lack of DLC.
PSN- BroMan43
BroMan
Hetero as hell...

Post by BroMan »

Damn it, posted twice
Last edited by BroMan on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN- BroMan43
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

MANTIS wrote:have any of you played antichamber?
Briefly. Hated it.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Finally went back and beat Castlevania: Dracula X after years of shame since it ruined me as a kid. Fuck you, Dracula.

james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

I was so disappointed when I finally played Rondo of Blood. Years and years of legend-whispers. Maybe it was just because it kicked my ass so bad... I just didn't have the interest to push through it. I've only briefly played the SNES version... maybe I should give that a shot.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

I've never played Rondo of Blood, but I had fun with this version. Pretty tough but after you memorize flight paths and attack patterns, it's doable. Thinking about going back and playing 1 and 3 on the NES. Fuck Simons Quest... I'm not touching that.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Friendly Goatus wrote: Fuck Simons Quest... I'm not touching that.
What a terrible night to have a curse, indeed. Simon's Quest was the first game to invade my mind when I wasn't playing it. Fucker would give me insomnia as it ran around like a rickshaw in my head. Then, I'd have stupid ass dreams about it. Thanks to Nintendo Power I was never stuck, and thanks to my age it never seemed horrible. I tried it again years later on an emulator. OH BOY! :nopizza:
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i think i could sit and let my mind wander just thinking about simons quest forever :fp:
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

I traded away Mega Man III for that fucking game.
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

Someone give me a tl;dr about Simon's Quest. I played it for like an hour when I was a kid. Is it a bad?
Zap Rowsdower
COOTIES

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

I only owned Castlevania 1 and 3.

Part 3 8)

The music :ax:
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Zap Rowsdower wrote:The music :ax:
This was one of the deadly traps for me as a kid. Simon's Quest's music is top notch at least, and was a constant reminder that I MUST be playing a great game, despite what I saw unfold. Eyes and Ears at war for the mechanical soul of the brain.
abdominalpillaging
I hate your life.

Post by abdominalpillaging »

Knew it was coming, but LucasArts basically shut down, Star Wars 1313 cancelled as well as that FPS they were developing, and pretty significant layoffs. End of an era.
i like to dissect women