Nerdly Board Games?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Re: Nerdly Board Games?

Post by Geeheeb »

JENNY BARNES: ELDER SIGN POWERHOUSE

Just play alone as her for easy mode
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
danox3
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post by danox3 »

I see there is a iPad app for the game. Anyone try that?

I earned $10 off credit at the local nerd store, so I am getting the Reaper expansion for Talisman.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

elder sign on a tablet fucking rules too

play it all the time

jeny barnes supremecy
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

just started a collection of board game and card games. i'm throwing a nerd party in a few days

Raw Ting
ultimate EVIL

Post by Raw Ting »

been playing the settlers of catan seafarers expansion. it adds some good elements to the original game play, and the games are a bit quicker.
Assplay!!!
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by Assplay!!! »

Never liked Settlers.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Assplay!!! wrote:
Geeheeb wrote:played mansions of madness as the keeper tonight. great game.
I've had varying degrees of fun with this game. I dig it overall.

My only question is... doesn't it get old with the on rails narrative? Like there are a limited amount of scenarios to play though, are those fun more than once or twice? Or do you have to keep getting expansions?
The Call of the Wild expansion is supposed to sort of kind of fix this problem with "non-linear" exploration. By all accounts it really takes the game to a new level.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

danox3 wrote:I see there is a iPad app for the game. Anyone try that?

I earned $10 off credit at the local nerd store, so I am getting the Reaper expansion for Talisman.
The app is excellent, but misses a lot that the actual board game offers. That said, I play the app more than I do the physical version... I've had the new expansion for ages but have yet to try it due to a massive backlog of other shit that I haven't gotten to the table. It's definitely worth the $5 though, and make sure you get the "expansions" for new GOO. Cthulhu, Ithaqua, and Dark Pharaoh are fucking brutal. Talisman is fucking monopoly/munchkin in comparison.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Just got into netrunner, awkward to start, and playing by trying ti kill the other player is easier than winning by playing the objectives, but still fun.

playing CRIBBAGE, too.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Difficulty depends, but tagging and bagging the runner is definitely easier than trying to score agendas all day. More fun as well.

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

:mastoman: cheap to play too! I'm done pushing agendas. Its for suckers.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

I've been seriously considering getting into Netrunner lately. There's a game shop just right around the corner and they do Netrunner and a few other games weekend nights. Seems fun and it could be a good introduction into table top gaming in general.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Netrunner is highly recommended. LCG games are relatively cheap compared to CCG like Magic, but keep in mind that the format is somewhat limited. For Netrunner it's 2-player, but makes up for it with it being asymmetrical. Runners are completely different playstyle than the Corp, which I find fucking awesome. There's a new draft version of the game coming out (or maybe it's already out?) that seems sort of interesting, but then drafting card games never really interested me. I'm down for deckbuilding, and with your MtG history I think you'd find this game pretty fucking awesome. I'm up through the first expansion cycle and the options provided are great so far, especially for Corp players. The new cycle really seems to flesh out the Runner tableau, but I have little to no experience with it yet. The balance overall is better than any other LCG that FFG has put out to date, and it's far more accessible than any of their other stuff.

You might also enjoy the Lord of the Rings LCG. I play solo primarily, which is its strong point for me. The theme and artwork is fucking awesome. Captures the LotR feel better than any other game, and you don't need much beyond the base set to have a fuckload of fun. And it's fucking difficult. Big plus.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Ghost Dad wrote::mastoman: cheap to play too! I'm done pushing agendas. Its for suckers.
This is limited dependent upon the Runner's ability to adapt, but going iceless and setting up traps like Snare is always a fun mindfuck. Just lay out a bunch of remote servers filled with "fuck you in your face" asset traps and watch the frustration build. When I play corp though I like to lay out nasty ICE to make the runner blow through their resources trying to build up enough credits to bypass everything just to find a nice nasty trap waiting for them. Jinteki supremacy!
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Fucking tablet typing

Any corp deckbuilding tips? Do I need a certain amount of agendas? I just want credit building engines and trap assets (the only way I'm winning)....
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

a world of no wrote:Netrunner is highly recommended. LCG games are relatively cheap compared to CCG like Magic, but keep in mind that the format is somewhat limited. For Netrunner it's 2-player, but makes up for it with it being asymmetrical. Runners are completely different playstyle than the Corp, which I find fucking awesome. There's a new draft version of the game coming out (or maybe it's already out?) that seems sort of interesting, but then drafting card games never really interested me. I'm down for deckbuilding, and with your MtG history I think you'd find this game pretty fucking awesome. I'm up through the first expansion cycle and the options provided are great so far, especially for Corp players. The new cycle really seems to flesh out the Runner tableau, but I have little to no experience with it yet. The balance overall is better than any other LCG that FFG has put out to date, and it's far more accessible than any of their other stuff.

You might also enjoy the Lord of the Rings LCG. I play solo primarily, which is its strong point for me. The theme and artwork is fucking awesome. Captures the LotR feel better than any other game, and you don't need much beyond the base set to have a fuckload of fun. And it's fucking difficult. Big plus.
Excellent :tup:

I wonder, can Netrunner be played online, kind of like how MTG (not the offical online game) and various D&D roleplaying games can?
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Ghost Dad wrote:Fucking tablet typing

Any corp deckbuilding tips? Do I need a certain amount of agendas? I just want credit building engines and trap assets (the only way I'm winning)....
Project Junebug, Aggressive Secretary for advanceable traps. Ghost branch, Snare, Fetal AI, Bernice Mai, Hokusai Grid, and Edge of the World for general awesome traps. SEA Source and Scorched Earth to destroy the fuck the runner retarded dead, with Neural EMP and Psychographics for damage and tags. Honestly though, I don't like messing around with tagging the runner too much.

I'll dig out my decks later and give you a rundown if you're interested. I typically play Jinteki though, with few tag abilities. Mid-heavy ICE, with a mix of trap assets, credit producing assets (Melange Mining), and agendas like Private Sercurity Forces for points and direct damage. Heavy ICE on R&D and HQ as a feint, then semi-open remotes with Snare and Project Junebug (best direct damage assets here). Operations like Hedge Fund and Beanstalk Royalties for those sweet credits to rez those ICE and advance those Junebugs.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Friendly Goatus wrote:
a world of no wrote:Netrunner is highly recommended. LCG games are relatively cheap compared to CCG like Magic, but keep in mind that the format is somewhat limited. For Netrunner it's 2-player, but makes up for it with it being asymmetrical. Runners are completely different playstyle than the Corp, which I find fucking awesome. There's a new draft version of the game coming out (or maybe it's already out?) that seems sort of interesting, but then drafting card games never really interested me. I'm down for deckbuilding, and with your MtG history I think you'd find this game pretty fucking awesome. I'm up through the first expansion cycle and the options provided are great so far, especially for Corp players. The new cycle really seems to flesh out the Runner tableau, but I have little to no experience with it yet. The balance overall is better than any other LCG that FFG has put out to date, and it's far more accessible than any of their other stuff.

Excellent :tup:

I wonder, can Netrunner be played online, kind of like how MTG (not the offical online game) and various D&D roleplaying games can?
Yes it can! Check out OCTGN. Easy to set up, and censored cards for every expansion are readily available. To get them uncensored (they just blur the text of the cards) it's not that difficult. The UI can be a bit fiddly at first, but once you get the hang of it it's not that bad. You do need to know the game though, as it doesn't really handhold you. It's just a digital version of the card game, so knowing the turn sequences, and what you can or cannot do is necessary. It does automate some stuff though. I haven't played it in a long while though, so it may have been improved. Best thing about OCTGN though is that it supports pretty much every card game ever, including MtG, and every LCG that FFG has released. Netrunner tournaments happen often.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB0I-vaYnCc<

Also, it's free. Build your decks and save them. Play whenever. There's always players online.
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Awesome. Gonna try this out after reading/watching some tutorials on netrunner. Thanks man :invcross:
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Huhhhh...so I gotta buy a bunch of new expansions now to get the most out of this game? Damn you wizards of the coast and your addictive money pits!
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Dude... expansions are only like $10 online. Worth the investment for the awesome. For one month's worth of friday night magic (or one week depending on how hooked you are) you can have an entire up to date fucking playset. While all expansions give you a full set of 3 for each card, the base set is fucking lacking, so if you want to be competitive and play tournaments you need at least double or triple copies of that stupid fucking box to get a full playset of important shit like Desperado. Fuck that though... that's for completist assholes. Get the base set and research to get the sets you need. If you play corp though you'll want the first expansion cycle. You don't really need to mess with Creation and Control, as it's more runner cards, with emphasis on the Shaper faction.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Idget Child
Big McLargeHuge

Post by Idget Child »

The gaming store that I have been visiting has a weekly Netrunner league. I got the core set when it came out and I have only played it twice since then, so I'm pretty excited about this, even though I should probably get at least a data pack to give myself some more options.
Chad wrote:Idget child might be the worst poster here though...
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Yeah I'm not looking forward to the total ass blasting I'm gonna get starting out in local tourneys. Then again, its either take my lumps in this game or start dumping money into magic again.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

netrunner is still relatively new, but it's by far the most popular lcg, gets a lot of play pretty much everywhere, and is very well balanced. it's going to be around for a long while i think, so long as wizards of the coast doesn't want to pull the rights and start raping the fuck out of it in their own format. they already failed at it commercially, though the original ccg was fucking good. it just couldn't compete with magic at the time. now really is the best time to get into it.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

thanks to some productive trades and amazon credit my collection has well overgrown my game shelf cabinet. I'm going to have to start vertically storing (shudder) to make room, or books on the bookshelf are going to need storing elsewhere.