The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by Ghost Dad »

Ur doing it right
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

:lol: :tup: :tup: :cheers:
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Pisscubes wrote:I used the dragon in the bridge exploit to get 20k the easy way, got my key-thingy and started farming the forest. Apparently now it's trendy for people to jump into your game and kick your ass in that particular section of the game now. Assholes.

EDIT: HA MOTHERFUCKER!!!!! INVADE MY FUCKING GAME? ENJOY YOUR DEATH SANDWICH WITH A SIDE OF FUCK YOU AND WHEN YOU GET TO HELL TELL 'EM PISSCUBES SENT YOU!!
The forest is hacker gankland. Don't go there human, or you will be invaded. You've probably seen that gesture I mentioned more times than you'd care to.

There's a trick where you can run up the length of the forest from the bonfire and head towards the bridge to aggro the 4 guardians. Avoid their attacks by not stopping and haul ass back to the stairs up to the bonfire. Run to the right of the stairs into the corner next to it right on the edge of the cliff. The stupid AI makes the guardians run up the stairs and jump off of it towards you where they'll 9/10 times fall off the cliff and racket you a fuckload of souls. Sit at the bonfire to reset the guardians and repeat.

You can youtube it probably for best path and method. It's cheap, but early on it's the fastest way to grind by far.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Dusty's super-secret grind spot:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaJ5dWJPNlo<
Pisscubes wrote:[I finally belong in this thread...
Well let's not get motherfucking ridiculous here.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Ghost Dad wrote: level your helmet and armor first
Have to disagree and say upgrading your weapon is just as crucial as leveling up your stats. I only level armor if I have excess souls to blow.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Did you level up Strength or Dexterity more? Find a weapon with a move set you like and one that scales with either Str or Dex (shoot for at least a C grade weapon but B and above is ideal). Shards are cheap and you can quickly get a weapon up to +5 which will help with the Bell Gargoyles. If you chose Dex to upgrade over Str, go back to the original skeleton merchant, buy everything crucial (keys, bottomless box, lightning resins, etc.) and kill him for his...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
uchigatana.
Edit: I hope you're playing in Human form, don't be a wimp. :P
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Did you find the blacksmith yet? Go there, buy 9-10 titanite shards and upgrade that katana to +5. It also does bleed damage after a few consecutive hits on some enemies so that makes it >>>>>>>>>>>>> the drake sword.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

If you need help for the gargoyles turn human and summon Solaire near the white fog door in the church. He's a beast for that fight. Or, you can summon a real player.

Did you get 3-4 consecutive hits on the Gargoyle? It should do bleed damage and take off a bunch of health. A solid 100% damage reducing shield is a little more important than great armor at this point. For me, not getting hit or caught in tight spots and staying quick and fast rollings >>> whatever armor I'm wearing. As long as you can block one or two hits from the gargoyles without depleting your stamina, you should be able to defeat them. Once they breathe fire, get the hell out of the way. That fight is a little tough at first because not only are there two gargoyles, you also have to mind your surroundings and not fall off the side of the roof, :lol:. Study their attack patterns, too! It helps tremendously if you can remember their tells and the beginning animations for when you need to dodge or if you have a small window to get a slash in.

Another thing, if you're nimble enough on the controller, is to block the initial hit or two then quickly switch to two-handing your weapon, get a few hits in and then switch back to your shield.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Do you have the DLC? You need that and it is worth every penny. Best DLC this past generation by far and some of the best boss fights in the game.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Pisscubes wrote:Didn't even know it HAD DLC. Should I just wait until (if) I finish the game?
The DLC is for the later part of the game and for higher level characters...like 60+ depending on your skill level. You have to complete certain major story points and acquire certain items. Get it but don't worry about playing it until you've completed much more of the game. Highly, highly recommended!

The catacombs....I don't really want to tell you this but then again it's easily searchable.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
only go there if you have a divine weapon or are confident enough in your abilities to withstand some respawning skeletons until you can kill the Necromancer that respawns them at certain points throughout the areas.
Bows go in your right hand slot and arrows can be equipped on the equipment screen in the middle. One is for arrows, one is for bolts. You can equip two kinds of arrows and switch between them, with a bow equipped, by pressing R2/RT.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

:lol: that's one NPC who should always be killed. you might already know why...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
he kills the firekeeper girl and you can't use the firelink shrine bonfire for a long time
nice job with the kick, dude can be a pain in the ass in a real fight because his weapon basically ignores shields. the ring you get from him is awesome too, it gives a big boost to health, stamina and equip burden.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Shame you killed him because there is a cool event for revenge later.

Go through Blighttown at least once. The level design during the descent is amazing. It's the framerate that causes the most headaches.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Wang Mandu wrote: Bows go in your right hand slot and arrows can be equipped on the equipment screen in the middle. One is for arrows, one is for bolts. You can equip two kinds of arrows and switch between them, with a bow equipped, by pressing R2/RT.
I equip in my left with a shield switchout or whatever, but then I primarily used them for sniping, so no hurty.

I started playing again after a 3 month hiatus (thanks to pisscubes and this thread), and I'm using a strength/dex nude with the aggression mod. Some funny fucking shit happens with that damn thing. I think I'm Ng+ with this build, but I'm considering cranking up to NG+7 without leveling and see what fun I can get into with the aggression mod. And being gravelorded.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

This is long and drunk rambling, but I hope it's informative for those of you awesome enough to partake of the Aggression mod available for PC.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I went ahead and defeated the Taurus demon with my lvl 120 strength/dex build on NG+2 to build up to NG+7 (I had left him alone to pvp twinks in the Burg). I guess I had already beaten Queelag and the gargoyles because the fortress was already open (I haven't played this character in forever), so I beat the golem with the help of Tarkus and moved on to Anor Londo. Up to this point I wasn't having too much trouble in the burg or in Sen's Fortress with the mod, but as soon as I got into Anor Londo I got my fucking ass handed to me.

Within minutes of landing 3 sentinels came up the fucking stairs and wailed the fucking hell out of me. Spawned back in Sen's and went back, hauled ass down the stairs to avoid them blocking me up again, and like a dumbshit I went down to the fucking bonfire. Across the way two more Sentinels and a fucking Mimic were coming. These three followed me down to the bonfire, which I was unable to use due to their presence, and I only barely escaped back up to the area at the top of the stairs. Best part? Lady of Darkling, like many NPCs, starts to follow me after getting aggro'd by the fucking mimic an sentinels in my escape. While I'm fighting the three of them off she gets fucking killed, which means I no longer have use of that fucking bonfire. Not the worst part though...

I make my way to the great staircase after fending off suicide painted guardians and retarded gargoyles that won't leave me alone. Like a fucking dumbshit I don't think to lower the staircase and use the bonfire near Darksun Gwyndolin. Instead I decide to go for the fucking bonfire up int eh goddamn fortress, with the fucking sentinels and demons coming down the fucking stairs to gangrape me. The only good part was that only one of the silver knight archers was present when I arrived at the ascension area, so I was able to go up and inside to the bonfire easily enough. Here's where all fucking hell broke loose. I'm boxing uneeded items when I get pulled out from the bonfire, so I think "great... a fucking invasion. this will be a good change of pace." I leave Solaire at the fire and head to the door to find both mimics standing there trying to take a swipe at me. This isn't a problem, because they can't get in, and they cannot hit me so long as I don't get too close. I'm jump R2ing them when teh fucking redwraith shows up and it's a goddamn Giantdad. He worms his way past the mimics into the bonfire room and actually bows to me (crazy), and then starts slinging great chaos fireballs at me (not so crazy). After he runs out we fight like fucking men and I ruin his shit and give him the props he doesn't deserve and I finish off the mimics.

Like a fucking asshole I go across the hall and go to kill the spear silver knight in the closed room. This proves fatal, because while I'm battling him three more silver knights come in and murder my ass from behind. Respawn and rethink what just happened. I run back to the end of the hall to see how the silver knights will react under the mod to find both fucking silver knight archers jumping down to the balcony to fuck my shit up. While I'm finishing them off the spear knight comes running through the door to finish the job. Respawn and the first thing I do is close the door to the spear knight and run down to havel's little storage basement. Nothing follows. After running around trying to figure shit out I run back up to find 7 fucking silver knights waiting to gank me. I last less then a second. Next go I run to the balcony again. No archers yet (this mod is chaotic). I watch as several knights accumulate at the end of the hall near the staircase and just fucking stand there. I walk towards them slowly. Halfway there they all fucking aggro towards me and kill me. Respawn and do same strategy, only to find one of the archer knights on the balcony. I murder his ass and wait while fewer knights group up near the staircase. I manage to aggro one at a time with a bow shot the the head and finish them off piecemeal. There was only four. I go running up the spiral staircase to find 4 more, with one of them being the archer from the roof. How the fuck did they come that far away???

This is too long already... I spent a good two hours getting fucked by silver knights, and my wife said I looked like I had to take a terrible shit and have a heartattack the entire time I was playing. My jaw hurts from clenching my teeth together for so long. I made it to the blacksmith and ran down to the Darkmoon bonfire after opening all of the main doors. I went in to beat the fuck out of Fatty and McGee using Solaire, because fuck soloing these two guys after all that bullshit, only to get invaded by some dark magic spamming fuckass. I'm going back later to finish those fucks once and for all and move towards the end.

Aggression mod is for fucking men. Aggression mod on anything NG+ in Anor Londo is goddamn torture. I love it. I can't recommend it enough. I'll never go back to vanilla DS after this shit. It's like the first time you played Dark Souls, only more difficult. It makes the game new again, as you really, really need to rethink previous automatic strategies and watch your ass at every fucking corner, because enemies come from nowhere. If you're on PC I highly recommend it, but prepare to die all teh goddamn time, and you better be really, really good at parry/backstabbu, because those narrow windows of invincibility are the only thing that got my ass through the tough parts. That and fast rolls and and the Pharis bow loaded with poison arrows. And the Dark Silver Tracer. None of these assholes react like normal, and they rarely react the same way each time. Do it.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

That sounds awesome and incredibly frustrating. Will keep in mind for later. All this Dark Souls playing.has me itching to.play Demon's Souls again.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Wang Mandu wrote:All this Dark Souls playing.has me itching to.play Demon's Souls again.
That's what I'm doing. I made a new character with long white hair, and I'm trying to two-hand everything and never use a shield. I trust you can see where this idea comes from.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

spacehamster wrote: That's what I'm doing. I made a new character with long white hair, and I'm trying to two-hand everything and never use a shield. I trust you can see where this idea comes from.
Haha. I was going to make various Game of Throne characters but the lack of facial hair is heartbreaking. I hope DS2 has beards.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

That butterfly? :lol: You couldn't beat the pretty butterfly?
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Haha, definitely not a good drunk game. Also, you can summon an npc who'll pretty much destroy it for you. If you make it through Dark Souls, give Demon's Souls another chance. It's less forgiving and more obtuse in a lot of ways but won't be as daunting as going into one of these games for the first time.

Fuck his colleagues. I wonder what braindead TV shows and music they like... I've tried to turn some irl friends onto Dark Souls figuring they loved Skyrim so they'd enjoy a game that's actually challenging and has a much, much more interesting fantasy world. They're either too scared or can't be bothered. :(
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Are you talking about getting Dark Souls 2 for PS4???? It's only 360/PS3/PC for the time being. My students, all addicted to League of Legends, asked me what games I have been playing so I showed them a quick trailer for Dark Souls and told them you can essentially troll other players by invading their world. Their eyes lit up with hope and dreams but was quickly gone once they realized they aren't old enough to legally play the game here.

The only parts I can think of that will be frustrating are a few different boss battles but the solution is pretty simple, especially since you're playing on PS3 and the community is so active there. Summon some help or before you take on a boss throw down the white sign soapstone and help other players defeat a boss. You get to see what's in store for you if you want to take it on solo later and you'll get a good amount of souls. Another player makes most boss battles pretty easy but you still have to keep your guard up. I highly recommend trying every boss battle by yourself at least once as they can be pretty intense (in a good way!), it makes you a better player, and the sense of accomplishment is unparalleled.

Each blacksmith will ask for the specific ember. Certain ones want certain embers.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Those of yous with a PC please buy DS2 on the motherfucker and play it. PC Supremacy and all that jazz, but mostly because the more the merrier for online and whatnot.

Reminds me to preorder DS2 for PS3.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

level up your pyromancy. there's a few npcs that do it for you.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Pyromancy is not dependent upon any of your stats, so you have to level your flame with souls to get it stronger.

If you want to know more...
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

a world of no wrote:Those of yous with a PC please buy DS2 on the motherfucker and play it. PC Supremacy and all that jazz, but mostly because the more the merrier for online and whatnot.

Reminds me to preorder DS2 for PS3.
Done and done. But if the PC version is delayed much later... :ax: :nopizza: :tdown: They've said they're doing the PC version justice this time but we'll see. I hope it's more than just resolution and AA options. Give me proper textures and resolutions above 1080p.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

I don't think it's that many, but there's an area that has about half that as regular type enemies. You'll be fine.