Olde Timer

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by a world of no »

what's your sl?
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

Pisscubes wrote:There HAS to be a video somewhere of dudes invading and just staking out the catwalks in Sen's Fortress with huge arrows :lol:
there definitely is, and it's awesome. haven't seen it in a while, but I'll try to find it a bit later. I actually tried doing that after I saw the video but I suck with the dragonslayer arrows or whatever they're called. I've also seen some vids where invaders lure either the main player or someone the main player summoned into attacking blacksmiths and permanently aggroing them so they're effectively gone from that player's game... :lol: :lol: THAT is some evil shit

SH, i could help you with artorias if we could find a time where both of us are awake and not working. i've got 3 or 4 characters with soul levels ranging from like 30 to 130, IIRC
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Pisscubes wrote:I'm still dying over that video above. Is stuff like this common? Like, do people try to out do each other in terms of the most dick-ish way to invade someone? Can you invade someone during a boss fight? There HAS to be a video somewhere of dudes invading and just staking out the catwalks in Sen's Fortress with huge arrows :lol:
That guy has a shitload of videos of him just trolling people in PvP. His is not the only channel, but he's better at injecting "theme" into his builds to fuck with people than other guys are.
http://www.youtube.com/user/OnlyAfro
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywyll7GUG5Q<
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Wang Mandu wrote:What's your character build right now, spacehamster?
VIT/END/INT at 40, STR at 28. The idea being that magic weapons rape almost everything. SL 127. And yes, I realize all this adds up to a character that's OP if anything, and NG+ was actually mostly a cakewalk, but I can't even make a dent into the Four Kings and Artorias. Nothing else gave me too much trouble. I don't get it. I've been stuck for months. I just tried the Four Kings again, and it's the same as always. No problem getting past the Darkwraiths (not that you actually have to fight any of them, but it took me a while to remember how to get to the boss fog), dead in <30 seconds as soon as I get to the boss fight.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2brgThOuas<

the end of this one is just too perfect for words :fp: :lol:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

spacehamster wrote:I just tried the Four Kings again, and it's the same as always. No problem getting past the Darkwraiths (not that you actually have to fight any of them, but it took me a while to remember how to get to the boss fog), dead in <30 seconds as soon as I get to the boss fight.
:lol:

You know why I bitch about stuff like this on the internet? Because usually it sorts itself out an hour later. Four Kings: done. Strategy: Stone Armor + Iron Flesh + two-handed Magic Bastard Sword. Circle right, hack away.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

FVBTVS wrote:the end of this one is just too perfect for words :fp: :lol:
Never owned an Xbox, but from the people I know that do it appears to be very fitting.

I'm running into a lot of these assholes lately...
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aSCbCUqj64<
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

You know, i of course resent this implication that i just don't know how to play Dark Souls when i was the first one here to beat it, beat it on multiple +s, have done basically every tiny hidden mission and sub-quest in the core game etc etc

But much more that that i resent this suggestion that the archer part isn't at least a little bit cheap :lol: :lol: :lol: :wank: :wank:
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

I resent that you think anyone was implying that you don't know how to play.
There's lots of cheap shit in the game, and resent your suggestion that only the archers are a little bit so.
Bragging is a bit resentful, but it's fun, isn't it? I resent that!!
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

spacehamster wrote:accomplished exactly nothing
Later that day: beat Four Kings, that being the last boss fight needed to unlock the endgame, joined and leveled up Darkmoon Covenant, got one more upgrade trophy.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
What do you mean, "real life things I should've accomplished today"?
Anyway, I haven't entirely given up on platinum'ing this game just yet, and the Darkmoon Covenant was the one thing I was the most worried about because I thought getting ten Souvenirs of Reprisal would either require me to actually learn how to PvP or play through the game like eight more times. Turns out they're actually pretty easy to farm from the crow demons in the painted world if you bring the gold serpent ring.

I think my biggest problem's going to be cutting Priscilla and Seath's tails off. I lost count of how many times I tried getting Seath's before I gave up.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

spacehamster wrote:Anyway, I haven't entirely given up on platinum'ing this game just yet, and the Darkmoon Covenant was the one thing I was the most worried about because I thought getting ten Souvenirs of Reprisal would either require me to actually learn how to PvP or play through the game like eight more times. Turns out they're actually pretty easy to farm from the crow demons in the painted world if you bring the gold serpent ring.
yeah, IIRC they patched the drop rate and made it very manageable. I got 10 before the patch, mostly due to a ridiculous string of luck unmatched by anything I've experienced in the Souls games. In two hours, I invaded one guy four times and beat him easily because he kept running into other enemies, three people either fell off cliffs or jumped off intentionally, and three other times I invaded a pair of players and they seemingly let me kill the host.

but it turns out the best part of getting those 10 is that the darkmoon blade is actually really badass and more than worth using. DMB + power within + great scythe+15 = beast mode
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

so my friend just texted me a weird detail about dark souls 2 that i'm not sure if i believe but i dont want to look up because im kinda going into lockdown mode but now i'm really curious about.. :oops:

potential real gameplay spoiler:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
i hear if you consistently die while you're hollow now you can permanently lose up to 50% of your life? and then to restore it you have to use an item that there's a limited amount of? am i butchering it? sounds a bit like demons souls but more evil..
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
elephants gerald
One Of Many Accounts

Post by elephants gerald »

riley-o wrote:You know, i of course resent this implication that i just don't know how to play Dark Souls when i was the first one here to beat it, beat it on multiple +s, have done basically every tiny hidden mission and sub-quest in the core game etc etc

But much more that that i resent this suggestion that the archer part isn't at least a little bit cheap :lol: :lol: :lol: :wank: :wank:
hahaha sorry. maybe I just got lucky? it SEEMED really easy this last time, but maybe I just haven't had my ass handed to me nearly recently enough to view that bit with appropriately shit-stained glasses
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

FVBTVS wrote:so my friend just texted me a weird detail about dark souls 2 that i'm not sure if i believe but i dont want to look up because im kinda going into lockdown mode but now i'm really curious about.. :oops:

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
i hear if you consistently die while you're hollow now you can permanently lose up to 50% of your life? and then to restore it you have to use an item that there's a limited amount of? am i butchering it? sounds a bit like demons souls but more evil..
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
every time you die, your HP capacity goes down by 10%, up until half your life bar is gone. you can use an item called a human effigy to restore your life bar. from what i've heard they might be somewhat common
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

in some ways it seems like DS2 might be even more hardcore than DS. apparently pyromancy is now tied to stats the way sorceries and miracles are... goodbye free superpowers :cry:
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

I think my favorite changes are....
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
backstabs are no longer invincible and if you put a shield on your back you can't be backstabbed. :moreawesome:
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Spooky Apparition wrote:in some ways it seems like DS2 might be even more hardcore than DS. apparently pyromancy is now tied to stats the way sorceries and miracles are... goodbye free superpowers :cry:
There will be some advantage to find surely - There HAS to be...

Goddam playing that DLC sent me to the DS bench with the Knight mocking my wussy resolve...
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

FVBTVS wrote:so my friend just texted me a weird detail about dark souls 2 that i'm not sure if i believe but i dont want to look up because im kinda going into lockdown mode but now i'm really curious about.. :oops:

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
This is true, sort of... Every time you die you lose a fraction of your health down to (I think) 50% absolute minimum. It's supposed to represent you going more and more hollow each time you die. In order to fix this you have to burn a "human effigy" which is pretty much the new humanity in this game.
I've only looked up a handful of things, mostly from people that have played the beta version, but all things point to lots of shit being fixed, and an insane amount of replayability. Enjoy Dark Souls while you can, because I don't think anyone is going back after this thing comes out in less than a month.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Dedicated servers, and limited coop times. Also, backstabs, door openings, rolls, levers, etc that gave you invincibility in DS is now gone. You get hit, no matter what you're doing. No more taking advantage of pre-animated action invulnerability. Also, all covenants are supposed to be optimally balanced now. Best part is that you can be invaded no matter what your fucking status. Suck it, hollow boys. *boner*
Edit: Watch at your own risk.
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=934keHnuy3s<
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Do you have to buy all of Big Hat Logan's spells from him in the same playthrough for the last part of his story to trigger? I had clearly exhausted all of his dialogue to where he's just muttering and had all of the spells, but of course I have no idea anymore when I bought them, most likely I got a few in the first playthrough and the rest in NG+. He wouldn't budge. Warping away and quitting the game did nothing. It's not a huge problem because he drops the spell you need from him if you kill him at the exit to the garden, but I kinda wanted to see the story play out, obviously.

I'm also pretty sure I fucked up Siegmeyer's story again, but I walked away from this playthrough like a year ago and I don't remember shit. I'm almost glad I fucked up with Sif's soul, so I'll have to do 1.5 more anyway. And fuck the DLC, I'll try again in NG++ with Sif alive.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

spacehamster wrote:Do you have to buy all of Big Hat Logan's spells from him in the same playthrough for the last part of his story to trigger?
yeah, I'm pretty sure in NG+ I tried buying only the spells I didn't already have and it wouldn't advance. not 100% sure though.

and taking on the DLC in NG++? Good luck... I didn't have a great time with that :? gave up on Manus and Kalameet after a few tries each, but that was also when I was approaching DS burnout and had already beaten the DLC twice so I wasn't motivated to experiment
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Man, I cannot wait for the new backstab mechanics. I'm so tired of getting sucked into backstabs when I'm not even close to the invader.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Spooky Apparition wrote: and taking on the DLC in NG++? Good luck... I didn't have a great time with that :?
Apparently the difficulty increase from + to ++ isn't all that big, similar to what it was like in Demon's Souls, so I figure by then I'll have leveled up a bunch and it'll be manageable. Either that or I'll do the platinum and then start a new character specifically for the DLC so I can do it in an NG. We'll see. I've already had my burnout, so I'm feeling pretty motivated right now, and I'm not working this week.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

No, not exactly. You have more control over your swing so if you're targeting someone and another enemy comes you can direct your swing to the new enemy with out losing the lock on on the first enemy. Basically when you swing, don't move the joystick in a different direction. Seems like we'll deal with more mobs in DS2 than before.
Jerrod
git help.

Post by Jerrod »

Wang Mandu wrote:Man, I cannot wait for the new backstab mechanics. I'm so tired of getting sucked into backstabs when I'm not even close to the invader.
This is the worst. I get backstabbed regularly by people who are IN FRONT of me.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

get gud scrub
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR