The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by spacehamster »

Spooky Apparition wrote:also, dark souls is probably the only game that requires a wiki to even figure out how to access DLC you already paid for :lol:

not that i mind, it's kind of cool actually
At this point it's like an in-joke between the devs and the people who play these games. I think it was Riley who pointed out how hilarious the "manual" for the game is. It explains basically nothing, and that's totally the point. "Humanity counter: this shows your humanity count." :lol:
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

spacehamster wrote:Three hours, guys. Three. Fucking. Hours to get Seath's tail off. But I got it.

Second time fighting Seath. :awesome: But this was a first playthrough for that character.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

spacehamster wrote:
a world of no wrote:Seath (...) after Gough weakens him
Uh, this is Kalameet you're talking about, I believe? Not that I'd know, but that's what the Wiki says. I've given up on going into the DLC blind, needed to loot some of it to get titanite slabs anyway.

I always forget how retarded the Bed of Chaos "fight" is. Aside from all the obvious reasons, I hate how it's actually easier to let yourself get killed or warp out and start over from the middle.

Anyway, that's done, leveled up in Darkwraith because I want to dress up as Skeletor, only Gwyn left and then a quick run to Sif and I'm done. I think I'm gonna blow off all other responsibilities for the rest of the day and just stay up until I'm done.
yeah... I meant Kalameet.

Bed of Chaos sucks, but it's easy enough to avoid shit if you know the "route" to both sides. Run right and kill that one first, then stick towards the outside and arrow the 2nd from afar. Run back to the middle and wait for the swipe attacks, and make a mad dash slightly right of center and hope you don't get hit on your fall through to the branch. I hate the fucking distance between that boss and the nearest bonfire.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Wang Mandu wrote: Second time fighting Seath. :awesome: But this was a first playthrough for that character.
:lol: :lol:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
:highfive:
Oh well, it's done. Never again.

Speaking of which - platinum'd as of about 45 minutes ago. I know, two years too late for bragging rights, especially with the patches getting you out of PvP, but... I needed to get this done very badly. Last run from the beginning to the giant blacksmith was 2.5 hours, I think. I'm SO glad I got the master key when I started.

It's funny, I got incredibly burned out on this game when I got stuck at the Four Kings in NG+ way back when and sort of started poo-pooing it and telling everyone I liked Demon's Souls better, but having played both of them right after one another now, I'm gonna go ahead and say that was a retarded thing to say. I think it just took me this long to really fall in love with Dark Souls because I already liked Demon's Souls way, way, WAY too much.

Viddygamz. Ser biz. I think I'm gonna go outside now.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

What is this? Free Dark Soul weekend on 360? What a mother fucking Pussy to invade me while I was 1% health and stab me in the back while I was limping away from a big ass battle. Fuck, I didn't even know I was invaded till I got to the camp fire and a wall blocked me.

Yes, I'm now playing it. Let you know more when I'm I bit more sober. Or not.

But what the fuck? All the armor I wasted souls on at the merchant fucking sucks. Rapier better than hand axe? Dude with the huge club is scary as fuck. Ran from him like a bitch when I tried to get my souls back.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

...and I don't appreciate only getting 50 souls after finally killing the skeletons. That shit was like a mini- boss fight many levels above me and that's all the reward.

Despite my anger, great game.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

:lol: this is going to be like geoff's posts all over again. What build did you start with?

Just discharged all over ceaseless discharge. I don't remember him being this easy and predictable.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Pyro, my man. I've been putting my stats into strength & Dex since I learned pyro magic doesn't scale with int. of course, I'd be a higher level if I didn't waste it on stupid ass shit. Sorry, I'm used to RPGS where buying armor meant better armor. I did kick the shit out of the Asylum Demon with no problem.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

New rule: The Bill is required to play the entirety of this game drunk and document it here.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

This game isn't black metal. This is some Eye of the Tiger and the 80's montage rock n' roll shit. I like it. But I'm done for the night.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I lied. Very addictive. Rapier is awesome. Speed kills in this game.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i might need to really step my game up soon because there are now one too many skrubz in this thread :lol:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

The Bill wrote:I lied. Very addictive. Rapier is awesome. Speed kills in this game.
:tup:

Severely underrated weapon. Excellent moveset, and has one of the highest critical stats in the game. Backstab and parry/riposte for massive damage wit that thing, bra.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Actually when I die I'm not so much frustrated at the game as I'm disappointed in my self. What crack cocaine is blowing through my console ?

Not rapier, scimitar.

Should I grind some souls for a miracle from that first fag I met in the first area there.

If I had a genie, and I had an extra wish it I didn't need, It would be to make Archie Bunker a real person and he would have to play this game.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

No miracles... Only buffs, heal, and Wrath of the Gods/Force are miracles worth a damn imo. Your faith stat has to be pretty good, too.
The Bill wrote:Actually when I die I'm not so much frustrated at the game as I'm disappointed in my self.
Welcome to hell.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

a world of no wrote:Your faith stat has to be pretty good, too.
Are any of the weapons with Faith damage modifiers any good? Seems like 2/3rds of the boss soul weapons get a damage bonus from Faith, and I'm walking around with tons of miracles I can't use. With hindsight, I really shouldn't have assumed basically making the same build I had for Demon's Souls would necessarily be a good idea, but such are the perils of going in blind, I guess. In DS there was a tiny handful of weapons with a faith modifier and the only miracle you really needed was Evacuate, and now in DkS it's like freakin' everything is about your faith stat.

And at about sl 150, my faith is currently sitting at 15, iirc. lol.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

I've never liked any of the faith weapons much, as there's usually better normal scaling weapons that do higher damage, and there's really not that many to choose from. I have one semi-faith build, which is my darkmoon, which I put at 30 faith specifically for using the Blade of the Darkmoon buff. I rarely use it anymore, unless someone wants to get cheaty or giantdad/darkmagic, but it's usually a one hit ass murder buff. Worth it for that alone. Sometimes I attune WotG just to fuck with people in the forest.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Count me lucky? Enemy just dropped a spear & suddenly I'm the man.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

a world of no wrote:Gravelord event in Sen's this Saturday on all platforms. Not sure if anyone here has taken part of these before, but they're usually pretty fun, with a good amount of participants. See the links for times and rules.

PC info: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/667257-d ... n/68541320
PS3: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-d ... s/68367959
COD scrubs: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/608635-d ... s/68392102
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K125Rt1kLk<
Bump for about 10 hours start from now.

TIME: First wave at 10am/1pm PST/ET, Second at 6pm/9pm PST/ET, but it's basically going to be going all day non-stop.

PLACE: Roof area of Sen's before the drop down to the balcony bonfire. Use your orbs there, or look for gravelord signs.

RULES: Separate rules for each console, so see the links above for details. SL 115-130. Basically rules though are that NO invaders can heal. Only gravelords. Evens out the game getting 3+v1. Dickwraiths can join against or with the Gravelord. INDICT EVERYONE, because Darkmoon invasions make it even more fun for everyone. You have to be NG+ to see Gravelord Black Phantoms. I'm joining in on an NG+++ character, so I don't expect to last long when infected.

To host as a Gravelord for the event you have to be a member of the covenant, have Eyes of Death on hand, and the Iron Golem boss undefeated. If you need eyes just ask. People usually dole out cracked eye orbs and eyes of death before a fight, so if you see someone hesitate after invading let them do so, and go pick up what they left you. At the least you could probably shoot off a message to an invader and see if they have some to share.

Giantdads and min/max builds are usually not well tolerated. This is supposed to be fun, and the odds are heavily against the Gravelords, so stunlocking dudes with your casul zwei build is not going to make you any friends, but have at it anyways. You're going to get raepd. Most people cosplay in fucked up builds, because it's fun. You don't have to be good at PvP to have fun. You will die. We all will. It's fun. Getting murdered is fun. Come join in the fun.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Darkmoon Blade going to be allowed for this or is it poor form?
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Did a little research on magic boosting equipment because I don't know shit about fuck, bought myself a bellowing dragoncrest ring and the crown of the dark sun, then went and fucking CLOBBERED Manos and Kalameet. After that, went and wrecked shop on Gwyn in like five seconds, then started NG+ and have been cutting a swath of savagery across the land. It's so cool how when you just get into rhythm with this game, and dodge the attacks perfectly & smoothly, parry effortlessly, and do massive damage in return. I don't know if I'll bother to blast all the way through this NG+ as the point of this playthrough was primarily to finally play the DLC, but I've been having so much fun playing it again that really the future's wide open..
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Wang Mandu wrote:Darkmoon Blade going to be allowed for this or is it poor form?
Should be fine. I'm using my darkmoon. Giantdad gets a blue scythe blade to the face from me, that's for certain.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote: So I pull the lever, turn the crank, get to the top of the huge staircase and just fucking book it-- past the sentinel, past all the bullshit flying guys and before I know it, I'm running up the ramparts and don't get tagged even once. I rush up to the right archer and knock his ass off, then right over to the left guy and do the same. I didn't even think about it-- I just kept going. Apparently if I simply turn my brain off, I'm much better at this game. :awesome:
One reason why light gear is generally better for this game (though tanking is absolutely the best way to easymode many of the bossfights) is that there's so much stuff that you can just sprint past if you know where you're going. I think the majority of bossfights are located in places that you can sprint to from the nearest bonfire without so much as looking at another enemy.

Have fun with Beanpole and Fatass. I'm stuck there again too right now, actually.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Pisscubes wrote:I went and did some errands, came back and turned the game on and thought, "You know what? Fuck it. I've seen these people do speedruns over and over again. I'm not going to interact with any of the fucking enemies on the way to the archers."

So I pull the lever, turn the crank, get to the top of the huge staircase and just fucking book it-- past the sentinel, past all the bullshit flying guys and before I know it, I'm running up the ramparts and don't get tagged even once. I rush up to the right archer and knock his ass off, then right over to the left guy and do the same. I didn't even think about it-- I just kept going. Apparently if I simply turn my brain off, I'm much better at this game. :awesome:

Cashed in the lastest bonfire and now on to find those two assholes you guys are always talking about :cry:
Nice job! Now comes the fun part of Anor Londo!

For future reference, that leftside archer doesn't usually pose an issue, so you can usually just bypass the rightside one that's in your way to the balcony.
Don't try that speed run now that you're in the building... Silver Knights run fast, and don't usually give up pursuit that easily.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

The bonfire INSIDE the castle after the archers is the last before the boss. FYI, this area is a great place to practice your parrys/ backstabs. Practice on the silver knights till your hearts content, all while getting lots of souls and good item drops. This is my favorite place to grind next to the ol farmin hole.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?