The Dark Souls Thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Re: The Dark Souls Thread

Post by a world of no »

Pisscubes wrote::|

So. Uh.

I kindle the bonfire and decide to become human. NO sooner do I do this than I'm invaded. OK. I'm still next to the bonfire, I'll summon a friend because this level is hard enough.

I apparently summoned Ghengis fucking Khan. Dude sprints out of the room, takes care of both the invader and the knight hiding in the staircase before I even can really get into the fray. I poke around for a bit but it's obvious he knows where he's going. We get in the huge hall before the boss fight and he, again, almost single-handedly takes out both sentinels.

Against my better judgement, I go through the fog. He's fucking half-way through with the smaller boss before I can change my weapon. I get in there with him and we finally become a good double team with me backstabbing with the lightning spear while he (heavy armor, huge sword) is just absorbing attacks and basically get through the boss fight in like three minutes.

:| :oops:

I swear to you all, I didn't enter into this thinking I'd take these guys on in the most pussy-est of fashion. It certainly turned out that way. I just wanted some help with an invader. :oops:
wow... that was nice! make sure you go open the door at the end of the hallway outside the boss room. nice shortcut. you're also going to want to go up the stairs to your right (opposite end from where you came in originally) and look around. listen for the sounds to guide your way.

and now you can warp between bonefires.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Hahahah that dude spared you A LOT of grief: o&s are probably responsible for countless heart attacks and strokes for first time players world wide. I did a fair share of raging with those two. I know what you mean though, its pretty emasculating to have a phantom come in and lay waste for you ( I had a sorcerer come in and take out artorias in 6 hits :oops: ).
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote:It's not that I'm not grateful, I just KNOW that that was a milestone of the game and I totally accidentally took the pussy route out.
If it's any consolation, I'm in my NG+++ and today is the first time I actually solo'd O&S. Although now that I know how, obviously it doesn't seem that difficult anymore, but you know how that goes. It just takes patience and the right gear. Anyway, there's always NG+ if you want to redeem yourself - I sure felt like I had to do this to really feel like I've beaten the game.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Plus I got invaded about three times more than there were summon signs. :oops:
Painted World (not really a spoiler, more a warning):
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Totally awesome, but the first time you go in, you're trapped, so only do it if you're ready to spend some time there. It's optional anyway.
I'm still in the Darkwraith covenant and having just beaten O&S, everything's open, but many bosses are still alive so it's easy to get humanity. I think I'm gonna fuck around with the laggy-ass PvP for a bit now, as long as there's still people in the game.

Also haven't done the depths in a while because I had the master key and was always in a hurry, so I went there for the first time in forever today. It's kinda great to have an area that still feels fresh.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

so wait, you lost the love even though you beat snigger and fuckstick first try?? i'm wagging my finger right now
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

no i get it though. the design of anor londo is kind of a desert the first time..
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

if the first part of anor londo wasn't appealing to you you're probably going to really hate demon ruins and lost izalith. they have the same massive openness but even more big enemies constantly assaulting you. plus it's much less visually interesting than anor londo (which i loved all of, including the first half, the catwalk in the cathedral, etc.) and there's a few of boss fights that compared to the rest of the game basically seem like one after another. oh yeah, and a bunch of capra and taurus demons.

it's definitely my least favorite chunk of the game, and it has by far the worst boss fight. pre-patch it also had THE dumbest area in the game (dinosaur guys) but now it's too bad, i guess.
Last edited by Spooky Apparition on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

first time i played demon ruins i was more oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck are you serious

so it broke up the monotony
Pisscubes wrote: You guys never had a section of the game that made me you less enthralled?
i was positively bored to tears by the depths and still am. if it didn't have such a cool ass boss fight i would wonder why its even in the game..
Last edited by FVBTVS on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

riley-o wrote:Did a little research on magic boosting equipment because I don't know shit about fuck, bought myself a bellowing dragoncrest ring and the crown of the dark sun, then went and fucking CLOBBERED Manos and Kalameet. After that, went and wrecked shop on Gwyn in like five seconds, then started NG+ and have been cutting a swath of savagery across the land. It's so cool how when you just get into rhythm with this game, and dodge the attacks perfectly & smoothly, parry effortlessly, and do massive damage in return. I don't know if I'll bother to blast all the way through this NG+ as the point of this playthrough was primarily to finally play the DLC, but I've been having so much fun playing it again that really the future's wide open..
did you do all that shit primarily using magic, or do you have pretty good melee weapons too? if you did it with just magic that'd be pretty fucking impressive... I felt like artorias would attack me too quickly to have a good magic strategy against him, but I probably didn't have the best sorceries with that character. what sorceries do you usually have attuned?
Pisscubes wrote:You guys never had a section of the game that made me you less enthralled?
I'd say demon ruins/lost izalith are objectively the worst designed parts of the game, but I did them last and felt pretty good at the game by that point, so I got through everything fairly easy.

but I did TotG right after getting the lordvessel and went in blind, literally and figuratively. didn't know about the light spell, didn't know where else to get a lantern AND missed the first bonfire. that was the part of the game I hated most on the first playthrough, but now I think it's really fun
Last edited by Spooky Apparition on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

GL event is kicking pretty good on PC. Have the Dried Finger, otherwise you're going to not see signs for a few minutes after an invasion. Lost count of how many invasions I've had so far, but it's been hella fucking fun. Wang is in there somewhere as well on PC. Shit is hoppin.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Pisscubes wrote:. I don't think he even attacked me. He just sort of floated around like a queer and let me cut him to ribbons.
:lol:

I'm convinced he was an ironic joke put there by the game designers. So...how's tomb of the giants treating you :wink: . There's a non joke boss fight waiting for you.

I'd say bed of chaos is the only segment I can say I really hate about the game, though there is an awful lot of annoying backtracking.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I actually liked the first half of Anor Londo better than the second half during my first playthrough. Once you get past those archers, it's just hallway after hallway and silver knight after silver knight. They're fun to fight once you get the hang of it, like GD said, but it just drags on forever with not much variety. Having just gone through the Dogface and Bubblebutt bossfight again, I'd have to totally agree it's one of the points, maybe the best/most extreme example, in the game where you're rewarded enormously for sticking it out through a tough level and an even tougher bossfight. First tits and then the Lordvessel, and suddenly Lordran is your oyster.

I think the only part of the game I truly hated the first time was the Great Hollow. I've never gone back once.

Anyway, I think I finally have DSfix working and holy fuck does it look good, but I think I'm gonna have to finally figure out how to hook up a Dualshock because fuck playing this game with the Xbro controller, it's just too weird after 500 hours of DS and DkS on the PS3.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Pisscubes wrote:
Ghost Dad wrote:
Pisscubes wrote:. I don't think he even attacked me. He just sort of floated around like a queer and let me cut him to ribbons.
:lol:

I'm convinced he was an ironic joke put there by the game designers. So...how's tomb of the giants treating you :wink: . There's a non joke boss fight waiting for you.

I'd say bed of chaos is the only segment I can say I really hate about the game, though there is an awful lot of annoying backtracking.
I didn't have a light source so I died quickly :cry:
That whole shit is trollsville on part of the developers. Difficult as fuck, easiest boss in the game, your dead, fucker.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Pisscubes wrote:Big Hat dude told me I can't learn any magic. FUCK him. He don't know me. :(

Where the fuck do I get a lamp?
You know those fire throwing monks holding the lanterns in the catacombs before Pinwheel? Them. There's only so many though, and they don't respawn.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote: Where the fuck do I get a lamp?
If you make it about a third of the way down, you'll, um, meet a guy who'll help you find one.

Or:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
1) There's a way to make a merchant appear in Darkroot Basin that has a light spell, but you'll need to level up your INT to 15.
2) There's a glowing piece of headgear that you can pick up in the Demon Ruins, but it entails donating 30 humanity to level up in a covenant.
I'm really glad you gave me an excuse to look all this shit up, I'll totally need it myself and I'd forgotten almost all of it. :lol:
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

Not sure how much this has been stated already but your first time through you will miss a lot. A shit ton. There's all kinds of stuff that you simply will not find except by rare accident, or... you look it up.

Once you get to NG+, or make a new build and start from scratch, go to the wiki and do some research. I guess you could come here and we could tell you some stuff as well, but the wikidot wiki really is a lot of fun to browse through.

And get the DLC if you haven't already. Best parts of the game.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

a world of no wrote: Once you get to NG+, or make a new build and start from scratch, go to the wiki and do some research.
It's insane how much stuff there is that I still haven't done. Especially NPC storylines. And it seems like there's still something like a dozen armors that I don't have yet. I'll lose my job soon.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

stupid shit but

i actually had to blow the winged spear up to +5 just so i could get all the damage on the first gargoyle across in time for the second one to show up because i legitimately couldn't handle them both at them same time. i need that first fucker to be on deaths door or else i couldn't hang :lol:

scrubber9
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

so i finally got cursed for the first time ever (after 150+ hours) and that coupled with the fact that i wanted to stop playing so DS2 felt more fresh sealed the deal
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

Pisscubes wrote:Fuck I hate the Tomb of Giants. I keep running the gauntlet to get from the pre-Pinwheel's lair to the Tomb and keep dying as I stagger about looking for a fucking light. blarrrrg.
you should stop running up there anyway because nito is just going to buttfuck your mouth when you get there :lol:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

Pisscubes wrote:
guardianoftheblind wrote:so i finally got cursed for the first time ever (after 150+ hours) and that coupled with the fact that i wanted to stop playing so DS2 felt more fresh sealed the deal
:shock:

You NEVER got cursed in 150 plus hours????

Got damn killagram...
i got greedy during seath. my own fault
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Spooky Apparition wrote:
riley-o wrote:Did a little research on magic boosting equipment because I don't know shit about fuck, bought myself a bellowing dragoncrest ring and the crown of the dark sun, then went and fucking CLOBBERED Manos and Kalameet. After that, went and wrecked shop on Gwyn in like five seconds, then started NG+ and have been cutting a swath of savagery across the land. It's so cool how when you just get into rhythm with this game, and dodge the attacks perfectly & smoothly, parry effortlessly, and do massive damage in return. I don't know if I'll bother to blast all the way through this NG+ as the point of this playthrough was primarily to finally play the DLC, but I've been having so much fun playing it again that really the future's wide open..
did you do all that shit primarily using magic, or do you have pretty good melee weapons too? if you did it with just magic that'd be pretty fucking impressive... I felt like artorias would attack me too quickly to have a good magic strategy against him, but I probably didn't have the best sorceries with that character. what sorceries do you usually have attuned?
I use melee (moonlight butterfly horn +5) that works well enough against the dumb enemies in between bosses, but it was all sorceries against the bosses. There wasn't a single boss I did more than 40 damage to with melee. In the endgame of NG I was rolling with crystal soul spear, soul spear x2, great heavy soul arrow, homing crystal soulmass, and strong magic shield.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

I'm done... Excellent day of PvP, and a fitting end for me. I've done everything I think I want to do with the game at this point. DS2 is so close I can't see messing about with it much anymore. I've got new job stuff to worry about anyways, so good bye for now last 500+ hours of my life game. Every second was worth it.
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

FVBTVS wrote:mlg pro references in darksouls pvp is gold

GOLD
I got a message earlier after a gravelord parried/riposte 2x in a row killed me: "MPG Pro".

I... didn't know how to respond to that... I told him I was gearing up my dad to come shove a zwei in his fat starfish. I never got to invade him again. :(

Ok... maybe I'm not done. Still 3 weeks to go.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Any tips for the Four Kings on NG+? Beatrice is worthless :nopizza:.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I stopped tanking and went light. Dodge his punch then counterpunch. His attacks are predictable and very telegraphed and easy to dodge, you just need to get the asshole out of there before another shows up. Staying close works very well except when he goes to grab you, so know that animation well and roll backwards.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES