The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by doomeddisciple »

I woke up on the couch a half hour ago and chucked God of War Ascention in to see how long til The Last Of Us early access demo had to go - 4.44 mins/seconds.

Waited for the countdown, went to the login screen - 80xxxxxx errors flooding - now ps3 needs a reboot - :ax: :ax:
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Update: so Sony chose the same moment to do network maintenance. Back in now, the demo is a 132 mb demo - is this the full game as designed for a mid 90's pc or a lauded demo that is actually a movie file .... Demo downloaded - I'll have a look...
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Ok nope - it's a 132mb file that has now linked me to another download when selecting The Last of Us in the game bit of the XMB - I must be early to this as I am tracking a reasonable dl speed and a wait of about 20 minutes at 10% of the dl complete.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:
doomeddisciple wrote:Ok nope - it's a 132mb file that has now linked me to another download when selecting The Last of Us in the game bit of the XMB - I must be early to this as I am tracking a reasonable dl speed and a wait of about 20 minutes at 10% of the dl complete.
:beer:

Let us know how it is!
Yeah, if it blows, I'm cancelling the pre-order, I've got so many goddamn games to play I won't mind.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Ok so played through the short demo. It feels not unsurprisingly like an Uncharted game in terms of mechanics and moving your character around. Of course the post apocalyptic ruins are creepier than say Uncharted 2 when I felt for the first time in a game in years to stop and look at the scenery.

The demo gives you a bit of a preview of most of the games wares with a nice teaser into applying scavenged stuff you come across into weapon crafting - I stuck a shiv and a metal pole together for example.

There's a cool foreboding atmosphere and while the elder protagonist didn't make me worry too much about her fate - having the kid along gives the game some weight - the good thing is that this far they are not stupid and either hide in a safe spot or actively move to a safer position - normally I hate chaperone shit but this seemed cool.

I played on a normal difficulty and the enemies on their own dont seem to daunting - but each encounter gives a sense of a genuine threat - they can kick your ass pretty quickly when there's more than one and they wern't afraid of using a blind angle to attack me from when I was distracted with another one.

Not sure how long the main game will be but I was intrigued enough to wana buy it on launch day now and I get the feeling this will be another platinum trophy in Riley's collection one day. I want to play more of it but I don't think I'll play the demo again more than maybe once more to try out a couple of the different weapons or tactics.

I like having a stealth kill option between shiving or strangulation.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

damn, sounds good to me. did you get to mess around with the inventory or do any crafting stuff? EDIT: doh, overlooked that sentence in your post. NEVERMIND. so did you make a spear or something with the shiv/pole? i'm curious how much stuff can really be created and if you're allowed to make crazy weapons or if it's a short list of stuff you'll be forced to make over and over again
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Spooky Apparition wrote:damn, sounds good to me. did you get to mess around with the inventory or do any crafting stuff? EDIT: doh, overlooked that sentence in your post. NEVERMIND. so did you make a spear or something with the shiv/pole? i'm curious how much stuff can really be created and if you're allowed to make crazy weapons or if it's a short list of stuff you'll be forced to make over and over again
The crafting menu looked pretty sparse putting the 'pointy stick' together - which required some rags or tape and other stuff too - a bit like Dead Space but without needing a workbench to do it on. Quite a few slots were empty when I made it so I think there's potential to craft cool shit.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Edit: you can also craft healing and stuff other than weapons - also like dead space - only you have to do it, and heal , in a safe place as it infers you can be attacked while crafting/healing
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

so it's like a real-time/in-game menu? that's cool, didn't know about that. game is sounding pretty survival horror-like, which is fine by me.

does your dude move around like nathan drake, where you press forward hoping to take a few steps and he decides to jump around like an idiot trying to squeeze 6 animations into a few seconds? it seems like that'd be out of place in this game, but you mentioned that how you move around feels similar to uncharted

probably going to get this day one either way though based on what you said :tup:
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Oh my god! That last level was fucking annoying. But I slugged through it and beat the game. Um, so my daughter died but was reborn, and I guess the lady cop and I will bone and raise her. What's this out takes garbage. 5 Stars motherfucjer, I still have done juice left inside me.
Cascade Whore
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Location: A sterilized but unpressed gift from a nose-holding charity which passes out clothing to slum drunks

Post by Cascade Whore »

Wank night's cancelled
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

The fucking fedz killed undergroundgamer :fp:
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

james wrote:The fucking fedz killed undergroundgamer :fp:
I guess it's too late, but what was it?
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

The Bill wrote:
james wrote:The fucking fedz killed undergroundgamer :fp:
I guess it's too late, but what was it?
Torrent tracker for video games - basically the greatest archive of digitally preserved video games/video game culture data ever assembled. Nothing newer than 10 years - but anything that had ever been archived digitally before then was cataloged, organized and available.

VHS rips of gaming-related tapes, scans of magazines, dumps of 80s computer software that would have otherwise rotted on microcassette - all constantly being dumped fresh for the first time.

It's sad but the work that was done there will now invariably spread to other places around the interzone.

Rumor is that EA was pursuing legal action because they found fucking Fifa 98 there :fp: :fp:
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

doomeddisciple wrote:Ok so played through the short demo. It feels not unsurprisingly like an Uncharted game in terms of mechanics and moving your character around.
I thought it handled a lot tighter than the Uncharted games, which is nice. Uncharted always felt too floaty to me. Overall I'm a bit surprised by how unremarkable the graphics are, but I do like the combat because there seems to be genuine weight to each encounter and a sense of actual threat. At least with the weapons the demo gives you, I wonder how long it takes for you to get the Super Awesome Zombie Splodin Shotgun.

Overall, it's nice, but there really isn't anywhere near enough content in the demo for me to have any idea if I'll like this game. It's, what, a bunch of walking around, an introduction to the purpose of bottle throwing, then you kill five zombies, and it's over?
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Wolfey
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by Wolfey »

look what's coming back lol

james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

I wonder if they're going to be revitalizing weird franchises like this in 20 years?

ROTT was always on everyone's 486 - but it was always an off-brand thing, I'm not sure I ever saw anything but a shareware version hahah! This is a bit different than taking something like Ultima or Wasteland to kickstarter.

What're some also-ran games that they could resurrect like this in the 2030s? I don't even fuckin
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

even whatever year that was when rott came out it was really bad..
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
electronichamz
git help.

Post by electronichamz »

Downloading MINERVA: Metastasis right now. Its a free mod to Half Life 2: Episode 1? Anyone play it?

Plus I bought the entire Alan Wake franchise for $4 today
Hostage Grenade II wrote:Plastikman is actually not made of plastic
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

electronichamz wrote:Downloading MINERVA: Metastasis right now. Its a free mod to Half Life 2: Episode 1? Anyone play it?
Not sure it's the exact same thing, but I did play a HL2 mod called Minerva a very long time ago. Honestly, don't remember anything that stands out about it. I've played a ton of mods in the past and only They Hunger, US Darkstar, and Poke646 are the ones I always remember being top notch. They were all original HL mods. Don't know if you can play them with HL: Source or not.
electronichamz
git help.

Post by electronichamz »

The Bill wrote:
electronichamz wrote:Downloading MINERVA: Metastasis right now. Its a free mod to Half Life 2: Episode 1? Anyone play it?
Not sure it's the exact same thing, but I did play a HL2 mod called Minerva a very long time ago. Honestly, don't remember anything that stands out about it. I've played a ton of mods in the past and only They Hunger, US Darkstar, and Poke646 are the ones I always remember being top notch. They were all original HL mods. Don't know if you can play them with HL: Source or not.
I am going to look them up now
electronichamz
git help.

Post by electronichamz »

Maybe its the same mod, but got transferred over to Steam with HL: Source. I don't see those other ones on Steam, but they good be in that Steam Community hub which I don't feel like digging into.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Also, look into Timeline (all 3 of them) and Azure Sheep ( not really sure if those are the exact names ) they just popped into my memory bank as being good as well. The sheep one was like HL: Blue Shift before Blue Shift came out and I vaguely remember it being better.
electronichamz
git help.

Post by electronichamz »

Are these old school mods? FUCK

Speaking of old school games.....

I want to put a bunch of my old games on this computer. I haven't had the motivation to do it yet. Do I just need to get something like DAEMON TOOLS, burn an ISO of the disc, use the CD key and that's it? No discs necessary after that? Because I would really love to get ASS DEEP into the first Neverwinter Nights.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

electronichamz wrote:Are these old school mods? FUCK

Speaking of old school games.....

I want to put a bunch of my old games on this computer. I haven't had the motivation to do it yet. Do I just need to get something like DAEMON TOOLS, burn an ISO of the disc, use the CD key and that's it? No discs necessary after that? Because I would really love to get ASS DEEP into the first Neverwinter Nights.
Yeah, old as in 1999-2001 maybe old. Not sure I'd ever go back and play them now, but I do have the original HL on steam as well as source, so anything is possible.

As for the other question, lets let Jame or some one more savy answer that. I really haven't fooled around with getting old games to run on the PC outside of arcade and 80's-90's console games. Anything else I let GOG or Steam do the work for me.