The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
User avatar
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Posts: 14313
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:53 pm
Location: ???

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:27 am

just played the DSII beta for about 45 minutes.

the first thing i noticed was that the game felt...different. but in a good way. it's just the new engine. but it feels just like the other games, just smoother?

difficulty was as to be expected. grunts were easy enough and so was backstabbing, but when you get to the giant dual-scythe wielding enemies, it gets pretty damn tough. the 'get really close and strafe to the right' move doesn't seem to be as effective this time around either. i messed around with a few of the classes, but i didn't really want to spoil anything for the actual game.

the other thing i noticed was that the armour and clothing look way more badass. more than likely just showing off for the beta, but they looked cool.

pretty :tup:
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
User avatar
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Posts: 14313
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:53 pm
Location: ???

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:33 am

I couldn't put my finger on what felt different, now that I think about it, but the game feels more arcadey. higher frame rate, a tad floaty feeling. probably just the new engine. will take some getting used to
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer
Posts: 5569
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:30 am

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:40 am

Ours isn't that OG - it's the one after that which doesn't have the faux wood panelling - plus it came with the kinda long controller - river raid, chopper command and pitfall all work...
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
User avatar
copstache
Total Recluse
Posts: 22954
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:29 pm
Location: http://420.moe/

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:05 pm

valgalder wrote:also even common famicom carts are going up in price.. it's crazy. I think hit-japan still sells HUGE boxes of random famicom carts that go for pretty cheap. Good way to have an instant collection of games for the thing.. I thought about doing it, but I know i'd be stuck with a ton of super japanese games that are unplayable.. but whatever. These days i'm more about keeping / buying games that I actually enjoy.
good tip. strongly considering hitting them up for one of those 100 famicom game boxes

and yeah, 3do was a pretty good purchase. again, it plays backups so on top of the like 3 legit games i have, i have about 50 more burned. and it only cost me like $150 with two controllers. cd-i is a novelty thing. if i saw it for a good price i'd have one just because it's stupid.

now you want to talk stupid expensive for no good reason, tg16/pc engine. wtf is up with the used prices on those things?
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
User avatar
valgalder
Wandering Johnny!
Posts: 6970
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: chicago

Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:41 pm

copstache wrote: ..now you want to talk stupid expensive for no good reason, tg16/pc engine. wtf is up with the used prices on those things?
Are you talking about Hu Cards or TG16/DUO stuff? I got most of my TG16 collection very cheap in the late 90's, many complete with boxes. I haven't really kept up with that market though.

Duo hardware is ALWAYS expensive.. it's something I always wanted to get into collecting, but yeah prices have been going steadily up over the past 15 years. US stuff especially because it's less common than the Japanese because it wasn't nearly as popular here, so you're better off importing. Duo reminds me a lot of the Saturn as in most of the best games never left Japan. If you dont' mind CDrs though, Duo plays them fine also so that's cool at least. So many amazing games on that thing though.. especially if you're into shooters.
Skyclun wrote: Explain to me how I'm dumb for not knowing how PayPal works.
User avatar
copstache
Total Recluse
Posts: 22954
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:29 pm
Location: http://420.moe/

Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:50 pm

both hardware and hu cards. and at this point I'd only really want a turbo duo. maybe one day.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
User avatar
copstache
Total Recluse
Posts: 22954
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:29 pm
Location: http://420.moe/

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:35 pm

game of the generation is retarded. i see people talking about that and it covers 8 damn years.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
User avatar
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber
Posts: 4714
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:12 am

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:40 pm

whoops
Last edited by Spooky Apparition on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber
Posts: 4714
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:12 am

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Pisscubes wrote:I know it's not smiled on by anyone who doesn't post in this thread, but come december, I think we should have a "best game of the year" and/or "best game of the generation" thread. We can have people put forth nominees, vote on 'em, make cases, etc.

I think it would be fun.
supported. I think it should be top 5/10 generation though
User avatar
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)
Posts: 9908
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:02 pm

super mario galaxy
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
User avatar
riley-o
beautiful distorted postblazing
Posts: 38657
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: Inside Crystal Mouvntain
Contact:

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:03 pm

copstache wrote:game of the generation is retarded. i see people talking about that and it covers 8 damn years.
I definitely see your point but it's Dark Souls
NO WUM CAM BEEP MAYYG BUX

HUG TERROR SQUAD FOREVER
User avatar
elephants gerald
New Member
Posts: 2095
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:09 pm

I'd probably take demon's souls over dark souls...but it's close. and yeah galaxy is certainly nearby
User avatar
riley-o
beautiful distorted postblazing
Posts: 38657
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: Inside Crystal Mouvntain
Contact:

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:48 pm

Sam just shut up for once man
NO WUM CAM BEEP MAYYG BUX

HUG TERROR SQUAD FOREVER
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Posts: 9522
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:33 am
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:04 pm

Mario Galaxy is a game I want to love but I just hate the Wii's nunchuck remote so soooo much. If Nintendo re-releases it in the future where I can play it with a human controler I'm first in line to buy it.

Best games I played in 2013 were PS1 games.
User avatar
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______
Posts: 18307
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: just a-passin' thru

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:45 pm

Demon's Souls seconded.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
User avatar
riley-o
beautiful distorted postblazing
Posts: 38657
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: Inside Crystal Mouvntain
Contact:

Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:09 pm

Get motherfucking real.
NO WUM CAM BEEP MAYYG BUX

HUG TERROR SQUAD FOREVER
User avatar
FVBTVS
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Posts: 14746
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:14 pm

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:31 am

:lol: :lhug:
Chad wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:01 pm
cool dudes like us
User avatar
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______
Posts: 18307
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: just a-passin' thru

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:15 am

Obviously Dark Souls is going to win because more people played it. Xbros and Riley with his completely baffling hatred for Demon's Souls that he himself can't even explain.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
User avatar
riley-o
beautiful distorted postblazing
Posts: 38657
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: Inside Crystal Mouvntain
Contact:

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:21 am

I DON'T LIKE THE LEVELS
NO WUM CAM BEEP MAYYG BUX

HUG TERROR SQUAD FOREVER
User avatar
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______
Posts: 18307
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: just a-passin' thru

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:36 am

They're not that different, the real significant difference is that it's all tied together with a hub and teleportation. And I'm in complete agreement that the way the Dark Souls world map is put together is fucking amazing, it's just that that's far from being the only thing that's good about these games - #1 for me is the combat, and that's practically unchanged from Demon's Souls. So I'd have to credit it with that over Dark Souls. And then, and this is the big one for me, there's the fact that Dark Souls, like many game sequels, was pointlessly cluttered with too many spells, too many weapons, too many armors, too many upgrade paths. Everything in Demon's Souls was fine-tuned to a specific purpose and typically balanced against something else; Dark Souls just has more of everything for no reason except to have more of everything.

So Dark Souls has the open world structure and the fact that the bow is less of a win button for boss fights, and that's about it. Everything else was either already there in Demon's Souls, or it was better.

We also have to stop now because I really don't want to criticize Dark Souls any more than this. I'm just sayin'.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
User avatar
riley-o
beautiful distorted postblazing
Posts: 38657
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:05 pm
Location: Inside Crystal Mouvntain
Contact:

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:59 am

So the gameplay's the same and the world you play in is way tittyfucking better. But there's TOO MANY spells and weapons without enough explanation.. ? And that makes it a worse game somehow. Fuck.
NO WUM CAM BEEP MAYYG BUX

HUG TERROR SQUAD FOREVER
User avatar
elephants gerald
New Member
Posts: 2095
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:13 am

gameplay is NOT the same. play them back to back. demon's souls is faster, I think the combat is more satisfying (even if parrying and backstabbing aren't perfect). also the music in demon's souls is WAY fucking better. and it was harder, even with the quicker combat. and the item burden shit shouldn't have been taken out. there are definitely things that I like better about dark souls (the open world is amazing), but it's not quite enough.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer
Posts: 5569
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:30 am

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:23 am

I lean toward Demons Souls because it gave me the biggest sense of achievement this generation in finishing it.

I love Dark Souls a lot as well - really this is like a choice of where to blow after I chased this hot seemingly unobtainable chick for years during school and ended up banging when I visited her at uni - blowing in her mouth or on her tits - both are immensely satisfying and enjoyable - but the first time was in her mouth and after she had made it so hard to chase for so long it was all the sweeter.

Now she had an amazing rack and at 20 her tits were literally unbelievable - and blowing on them the second time we fucked after the relative shorter first time was also amazing - but I had already fucked her - y'know?

She swallowed too by the way so I share your other threads call on its no big deal to get a swallower but I digress - game of the year for me while I really enjoyed the variety and had a great time with three characters on GTA V I gotta give to the last of us as it was just fucking awesome.

Having owned and loved games on all the current gens consoles I gotta give the PS3 the console of the generation gong - when I compare what 70 bucks of PS+ gets me compared to Live and the exclusives of the PS3 - neatly demonstrated in that Demon Souls was PS3 exclusive and for free on PS+ a few months ago - plus blu ray - its my favourite and if I was to,compare the generation of consoles using the above analogy - I would say the Xbox was her mouth, the ps3 her pussy and the Wii her arse as while I enjoyed the arse I got, I just didn't play with it as often as the other two.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
User avatar
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot
Posts: 13943
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:14 am

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:44 am

elephants gerald wrote:also the music in demon's souls is WAY fucking better.
Image
Pisscubes wrote:Is there anything left that's coming out this year that people are stoked about?

I guess I mean complete games-- I'm very, very excited for Bioshock: Burial at Sea tomorrow!!!
I might wait until the second part of that is released. I kind of want X-COM: Enemy Within but will try to clear up some of this stupid backlog before any new game purchases. Next game I'm excited for is....I have no idea. Wasteland 2? Hopefully that comes out early 2014.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
User avatar
elephants gerald
New Member
Posts: 2095
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:58 am

I don't understand what the problem is with talking about the music in these games? maybe you don't agree with me, but I doubt it's that...I just played dark souls and can barely remember any of the themes from that game. just because the music is spare in these games doesn't mean that it didn't shape my experience enormously- and the demon's souls music had way more going on. dark souls had a different composer, didn't have the same vibe.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7T05Lm9 ... 79C8B336EF<

or just the fucking nexus...
Post Reply