Big & Beautiful Thread of Sizeisms

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Re: Big & Beautiful Thread of Sizeisms

Post by Cryptoplasty »

Black people have enough things to worry about....like being black.
Toilet Fleet wrote:dogs are shit tbqh
oh wow youre loyal, you know who else was loyal, fuckin goebbels
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Its silly when people get all sanctimonious about their lofty pet projects as long as its in their comfort zone. Gonna raise hell in the MET eh? Not...gonna do any outreach work in harlem....eh?
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
Advances>|<MONKEY
Keep it thick...

Post by Advances>|<MONKEY »

I don't see what that has to do with anything. They where unsatisfied spectators who wanted a more diverse serving of art. That they did that at the Whitney Biennial is amazingly hilarious. Any sort of coordinated movement, or breach of typical art museum looking protocol very much counts as 'storming' a place like that, the same way it would in a church. Leaflets? In a museum? Shitting on the floor in a space like that is less transgressive. That's the exact type of responses museum dorks ACHE for. That is why museums actually exist, the tourists looking at waterlilies just pay the bills. Last time I was at the whitney they had a literal clown going around insulting the art.

Anyway:

http://kff.org/other/state-indicator/ad ... ate-by-re/

Which is why I asked about race because look at those stats.
I am going to indulge in a bit of jargoneering.

Those stats look 'troublesome' which is like a stage below 'problematic' now. But even vaguer!
Last edited by Advances>|<MONKEY on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I AM THE LONE RANGER" = Donald Trump.
Advances>|<MONKEY
Keep it thick...

Pisscubes wrote:
Ghost Dad wrote:Its silly when people get all sanctimonious about their lofty pet projects as long as its in their comfort zone. Gonna raise hell in the MET eh? Not...gonna do any outreach work in harlem....eh?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just also can't wrap my head around these people saying there needs to be a "dialogue" about black people and then, they themselves, apparently don't invite any. What, they'd just get in the way?

They almost certainly adressed these issues as such:
We are going to do the most public thing we have ever done, we can't outright go and find black women to join us because that would be some sort of tokenism/demographics.

Likewise, going up to the south bronx or flatbush or whever the fuck the black people are here is paternalistic as fuck. If there are people doing things up there, which is not going to known to them, they won't be needing the cast of girls for support. Plus that sort of person is already doing TONS of outreach in harlem
Last edited by Advances>|<MONKEY on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Pisscubes wrote:Is there a correlation between the most obese people and poverty? I'm assuming there's a study.
If that's true (and from over here, living on another continent and armed with nothing but anecdotal evidence, I hereby declare it is), I have to say that's really a uniquely American thing. I had a conversation a while back on Facebook where someone had to explain to me that in the US, a frozen pizza is actually cheaper than the raw ingredients to make the same pizza. I really can't wrap my brain around that, no matter how I look at it. When you process food, it somehow becomes cheaper? There's really no other explanation here than the food industry manipulating the market so you'll buy the shit they want you to buy, and of course the end result is fat people.

I'm not saying any of this to excuse the fats from being fats who either need to educate themselves about the garbage they're shoving in their faces (or stop pretending that they don't know it's bad for them), but it does explain why you guys are so far ahead of us with the first world obesity epidemic. We're getting there too, but at least a tomato, some flour and a bit of cheese don't cost more than a frozen pizza here, so it's a BIT easier. Nobody goes to McDonald's to save money on food here.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Advances>|<MONKEY
Keep it thick...

||||||
im too lazy to find it but there is which i think ive outright read 'somewhere' is whats up with the black people fatass stats.

It's the conventional wisdom. As you point out, this 'dialog' has nothing to do with black people, or even the concept of race at all. It has to do with how society itself functions on a deeper level and how, with the economic genocide of the middle class as a real political force, how middle class people like these art-agitators are forced to use social means to visibly express their social status. It used to be these fuckers would be buying the art.

It's taboo to say 'I am a better person than you because my parents took me to a museum' but it's only vaguely 'not ok' to say 'holy shit the musem I know and love doesn't have enough black art, I need to put myself at risk of arrest to change that!." Note that many will proudly state that 'they never went into no museum" as some sort of badge of volkishness. That's a bad sign and it benefits only the elite that people are proud eat "micky ds" but are ashamed of starbucks coffee. The elite and their pathetic authoritarian underlings who want fifty guns to defend their 2/3rds of an infertile acre, which makes them aristocracy you see.

Western culture has sort of made being bourgeoisie taboo, when it was the fucking Bourgeoisie themselves who built western culture. Fuck that shit, if you want to troll people like your professor, just point out that their lives alone are worth more than fifty hick families. It breaks their little brains to think of themselves like that.
Advances>|<MONKEY
Keep it thick...

spacehamster wrote:stuff
You have to outright dig though HUGE amounts of bullshit to get at any decent nutrition information. If you are dependent on TV for your info about the world you are basically fucked period. The best you will get is small segments on local news or morning shows about the latest fad diets, or a half reported story 'study links thing to thing YOU HAVE TO EAT THIS THING NOW ALL THE TIME, now heres an ad for this things industry association.' maybe things are different now, but I doubt it.

Also, as for processed pizza, a huge amount of processed food here is prossesed in china. I've read that most chicken people eat is grown in the us, shipped to china, the initial processing is done, then its frozen again and shipped back here. Because of the shipping/labor costs involved this is actually cheaper than doing everything in the US.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

Pisscubes wrote:
Advances>|<MONKEY wrote:Are any FA people black?
You will find most of the people equating FA with things like the Civil Rights movements are educated, middle-class white females.
Like Crypto hinted at (black people gotta worry about being black), I do think the people who need advocacy (or would benefit most from it) are going to be those who are busy struggling to survive, so the privileged (read: white) people end up running the show. They also have all institutionalized power boost. This is why, sort of counter-intuitively, the WOC intersectionalists spend all their time yelling about inclusion of their issues; their numbers and resources are too scant to allow them to do the activism themselves. So instead they demand that white people take them into consideration. It's not actually as obnoxious as it sounds.

This "activism from a position of power" thing reminds me of a recent event in science-land. A guy at my school got the Nobel Prize, and his first announcement to follow was that he would no longer publish in these ivory tower journals that are immensely powerful in shaping the direction of science, at a pretty severe cost (labor, not $$$) to those attempting to publish in said journals. There was a lot of backlash along the lines of "oh, easy for YOU to say... you've already made it to the top using the elite journals, but NOW that you've got your prize, you're opting out?" I think that response is not valid, because... like I said above... the activism is less likely to be carried out by those struggling to survive. If a system tends to render people powerless, they tend to be powerless to change said system.
Pisscubes wrote:Is there a correlation between the most obese people and poverty? I'm assuming there's a study.
There's a mountain of evidence. I tried to bring this up to examine the practical limits of people's access to pursuit of happiness in modern USA, but I guess you were too excited about your precious black people :tup2:

from
http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/co ... /2667.full
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

spacehamster wrote:If that's true (and from over here, living on another continent and armed with nothing but anecdotal evidence, I hereby declare it is), I have to say that's really a uniquely American thing. I had a conversation a while back on Facebook where someone had to explain to me that in the US, a frozen pizza is actually cheaper than the raw ingredients to make the same pizza. I really can't wrap my brain around that, no matter how I look at it. When you process food, it somehow becomes cheaper? There's really no other explanation here than the food industry manipulating the market so you'll buy the shit they want you to buy, and of course the end result is fat people.
It's amazing. I don't understand all the logic behind it either. A few contributing factors I feel pretty confident about:
(1) Subsidies make certain crops/grains extra cheap. The corn is subsidised, which results in dirt-cheap sweetener (corn syrup), which makes "tasty" junk food extremely cheap.
(2) The mechanization/centralization/industrialization of food does save money. When everything has an eternal shelf-life, it's simply more convenient to store & sell than fresh food is. 7/11-style corner stores are actually a source of meals for people.
(-) I could go into a massive list of other reasons that poor people tend to be obese, but that's off the topic!

Recent real-life experience... friends & I had a blast of nostalgic craving for a Star Crunch. It's a little snack cake thing that, if my brain were off, I could easily eat three of. We picked them up for $0.50 at a corner store. (Despite the titanic shelf-life, they still managed to be past the sell-by date.) Half a buck and each one packs 290 Calories. This means you can get your daily caloric needs met on $3.50.
:yerma:
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

And if we're REALLY into intersecting, check out race vs. gender. vs. obesity in USA:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... ty/281434/

fat rich guys and poor fat women :confused:
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Advances>|<MONKEY wrote:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
It's the conventional wisdom. As you point out, this 'dialog' has nothing to do with black people, or even the concept of race at all. It has to do with how society itself functions on a deeper level and how, with the economic genocide of the middle class as a real political force, how middle class people like these art-agitators are forced to use social means to visibly express their social status. It used to be these fuckers would be buying the art.

It's taboo to say 'I am a better person than you because my parents took me to a museum' but it's only vaguely 'not ok' to say 'holy shit the musem I know and love doesn't have enough black art, I need to put myself at risk of arrest to change that!." Note that many will proudly state that 'they never went into no museum" as some sort of badge of volkishness. That's a bad sign and it benefits only the elite that people are proud eat "micky ds" but are ashamed of starbucks coffee. The elite and their pathetic authoritarian underlings who want fifty guns to defend their 2/3rds of an infertile acre, which makes them aristocracy you see.

Western culture has sort of made being bourgeoisie taboo, when it was the fucking Bourgeoisie themselves who built western culture. Fuck that shit, if you want to troll people like your professor, just point out that their lives alone are worth more than fifty hick families. It breaks their little brains to think of themselves like that.
:tup: :tup: :tup: I nominate you for board poet laureate (NB: accepting guarantees unfavorable posthumous comparison to hitler)
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

Necrometer wrote:Half a buck and each one packs 290 Calories. This means you can get your daily caloric needs met on $3.50.
:yerma:
I know this because I had one on Sunday: Red Baron frozen pizza: $3.50, 1,600 calories :shock:

SH, are natural/unprocessed ingredients cheaper where you are, or are processed foods just way more expensive? I suppose it's possible to make a homemade pizza for $3.50 in the US, but you'd have to use some shitty ingredients/basically no toppings and already have stuff on hand. I think the reasons for that price comparison is what Ross said, plus the insane economies of scale food companies in the US operate at.

back to semi-on topic: I worked at a grocery store for a long time, and a vast majority of people who paid using foodstamps were visibly overweight but still buying shitty food because, at that time anyway, they could buy more of that type of food, and hence more calories, with foodstamps than if they were buying a bunch of fresh produce or whatever. obviously they didn't need all those calories, but I think people on a super limited budget tend to want to err on the side of having more than enough.
RY4N
Unquestionable Presence

Post by RY4N »

theres a pizza chain that will make someone a pizza, but not bake it. they are allowed to accept food stamps because its not cooked.
RY4N
Unquestionable Presence

Post by RY4N »

Spooky Apparition wrote:
a vast majority of people who paid using foodstamps were visibly overweight but still buying shitty food because, at that time anyway, they could buy more of that type of food, and hence more calories, with foodstamps than if they were buying a bunch of fresh produce or whatever. obviously they didn't need all those calories, but I think people on a super limited budget tend to want to err on the side of having more than enough.

people that are obese just dont know how to cook. its easier to buy processed food and heat or combine processed foods to make one meal then it is to take ingredients and make a meal. you can buy frozen chicken and frozen vegetables and brown rice for the same amount of money but that takes work to prepare. which is probably why theyre obese in the first place.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

RY4N wrote:people that are obese just dont know how to cook. its easier to buy processed food and heat or combine processed foods to make one meal then it is to take ingredients and make a meal. you can buy frozen chicken and frozen vegetables and brown rice for the same amount of money but that takes work to prepare. which is probably why theyre obese in the first place.
having a working, well-stocked kitchen is more likely if you're not broke. so is having time to cook (including the initial investment of learning to cook), which overlaps with the luxury of having a stay-at-home parent, not working two jobs etc.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

RY4N wrote:you can buy frozen chicken and frozen vegetables and brown rice for the same amount of money but that takes work to prepare.
for the same amount as what? you could definitely buy a TV dinner with those same components for less money than a decent sized chicken breast alone, at least around here. unless you're buying bottom of the barrel $3/lb chicken pumped full of all kinds of shit, in which case you're probably better off not eating that to begin with.

I mean yeah of course it's easier to do that and laziness plays a role, but the insane cheapness of processed stuff is what I was talking about. plus what Ross just said.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Spooky Apparition wrote: SH, are natural/unprocessed ingredients cheaper where you are, or are processed foods just way more expensive? I suppose it's possible to make a homemade pizza for $3.50 in the US, but you'd have to use some shitty ingredients/basically no toppings and already have stuff on hand.
Processed foods are more expensive. Nobody here buys this stuff because it's cheap, they buy it because it's more convenient than making a proper meal or because they can't cook. Fresh produce is still relatively expensive compared to, say, pasta or bread, so when I decided to lose weight and start eating better a while back, my grocery expenses went up pretty significantly. But it's readily available - pretty much every grocery store has a produce section, and it's typically the first section you walk through. The only places that don't have produce are the really shitty ones that are basically liquor stores in disguise that just keep a few shelves full of food and laundry detergent to maintain appearances.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
RY4N
Unquestionable Presence

Post by RY4N »

food stamps would cover the cost of stocking your kitchen with pantry staples. cooking for me has always been trial and error, if it didnt taste good i just covered it in hot sauce and ate it anyway.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

If there's one thing my parents did right, it's the fact that we never had white bread at home. I don't even like it now, or almost any bread that's sweet. Rye or any kind of whole grain all day. And the stuff that passes for bread in the US, seriously... if there's one thing I can't stand about going to the States, it's how hard it is to get actual bread. How do you guys eat this shit? It's like cotton candy with crust.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

spacehamster wrote:If there's one thing my parents did right, it's the fact that we never had white bread at home. I don't even like it now, or almost any bread that's sweet. Rye or any kind of whole grain all day. And the stuff that passes for bread in the US, seriously... if there's one thing I can't stand about going to the States, it's how hard it is to get actual bread. How do you guys eat this shit? It's like cotton candy with crust.
haha yeah. wherever I am, after three or four weeks I'm starting to look forward to getting back to Germany so I can eat delicious whole grain bread again. I couldn't live without it
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

We don't even grow grain that you can make good real whole grain bread from
I tried to find something about what i'm talking about but I can't find it
Image Certified Poster
Whiffleball Ace
Map, Monitor, Surge

Post by Whiffleball Ace »

I'm starting to realize that for many people who meet this specific criteria - obese and poor - overeating or just eating nothing but high fat, high sugar garbage has more to do with the chemicals in the brain rather than the chemicals in the food. I see it too often with many of my students (I've left the hallowed halls of the elite at the community college and I currently run a GED project for low-income youth 17-21). Many of them, while devastatingly poor, do have choices throughout the day to either purchase a meal with food stamps (or in some cases with ill-gotten cash) or receive a free, healthy meal at the soup kitchen directly behind our building. All of them, however, will opt for doughnuts or McDonald's on a daily basis. I watched one girl eat an entire bag (6) of jelly doughnuts ( not your tiny Hostess doughnuts, but big, heavy, gelatinous-sugar stuffed and dusted doughnuts). I was fascinated and sick to my stomach at the same time. What I noticed, though, is that many of these kids have some form of traumatic or abusive history. They had horrible experiences as children and at some point they found direct access to the brain's pleasure center through food. It felt good to eat a piece of chocolate or some salty chips or some deep fried meat. This means a lot when you spend most of your time feeling bad because your life sucks. In many cases, I think being fat is not much different than being a drunk.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Good posts all around. So much I want to say in this thread... :x
THE KILL wrote:
spacehamster wrote:If there's one thing my parents did right, it's the fact that we never had white bread at home. I don't even like it now, or almost any bread that's sweet. Rye or any kind of whole grain all day. And the stuff that passes for bread in the US, seriously... if there's one thing I can't stand about going to the States, it's how hard it is to get actual bread. How do you guys eat this shit? It's like cotton candy with crust.
haha yeah. wherever I am, after three or four weeks I'm starting to look forward to getting back to Germany so I can eat delicious whole grain bread again. I couldn't live without it
Are you guys talking about that dense, damp, grainy, crumbly "bread"? Or do you like that stuff? Like this:

If you think that's better than a baguette, you are nuts. And I can't even imagine assembling a proper sandwich with that stuff as substrate. It works with just some mustard and a slice of meat, but beyond that... disintegration!
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

ahahahaha that guy's faces