One Of Many Accounts

Re: True Detective (HBO)

Post by elephants gerald »

he was conway twitty!
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

On Sunday night's episode of True Detective, Ray Velcoro (Colin Farrell) and Ani Bezzerides (Rachel McAdams) visit a film set presided over by the worst person on in the world: In a few scant minutes of screen time, we learned that the film's director is an alcoholic prima donnawho alienated his crew and got mixed up in sex-party shenanigans that led to the death of a local politician. Oh yeah, and this horrible man just so happens to bear a clear resemblance to former True Detective director Cary Fukunaga, all the way down to his distinctive hairstyle. Assuming this wasn't just an unfortunate coincidence — and in the world of True Detective, there are no coincidences — this sequence should go down as the most passive aggressive TV scene of 2015.
:fp:
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

elephants gerald wrote:he was conway twitty!

fuck yeah
formerly ghost boner
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

How clunky is this show? Eternal BUH.
No Cunting Elves
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

FVBTVS wrote:so was that one long haired gay guy also in the first season? memory be fuuucked guy?

edit: it isn't :?
Asked myself the same thing the same way :lol: Johnny Joan
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

so seriously guiz.... what's ya'lls rating for season 2 thus far?
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

I dunno but HK64 said it was clunky. I tend to agree. The last scene in yesterday's episode should NOT have ended with VInce Vaughn. Getting tired of that whiny shit. The meat of the episode was with the chick and mustache...
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
Fields of Shit
Keep it thick...

Post by Fields of Shit »

Look at that lighthouse. That's the ultimate expression of phallocentric technocracy violating Mother Sky.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

I guess not every show is Designing Woman and Golden Girls, ladies.

Vince Vaughn continues to puzzle me as to why he was cast. Name recognition? Him and Woody Harrelson are like this *crosses fingers*? I'm not against him outside of this, but he's been doing the comedy film circuit so long now that I'm just waiting for him to attempt to crack a joke. I'm thinking is character goes full on Frank Booth (in keeping with the almost Lynch tone of the season) and he just really nailed that aspect of the character in auditions.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i'm whiddlin them down..

I have 8 children.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

Rue McClanahan would've made that dick hard.
No Cunting Elves
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Fields of Shit wrote:Image
This instantly makes me appreciate the season 200% more, mostly because she's completely right.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
elephants gerald
One Of Many Accounts

Post by elephants gerald »

do these people want all films and television shows to be set in perfectly egalitarian societies filled with characters who are sensitive to gender issues? this isn't fucking entourage, and the women on this show aren't all hollow sex accessories. shrill like a fucking smoke alarm
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

they dont even know what they want anymore

I have 8 children.
Wormholegenerator
The 7000 Club

Post by Wormholegenerator »

doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Hasn't there been equal screen time for flaky crappy cult leader dad and how his crappy life affected the kids? Bad people in bad circles - shit fruits dropping not far from the shit tree etc?
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
BUNGVOX

Post by BUNGVOX »

spacehamster wrote:
Fields of Shit wrote:Image
This instantly makes me appreciate the season 200% more, mostly because she's completely right.
i want to punch her square in the tits.
ThePhillyExperiment
ultimate EVIL

Post by ThePhillyExperiment »

The best scenes are the overhead helicopter shots with the unsettling music. I guess the theme of this season is characters reverting back to how they previously were. (Bouncing eyeballs Vaughn as a gangster, the mustache being a good cop, gay Taylor Kitsch going back to being gay.) Channeling Twin Peaks in the beginning was pretty embarrassing. That mayor is such a beautiful asshole.

Waiting for Kitsch to finally start sucking some balls Black Mountain angrily.
brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

The show would be a lot better if they cut out Frank and angry queer cop.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

I just got caught up. Maybe watching with the subtitles is to blame but holy fuck is every single character on this show overwritten. The four leads all have full-on Nick Pizza logorrhea, and the same goes for every side character with the exception of those lucky enough to speak in broken english (ethnic style). "cool" slang is shoehorned in wherever possible and it gives me chills like listening to middle schoolers toss out "flog the dolphin" stingers. I guess Vince Vaughn's wife seems sorta human but that's about it. even the goddamned set photographer twerp had to throw in some line like "guess my gig doesn't score me an invite to the DL shindig" SHUT UP

RAY - no, this is NOT "what we get" for seeing that the heart of S1 was the characters as opposed to the occult window dressing. this season is a MASSIVE departure in terms of characters/relationships - it's just near-random pairings of people in assorted settings delivering an endless stream of exposition in service of a needlessly convoluted story, all shrouded in a haze of corny nu-noir lingo. even Rust was naturalistic most of the time, and when he was parroting Ligotti it was a sort of formal thing where Marty pulls up a proverbial chair to take in his loopy, mentally-rehearsed rant. the dialogue this season has clearly never felt the gaze of an editor and it's an affected disaster.

I sort of felt like a mark since I took those portrait+quote parodies to be real, but at this point it doesn't matter since the bummer reality they hinted at is clearly underway

I'm happy you guys are mostly having fun. I kinda hate LA so maybe that's coloring things excessively for me, but holy shit this has been a rough ride so far. it's a flashback to the 2006 Rocky movie where every single character, from young boy to bartender chick, has the brain-dead diction of Sly Stallone.

also the punctuations of poorly motivated xtreem violence feel more than a little :wank:

oh! and how fucked is the set decoration for Caspere's place? they basically tossed in any sexually explicit piece of art they could find... one painting looked like a Baroness cover :betternotstartanyshit:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
:false:
Last edited by Necrometer on Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

episode sucked. season sucks.

jonesin for that sweet, sweet second season of The Leftovers...
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

Yeah yeah yeah I said that after the second episode and I was just having fun with all the Pizzalotoisms

But last season was perfectly rounded between story and characters and this season seems to be only interesting when the characters are crackin on the case which is semi-interesting

and it's brought to you by the same people mostly so regardless of what I say and what you want this is what you get, motherfucker.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

:tup: I'm thinking more and more that Coney Fukushima had as much or more to do with the S1 appeal TO ME than NP did

the thing I'm missing most is all the comedy - Rust doing a loopy rant and Marty getting all salty was completely essential. not sure what's supposed to be filling that void now, especially since we won't get to look at the sad fat kid anymore
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I still like the droning, oppressive aesthetic and the fact that it's even more unabashedly penisy than the last season, but yeah, this Sunday's episode was pretty fucking terrible, and Vince Vaughn is unsalvageable. I'll probably watch the rest of it anyway, but at this point I'm not sure what there is to see beyond Rachel McAdams looking hot in tomboy clothes.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.