A little dose of Louis CK for ya...

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Oculus
Morbid Florist

Re: A little dose of Louis CK for ya...

Post by Oculus »

It's only $5, so the better stuff probably covers that (the forklift, the tap-dancing) but most of it was not good and nothing felt intimate, just awkward like hey, I don't have to try really hard here.

It's a goofy set that's unlike the way he usually tells stories and delivers the punchline after doing a circle 8. Instead everything kinda of went nowhere and highlighted the weaker parts of his normal act. So I don't know what was so great apart from a few good bits. The "shocking" shit about rat fucking, dead babies and texting his daughter high was lame and the constant pointing out of the awkward segues and the way he's moving on stage with the faggy guy / white teenage New Yorker frappuccino voice got annoying as fuck when he did it during every other bit filling time. Wanted to see more of Jay London.

How was it more self-deprecating than his other stand-up though?
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Post by Ray »

It had a lot of his old tricks you mentioned but it didn't get in the way of some pretty good material. I laffed
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

shit ruled. and dude, you are reading way the fuck to much into a stand up special
formerly ghost boner
Oculus
Morbid Florist

Post by Oculus »

There are like 6 years' worth of comments talking about how great such and such joke was executed and how innovative this and that episode was but I'm reading too much into things because that babies on airplanes joke was just so fresh.

It was obviously a different kind of set. Thought some of it was funny, but not at all in the way the last few specials killed it. Also can't help comparing it to the recent Chappelle set from St Louis that keeps getting pulled off youtube where he's on a much bigger stage but is actually interacting with the audience like it's small nightclub.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Oculus wrote: How was it more self-deprecating than his other stand-up though?
There's just more of it because he's talking about himself more. I'm not necessarily disagreeing that the Beacon special was better than this one, but other than the shockingly shitty closer, I thought it was still pretty great, and just because he's made one special that isn't as good as the previous one doesn't mean he's spent.

He may also just be going through a phase where he's more interested in being funny than being deep - he's said as much in the announcement of the new Louie season. And that's fine as long as he's not going to do dead baby jokes for the rest of his career. Not every special has to outdo the "of course, but maybe" routine.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

So, did anyone watch Horace and Pete? I thought it was pretty goddamn glorious. Wrist-slittlingly depressing, but glorious. Loved it.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
This Means War
The Brutality Continues...

Post by This Means War »

Saw him Wednesday night for his new tour. Was practically in tears all night from laughing. Anyone else seeing him?
hard paranormal dong wrote: one of these days im going to upload my fist onto the internet, i just hope one day you accidentally download it.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

I saw him a few years ago and everyone was laughing their asses off at stuff that was more introspective, or storytelling

decided to pass this time around (buoyed by rumors that he's a sexual harasser)
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

going next month. cant fuckn wait. still been meaning to check out horace and pete as well
formerly ghost boner
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

spacehamster wrote:So, did anyone watch Horace and Pete? I thought it was pretty goddamn glorious. Wrist-slittlingly depressing, but glorious. Loved it.
Watched the first episode a long time ago. It was great. Haven't mustered the energy to turn the 2nd one on.
Image Certified Poster
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

he fucking KILLED tonight. got pretty lucky with openers as well. rachel feinsten, joe list and motherfucking todd glass SLAYED. please tell me we were the only crowd that got the water on the phone thing at the beginning of louis' set
formerly ghost boner
Fields of Shit
Keep it thick...

Post by Fields of Shit »

Seeing him tonight
Look at that lighthouse. That's the ultimate expression of phallocentric technocracy violating Mother Sky.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

he's toast :lol:
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i've been thinking that myself :lol:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

holy shit and ten minutes later i get a ny times notification on my phone about him :shock:
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Ms. Corry also received an email from Louis C.K., which was obtained by The Times, saying he owed her a “very very very late apology.” When he phoned her, he said was sorry for shoving her in a bathroom. Ms. Corry replied that he had never done that, but had instead asked to masturbate in front of her. Responding in a shaky voice, he acknowledged it and said, “I used to misread people back then,” she recalled.
"oh - that wasn't you? let me call you back..."
the awesome Assassin
Sweet Lord _______

Post by the awesome Assassin »

Does anyone masturbate alone anymore...
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

anyone who has seen a louis do stand up has seen him masturbate Image
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Duke Fame
Sounds of the Animal Kingdom

Post by Duke Fame »

spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The funny thing is, those stories about him just whipping out his dick in front of people were already making the rounds a few years ago, but nobody cared back then. I guess it's more timely now. Oh well.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Half the "evidence" was addtributed to Jen Kirkman, but then (and reaffirmed now) she wasn't even talking about Louis CK. So they really were just sourceless rumors. - I misinterpreted - JK was talking about him.

I moved from "huh, interesting" to "oh, he probably did do all that stuff" when the Tig Notaro story came out. it's hard think things are more than rumors if literally zero people come forward & name names.

I feel like he (and probably Devin Faraci) have gotten their heads straightened out in the ~decade between doing the inappropriate shit and it coming to light. It's sort of weird because these guys are now put into the category of scumbag predators, but they may well be the best dudes out there in 2017 since they've done their mental penance or whatever. Or maybe I'm projecting...
ghost boner
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by ghost boner »

thread title seems pretty fucked up now
formerly ghost boner
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Pretty funny that he was doing material about what creepy predators men are at the time

HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

https://www.avclub.com/hbo-drops-louis- ... 1820316051

Can I start asking yet whether this is maybe all getting a little out of hand without being called a muhrsurrgener? I mean, if he did do all this shit, and he probably did, sure, he deserves all the hate in the world. But aren't we forgetting that these are basically all unproven allegations at this point, and so if you're famous enough, you can now have your career trashed if ten people band together and decide to tell sexual assault stories about you? I dunno.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

It's definitely a moral panic and the process of crucifixion is definitely moving way too quickly, which is super dangerous. There hasn't been a case yet where I felt as though an innocent person had been wrongly accused, though. Talking celebrities not civilians of course.

I'm curious to see what happens with Louis. I haven't read all of this exhaustively, but it seems as though he asked for consent in at least some of these cases, and that none of it happened before he was terribly successful or powerful.

Zero apologism, some of these stories (if true) absolutely qualify as sexual assault and I wouldn't mitigate that by comparing it to worse cases like Spacey or Weinstein. I am curious how the difference changes the narrative in the court of public opinion, though.

And hopefully real court, because this should go to trial if we want to maintain some sort of distinction between rapists and witches. It can't just become a muscular reflex where you lose your career and reputation as a human because of Twitter without any legal proceedings at all.

I hope I don't regret writing this in a week...
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7