Nerdly Board Games?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Re: Nerdly Board Games?

Post by Necrometer »

I played that for the first time in YEARS at a board game bar/cafe - shit is incredibly toxic and should be banned

there were some good laughs because it was a year ~2000 edition and everything was jazzed up with imagined versions of the internet that would never come to pass. like, you stop on one spot and you have to pay $100,000 for hosting an online concert. what the fuck?
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Steeb
Supreme Hatred

Post by Steeb »

I think I have the new version too. My kid loves to play the grown up game with daddy. I didn't mean for that to sound dirty.
"Thinking about B-ramming your mom, i know she lives out here I'm gonna find her." - Double Anal
"What ever bro I own wine glasses and shit..." - Noah Thirteen
"I actually believe in God." - Lord Beguile

THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Necrometer wrote:the idea of playing that sort of game (and/or D&D or its ilk) is so tantalizing to me but I've come to accept that it's just not going to happen
Ha yeah, especially now that word has gotten around that Kingdom Death is indeed not only awesome for its miniatures alone people pay retarded prices for it. Friend of mine got into it via kickstarter; he says he must have spend a couple of grand on the game already :lol: he has everything for it. I've seen the minis in person, they look just as ridiculously good as you would expect. Friend has played a couple of full campaigns solo and is now in the middle of playing one with his girlfriend; he still raves about the game. Can't say if it's worth 400 dorars, though...

Steeb wrote: Image

Dead of winter is a rad zombie survival game.
It's good, but it's a bit too long IMHO and long before it ends it loses its suspense. I like the traitor mechanic and the fact that you have to bring out the rubbish :lol:
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
Steeb
Supreme Hatred

Post by Steeb »

Haha yeah. The Battlestar Galactica game has the traitor/cylon aspect that makes it super fun too.

"Thinking about B-ramming your mom, i know she lives out here I'm gonna find her." - Double Anal

electronichamz
git help.

Post by electronichamz »

That Kingdom Death: Monster is getting a reprint soon or they are going to Kickstarter a second edition...some shit like that. It won't be nearly that much money. I've read that game is pretty fucking fabulous.
Hostage Grenade II wrote:Plastikman is actually not made of plastic
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Heard lots of good things about the Battlestar Galactica game. It feels strange to me that there's tons of great board games based on film licenses out there; when I was a kid, literally every video game based on a film license was shit, so I would assume the same was true for board games... but nope, lots of awesome shit. All the new Star Wars Games e.g. seem to be fucking dope.

Anyway, went to a board games convention yesterday and played Isle of Skye and King of New York with the wife.
Isle of Skye has a bidding mechanic for board pieces/ pieces of land which, depending on what "mission" cards you use in that particular game and what turn it is give you victory points. Didn't enjoy it much, feels disjointed and like a not very successful mixture of different other games (among else, Carcassonne).
King of New York was alot of fun; it was over in around 20 minutes (it was our first game and we had to stop and check the rules from time to time), so is pretty fast, destroying buldings and collecting fame for it was fun, and I like the graphic design a lot. Has RIchard Garfield ever made a bad or even not awesome game? Robo Rally is one of our all-time favourites, and Magic the gathering of the juggalos is obviously a classic as well.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

hohoho word filter humour
Steeb
Supreme Hatred

Post by Steeb »

THE KILL wrote:Heard lots of good things about the Battlestar Galactica game. It feels strange to me that there's tons of great board games based on film licenses out there; when I was a kid, literally every video game based on a film license was shit, so I would assume the same was true for board games... but nope, lots of awesome shit. All the new Star Wars Games e.g. seem to be fucking dope.
Yeah, I've been turned off by anything licensed in the past just because of the same reason as you.

Played a few short, cool games last night:

Cool party game. Simple, with strategy.

Fun short card game. Simple rules with fun ways to score and subtract your score. It's all about scoring points.

This one was fun and funny. Simple rules. great party game. Stay away from the clean version. Only get the NSFW version.

Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Necrometer wrote:this re-skin actually makes sense - Cthulhu Pandemic:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I think the disease cubes are replaced by cultists :awesome:
got to play this last night - GF and I got fucking annihilated. I'm not sure if any of y'all play Pandemic, but basically the "outbreaks" now correspond to the awakening of Old Ones, and each one of the randomly-ordered cards you flip over has some effect that fucks you over one way or another. so early on we get this modifier so we need an extra card to seal a gate (AKA "cure") - 6 cards to do this and you can only hold 7 cards? thanks for nothing, YIG.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

i have only been playing with family so we have been playing Machi Koro. its a lot of fun.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
electronichamz
git help.

Post by electronichamz »

I always wanted to try out Pandemic but now I am just going to end up getting that Cthulhu Pandemic

Before I departed for THE MOON, I hung out at Streve's house and we played Cave Evil. Its totally OOP, but there is supposedly going to be a reissue. This game is pure fucking black metal. Streve actually made a black metal playlist while we played. The premise of the game is that you are a FUCKING NECROWIZARD and you either have gather resources, cast/subdue monsters for your team and either kill all the opponents or if the you kill the ULTIMATE CAVE EVIL if it awakens. We awakened the Cave Evil and Streve ended up killing it. I had a card that said PUT GORE IN THE PIT. Streve also said the creators of the game were almost up to trading him a copy for some Graveland LPs.

http://www.cave-evil.com/

Seriously, if this game gets reprinted, get it. It was so rad.
Steeb
Supreme Hatred

Post by Steeb »

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

...I want it.

THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Necrometer wrote:Image
I've only played one game of Pandemic with friends but it was great. I still have a gift certificate over 25 bucks for my town's boardgame shop and now I'm seriously tempted to investthat Cthulhu reskin...
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

electronichamz wrote:CAVE EVIL
but is it a good game in itself? the whole BM asthethics is rad, no doubt, but how does it actually play?
electronichamz
git help.

Post by electronichamz »

oh yeah, the game was so fun. You start each turn by drawing a card from one of a few decks. You'll either get a spell or a random event. You need resources to cast your spells which you have to collect the resources. The are GORE, SHADOWFLAME and something else....I think it was a metal. As you cast your spells, most of them are creatures. You can have your creatures excavate new tunnels in the cave which could turn up other things. The game seems like it starts off simple, but they it grows as you explore THE CAVE EVIL.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I've played regular Pandemic a couple dozen times, expansions maybe twice, and Cthulhu version twice. I think the Cthulhu version holds up really, really well. Its mechanics are a bit different, but it still has that awesome intensity of "hey, we're going to make it!" one second and then "fuuuuuuck how did this happen" the next. I mean, we literally lost a game of Pandemic in 10 minutes recently - sure, we were being cocky, but it was just devastating.

Basically, I endorse playing/buying either version "first". The only thing that's sort of ho-hum is the expansions; in my experience they ramp up complexity but not so much for enjoyment/excitement.

Pandemic games are great for sweaty & me since we both tend to be competive; playing a co-op game keeps us from bringing negative energy into the mix...

Finally, the Cthulhu minis are pretty nice - I think I'm actually going to paint them :mrgreen:
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

I got Hero Kids. We only played once so far. I printed out a million paper bad guys and heros, which they kind of suck.
I have a laser cutter at my dad's house, so maybe I can make little wood pieces with the rats etched on.
Image Certified Poster
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Post that shit if you do!

Anyway, played the rather new Conan boardgame last weekend. You choose a scenario from the adventure book; one player takes on the role of overlord, the other player plays three heroes, one of whom is Conan usually. Each side has an objective they have to fulfil (kill one or more characters, find and escape with something important etc.). One important mechanic is the management of your crystals, which are basically action points both sides spend on moving, attacking etc. Obviously there are more mechanics & rules than that, but you quickly get used to them and the game flows well from thenon.
We played three scenarios and each one played very differently/ was an absolute blast. Seriously, it's one of the best boardgames I have ever played: it's tons of fun, the sculpts are fantastic, all the artwork is great (lots of Adrian Smith!), the boards/ levels are well designed. It's not a traditional dungeon delver like Hero Quest, but if you enjoy fantasy games, you need to get this.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Blood Rage - 7/10
Good area control (?) game. It's the end of the world, and you have three rounds to achieve as many glory points as you can (by looting, winning wars, and getting killed yourself) before Ragnarök destroys the world. Amazing sculpts by Mike McVey, rad artwork by Adrian Smith (check out the cover - if that shit doesn't want to make you play the game immediately I don't know what will), good design, fast gameplay, huge amount of options each round. Just not my type of game, I guess, I just prefer dungeon crawlers and similar.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW

Elysium 7/10

Nice card game with wonderful art and a Greek mythology background. You try to form myths out of the cards you aquire over five rounds. Each card has a special effect you can use and is labelled 1 to 3; you can only form a myth out of a complete set of cards of the same colour if you have sent them to Elysium, which means you have to spend gold and lyras, of which you only get two or three at most per round. Great theme, good flow, lots of tactical options each round. Takes about one and a half hours but can be played in a shorter amount of time I guess.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW

Coming up next: Tannhäuser

:bigdog:
Last edited by THE KILL on Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

sorry, double post
duh
evil genius
Zombie Apocalypse

Post by evil genius »

Great game except if someone else was the monk....o_O
"There is no statement so absurd that no philosopher will make it."
Cicero

"Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies."
Aristotle
electronichamz
git help.

Post by electronichamz »

THE KILL wrote: Coming up next: Tannhäuser
I own this and have only played it once. The group I played with didn't seem that interested in this type of game. I need to revisit it sometime with the right group.

I bought Blood Rage before I left for THE MOON FOR A YEAR. TheDOAD and DoubleAnal worship that game.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

electronichamz wrote:
THE KILL wrote: Coming up next: Tannhäuser
I own this and have only played it once.
Do you use the second edition rules? Most people agree the first edition rules/ the rules included in the box are shit and you need to get FFG's rewrite (the printed book sells for idiotic prices, but you can buy a pdf for a fiver here:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_inf ... _id=210075
)

The German version is free :awesome:

electronichamz wrote: I bought Blood Rage before I left for THE MOON FOR A YEAR. TheDOAD and DoubleAnal worship that game.
haha wut. goddamned word filters... yeah I'm totally prepared to admit it's a great game for what it is...
electronichamz
git help.

Post by electronichamz »

No word filters. I am just somewhere I should not really disclose for a year. The version of Tannhäuser I bought came with a free copy of the 2nd edition rules so that is all I have played.
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Right.... have fun in North Korea mate!
Caved in and bought the Dark Souls boardgame with all stretch goals. Can hardly wait to try it out, friends of mine played it at Essen '16 and told me it was awesome.
Tannhäuser's on its way to my house as we speak.

I'm tempted to get Sedition Wars, but I have enough games lying around unplayed already, among else Rackham's Hybrid... BUT one week of autumn holidays is coming up in Bavaria! :beer: :beer: :beer: