Prometheus - Ridley Scott's Alien 'prequel' *SPOILERS*

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Tue May 23, 2017 7:09 pm

edited for full quick rant
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
Ray
ultimate EVIL

Tue May 23, 2017 7:09 pm

worst fucking vern
jefferson wrote:If you want a picture of the future, imagine a palm against a human face... forever.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm

solid mini rant
I agree that the david-as-frankenstein thing is kind of OK on paper

it's more of a dare I say semiotic transgression, vis a vis prometheus

prometheus frames things in terms of infinite regression: engineers made humans made androids and they're all sentient and nobody is safe. we don't know who made the engineers and we don't know who the androids might make, and that's important to establishing the expansive feel. the goo is concentrated devouring chaos, the anti-life, the raw stuff of nihil-beasts, and everyone is vulnerable*. it doesn't fit into this framework in a meaningful way; it's an interloper and usurper, violently and selfishly entropic

covenant presents a closed circle: humans make androids that make aliens that kill humans ... this roshambo stuff is cute but doesn't serve the Cosmic Horror cause as well as the vastness of the promethean framework does. it's too damn tidy. it makes me feel claustrophobic, and not in the "trapped in a room with an alien" way.

*I'll admit that there's a weakness here: androids are not explicitly shown to be prey of the goo-output/alien - but we assume they will be due to bishop's fate. covenant rewrites things when david fearlessly interacts with the neomorph, which annoyingly collapses things into that tripartite ouroboros
Last edited by Necrometer on Tue May 23, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
RY4N
DEICIDEDLY METAL

Tue May 23, 2017 8:14 pm

predator made the engineers!
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Tue May 23, 2017 8:19 pm

ahahaha <3
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Wed May 24, 2017 3:00 am

Ray wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 6:54 pm

Covenant SHOULD have mostly been
Of course I'm fine with all of this stuff being abandoned because Prometheus is a dogshit movie and everything it added to the franchise lore was retarded and misguided, but it does seem an awful lot like Scott just went "fuck it" and started over from scratch again. Wiping out the Engineers in a five-second flashback scene being the best example. It's actually kind of hilarious.
As for better writers, let's face it, Ridley Scott's ego is going to ruin all of this. I don't know if it was here that someone already pointed this out, but he clearly overestimates the degree to which this franchise is his idea (same with Blade Runner), and nobody's going to tell him otherwise because he's Ridley Scott and he can do whatever he damn well pleases. He's going to run it all into the ground. The truth is, for as influential as this thing has been, it was basically dead after Aliens and it should've stayed that way. Even though I'm one of the five people who liked Alien 3.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.