Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Re: Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

the internet is convinced that WW made bank because of a "feminist zeitgeist" :lol:
It did
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

The Image Revolution - 8
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

JAMES I wish I could spoiler quote your nightbreed thoughts but spoilers are long dead so I guess that's not happening

I absolutely feel like nightbreed is better of as an idea, a mystery, a legendary far-off place that you hear about but never really reach. that's a great parallel to Midian actually - the movie initially introduces it as some sort of inverted shangri-la, and for a solid 10 minutes it has this air of intrigue around it. but then it turns out literally everyone knows where Midian is and they'll happily give you directions to the place which is insanely nearby and accessible (take highway 5 for a few miles, turn left at the old filling station, and it'll be on your right)... you walk in and it's just a boring cemetery inhabited by some sad people with facial deformities with no powers beyond biting people to make them have facial deformities also.

so, like I'd advise the main dude in nightbreed not to bother with Midian, I'd advise james of the reeelapse forum to leave nightbreed be.

as someone who has actually seen the movie (although I can only speculate about the original cut), I can completely understand why the extra footage would be so enticing. the movie's sooo close to good, and it's easy to believe that just a few tweaks would save it. sadly, it seems like all the footage and all of the tweaks are unable to rectify things. I guess it's just been molded from oddity to oddity to oddity...
Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:21 pm
the internet is convinced that WW made bank because of a "feminist zeitgeist" :lol:
It did
it's not even really a feminist film. the gender norms and everything are pretty standard, there's just reasonable representation of women and a main character woman. YES a lot of women came out to see this, but... I don't know man. that's not feminism IMO. just like batman movies aren't masculinist (?) or anti-feminist or anything and naturally draw a dude-heavy audience because women are an afterthought.

WW opening weekend was 52% women; BvS was 38% women. people thinking the first number is the result of some sea change almost suggests that people think women shouldn't be going to movies at the same rate sas men... or something?
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Liam Spengler
git help.

Post by Liam Spengler »

Days of Heaven - 10
Ilsa, the Wicked Warden - 7
Death Scenes 1: Manson - 5
Foot Foot
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by Foot Foot »

all the Nightbreed shit (Cabal novel, the movie, the comics from the 90s) is basically Clive Barker's X-Men. it has some sentimental value to me, but it doesn't hold up as much of his other work.

Wonder Woman bored the piss out of me. without the troublesome BDSM elements of her Golden Age incarnation she's just Superman with boobies.
Last edited by Foot Foot on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

Foot Foot wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:57 am

Wonder Woman bored the piss out of me. without the troublesome BDSM elements of her Golden Age incarnation she's just Superman with boobies.
Stop being anti-Semitic.
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
Foot Foot

Post by Foot Foot »

nah i'm all in on Jewish broads.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:16 pmthere's just reasonable representation of women and a main character woman.
I thought that was the point of feminism? Reasonable representation of women? The possibility of a non-sexualized female protagonist who inspires others to follow her because that's also possible for male characters?

The way I see it, this is one of the few things WW did right - it actually pulled this off without being obnoxious about it. And because it's rare that this is attempted and even rarer that it's done well, everyone completely shit themselves and decided to forgive the movie for all its other shortcomings like the paper-thin story, the laughable villains or the hilariously shitty CGI in the action scenes.

I thought it was an ok movie, certainly much better than any DC adaptations that have been done since the last Nolan Batman movie, but it's completely overrated, and reading reviews and other reactions, it's very clear that most of the praise revolves around the fact that feminists liked it. Note that the observation isn't that it's a "feminist film", but that feminists reacted positively to it and that made it successful. I think that's undeniably true. What's funny is that the movie doesn't really seem like it was angling for that.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Liam Spengler
git help.

Post by Liam Spengler »

The Goob - 6
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Fitzcarraldo - 10
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

lord of illusions director's cut 8.3/10

mike, regarding WW's feminisms, I guess it has to do with how you view the status quo & the movie's relationship to it. like, a movie showing a woman voting would be "feminist" 100 years ago, but now... not noteworthy.
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Rebecca - 9
Hoosiers - 6
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:21 pm
mike, regarding WW's feminisms, I guess it has to do with how you view the status quo & the movie's relationship to it. like, a movie showing a woman voting would be "feminist" 100 years ago, but now... not noteworthy.
spacehamster wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:35 amNote that the observation isn't that it's a "feminist film
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Note that the observation isn't that it's a "feminist film", but that feminists reacted positively to it and that made it successful.
right, I don't think there's enough hollywood-going feminists to account for that difference

my argument is that women (not specifically feminists) enjoyed the movie and generated the positive word-of-mouth that gave it the nice long legs at the box office

this is such a dumb argument since it's rooted in the least fun semantics
Liam Spengler
git help.

Post by Liam Spengler »

Killing Them Softly - 4
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Foot Foot wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:57 am Wonder Woman ...without the troublesome BDSM elements
uh troublesome how...
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

justice league 5.5/10 this is really not that bad compared to bvs, even though it's sadder in that it takes no chances and is just doing all it can to be an avengers-type movie. there's an early scene with a muslim woman being terrorized by a white power skinhead guy wearing a hoodie with a death-metal-style logo on it reading MAGAHORDE :lol:
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

La Grande Bouffe - 7
The Relic - 5.5
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

relic! :brokenheart:

little evil 6/10
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

Manchester By the Sea - 9
Foot Foot

Post by Foot Foot »

THE KILL wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:44 am
Foot Foot wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:57 am Wonder Woman ...without the troublesome BDSM elements
uh troublesome how...
sorry... shoulda put that word in quotes.
Foot Foot

Post by Foot Foot »

Necrometer wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:23 pm there's an early scene with a muslim woman being terrorized by a white power skinhead guy wearing a hoodie with a death-metal-style logo on it reading MAGAHORDE :lol:
:awesome:
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Justice League - 7/10

Seems like a lot of people hate this one, but I don't get why. The story's pretty thin and the villain's about as compelling as some of my less interesting bowel movements, but at least it's a story that makes sense, and the characters are all done well. Or maybe my standards for DC movies are so low after BvS that I'll accept just about anything.

Spider-Man Homecoming - 9/10

Jesus Christ, finally someone gets the Spider-Man movie right. And yes, I'm fine with Aunt Marisa.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

spacehamster wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:24 pmOr maybe my standards for DC movies are so low after BvS that I'll accept just about anything.
going in with suuuuuuper low expectations absolutely helped me enjoy this one - similarly low expectations didn't help BvS though
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:04 pmsimilarly low expectations didn't help BvS though
Same here. I watched BvS long after it came out when everyone had already talked about how shitty it was, and it was the extended cut that at least adds a few scenes that kinda-sorta help the story make a little more sense, and it was still so bad that it made me angry.