The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by Spooky Apparition »

spacehamster wrote:when it's at its worst (Shaded Woods, obviously), it's by far the ugliest and makes Demon's Souls look like eff'n Crysis.
agreed. and there are more just plain boring looking areas in DS2 than any of the previous games (like the endless series of square gray rooms known as Lost Bastille). unfortunately a next-gen version won't help that unless they actually do a major upgrade that looks like that original TGS footage. although considering apparently they're going to sell a separate DX11 version on the PC (if it's full price that'd be INSANE) maybe there's a chance that's the case?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:
I'll tend to notice things right when I put the game on for the first time or the first time in a while
This is what happened. After playing Wolfenstein and checking out Tomb Raider on the PS4, I put on DS2 and that first area just hit me in the optics so hard that I couldn't deal with it then. I'm not saying I wasn't going to play it ever, but my eyes just weren't having any of it then. My plan was once I've played through a bunch of the new console games, to go back and play a PSOne or something, and then a Gamecube game, then hit Dark Souls 2. You see, going from brand new to super old isn't as bad to me as going to something newer. Yet, with an XB1 version or whatever, I wont do that.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

the first area does look pretty shitty, worse than most of the game I'd say. I remember when I started I was like, "wtf? how does this look worse than DS1?" but then I got to Majula 10 minutes later and was like :bean:
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Spooky Apparition wrote: but then I got to Majula 10 minutes later and was like :bean:
I didn't get to whatever that is, I'm sure. I was walking around them shitty trees and shitty caves... It was all shitty, and it put me in a shitty mood. Then I shot a Nazi in the head and his face exploded, and it was beautiful, and I just told DS2 that I'd see it again, one day down the road. Now, maybe that road gets reached in April.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

Radical. DS2 got a pass on graphics because no one area of that game had the framerate tank as fucking hard as blighttown did. Fuck that section now and fuck it forever.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Comrade Slinky wrote:Radical. DS2 got a pass on graphics because no one area of that game had the framerate tank as fucking hard as blighttown did. Fuck that section now and fuck it forever.
I understand that these developers have a vision, but when something just doesn't run well it needs to be tweaked. Blighttown was ugly already, I'm sure a corner could have been cut here or there to improve frame rate on that mess.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Valley of Defilement looked worse than anything in DS2.

Namco is going to charge for the PC version when it should be an upgrade. Get the fuck outta here with that. Make me buy the game again when you gimped the initial release? :lol: I'll be occupied with The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne at that time anyways.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Wang Mandu wrote:Namco is going to charge for the PC version when it should be an upgrade. Get the fuck outta here with that. Make me buy the game again when you gimped the initial release? :lol: I'll be occupied with The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne at that time anyways.
it seems insane to me.. is it unprecedented on PC to charge money one year later for what are basically graphical upgrades (considering the PS3/360 get all the non-DLC upgrades for free)? what's the actual difference between DX9 and DX11 in terms of performance? that trailer looks good, but not THAT good. I'll get for it for PS4 regardless though, partly for the graphics/performance and partly for the easy recording/sharing.

WARNING: Far Cry 4 is so huge, my god. and so pretty. and full of fucking asshole eagles. after a few hours with the game, copstache's eagle overkill vids are even better.

and since we can post videos straight to YT now.... some of evil within's enemies are really tough

Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Spooky Apparition wrote:it seems insane to me.. is it unprecedented on PC to charge money one year later for what are basically graphical upgrades (considering the PS3/360 get all the non-DLC upgrades for free)? what's the actual difference between DX9 and DX11 in terms of performance? that trailer looks good, but not THAT good. I'll get for it for PS4 regardless though, partly for the graphics/performance and partly for the easy recording/sharing.
Usually if it's just performance upgrades or textures, it'll be free. Crysis 2 released without DX11 and then they released a patch a few months later all for free. The Metro games seemed worth it because there was a ton of gameplay changes and a revamped game engine. I bought it because I only paid $5 for 2033 and wanted to support that studio because they work in pretty horrible conditions. The worst part about this PC re-release is it's going to split the playerbase, even moreso if it's like some other re-releases on Steam where the original game gets removed and the new version is the only one available. :confused: They are including a bunch of stuff in a free patch for existing owners which is nice but $10 or less way down the line is the price I'm willing to pay.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

The first 2 Serious Sam games were re-released for money, but that was a complete engine change. Those money grubbers that distribute Tomb Raider never released the definitive edition on PC. I don't know, that does seem pretty Jew nosed. I guess their defense is that it includes all the DLC, plus there were changes made to the main campaign. I'm waiting for reviews on what the graphic changes are for real, anyway. If it's just a bump up in resolution, then I might as well keep the 360 version.
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

i saw that coming and still :lol: 'd
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

rumors say that there will be some announcements coming out of that Game Awards thing that geoff keighley is putting on.

...buzz is that Fallout 4 might be announced...
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Bethesda better be working with a new engine. :ax:
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

if I had to guess, i'd say it'll be idtech for all the visuals and they'll stick with whatever hacked together version of gamebryo they've been using for the last 10 years

were they the ones that said all their games would use "their" engine, or was that EA with frostbite?
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

well thats just awesome! guess i'll start getting my hopes up now :lol:
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

copstache wrote:were they the ones that said all their games would use "their" engine, or was that EA with frostbite?
EA but I imagine Bethesda's plan was the same after buying id.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

i've known castlevania was called Akumajou Dracula in japan for probably 20 years and it never occurred to me before tonight that it's actually Akuma-jou (demon castle) and i kind of feel dumb about that i guess?

i had to share that with someone

deep thoughts in rush hour traffic.
Blair
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Blair »

Playing Far Cry 4 has me really appreciating how in Fallout games I could fill the homes of characters like Yogi and Reggie with land mines or slowly stab them to death while stealthed.
Zerohero wrote:shooting cum on that hot chick that is my altar.
doubleblumpkin wrote:Guess who's riding a pig through the jungle 8)
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

Ugh stop I don't want to get stuck in fallout 4 hype loop yet
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

seriously :twisted:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
Ghost Dad
Wandering Johnny!

Post by Ghost Dad »

Embrace it. Once there's a real announcement about it, nothing else will matter.
hipster holocaust wrote: What do you think they're doing up there right now? A smiling SLH listening to MLK's juicy wife cheating stories while Maya takes notes?
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

man I fucking love Far Cry 4. yesterday I came across an elephant bathing itself in a river and nearly wept at the beauty. then I hopped on it and flipped over some cars.

even the characters are pretty good. for a game, it's got a pretty solemn/sincere story, so far anyway. well, except for Hurk.

maybe it's just FC3.5 or whatever, but it's still a goddamn great game.
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

WANT
ImageImageImage
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

me too dude, I just saw that. I'll settle for the PS4 theme with the PSX boot music, pretty rad.