The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by Cryptoplasty »

Blair wrote: Makes me appreciate how nonintrusive FC2 was.
Far Cry 2 was fucking real.

That game hated you as the player. It wanted to make you hate being there. It wanted to make you feel like you were in the middle of an African jungle with no direction fighting for survival. Travel was frustrating, you constantly had malaria, weapons jammed all the time, and all the NPCs hated you. The main town was hostile and bleak. There was no retarded story or dumb QTEs. It was so much less scripted and organized compared to Far Cry 3 (and probably 4). It was such a weird fucking game, but I loved it.
Toilet Fleet wrote:dogs are shit tbqh
oh wow youre loyal, you know who else was loyal, fuckin goebbels
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

Cryptoplasty wrote:That game hated you as the player. It wanted to make you hate being there.
you should boot up Evil Within again
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

Spooky Apparition wrote:
Cryptoplasty wrote:That game hated you as the player. It wanted to make you hate being there.
There is a difference between intentionally and unintentionally shitty player experience. I really think the 20 minutes I played of TEW was in the top 5 worst gaming experiences I've ever had.
Pisscubes wrote:
I'm chuckling a bit because you know who else constantly talks about how awesome this game is and how it's one of their favorites ever?

Your pals at Idle Thumbs. :awesome:
Of course....because it came out before Far Cry was cool.

Or most likely some long winded hipster gamer reason.
Cryptoplasty
Olde Timer

Post by Cryptoplasty »

Pisscubes wrote:
Cryptoplasty wrote:
Spooky Apparition wrote:
There is a difference between intentionally and unintentionally shitty player experience. I really think the 20 minutes I played of TEW was in the top 5 worst gaming experiences I've ever had.
Pisscubes wrote:
I'm chuckling a bit because you know who else constantly talks about how awesome this game is and how it's one of their favorites ever?

Your pals at Idle Thumbs. :awesome:
Of course....because it came out before Far Cry was cool.

Or most likely some long winded hipster gamer reason.
Yes, I'm sure you like it for all the correct reasons and they like it for all the Thick rimmed glasses and right jeans reasons.
That's exactly what I'm saying :tup:
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

So hai guis this is totally not a stupid question or anything but um. Are slot plates all the same width or are there different size standards? The website I get my stuff from has different widths listed for graphics cards overall, and for some of them no width mentioned at all. Dafuqdismean. I'm sorry, I'm new here.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote:So hai guis this is totally not a stupid question or anything but um. Are slot plates all the same width or are there different size standards? The website I get my stuff from has different widths listed for graphics cards overall, and for some of them no width mentioned at all. Dafuqdismean. I'm sorry, I'm new here.
I don't know. I upgraded my card once ever and the manufacturer's site listed that the card was compatible with the motherboard. I'd Google it or post on both card and boards forums to be sure they interlock.
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

Bought Far Cry 2 a while ago on steam, still scared to play it.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Comrade Slinky wrote:Bought Far Cry 2 a while ago on steam, still scared to play it.
Hated that game. Found it obnoxious. If there are any mods that spruce it up play it with those instead of the vanilla version.
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

spacehamster wrote:So hai guis this is totally not a stupid question or anything but um. Are slot plates all the same width or are there different size standards? The website I get my stuff from has different widths listed for graphics cards overall, and for some of them no width mentioned at all. Dafuqdismean. I'm sorry, I'm new here.
That's more or less to ensure that the graphics card fits into your case. They all use the same slots.
ImageImageImage
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

as long as you don't have a micro atx board or compact tower, or crazy coolant system, most video cards should fit fine in your rig.
Pisscubes wrote:So what the fuck happened with Destiny? I kept up with it on the Bombcast listening to Brad go from being borderline obsessed with it (but also continually saying, "I know it's not that great, but I keep playing it!") to basically saying he's done at this point. And this seems to be a common trajectory.

Where did they go wrong? I assumed the things that didn't appeal to me where just taste-- that I knew it wasn't my thing so while I wasn't going to rag on it, I didn't get it. But now tons of people for whom this is totally in line with what they like are saying, "Meh, fuck this." I feel like Titan Fall did the same thing. So for those of you who love this kind of game, where did it go wrong? Also, did the way over the top hype train have anything to do with it?
They had a really strong base- I mean the game itself is a ton of fun to play. the mechanics and controls and everything just feel perfect. but the world they give you to use that base in is just barren and completely boring. once you burn through the content, then all that's left is to max out your character, and that can be kind of fun, but soon you're left with just replaying the same stuff over and over for little to no reward.

enter Bungie's contribution: instead of doing some good faith things like, I dunno, writing some more bounties AT THE VERY LEAST, or maybe giving out the first expansion for free, every patch basically nerfs one thing or another. that gun that you spent 10 hours leveling up because it's fucking rad? well it was too fucking rad so now it sucks. they know that every fucking person who bought the game is disappointed in it in one way or another but hey, they got our money, so they don't give a fuck. fuck you, pay us $20 for 3 new missions, you fat fucking pieces of shit. lick our boots.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Download the mod that fixes the guard post spawn rate and gun jamming, Slinky.

What copstache said basically. The loot fucking sucks and the content is repetitive as it gets. It also doesn't help that I can't even play a good portion of the game because I need 2 to 5 other people on my friends list. Locking out content like that is ridiculous and not offering any options for matchmaking because our raid is so hardcore fucking sucks. I'd rather experience what I paid for and fail than not see it at all.

The upgrading is a chore. I played a couple of Strikes last night (same missions I have played 10 times already), got gear 4 to 6 levels below my level, and barely made any progress towards the ability to buy top tier gear at the vendors.

The shooting, the music, the controls, the art....all awesome. Everything else is terrible. Something must have gone horribly wrong in development because you don't hire Hollywood actors like Peter Stormare and then give them 3 lines of dialogue in the game. I didnt expect a good story but I expected something. It feels like huge parts of the game were cut out.

I don't think anyonr here is going to buy Destiny 2, Pisscubes. :lol:
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
Comrade Slinky
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Comrade Slinky »

If Destiny 2 has New Hat though...
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Haha

Also the vendor Xur that shows up sometime Friday and leaves early Sunday is retarded.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

None of these mistakes should have been there in the first place and I am guessing it is because of unorganized, development hell or pure arrogance. It is the most unsocial social game in existence. I need to go outside of the game to find people to do the raids and heroic strikes. That is shit design. They've been working on this game for many years, had a crazy large budget and it still has less content than two Kickstarter games I backed.

Tbh, if it wasn't for Bloodborne and the lure of "free" games every month, I would have sold my PS4 already. If GTAV PC is a mess and somehow Bloodborne disappoints, it is getting sold.
storm shadow
Machine Gun Etiquette

Post by storm shadow »

Re: The Evil Within, I picked it up when I saw it was $29.99 on Black Friday. I just finished Chapter 11, and for the most part, I like it a lot. But it has this weird trajectory where it'll have four or five really cool chapters, and then one that's pretty much just bullshit (6, 11). I've heard that the game doesn't really get better from where I'm at, so I'm not that stoked about the final stretch...but it's been surprisingly compelling and addictive so far; I've pretty much lost interest in DA:I since I started it. I can actually see myself doing NG+, which is more than I can say for, like, 90% of games.
james wrote:portable auschwitz
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/239840/

Dead State finally released. I should probably finish Divinity OS and Wasteland 2 (which I still have a key for if anyone is interested...GOG or Steam) before buying that.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

huh. I've ignored that due to zombies, but people are saying it plays like jagged alliance 2?

...that's a pretty compelling argument.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

storm shadow wrote:But it has this weird trajectory where it'll have four or five really cool chapters, and then one that's pretty much just bullshit (6, 11). I've heard that the game doesn't really get better from where I'm at, so I'm not that stoked about the final stretch.
Yeah, that's a big problem with the game; it frequently undercuts the strong parts with annoying/bad parts. There are a few cool parts in 12-15, including my favorite stealth section in the game. 12 is garbage though, and the final boss is just.... ugh. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the story when you finish it because it left me mostly confused and disappointed.

I did play through the first 4-5 chapters on NG+ and it was sorta cool because of some weapons you unlock though.
Last edited by Spooky Apparition on Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

copstache wrote:huh. I've ignored that due to zombies, but people are saying it plays like jagged alliance 2?

...that's a pretty compelling argument.
Yeah it is turn based. You make decisions and have consequences and multiple endings so :mastoman:
storm shadow
Machine Gun Etiquette

Post by storm shadow »

Spooky Apparition wrote:Yeah, that's a big problem with the game; it frequently undercuts the strong parts with annoying/bad parts. There are a few cool parts in 12-15, including my favorite stealth section in the game. 12 is garbage though, and the final boss is just.... ugh. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the story when you finish it because it left me mostly confused and disappointed.

I did play through the first 4-5 chapters on NG+ and it was sorta cool because of some weapons you unlock though.
I just did 12, and as soon as it started I was like "man, fuck this" but it was actually surprisingly fun, at least until the very end part with the fucking turret. Ugh. Why, devs? Why is it always turrets?

I'll definitely report back in when I finish, probably over the weekend. So far the story definitely seems like total J-nonsense, although I do enjoy the aggressive high cliche that all the in-game documents are written in. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if at the end Ruvik kills Sebastian and Joe screams "you bastard, he was three days from retirement!"
james wrote:portable auschwitz
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

milkmandan wrote: That's more or less to ensure that the graphics card fits into your case. They all use the same slots.
Thanks - I figured they had to be a standard size or it would have been easier to find something on Google looking for "slot plate size", but since I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to this stuff...

Prolly gonna get a 970 next week.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

spacehamster wrote:
milkmandan wrote: That's more or less to ensure that the graphics card fits into your case. They all use the same slots.
Thanks - I figured they had to be a standard size or it would have been easier to find something on Google looking for "slot plate size", but since I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to this stuff...

Prolly gonna get a 970 next week.
He's right. Now that I remember. It was the case size that the site said was compatible. Don't forget to uninstall the old cards drivers first.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The Bill wrote:Don't forget to uninstall the old cards drivers first.
So is that still necessary? I found some tutorials that said you have to, and others that say Windows 7 and/or Nvidia's GeForce DickPenis (whatever that interface is called that I've actually installed because I'm the n00best of the n00bz) does it all automatically. Probably better to do it, can't hurt.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I'm out of the loop but I would always uninstall it manually. I used to use tweaked beta versions of drivers and all sorts of over clocking tricks and what have you. I rarely had issues, so from my experience I say do it. I use to also run CCleaner and defrag the PC before as well. Last time I updated the drivers (a few years ago) I saw that Nvidia had some sort of unintall option, but it didn't work well when I tried it.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Calling copstache.

Anyone going to watch the Video Game Awards or whatever it's called? I....am. :oops: