Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Foot Foot
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Re: Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Post by Foot Foot »

howbout this Ready Player One bullshit? looks like the gritty reboot of Cartoon All Stars to the Rescue

Krisha - 8
Mom and Dad - 7
Psychopaths - 7
the Ritual - 7
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

early BO tracking says it's going to tank, so we can all just pretend it doesn't exist.

I'm pretty savvy with VR portrayals in media and all that, but when the IRL nerd's avatar showed up looking like some final fantasy character in hi-def, I had NO idea it was supposed to be him. bad work, trailer.
featherboa wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:35 amyeah all day, but i don't have the attention span
i prefer more efficient snearing like the audio aboms
this was a clutch verning
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

The Arbor - 8
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Three Billboards - 5/10

Pretty damn good for an hour, then halfway through the movie, a pretty interesting premise and moral issue gets tossed over the shoulder for pointless, meandering (and mostly uninteresting) absurdity that led nowhere worth going.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Where Do We Go Now? - 7.5
The Onion Movie - 6
The Signal (2014) - 7
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

jumanji 2025 - 9
Image Certified Poster
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

13 Sins - 6.5
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

Battle of the Sexes - 4.5
Foot Foot

Post by Foot Foot »

Creeping Garden - 8
Last Hunter - 7
Red Mob - 5
Prey - 9
the Sect - 9
RY4N
Unquestionable Presence

Post by RY4N »

black panther 6/10
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

mother! - :what: /10
feels like it would be unfair to rate this film in a traditional way. I thought it was intense as fuck (especially towards the end) and I enjoyed the allegorical aspects (and Jennifer Lawrence's bosom, tbqh), although I'm not necessarily a fan of cryptic films that defy explanation since too often directors, without a sense of restraint, make films that feel self-indulgent just for the sake of it.

My personal take, for anyone that cares: Lawrence's character is Bardem's muse, the baby is his new book, which explains the cyclical nature of the whole thing. All the shit that happens in the film depicts the painful process of creating art and also mirrors how the public cannibalizes your work.

A Cure for Wellness - 7/10
A bit sloggish in places, but still a good gothic horror film. The main villain was great, Jason Isaacs is pretty awesome in the new Star Trek series as well.

Silence (Scorsese) - 6/10
I like watching films that take place in historical Japan, and Silence even delivers some torture and executions Tokugawa-style. then again, it has endless scenes of a puppy-eyed Andrew Garfield feeling anguish about shit that is honestly not relevant to most viewers today, unless you're a hardcore Catholic and still see people as being in desperate need of salvation from eternal hell. Then, the film takes a pleasant turn for the better, when the main character decides that maybe, acting like a person with a conscience and saving people might be more Christian in spirit than letting them suffer and die just so they can still call themselves Catholics. Still, it's over two and a half hours long... took me two sittings. Cinematography is good though.

The VVitch - 7/10
Reading all the rave reviews, I somehow expected more... it's a good no nonsense horror film with excellent sound design (although it sometimes piles it on too thick; case in point: scene early in the film, when the main characters are sitting on their carriage moving away from the camera in a long shot - the soundtrack goes nuts at this point, and I was asking myself why the hell I'm supposed to feel that nervous at that point in the film), but not the intense masterpiece some people say it is IMHO. Maybe I just failed to see its greatness...

Don't Kill It - 4/10
Dolph was cool as usual, some gore effects were alright, that's it. Film fealt cheap/ as if it was made by a spirited, but talentless amateur.

Next up: Bong Joon-Ho's Mother.
Last edited by THE KILL on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I initially missed the main allegory, too :invcross: :dann:
Chad
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by Chad »

use the VPN to watch annihilation on Netflix

Simultaneously good but underwhelming… There is a great scene

I can't imagine why they figured this wasn't theater ready… It pretty much rules. A guy said the soundtrack was much Reduced outside of cinema, and that actually makes sense

Still, it's good. Natalie Portman is a great actress
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

yeah dude the third act was nuking the theater speakers - bummer they nerf'd it for netflix but I guess your shit isn't exploded so :crowbreed:
zombiehead
Patient Zero

Post by zombiehead »

The Disaster Artist - 6

I felt like I was watching a cover band
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Had to switch that one off after ten minutes. Couldn't make it through more than fifteen minutes of The Room, either.
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

THE KILL wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:58 pm mother! - :what: /10
My personal take, for anyone that cares: Lawrence's character is Bardem's muse, the baby is his new book, which explains the cyclical nature of the whole thing. All the shit that happens in the film depicts the painful process of creating art and also mirrors how the public cannibalizes your work.
This is definitely a reading I took away too. Also the religious allegory. Bardem as the patriarchal god archetype, Lawrence as the mother earth archetype (virgin mary, isis etc.) Their child as the Christ metaphor. Michelle Pfeiffer and Ed Harris as Adam and Eve, their sons as Cain and Abel. Organized religion beginning with maybe good intentions but eventually degenerating into an armed madhouse etc.

i "liked"(?) the movie as well. Pretentious sure, but I'll take that ambition over most of what makes it to the theaters these days. And it's the best thing Aronofsky's made since The Wrestler. Black Swan and Noah didn't do much for me
THE KILL wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:49 am Couldn't make it through more than fifteen minutes of The Room, either.
must be enjoyed with riffy friends and copious hooch
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

MANTIS wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:06 am
THE KILL wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:58 pm

THE KILL wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:49 am Couldn't make it through more than fifteen minutes of The Room, either.
It took splitting most of a bottle of bourbon with a bud, and even then it was fucking rough.

Not sure why I'm in the quote.
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

:lol:
Foot Foot

Post by Foot Foot »

Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 - 9
Django - 8
the Rats Are Coming! The Werewolves are Here! - 7
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

MANTIS wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:06 am
THE KILL wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:58 pm mother! - :what: /10
This is definitely a reading I took away too. Also the religious allegory. Bardem as the patriarchal god archetype, Lawrence as the mother earth archetype (virgin mary, isis etc.) Their child as the Christ metaphor. Michelle Pfeiffer and Ed Harris as Adam and Eve, their sons as Cain and Abel. Organized religion beginning with maybe good intentions but eventually degenerating into an armed madhouse etc.

i "liked"(?) the movie as well. Pretentious sure, but I'll take that ambition over most of what makes it to the theaters these days. And it's the best thing Aronofsky's made since The Wrestler. Black Swan and Noah didn't do much for me
Good points re: mother! While I immensely enjoyed Black Swan (haven't watched Noah yet, the wife refuses to watch anything with overt Christian themes in it) I totally agree with you with regards to ambitious films and how we don't get many of them nowadays. Most big budget films today feel so generic and don't really evoke any emotions in me; case in point: Black Panther. mother! will not leave you cold...

The wife and I are about to watch Annihilation - what a nice surprise to see that the dude who directed the excellent Ex Machina made a new film and it's available on German netflix as well! Have a nice evening everybody! (except Chad. get fucked, Chad you idiot.)
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Noah should be totally watchable for your wife. it's jewish as much as it is christian. I think it's a cool movie, but I'm a complete sucker for DA's gimmickry.
MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by MANTIS »

Noah feels as much Malick-wannabe sci-fi/fantasy as it does biblical. Nobody hates Christianity more than me but that's missing the point. The main issue with the movie is that Russell Crowe as Noah is an unsympathetic, unlikeable douchelord. The rock-beings were cool though
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

I at least enjoyed every Darren Aronofsky film I've seen, and most of them were great. Had been looking forward to mother! for months since I'd seen the far out poster... I'll watch Noah as soon as I can. I simply cannot imagine Aronofsky made a bad film, although CGI animals tend to make me nervous...

Whenever I think about the old testament I desperately wish for somebody to make a Gilgamesh film...

Annihilation - 8/10
Great shit. This feeling of being alienated was what the film was about for me, so despite discussing its themes with the wife afterwards for a bit, I enjoy not really being able to see any central message or meaning (self-destruction and guilt? the transcendent as the ungraspable and inthinkable?). Great production design all around (that fucking bear, ugh), especially the soundtrack.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

annihilation :tup:

stalker + the notebook + prometheus
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR