Latest movie you watched (1-10 scale)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:51 pm

yeah dude the third act was nuking the theater speakers - bummer they nerf'd it for netflix but I guess your shit isn't exploded so :crowbreed:
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning

zombiehead
Patient Zero

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:39 pm

The Disaster Artist - 6

I felt like I was watching a cover band

THE KILL
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:49 am

Had to switch that one off after ten minutes. Couldn't make it through more than fifteen minutes of The Room, either.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!

MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:06 am

THE KILL wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:58 pm
mother! - :what: /10
My personal take, for anyone that cares: Lawrence's character is Bardem's muse, the baby is his new book, which explains the cyclical nature of the whole thing. All the shit that happens in the film depicts the painful process of creating art and also mirrors how the public cannibalizes your work.
This is definitely a reading I took away too. Also the religious allegory. Bardem as the patriarchal god archetype, Lawrence as the mother earth archetype (virgin mary, isis etc.) Their child as the Christ metaphor. Michelle Pfeiffer and Ed Harris as Adam and Eve, their sons as Cain and Abel. Organized religion beginning with maybe good intentions but eventually degenerating into an armed madhouse etc.

i "liked"(?) the movie as well. Pretentious sure, but I'll take that ambition over most of what makes it to the theaters these days. And it's the best thing Aronofsky's made since The Wrestler. Black Swan and Noah didn't do much for me
THE KILL wrote:
Couldn't make it through more than fifteen minutes of The Room, either.
must be enjoyed with riffy friends and copious hooch

hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:28 am

MANTIS wrote:
THE KILL wrote:

THE KILL wrote:
It took splitting most of a bottle of bourbon with a bud, and even then it was fucking rough.

Not sure why I'm in the quote.
MeatGrease wrote:I think New Jersey has permanently fucked up my DNA

MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:38 am

:lol:

Foot Foot
New Membre

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:13 am

Female Prisoner Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 - 9
Django - 8
the Rats Are Coming! The Werewolves are Here! - 7

THE KILL
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:01 pm

MANTIS wrote:
THE KILL wrote:
mother! - :what: /10
My personal take, for anyone that cares: Lawrence's character is Bardem's muse, the baby is his new book, which explains the cyclical nature of the whole thing. All the shit that happens in the film depicts the painful process of creating art and also mirrors how the public cannibalizes your work.
This is definitely a reading I took away too. Also the religious allegory. Bardem as the patriarchal god archetype, Lawrence as the mother earth archetype (virgin mary, isis etc.) Their child as the Christ metaphor. Michelle Pfeiffer and Ed Harris as Adam and Eve, their sons as Cain and Abel. Organized religion beginning with maybe good intentions but eventually degenerating into an armed madhouse etc.

i "liked"(?) the movie as well. Pretentious sure, but I'll take that ambition over most of what makes it to the theaters these days. And it's the best thing Aronofsky's made since The Wrestler. Black Swan and Noah didn't do much for me
THE KILL wrote:
Good points re: mother! While I immensely enjoyed Black Swan (haven't watched Noah yet, the wife refuses to watch anything with overt Christian themes in it) I totally agree with you with regards to ambitious films and how we don't get many of them nowadays. Most big budget films today feel so generic and don't really evoke any emotions in me; case in point: Black Panther. mother! will not leave you cold...

The wife and I are about to watch Annihilation - what a nice surprise to see that the dude who directed the excellent Ex Machina made a new film and it's available on German netflix as well! Have a nice evening everybody! (except Chad. get fucked, Chad you idiot.)

Necrometer

Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:39 pm

Noah should be totally watchable for your wife. it's jewish as much as it is christian. I think it's a cool movie, but I'm a complete sucker for DA's gimmickry.

MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:05 pm

Noah feels as much Malick-wannabe sci-fi/fantasy as it does biblical. Nobody hates Christianity more than me but that's missing the point. The main issue with the movie is that Russell Crowe as Noah is an unsympathetic, unlikeable douchelord. The rock-beings were cool though

THE KILL
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:28 pm

I at least enjoyed every Darren Aronofsky film I've seen, and most of them were great. Had been looking forward to mother! for months since I'd seen the far out poster... I'll watch Noah as soon as I can. I simply cannot imagine Aronofsky made a bad film, although CGI animals tend to make me nervous...

Whenever I think about the old testament I desperately wish for somebody to make a Gilgamesh film...

Annihilation - 8/10
Great shit. This feeling of being alienated was what the film was about for me, so despite discussing its themes with the wife afterwards for a bit, I enjoy not really being able to see any central message or meaning (self-destruction and guilt? the transcendent as the ungraspable and inthinkable?). Great production design all around (that fucking bear, ugh), especially the soundtrack.

FVBTVS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:40 pm

annihilation :tup:

stalker + the notebook + prometheus

Necrometer

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:47 pm

I don't think there's any one right interpretation and I get a little bit agitated when people go hard on what is/isn't going on

I think the shimmer is a tumor on our world, and the clones are the metastasis

I did NOT like how easily the threat was nullified, though - "let me just burn this all down real quick"

Chad
need...miss...want...

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Annihilation is the only movie I've ever seen that effectively replicated a mushroom trip

I am quite sure that that was intended… You never really understand motivations or intentions, and everything is in flux. I have often seen my skin crawling And the spiritual idea of fungus Is a recurring theme. Identity is lost

I know it has other meanings, (relationship)… But even the shimmer looks like what you see when a trip starts

bad ass movie, and I just saw the guy who directed it is doing halo Adaptation

THE KILL
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:53 pm

Was it a threat though? also, the "alien" for lack of a better word still lived on in the clone of her husband...

FVBTVS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:55 pm

i just wish the first two thirds was as compelling as the last third

and whatever game they were playing with the snake arm tattoo thing wasnt worth the energy

same sentiment could've been accomplished with the all of a sudden country accent thing only slightly different if they wanted to do that

Necrometer

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:55 pm

yeah the tattoo is cheap and doesn't reward consideration as far as I can tell :tdown:

that scene when he came upstairs was really moving (probably moreso since I knew via the book), but yeah the first parts could have been so much better with the smallest changes.

did you guys notice her replicated house, which the movie drew very little attention to? I loved that.
THE KILL wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:53 pm
Was it a threat though? also, the "alien" for lack of a better word still lived on in the clone of her husband...
I was just trying to use vague language since spoiler tags are dead. we generally agree. metastasis!

spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:56 am

Black Panther - I dunno, maybe 6/10 if I'm generous. The movie looks nice and either I'm just desensitized to CGI now or the action scenes (especially he car chase about halfway into it) really were good, but honestly, a lot of it just felt boring and drawn out. This is one of the few, if not the only Marvel movie that I remember that isn't crammed full of characters that are only there so they can be in the next movie, but somehow it's still north of two hours for absolutely no fucking reason, and it shows.

There's some political stuff that would be potentially interesting to unpack, like the Wakandan isolationism or the comments on fugitives, but it just feels too incidental.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.

MANTIS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:58 am

Spot-on review of black panther

RY4N
Electric Lucifer

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:50 am

i took my dad to black panther on sunday night. he hated it.

the awesome Assassin
Sweet Lord _______

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:25 am

Car chase!? Spoiler that shit...

The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:57 am

Annihilation - 5

FVBTVS
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:29 am

:lol:

Necrometer

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:57 am

The Real MPD wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:38 am
THIS WILDERNESS IS EATING US ALIVE.
:fonz:

featherboa
Olde Timer

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:32 am

shape of water - 7
what's teh point?
let's overturn these tables disconnect these cables
This place don't make sense to me no more
copstache wrote: i cut my hand at work and just let it drip on my desk during a conference call
FVBTVS wrote:probably some punk broth