Sci Fi Speed Dating

Music posts are a bannable offense.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Re: Sci Fi Speed Dating

Post by spacehamster »

jen said destroy wrote:
spacehamster wrote:I'm from Switzerland
We get a lot of imported TV here, though, and if anything there was more of it when I was a kid. It's really, really odd that something with as long a history as Doctor Who never made it into German TV.

Plus I've had internet at home since about 98 and I still never heard of it until maybe 2010. It's weird, is all.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
pooptastik
Too Many Sads Too Many Regrets

Post by pooptastik »

spacehamster wrote:I still think Doctor Who was somehow retconned into reality. Until seriously like a year ago, I'd never heard of it, and now suddenly everyone's acting like the show's been around forever. I'm not buying it. You're all in on this shit.

i feel the same way, dude. even though Futurama has some Dr. Who references.
DR. THRAXX
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DR. THRAXX »

I used to read the Hell out of Dr. Who paperbacks in middle and high school
$$$$$ RaP GaME WiLL RaHMeR $$$$$
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

spacehamster wrote:and now suddenly everyone's acting like the show's been around forever.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who
The programme is listed in Guinness World Records as the longest-running science fiction television show in the world[3] and as the "most successful" science fiction series of all time—based on its over-all broadcast ratings, DVD and book sales, and iTunes traffic.
i am highly enjoying the newest seasons(11th incarnation/hot red scot). the storyline is pretty good, and accessible enough that my wife is into it as well. she's not a fan of sci-fi... much to my ire and disdain. i can see how it's spiked in popularity.
Last edited by a world of no on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
worsethanuseless
skinjob

Post by worsethanuseless »

Yea, I used to watch Dr Who on PBS in the 70s too. The first Con I ever went to when I was a little tyke was a Dr Who/Star Trek/Star Wars combo in 1980. There weren't enough nerds into any one of those things alone to populate a hotel convention room back then apparently.
"iq tests should be mandatory for registering for this board." -Thurber
Nerve Altar
DR. THRAXX
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by DR. THRAXX »

F. Murray Sandyclam wrote:Mike's Switzerland often comes across like the Spielberg ET divorced mom sheltered Silicon Valley milieu in nation form.

And yet he has to pry hookers off with a crowbar just to go down to the bodega.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:pizza: :beer: :pizza: :beer:
$$$$$ RaP GaME WiLL RaHMeR $$$$$
jen said destroy
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jen said destroy »

I think his point was that it hasn't had this insane level of fandom until the last couple of years. That is, in the US. I got into it when they brought it back in 2005 and stopped watching when they switched Doctors after one season. A couple of years later I saw the error of my ways and got into it again and pretended David Tennant was going to show up in my room one day.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

jen said destroy wrote:I got into it when they brought it back in 2005 and stopped watching when they switched Doctors after one season.
hahaha ... how dare they

my dad is a brit so I definitely had a vague understanding of the show, but mostly as a cultural reference point. like, I've known that "dalek" meant something, for decades
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
jen said destroy
Don't mess with my shit.

Post by jen said destroy »

Necrometer wrote:
jen said destroy wrote:I got into it when they brought it back in 2005 and stopped watching when they switched Doctors after one season.
hahaha ... how dare they
I was legit offended!
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

Rosary_Butt_Beads wrote:
Necrometer wrote:my dad is a brit
Whereabouts?
he grew up in scotland and met my mom during a medical residency in Cleveland, so he's been here for almost all of his adult life
Friendly Goatus
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Friendly Goatus »

I dont know... sounds pretty vintressy to me.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

:x
a world of no
Olde Timer

Post by a world of no »

haha.. ross make stuff up.
ThePhillyExperiment
ultimate EVIL

Post by ThePhillyExperiment »

a world of no wrote:
spacehamster wrote:and now suddenly everyone's acting like the show's been around forever.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who
The programme is listed in Guinness World Records as the longest-running science fiction television show in the world[3] and as the "most successful" science fiction series of all time—based on its over-all broadcast ratings, DVD and book sales, and iTunes traffic.
i am highly enjoying the newest seasons(11th incarnation/hot red scot). the storyline is pretty good, and accessible enough that my wife is into it as well. she's not a fan of sci-fi... much to my ire and disdain. i can see how it's spiked in popularity.
Oh man the new assistant is so ball achingly hot.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
brobot wrote: "Some guy asked me if I was a robot...like a Relapse robot? I have no idea what he was talking about."
GLEN BENTON wrote: ONLY THING IS I LOOK AT THE GIRLS AT THE MOVIES, AND THERE BETWEEN 10 AND 14!
EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO
hovering.

Post by EEEOOOEEEOOOEEEOOO »

Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

james wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:35 pm
The Torsion wrote:
Wang Mandu wrote:They're all harmless. How can you not root for them?
Of course they're harmless. Hell, they aren't even nerds. Nerds ran the space program in the 60s. Nerds invented the television and the personal computer. Nerds are smart, capable, even accomplished people. These are self-absorbed assholes who let frivolous hobbies consume them. I even bet that cute blonde girl is annoying as fuck to talk to.
This is ridiculous, dude. I like you, and generally I find your reflexive outrage a bit refreshing. This thing that you've said is inaccurate and stupid, though.

All I can say is that as a gigantic geek, I have no reason not to support and defend this Occupy Normality stuff that's been happening to the rest of the world over the past decade. The entire planet has mysteriously tailored itself to my liking; hobbits and batmans are the billion dollar pictures, the zombie movies I loved so much in middle school have become familiar to the point of saturation, and most importantly everyone in the civilized world has begun using the internet to communicate with one another, which used to be this incredibly weird geeky thing I couldn't even really explain to other people without sounding like some sort of absolute mutant pedophile. When I started posting on this board in high school I wouldn't have felt comfortable discussing it with my friends. Now they've all got Farmville plots and talk to each other obsessively with pocket computers that used to be cellphones. Filesharing has destroyed the shitty record industry and kids who grew up blasting through Megaman tunes on their gameboys are winning Grammy awards with computer-generated music they made at home on their laptops with pirated software.

Everything that was once mysteriously detested about my interests and personality is now accepted and infecting the exterior universe like an awesome rape virus.

We're here, we're queer, and I think we successfully took over everything in the entire Western world so fuck you get used to it.
I was so wrong about everything. I want to go back.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
Foot Foot
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by Foot Foot »

\m/Johnny\m/ wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:13 pm
\m/Johnny\m/ wrote:That was one of the more depressing things I've read here.
Seriously. It was like watching a fat guy masturbate into a cup, and throw it into the trash.
just felt like quoting
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Eight Bit Alien wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:23 pm
I was so wrong about everything. I want to go back.
But Keptum Mervel is teh feminists and tahts y teh wodrl is endign teh commies hef wun. :(((

I dunno, I still think it's funny that everyone knows who Rocket Racoon is now.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Jimm O' Lation
Kill Whitey

Post by Jimm O' Lation »

calm down
MeatGrease
[citation needed]

Post by MeatGrease »

spacehamster wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:16 pm

But Keptum Mervel is teh feminists and tahts y teh wodrl is endign teh commies hef wun. :(((
You have got to be the only one in your village that acts like this.
Warning: this post may contain plagiarized text or language, some which may be above the poster's reading level.
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

The brain trust is here to teach spacehamster a lesson.
Ill body
/
Ill will
Glub
Certified False.

Post by Glub »

cxwx wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:44 am The brain trust is here to teach spacehamster a lesson.

Its been well over 24 hours since meatgrease last posted and was promptly made a laughingstock so it's no surprise that he's back to say more stupid shit, be made fun of by every single person here and lack the self-awareness and smarts to realize why he's considered a joke.

What's the over/under on Doctor Redpill being the type of lil guy who wears the sunglasses/fingerless gloves combo indoors?
MeatGrease wrote:
I became fully redpilled by the summer of 2015 but was already holding back as early as 2014. Before that I was a anarcho punk.

Ideally, society should be organized via a warrior-priest aristocracy.

I can trace my ancestry all the way back to historic germanic tribal chieftains in fact.
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Glub wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:30 pm
cxwx wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:44 am The brain trust is here to teach spacehamster a lesson.

Its been well over 24 hours since meatgrease last posted and was promptly made a laughingstock so it's no surprise that he's back to say more stupid shit, be made fun of by every single person here and lack the self-awareness and smarts to realize why he's considered a joke.

What's the over/under on Doctor Redpill being the type of lil guy who wears the sunglasses/fingerless gloves combo indoors?
:shock:
Holy shit, meatgrease is Razorfist?
Ill body
/
Ill will
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

It's the same for me as a German, I don't know anybody here who watches Dr. Who and I've only heard about it a couple of years ago. I've thought about checking out an episode since the Brits seem to worship that nonsense and Alan Moore apparently has written a comic script for it once, but every time I read about the series it sounds like complete bullshit, Tardis and all.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

THE KILL wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:24 amevery time I read about the series it sounds like complete bullshit, Tardis and all.
I actually think it sounds pretty awesome, and I'm also kind of interested because it's obviously the source for Warren Ellis' doctor character in The Authority, which I still think is probably the best superhero book ever made and basically invented everything that the MCU now feeds off. I just don't know where to start, the show's been around too long.