Is there any Masters of the Universe stuff that's good?

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

Is there any Masters of the Universe stuff that's good?

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

I heard the people who made Castlevania on Netflix are doing He-Man next. I loved Castlevania so I'm excited for more.

I remember the show from when I was a kid, but I don't know anything else about the franchise. Are there other comics or cartoons that are worth checking out? I feel curious but I don't eve really like toy cartoons very much no offense.

I probably should have PMed Riley and Anne directly but we have no threads anymore so...

thank,
jame
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Re: Is there any Masters of the Universe stuff that's good?

Post by Necrometer »

are you open to ontology of orko as a topic?

it's reasonable to assume that he has a face that's typically obscured in shadow by the hat, hence the perpetual void where the non-eyes remainder of his face should be. blue skin to match his ears and all that. but there's apparently a single frame of the show that shows him sans hat as he's falling - see if you can catch it at 13:20 in this episode:

they rendered his head as pitch black with blue ears sticking out. this reveals the cartoon to be slavishly loyal to the toy, which is the same way if you pull the hat off:
face-existence aside, I love that this guy's hat has holes to accommodate his pointy ears!

the relationship between toy and character traits is also deeply weird in the case of yoda's feet & toe-count - I think I've posted about this before. there's plenty of internet coverage on this as well.
http://sw7x7.com/yoda-yo-yo-yo-yo-yoda/ - podcast is worthless, see text there. note that 3+1 never seems to appear on the toys!?!?

now I'm in another mental crisis as I learn that there are nearly 1900 episodes of that sw podcast :cry:
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

hahahahahaa holy shit dude

were you just storing all that like a coiled spring, waiting for the correct moment?

also thanks
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

I mean.. no, not really ? I'm tempted to channel DOCTOR Jordan Peterson and rant about how the ancient themes of good and evil are played out within the cartoon ("and so, if you look at it, Skeletor, right, is ACTUALLY the embodiment of our fear of death, and so, I mean, LOOK at it, he's a skull, death, what could be more OBVIOUS, and he's attached to this great, muscular body, because death is very strong, I shouldn't have to tell you, and he's blue, and and and, Prince Adam is our ID, , and he has to become He-Man, the SUPEREGO, to be able to combat death, because the only way we rise above death and our fate is to become the ultimate realized man, and the only way to do THAT is to hold aloft our powersword and say the words 'by the power of Greyskull,' or looking at it another way, to transcend ourselves and become something legendary, which is how we defeat death ! To have people remember us through tales of our bravery and heroism, and the only way to do THAT is to not be the Prince Adam, or the ID, but to become He-Man, the Superego, the REALIZED MAN, but that's not bloody easy, is it ? It takes hard work to hold aloft our powersword ! And that's NO JOKE !") but honestly it's mostly just silliness and laughing at Skeletor come up with retarded plots to take over Eternia and say things like, "TODAY IS A GREAT DAY FOR EVIL !!!"

hope this helps !
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

I guess I just find orko captivating. today I learned why (in the real world) he has no legs or face - it was literally to minimize work for the animators. a fucking MOTU animator wrote that on the same page that pointed me to that single hatless frame. that doesn't kill the mystique though - nor does him being an alien who is not even from eternia (the in-universe why). I never for a second felt like he was always the way he is. magic made him into a faceless hovering entity, and so he'll always have that baked-in mystique.

also fascinated with the above-their-pay-grade, panic-inducing decision-making that toy-crafters must face when they are forced to reify the unknown.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

yeah after watching some clips and meditating about ol' orkz, I think it's best to just look at the characters and imagine stuff about them. skeletor is the pinnacle for that sort of thing.
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

is Adam really that "id"? I feel like he doesn't even try to get laid or have fun or whatever. again, this is mostly based on what he looks like. i love the rest of that. iirc my dad claimed that he-man was basically re-skinned bible stories - also probably just based on him looking at the characters.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Dude I have no fucking clue whatsoever about ids and superegos tbh despite having the easiest possible access to all relevant information thereof at my fingertips

It just sounded like something DOCTOR Jordan Peterson would say
Necrometer

Post by Necrometer »

:lol: fair enough
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

vaguely pumped for this new Dark Crystal thing...
Foot Foot
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by Foot Foot »

when i want to indulge my own gauzy nostalgia for the characters and worlds of Jack Kirby, Frank Frazetta, Robert E Howard, Michael Moorcock, Jon Mikl Thor, and Tom of Finland being openly thieved by people who make Barbie dolls, i pull these off the shelf:

spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

riley-o wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:20 pm I mean.. no, not really ? I'm tempted to channel DOCTOR Jordan Peterson and rant about how the ancient themes of good and evil are played out within the cartoon ("and so, if you look at it, Skeletor, right, is ACTUALLY the embodiment of our fear of death, and so, I mean, LOOK at it, he's a skull, death, what could be more OBVIOUS, and he's attached to this great, muscular body, because death is very strong, I shouldn't have to tell you, and he's blue, and and and, Prince Adam is our ID, , and he has to become He-Man, the SUPEREGO, to be able to combat death, because the only way we rise above death and our fate is to become the ultimate realized man, and the only way to do THAT is to hold aloft our powersword and say the words 'by the power of Greyskull,' or looking at it another way, to transcend ourselves and become something legendary, which is how we defeat death ! To have people remember us through tales of our bravery and heroism, and the only way to do THAT is to not be the Prince Adam, or the ID, but to become He-Man, the Superego, the REALIZED MAN, but that's not bloody easy, is it ? It takes hard work to hold aloft our powersword ! And that's NO JOKE !") but honestly it's mostly just silliness and laughing at Skeletor come up with retarded plots to take over Eternia and say things like, "TODAY IS A GREAT DAY FOR EVIL !!!"

hope this helps !
Needs more "it's not obvious that".

I wanted to put this into notjordanpeterson.com, but the site's down.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

spacehamster wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:46 am Needs more "it's not obvious that".
:lol: there were absolutely depths of Petersonisms I didn’t manage to reach in just one post
Iron Goldie
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Post by Iron Goldie »

Do you mean "good" in the goofy Transformers G1 way? Then the original He-Man falls into that. She-Ra has a bit more going on, because at least it had a "she was raised by the evil side then went good" plot, but it was goofy as fuck too. Check out the episode Flowers for Hordak, it's on Youtube. It's top She-Ra goofiness.

Supposedly the 2002/2003 He-Man cartoon was good, I still haven't watched it yet though

Netflix She-Ra is ugly as hell for the most part, but the writing is actually okay. Can't help you with any comics though, homie. Sorry.
Iron Goldie
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Post by Iron Goldie »

Iron Goldie wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:55 pm Do you mean "good" in the goofy Transformers G1 way? Then the original He-Man falls into that. She-Ra has a bit more going on, because at least it had a "she was raised by the evil side then went good" plot, but it was goofy as fuck too. Check out the episode Flowers for Hordak, it's on Youtube. It's top She-Ra goofiness.

Supposedly the 2002/2003 He-Man cartoon was good, I still haven't watched it yet though

Netflix She-Ra is ugly as hell for the most part, but the writing is actually okay. I've only looked at two comic series though, both recent. He-Man: The Eternity War and He-Man Masters of the Universe from 2013. Both have a She-Ra crossover, and Hordak is like some super technological eldrich god or some shit, I dunno. They were pretty decent though, if you're going for a more serious tone.
Iron Goldie
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Post by Iron Goldie »

Why the fuck did I quote myself. I haven't posted here in so long, I've gotten retarded at it.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Iron Goldie wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:58 pmHe-Man: The Eternity War and He-Man Masters of the Universe from 2013. Both have a She-Ra crossover, and Hordak is like some super technological eldrich god or some shit, I dunno. They were pretty decent though, if you're going for a more serious tone.
Were these DC ? I just downloaded a collection that has 2012/2013 issues but nothing about Eternity War. There's a few Marvel and Image books in there too. I'll report back regardless.

For the record, I think there's more than enough intriguing characters and source material in the Masters of the Universe universe to create a very cool world with great mythology. A fucking skull-faced blue guy living in a snake mountain ? Fuck, give him ONE halfways decent motivation to combine the two halves of the powerswords, unleash the power of Greyskull, and conquer Eternia, and you got yourself a stew, baby.
Iron Goldie
Giant Eyeball of Death.

Post by Iron Goldie »

riley-o wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:44 pm
Iron Goldie wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:58 pmHe-Man: The Eternity War and He-Man Masters of the Universe from 2013. Both have a She-Ra crossover, and Hordak is like some super technological eldrich god or some shit, I dunno. They were pretty decent though, if you're going for a more serious tone.
Were these DC ? I just downloaded a collection that has 2012/2013 issues but nothing about Eternity War. There's a few Marvel and Image books in there too. I'll report back regardless.

For the record, I think there's more than enough intriguing characters and source material in the Masters of the Universe universe to create a very cool world with great mythology. A fucking skull-faced blue guy living in a snake mountain ? Fuck, give him ONE halfways decent motivation to combine the two halves of the powerswords, unleash the power of Greyskull, and conquer Eternia, and you got yourself a stew, baby.
They are DC. I have them downloaded and can probably upload them if you want.
The Real MPD
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by The Real MPD »

Iron Goldie wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:55 pmthe 2002/2003 He-Man cartoon
preferred version.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Iron Goldie wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:48 am
riley-o wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:44 pm

They are DC. I have them downloaded and can probably upload them if you want.
That would be great !!
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

this cartoon is fucking terrible
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

playing Ross's orko hat video at .25 speed to see the magic baby's head

it became a psychedellic nightmare because of the weird granular slowdown on the audio signal, and because it's actually kinda scary to see the giant snake try to eat the magic baby

whose worth is zero, I assume, because of the number on his dress

so I think I'm going to try to capture the audio exactly as it plays there and then snatch the clip played back at an equally crushing pace

and post here "Worthless giant baby boy wears a dress eaten by primordial constriction serpent" or something idk

stay safe fam
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

*insert Chuffed Beyond Lloyd joke here*
Ill body
/
Ill will
Introvert
7th Church of the Apocalyptic Lawnmower

Post by Introvert »

cxwx wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:54 pm *insert Chuffed Beyond Lloyd joke here*
No joke - the theme song for the cartoon was playing as all of the guests were exiting his wedding.
Friendly Goatus wrote:and stop being a dick to your cat