Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

SCHOOL ME ON HAIR METAL

Post by Eight Bit Alien »

SOMEONE BE MY HAIR METAL VIRGIL
BE MY HARD ROCK SPIRIT GUIDE
TAKE ME TO THE 80S
SPREAD MY ANUS OPEN WIDE

And 80s hard rock in general. I've always liked this shit, but I don't have a formal education.

I've always kept Out of the Cellar by Ratt and Metal Health by Quiet Riot in rotation. This week I've added Headless Children by WASP, which I'm actually pretty fuckin impressed by.

Which Motley Crue should I be looking at? Does Warrant suck?
Which of these bands have overlooked 90s shit?
Does someone have a pre-fame album that's hidden gold?

Also caddycorner to this, I've been getting into more hard rock and traditional NWOBHM bands that I missed... any guidance there would be appreciated.
Dark Side of the 90s Season 2 - 7
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Re: SCHOOL ME ON HAIR METAL

Post by cxwx »

Ill body
/
Ill will
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i'm quite partial lately to the angel witch song called angel witch on the album titled angel witch :invcross:

a lot of ways this thread can go! no exaggerating this album has been getting me through darkness :tup:

TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

Sure the band was called Dokken, but it was George Lynch who defeated Freddie with a blistering solo

HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
kevin hash
Better at internetting than you.

Post by kevin hash »

Hanoi Rocks
Dogs D'amour
Pretty Boy Floyd

Yes....warrant sucks.

Dont bother with the crue after "Theater of Pain"
TROLL WORLD ORDER 4 LIFE

:invcross: BUNGVOX got powerbombed off the stage because he wasn't T.W.O 4 LIFE brother. :invcross:

my hound dog's dump still hot - zerohero
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

nitro is not for beginners, cw

instead of listening to 80s hair metal I recommend looking to some of the stuff that inspired it like Slade inspiring Quiet Riot
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

GIVE ME SPECIFIC RECOMMENDATIONS
BE PATIENT I HAVE AUTISM
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

ALBUMS ALBUMS ALBUMS ALBUMS

NO HIPSTER ANSWERS
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

thanks!!!! To everyone who posted suggestions helping me!
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

playlist:

FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
cxwx
clown shaped void that used to be a human being

Post by cxwx »

Geeheeb wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:43 pm nitro is not for beginners, cw

How about some stuff that broke my 10 year old cherry

Ill body
/
Ill will
kevin hash

Post by kevin hash »

Kiss
TROLL WORLD ORDER 4 LIFE

:invcross: BUNGVOX got powerbombed off the stage because he wasn't T.W.O 4 LIFE brother. :invcross:

postaddiction
Freakin Insane & Stuff..

Post by postaddiction »

I need to learn more about cock rock, too. One of my favorite genres, but my knowledge is pretty shallow. Warrant has one good song. Motley Crue has no great albums, just 2-3 great songs on 4-5 of them. Whitesnake had a good amount of solid B-sides, relatively. Most glam bands suffer from the hit single/album full of filler syndrome in my experience. Slaughter was cool --listening to Stick It To Ya now. Cinderella kicked ass live, but I don't know much about their discography. Def Leppard has the most awesome hits, and their ballad game was strong as fuck. I like how sloppy CC Deville was at times in Poison (the REAL Poison) solos but it worked. Winger was better than they get credit for... I've wanted to learn how to play Seventeen for years and it always baffles me like it's Necrophagist or something. Tesla had some good shit when they went hard. LA Guns was good live last year, but I have yet to get into their records much. Of course, DLR-era Van Halen is gospel, but I'm just saying things that are common sense at this point. If you haven't already, listen to all the Steel Panther albums. Even though they're sarcastic and not authentic to the time and place hair metal was born out of, they have one of the most solid discographies in the genre. There's a Sirius XM station called Hair Nation that rotates some good semi-obscure shit. And watch The Decline Of Western Civilization: Part Two if you haven't yet.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Dude of learning! If the Leppard is Def, then you must listen for him. You must go On Through the Night and remain High ‘N’ Dry. Take in the Pyromania and Hysteria of it all despite the cool kids a naying. Upon completion of such tasks you may want to Adrenilaze, but only if you give your self fully to the sounds, otherwise an embarrassment may fall upon you. Some would even say a Euphoria could contain one or two treasures.

A true master might go to Europe and witness a Final Count Down.
MPD
I hate your life.

Post by MPD »

BUSINESS
Gear in the Machine

Post by BUSINESS »

The ONLY HAIR METAL YOU NEED.

Yes. The whole album was recorded in SPANISH.

FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

i definitely listened to hysteria this year all the way though
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

When did people start referring to this stuff as "Hair Metal", anyway? Near as I can tell this is one of those stupid retroactive internet things. From what I remember, we called it Glam Rock before we had cellphones.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

this thread is pointing in at least three distinct directions or more but 'hair metal' was always a common term in the US at least in my experience
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

spacehamster wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:42 am When did people start referring to this stuff as "Hair Metal", anyway? Near as I can tell this is one of those stupid retroactive internet things. From what I remember, we called it Glam Rock before we had cellphones.
Here that was the common term by the time I was paying attention, which was late - after 'Nirvana killed them off'* but before nu-metal became the dominant thing.
I'm sure this is quite regional, but 'glam' is often reserved for the earlier stuff, ranging from Bowie to Gary Glitter and New York Dolls. From what I can tell, people usually say 'glam' if they like the band, and 'hair' is a derisive term for the shit that can't be retroactively hipsterized.

* I fucking hate this stupid idea
Eight Bit Alien
It's my lucky day!

postaddiction wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:29 pm I need to learn more about cock rock, too. One of my favorite genres, but my knowledge is pretty shallow. Warrant has one good song. Motley Crue has no great albums, just 2-3 great songs on 4-5 of them. Whitesnake had a good amount of solid B-sides, relatively. Most glam bands suffer from the hit single/album full of filler syndrome in my experience. Slaughter was cool --listening to Stick It To Ya now. Cinderella kicked ass live, but I don't know much about their discography. Def Leppard has the most awesome hits, and their ballad game was strong as fuck. I like how sloppy CC Deville was at times in Poison (the REAL Poison) solos but it worked. Winger was better than they get credit for... I've wanted to learn how to play Seventeen for years and it always baffles me like it's Necrophagist or something. Tesla had some good shit when they went hard. LA Guns was good live last year, but I have yet to get into their records much. Of course, DLR-era Van Halen is gospel, but I'm just saying things that are common sense at this point. If you haven't already, listen to all the Steel Panther albums. Even though they're sarcastic and not authentic to the time and place hair metal was born out of, they have one of the most solid discographies in the genre. There's a Sirius XM station called Hair Nation that rotates some good semi-obscure shit. And watch The Decline Of Western Civilization: Part Two if you haven't yet.
Hey fuckin thanks man! This is the kind of shit I need! So far I agree with your Crue thesis.
The Bill wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:43 pm Dude of learning! If the Leppard is Def, then you must listen for him. You must go On Through the Night and remain High ‘N’ Dry. Take in the Pyromania and Hysteria of it all despite the cool kids a naying. Upon completion of such tasks you may want to Adrenilaze, but only if you give your self fully to the sounds, otherwise an embarrassment may fall upon you. Some would even say a Euphoria could contain one or two treasures.

A true master might go to Europe and witness a Final Count Down.
Hahaha thanks for this friend.
kevin hash

Post by kevin hash »

spacehamster wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:42 am When did people start referring to this stuff as "Hair Metal", anyway? Near as I can tell this is one of those stupid retroactive internet things. From what I remember, we called it Glam Rock before we had cellphones.
Hair metal is some sort of fantano compartmentalization journalism term.

It will always be glam rock.

Especially since the mentors called bands like Cinderella and motley crew glam rock fags.

Cinderella "Night Songs" is pretty goddamned solid.
TROLL WORLD ORDER 4 LIFE

kevin hash

Post by kevin hash »

Decline 2 is better than the first one.

As much as I love black flag and the germs it all pales in comparison to chris holmes in a swimming pool and the band Odin.
TROLL WORLD ORDER 4 LIFE

Foot Foot
Jesus never gave me that bike!

Post by Foot Foot »

kevin hash wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:38 pm
Cinderella "Night Songs" is pretty goddamned solid.

came here to post this

FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

honestly james this thing absolutely fucks and you're the one who turned me on to it
TEAM CARE COORDINATOR