The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by spacehamster »

Wang Mandu wrote:Oh man oh man oh man

Fucking hell. :bean:
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

milkmandan wrote:I'm stuck on the "Kamikaze" trophy in Heavy Rain (the one where you have to drive the "best path" on the highway. Can't wait to be done with this game.
When the car tries to bump you, and you have to turn the controller away from it, do that turn in a slow, controlled movement rather than quick jerk.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

riley-o wrote:
milkmandan wrote:I'm stuck on the "Kamikaze" trophy in Heavy Rain (the one where you have to drive the "best path" on the highway. Can't wait to be done with this game.
When the car tries to bump you, and you have to turn the controller away from it, do that turn in a slow, controlled movement rather than quick jerk.
Yeah, I figured that part out. I've actually nailed the run perfectly a few times. I even got the "You have unlocked a new achievement" message during the subsequent loading screen. The Kamikaze Trophy and the one for completing all of the trials never popped. Weird.

The most frustrating thing is that you have start back at the garage if you make it all the way to the end, and you have no real way of know if you messed something up along the way. This is the only game I have ever played where trophies don't pop as you earn them. Annoying.
ImageImageImage
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by guardianoftheblind »

so dying light seems like it could be really fun...
ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

guardianoftheblind wrote:so dying light seems like it could be really fun...
First impressions I've read denote otherwise.

I pre-ordered Grim Fandango off the PSN, so should it be downloading tonight then? I never pre-ordered from Sony or Microsoft before.
riley-o
Chad Thundercock

Post by riley-o »

There's a trophy guide here Dougy

http://m.ca.ign.com/wikis/heavy-rain/Trophy_Guide

You're not getting a perfect run on kamikaze; the trophy pops if you do it properly. The second last input where you tilt the controller fucked up literally every single person who tried to get that trophy.
HEAD BOPPAZ RECORDS YOU BITCH-ASS HOES
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The HD version of the RE remake that just came out looks shockingly good for what it is, but I will never get over the fixed camera and how it basically makes the game unplayable. And at this point in gaming history, it's even less acceptable. Game isn't even scary, it's just annoying.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

spacehamster wrote:but I will never get over the fixed camera and how it basically makes the game unplayable. And at this point in gaming history, it's even less acceptable.
It came out in 1996. Next thing you're going to tell me is isometric view is unplayable.
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Wang Mandu wrote: It came out in 1996.
Hence why I said it's much worse now than it seemed back then, but I very clearly remember the fixed camera and the aiming already pissing me off at the time because it made aiming a pain in the ass. I never finished the game because I thought it was cheap and annoying. Of course there weren't a zillion other third person action games with nearly identical controls to compare it to back then and we were far more accepting of... idiosyncrasies like that, but it never seemed like a well designed game to me, even in 96. There were plenty of games that handled perfectly fine back then and long before it, RE just wasn't one of them.
milkmandan
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by milkmandan »

riley-o wrote:There's a trophy guide here Dougy

http://m.ca.ign.com/wikis/heavy-rain/Trophy_Guide

You're not getting a perfect run on kamikaze; the trophy pops if you do it properly. The second last input where you tilt the controller fucked up literally every single person who tried to get that trophy.
Got it! Thanks mane
ImageImageImage
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

spacehamster wrote:
Wang Mandu wrote: It came out in 1996.
Hence why I said it's much worse now than it seemed back then, but I very clearly remember the fixed camera and the aiming already pissing me off at the time because it made aiming a pain in the ass. I never finished the game because I thought it was cheap and annoying. Of course there weren't a zillion other third person action games with nearly identical controls to compare it to back then and we were far more accepting of... idiosyncrasies like that, but it never seemed like a well designed game to me, even in 96. There were plenty of games that handled perfectly fine back then and long before it, RE just wasn't one of them.
I played the demo when it came out and after an hour or so deleted it again because that control scheme fucking sucked. didn't make sense then, doesn't make sense now. Apart from technological aspects (and there are exceptions for this as well, most playstation-era 3D games for example looked like shit compared to good pixel graphics in SNES or Genesis games) it doesn't make that much sense IMHO to say a game was "good for its time". Take Super Mario Bros, I still play it on a regular basis and almost everything about it is still awesome. Same for Doom. Metroid on the NES, despite being groundbreaking in many aspects, had some things which were stupid even at the time, like having to bomb some random block that looks exactly like all the other thousand blocks in the game. Games which were good in 1981, like Lady Bug, are still good today. There's a reason people are still playing the great arcade classics today.
Last edited by THE KILL on Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
THE KILL
O.G. Interwebber

Post by THE KILL »

Pisscubes wrote:I absolutely understand a game being good/important for its time. Resident Evil sort of codified and a whole game genre. Yeah, the controls sucked but they improved those as time went on. The limited supplies combined with the fact that combat is something that should be shied away from most of the time and even when you do engage in it, the enemies don't drop shit was a pretty cool development. I guess the sloppy shooting would mean more to me if the game didn't spend so much time actively trying to get you NOT to shoot everything.

Doom is an amazing game... for its time. I go back and play it and find the shooting clunky and hard to deal with along with the controls, but it doesn't mean it wasn't an amazing game for its time. It's just that we've improved on it so much.
"Good" and "important" are different things though. I don't know, it's just that in most cases when I replay the classics they still hold up amazingly well and I'm convinced nostalgia is only like 10% of the enjoyment of it.
The Bill wrote:Kids today with their artificially flavored kunt hands!
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

I kind of like the fixed camera. It's a cheap tactic, but I dig it. It was always the tank turning that pissed me off. With that gone the game is perfectly good to me.

Geoff, you mentioned DOOM having clunky controls. Play it with a source port like GZDoom or Doomsday. Problem gone, and then the game holds up and is still better than most modern shooters. I highly suggest checking out Brutal Doom. If I can count any game from any year that I played during the year 2014 as a GOTY, it would have been that.
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

ghost boner wrote:you can get it on the fire stick too. theres nothing this thing cant do
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] :tup:
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

fuck the haters. dying light is really cool so far.

it may not re-invent the wheel, but it's a blast to play. hell just exploring is worth it so far
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

guardianoftheblind wrote:Image
lol did you just swipe that from my tumblr?
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
delmuerte
The boss of you.

Post by delmuerte »

Yeah, so far, not so bad. Kind of a Far Cry 3/4 meets Dead Island thing. Enjoying it, but also getting annoyed by the same things that annoy me about both those games. Namely that you get hit once or twice and you're dead and secondly that there's a lot of bullshit fetch and schlep shit so far.
guardianoftheblind wrote:fuck the haters. dying light is really cool so far.

it may not re-invent the wheel, but it's a blast to play. hell just exploring is worth it so far
elephants gerald
One Of Many Accounts

Post by elephants gerald »

playing grim fandango for the first time

:awesome:
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

I will try that after this semester is over. i cant get more than 15 minutes to bame these days so i have been playing eldrich and tinykeep.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

New PC comes tomorrow. Can't wait to play a game from 2001 on it.

I'll probably buy Bioshock Infinite and examine the differences as well.
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

copstache wrote:
guardianoftheblind wrote:Image
lol did you just swipe that from my tumblr?
r/metalgearsolid
guardianoftheblind
Sir Posts-A-Lot

elephants gerald
One Of Many Accounts

Post by elephants gerald »

:lol:
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

What's that, at the Quelaag bossfight? Psh.